Author Topic: Mark as Spam - Spammers beware  (Read 6294 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Mark as Spam - Spammers beware
« on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 14:59:43 »
What is this?  Mark as Spam is something akin to the report button, but it is not something which requires moderator intervention/action.

What does it do?  Mark as Spam starts an invisible counter.  The counter goes to 10, and works once per account per post.  Once the counter reaches 10 the spammers post count is reduced by 1.  The counter does not react in multiples of 10.  The idea is if you make a spam post... you can have that spam post voted off your post count via this invisible and preferably impartial system.

Who would it affect?  Anyone who makes a crappy post outside of Off-Topic, and gets designated a spammer by 10 or more individuals.

Why should we care?  Spammers often get into classifieds and don't contribute to the hack in a constructive manner.  Other folks also make some ridiculous posts which just generally annoy.  Removing spam posts without labeling them as a spammer openly shows our willingness to accept folks into the community, but unwillingness to accept a considerable load of junk into the body of the forums.

What would this accomplish?  Hopefully people will get the hint... if they post 30 times a day and only get post count +15 something might change.  The community is also empowered to police themselves without things turning into a witch hunt.  You won't be bullied by the "crowd", and I would find it in bad taste if someone marked a spam post then posted "Marked your post as spam."  Such a response would probably label the finger pointer as a spammer.  Everyone has a choice without peer pressure to try and make this place better in a subtle way.

Rock on hackers.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Mark as Spam - Spammers beware
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:04:04 »
What happens if people just decide they don't like something a poster does and they start alerting all of a person's posts unnecessarily? Not that anyone on here would be like that.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:04:43 »
That can already happen with the report to moderator button ray.

Edit: I do like the idea of the community policing itself though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:06:20 by CPTBadAss »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:07:48 »

I report people all the time  :-X

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:16:50 »

That report button sends a notice to the mods.   They don't need to be getting spammed by report notices imo.  If a spammer gets dinged by 1 person on all their posts... that's just one person.  It takes 10 total to get a post count retracted by my suggestion.

The Mark as Spam is not a public thing... it does not report negatively except by post count.  This is not meant to hurt people's feels without reason.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:17:45 »

All your unnecessary spam posts should be reported all the time.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:20:14 »

:-[

Am I really a bad person?  :'(

Offline missalaire

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:28:37 »

Yes, a filthy spammer.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:29:47 »

Yes, a filthy spammer.

No vintage blacks for you!  >:D

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:36:11 »
Don't really like it. Afraid it would lead to abuse with generally disliked users, and disagreements in general.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:42:21 »

Yes, a filthy spammer.

No vintage blacks for you!  >:D

No more great finds for you! Someone's gotta protect your wallet.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:44:10 »
Don't really like it. Afraid it would lead to abuse with generally disliked users, and disagreements in general.
I dont think tp4 would have more than 4 posts after a week.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:58:50 »
actually missilaire would be saving us money if she didn't post any great finds. Maybe I should start marking everything she finds as spam...  ;D ;D ;D

on the other hand, I never buy anything she finds anyway. It is perpetually some Amazon or Newegg or whatever US retailer denied to us savages living outside the US of A, or else some mail in rebates and we all know how crappy mail in rebates are.  :p :p :p
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 16:04:27 »

Sometimes people like things on facebook just because their friend liked it... they may dislike something with their friends as well.  Because the spam post doesn't show anything I would hope it would deter the horde mentality to a degree.  I would also assume people would use the function for its proposed task. 

That is to say people use it for its intended purpose.  I would HOPE people would use it for its intended purpose.  Just like how people can use their hands for good or violence and I hope people use them well every day.

It would take at my current spec 10 people willing to consider a post spam for the post count to be removed.

Hopefully if it was an option at sometime the post count be recovered somehow if there was avid abuse.

Without a doubt that would be the worst case scenario.  Sort of like the scenario of admins/mods banning/warning without reason.  It's the worst case scenario.  We still have them because they serve a purpose.  It does not mean that their function is entirely without risk to the masses or the unpopular.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 16:08:14 »

Sometimes people like things on facebook just because their friend liked it... they may dislike something with their friends as well.  Because the spam post doesn't show anything I would hope it would deter the horde mentality to a degree.  I would also assume people would use the function for its proposed task. 

