Author Topic: Hi-Tek Space Invaders installation, etc  (Read 1511 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Hi-Tek Space Invaders installation, etc
« on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 12:45:47 »
I wanted to replace a couple of Hi-Tek switches that are semi-broken, that is, they still work but aren't quite "right" due to bent leaf, stretched spring, etc.

I have a donor board but can't seem to remove the switch. There are 4 legs, and I de-soldered each of them completely. At that point you can usually pull the switch out, even resort to pliers if necessary, but these seem tight.

I tried levering them up with a small screwdriver while heating the back, and even switched to a pointed tip on my soldering iron to push the pins out. In each case, it was able to push the leg in by about 1mm-2mm, and it seemed to have disengaged entirely from the solder joint, but it was still affixed tight to the board.

Are Hi-Teks mechanically fastened, or is there some trick to getting them off?

Thanks!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline skrsh3r

Re: Hi-Tek Space Invaders installation, etc
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 15:59:21 »

When you desolder them just squeeze those plastic tabs that arrows point at with some needle nose pliers while at the same time pulling whole switch up

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 19:49:01 »

When you desolder them just squeeze those plastic tabs that arrows point at with some needle nose pliers while at the same time pulling whole switch up

Thank you very much!

Exactly what I needed to know!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 01:31:18 »
the last poster is right. you may have to be careful of another thing: these switch legs dont have any stress relief, so if you overheat, the inside contacts mis-align. be careful, desolder completely and then slowly press the tabs 'in' to wiggle the switch out.
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)