Author Topic: Swapping switches on a VB87M  (Read 1654 times)

Offline waffle418

Swapping switches on a VB87M
« on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 11:12:18 »
A while back I bought a VB87M with intent of it being my travelling keyboard.  I got it with a switch I hadn't used previously (1st mistake) and it soon became a box sitter.  I decided that I was going to resurrect it and make it my traveler come hell or high water.  So I started it out.

Desoldered the LEDS (the new bane of my existence) and Gateron Clears.

Got all the MxWhites in place and checked to make sure no pins bent in the process.

Soldered and tested!

Top back on and working (still!!).

Stock keycaps back on.

Last but not least, paired up and working.

I did solder 3 LEDs back in (the scroll lock, caps lock and the Ins button which doubles as the power indicator).  Overall, I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out and it has once again become my travelling keyboard!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Swapping switches on a VB87M
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 12:04:37 »
That's a big travelling board, and it's white - I hope you have a sleeve or it could look grubby real fast.

Good work on the switch swap though, not one lifted pad :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline waffle418

Re: Swapping switches on a VB87M
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 12:10:51 »
Thanks!!  Next part of the project is to plastidip it to a nice deep bluish/purple.  I had a sleeve made  for carrying too, so double covered.  I like having the f-row since a lot of the stuff I do at work uses it frequently.  I do have a custom design in mind for when I get some more cash thatll usurp this as the traveler, but until then, its been treating me well!