That is to say people use it for its intended purpose.  I would HOPE people would use it for its intended purpose.  Just like how people can use their hands for good or violence and I hope people use them well every day.

It would take at my current spec 10 people willing to consider a post spam for the post count to be removed.

Hopefully if it was an option at sometime the post count be recovered somehow if there was avid abuse.

Without a doubt that would be the worst case scenario.  Sort of like the scenario of admins/mods banning/warning without reason.  It's the worst case scenario.  We still have them because they serve a purpose.  It does not mean that their function is entirely without risk to the masses or the unpopular.

So would each person only get 1 'submission' per post? And I'm guessing the mods would have a way to check if it was being abused?

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 16:12:19 »
A long post I'm not quoting for the sake of scroll wheels everywhere
Definitely fair points. The worry still applies, however, to already unpopular opinions.

For example, a new user posts that he is considering a topre board. A lot of topre fans jump in to encourage him. Another user posts a more negative (but by no means inflammatory) opinion of topre and is quickly marked as spam.

As long as it's reversible, and admins can warn abusers, it sounds good though.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 17:01:23 »
To ray:  Yes I would really be upset if the feature were added and people could lose multiple posts points because of one post, and I would be even more upset if people could hit the button 10 times and get the person's post count -1.

To Communist:  There needs to be protection against mass ignorance.  If it started to get to where people submit Mark as Spam notices for trolls who should be reported... then there's a problem.  The intended function is to deter people from being consistent white noise and get rewarded for that behavior.

Derailing threads, posting keyboard/switch propaganda when it is really unwanted, and generally mucking up the place could result in a dented post count :|  Huge problem?  Maybe for someone's ego out there.

I'm looking at CPTBadAss :p

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 15:10:48 »
I like this. I haven't been back on GH that long after being away for a long time, but I have already felt the need to add one user (who shall remain nameless) to my ignore list. With this feature I could take them off ignore, and just flag their off-topic/thread crap posts as spamtastic instead, which would result in a benefit to the whole community, not just me.

IMO, I think this would result in cleaner threads that don't get derailed, not "group-think." It's worth a try if possible, anyway.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 12:15:20 »

I thought about reporting a PM once, but I figured that the mods had better things to worry about.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 12:54:21 »

I thought about reporting a PM once, but I figured that the mods had better things to worry about.

Yeah I don't report things much anymore I got in told I reported too much stuff. So then I decided just to spend my time posting more. ;)

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 16:07:38 »
would have to say reporting has been a god-send at times.  Thanks mods :D

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 06:16:46 »
Now this is different! But it won't work with me--no matter how many times my posts are downvoted, I'll still have a count over 5000. Hehehe...
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 19:03:15 »
I just reported my first person! I deserve a medal!

TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 04:16:48 »
I report them first!  Twice!!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 06:37:36 »
What about the people who continually bump (way more than every 24hours) their WTB, WTT, FS etc....is it worthwhile to report those? a lot of that seems to be ok depending on 'who' you are.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 August 2013, 07:04:07 by SpAmRaY »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 06:59:04 »
A lot of those are established members that have given quite a lot to the community, so there is a little bit of give and take.

Not like a noob who bumps their link every hour because it hasn't sold.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 07:03:50 »
A lot of those are established members that have given quite a lot to the community, so there is a little bit of give and take.

Oh I thought it was just people who have things everyone wants and no one wants to piss them off in case somethings come up they want.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 07:13:16 »

Oh I thought it was just people who have things everyone wants and no one wants to piss them off in case somethings come up they want.

Yeah, that too ;)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 07:19:18 »

Yeah, that too ;)

Rowdy what time/day is it in Australia?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 22:53:07 »

Yeah, that too ;)

I went to bed just before you posted that, so sorry for the late replace.

Was about 10:15pm, but I am supposed to be packing to move house.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:33:48 »

Yeah, that too ;)

So your about 15 hours ahead.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 15:02:22 »

Yeah, that too ;)

So your about 15 hours ahead.

About that, yeah, depending on where you are in the US.

's where it's funny that you guys are kicking back on a Sunday arvo and I'm already heading to work on Monday morning, like in about half an hour.

Anyways, back on topic please :)