Author Topic: Measurement Question  (Read 4233 times)

Offline tedfs3

• No Mercy Given
Measurement Question
« on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 21:04:20 »
Knee deep in a 3rd revision of a keyboard, trying to learn KiCad and everything else and realized I hadn't actually measured anything physically yet.

Standard key unit is 19 mm ± 1 mm. Grabbed a couple of the keys I plan on using and am getting around 18.11mm - 18.12mm at the base average.
Started measuring the footprints I have in KiCad and see they are 18.80mm end to end with a .25mm spacing in between.

Is this going to be okay or should I make my own footprints that are exactly 19mm ? Not really sure what the proper spacing between them should be.
Maybe I'm not measuring them in KiCad properly ?
216814-0

Offline katotaka

Re: Measurement Question
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 22:15:29 »
IIRC the "standard" pitch is 19.05mm, but some plate generators have the option to use both 19.05 and 19.00mm

Offline hanya

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 23:34:02 »
Use module coordinate to determin key pitch.
PFU HHKB JP, Sanwa MA-TB38 trackball

Offline tedfs3

• No Mercy Given
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 23:54:40 »
Use module coordinate to determin key pitch.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what that is. Could you explain further or point me in the right direction to learn more about what you're speaking of ?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 12:26:07 »
"Pitch" is center-to-center or edge-to-edge distance, that is, the size of the key plus the space between (technically 2 half-spaces, each side).

Good ole Imperial measure, 3/4" is one standard unit.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"