Author Topic: Spontaneously Remembering Old Dreams  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Kavik

Spontaneously Remembering Old Dreams
« on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 13:52:02 »
Do you ever suddenly remember a dream from *years* ago that you didn't even remember at the time it originally happened?

This is a rare occurrence for me, but it has happened three or four times. Just now, my mind blasted me with a mental image of a place from a dream, and I had to consider for a few seconds whether it was a real place or from a dream. It was from a dream that I had probably ten years ago but never remembered until this very moment.

It's weird the things that are locked in mind but not accessible.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Spontaneously Remembering Old Dreams
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 14:13:58 »
The conscious day to day is but one aspect of personal humanity.

Does the government rule the people or the other way around.

There's more to everything than can be processed consciously..

It's not accurate to call it locked away....  For example does microsoft word know that the color to the monitor is corrected by the graphics card ?

No, microsoft word just writes something,  the graphics card gets it, looks up a table, and then outputs..

The mind is the same..

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 14:40:33 »
At night, I dream usually of the places in which I grew up. But as dreams tend to be, the features changed in my dreams, and merge with other features from other places.
The weird thing is that some features reoccur in later dreams, over and over again. There are like a whole different neighbourhoods that have now more or less permanent features in my mind at nights.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 October 2018, 18:57:05 by Findecanor »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 16:24:45 »
At night, I dream usually of the places in which I grew up. But as dreams tend to be, the features changed in my dreams, and merge with other features from other places.
The weird thing is that some features reoccur in later dreams, over and over again. There are like a whole different neighbourhoods that have now more or less permanent features in my mind at nights.

The weirdest things are the true dreams - of events and things yet to happen in real life. It does not happen that often nowadays but it did more often when I was a child. I have seen buildings that were erected years later but had not even been planned at the time. One of these got the door number 113 in real life, which is a number that has been haunting me all my life.
I have dreamed waking up at the operating table, long before I went into surgery -- I did not understand what it was at the time. I had dreamed about the break-up of a hacker group that I had been in, together with scenery of the place where it happened. These dreams tend to feel special.

Mental structures are organized based on our spatial memory.

This is because our most basic use of memory seeems to be remembering where there's food..

So everything branches from that core organization system..

As you learn new things,  it is sorted as branches on existing paths/ or similar paths.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 17:08:10 »
OK that is really weird, because I was thinking about this very thing this morning. Now I don't ever really remember any of my dreams, not since I was a teenager have I really remembered what I dreamt about. But my brain does this annoying thing where it will remember a portion of a dream while I am awake making me feel as if it actually happened to me, but by the virtue of not remembering the actual dream it came from I will just be left with this residual dejavu. So basically whenever I have a memory that I am fairly certain did not actually happen in reality I attribute it to being a memory from a dream I don't remember, but it's my brain's way of recalling that stuff. When I'm 85 and have dementia this will really **** with me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 17:10:52 »
OK that is really weird, because I was thinking about this very thing this morning. Now I don't ever really remember any of my dreams, not since I was a teenager have I really remembered what I dreamt about. But my brain does this annoying thing where it will remember a portion of a dream while I am awake making me feel as if it actually happened to me, but by the virtue of not remembering the actual dream it came from I will just be left with this residual dejavu. So basically whenever I have a memory that I am fairly certain did not actually happen in reality I attribute it to being a memory from a dream I don't remember, but it's my brain's way of recalling that stuff. When I'm 85 and have dementia this will really **** with me.

85.. ?? hahahaha..... you wish...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 18:51:56 »

85.. ?? hahahaha..... you wish...

I have those dna strands of people who smoke and drink well into their senior years and never get sick. As much as I want to die, unfortunately my body won't let me go naturally for a long time.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 21:43:56 »

I have those dna strands of people who smoke and drink well into their senior years and never get sick. As much as I want to die, unfortunately my body won't let me go naturally for a long time.

Unfortunately, those genes won't save you from the modern top killers..