Author Topic: Wrist rest for mouse-arm..?  (Read 11237 times)

Offline Bucake

Wrist rest for mouse-arm..?
« on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 07:25:43 »
so i got some RSI going on (right arm) and i found out there are these "mouse wrist rests".
i'm talking about something like this:

so my question is;
does anyone here have any experience with them?
does it help your wrist relax?
is there a specific one you would recommend?
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline MykB77

Re: Wrist rest for mouse-arm..?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 20:49:59 »
The newest ones I have seen have a indented channel up the middle to take strain off the nerves.

Offline MykB77

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 20:52:19 »
I forgot to add I am currently using an Allsop wrist rest that is memory foam and has sliders on the bottom and moves with your arms.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 02:15:59 »
thanks a lot for the reply :-)
i'll check it out
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 08:44:18 »
Wrist rests are a big no-no instead of helping you they actually make the problem worse (sorry don't have links for this but you cant find various posts on GH about it).

You should check out this post of mine from little less then a year ago: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70338.msg1717330#msg1717330
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Truly Ergonomic Keyboard 229
2x Kinesis Freestyle V3-VIP
2x Bamboo Pen & Touch (Mouse replacement)
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline Bucake

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 09:14:28 »
Wrist rests are a big no-no instead of helping you they actually make the problem worse (sorry don't have links for this but you cant find various posts on GH about it).

You should check out this post of mine from little less then a year ago: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70338.msg1717330#msg1717330

hey, thanks a lot for the input.
i was already looking at trackballs and vertical mice, but hadn't thought of a tablet yet.
unfortunately i'm hesitant to try any of them, since none of them are cheap.

can i ask how long you've used your tablet now, and if there's any sign of pain/strain?
and do you sometimes play games? :-)

Offline Sc0tTy

• Ergo enthousiast
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 10:24:07 »

hey, thanks a lot for the input.
i was already looking at trackballs and vertical mice, but hadn't thought of a tablet yet.

can i ask how long you've used your tablet now, and if there's any sign of pain/strain?
and do you sometimes play games? :-)

No pain or strain here, been using them for about 6-7 years <3 Whenever I go back to mice my issues come back slowely (only use em when I don't have the tablet available).
I haven't played games for a while but its not that great at it, specially shooters.
1x ErgoDox EZ
2x Truly Ergonomic Keyboard 229
2x Kinesis Freestyle V3-VIP
2x Bamboo Pen & Touch (Mouse replacement)
2x Salli Swing
1x Herman Miller Aeron

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 12:45:18 »
I like my mouse wrist rest. I actually use two at work, and one at home.
The ones at work I have are a 3M mouse pad with an attached rest, and then I have this little beanbag rest I use to prop my elbow. Since my elbow lies on the flat desk at work most of time, it starts to ache after a while. That, and I've noticed my longsleeves get holes right in that spot!

Offline zombiegristle

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 14:40:22 »
The newest ones I have seen have a indented channel up the middle to take strain off the nerves.

This is the exact reason I started using certain mousepads. I rest the wrist bones on the gel and the carpal tunnel has no pressure on it, often not even touching. When I was younger I had a favorite wrist rest from Fellowes that was a similar shape, but it died a cruel death at the hands of bored callcenter grunts and I could never find another one.

Offline Vypr

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 23:42:22 »
I use an ErgoRest (http://www.ergorest.fi/en/) 330 series articulating arm support and I've significantly reduced my wrist pain.
It's pretty expensive, but for me it was worth it.
current keyboard: VE.A (home) WhiteFox TrueFox (home)  MD1 Infinity (Home)  Infinity Ergodox (work)
future keyboards:

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 19:19:35 »
Can you get someone to take a picture of your arms (and maybe your whole torso) as you type/mouse the way you usually do, in your current setup? (Or even a video, if you want to get fancy.)

Second, a question: how much mousing do you do on a daily basis, and for what kind of activities? Are we talking about professional CAD/Photoshop use? 5 hours of video games per day? Just navigating around a web browser? What other kind of activity do you do with your hands? E.g. are you a serious tennis player or guitarist? A rock climber? ...

People here can then probably provide some more contextually relevant advice.

Absent that, my one-sentence #1 most important piece of hand-tool ergonomic advice (goes for musical instruments, sports equipment, keyboards, whatever else): Make sure your wrists are in a relatively neutral (i.e. straight) position. The closer to neutral your wrists get, the stronger and more flexible your fingers will be, and the lower your chances of injury.

Once your wrists are straight, try to adjust your setup so that other joints are also in a relatively neutral position, with as low a continuous/static load as possible. If you need to do some activity which requires a static load on some muscles, make sure to take frequent breaks, change positions from time to time, etc. Finally, make sure you get enough sleep, enough exercise, eat healthy, and don’t have too much family/relationship/job/etc. stress in your life, if you can help it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 March 2016, 19:28:27 by jacobolus »

Offline zombiegristle

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 06:00:46 »
I can see about getting a pic of my "work stance" in a few days when I have a spare set of hands to man a camera available.

My mousing activities include browsing, tech illustration, LOTS of Office, infrequent Minecrafting, and flying ships in Star Citizen. Various combinations of these, primarily Office and browsing, for 10+ hours every day, no days off.

My other wrist activies include weaving maille, repairing my old car, playing Splatoon and Halo, time at the pistol range, and doorframe chinups. These are less frequent except the last one, part of my "stay healthy" mantra is anytime I pass under a doorframe in my apartment I do one.

I've never had any issues with RSI, and I have mad grip strength for someone of my build. I once opened a jar of pickles...and then opened ANOTHER one right away.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 March 2016, 11:03:19 by zombiegristle »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 16:01:04 »
10+ hours every day, no days off.
You might want to scale that back until your symptoms subside.

Offline zombiegristle

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 16:08:55 »
10+ hours every day, no days off.
You might want to scale that back until your symptoms subside.

I've never had any issues with RSI

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 17:56:07 »
Oh, sorry zombiegristle, I thought you were the OP. My suggestion to take a picture and answer questions about use habits was addressed at him, since he mentioned that “i got some RSI going on”. I’m not quite sure why you responded to tell us your habits; they don’t seem especially relevant to the OP’s symptoms.

But anyway, I’m glad you’re keeping yourself healthy out there.

Offline zombiegristle

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 18:01:00 »
Ah, I thought you were just after data gathering. OP asked some questions about folks' use of wrist rests etc, and I just assumed you were probing for more info from the masses.

Offline MykB77

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 00:51:08 »
I used to only use a wrist rest for my keyboard, but I happened to get one of those new glorious pc gaming race wrist rests for my keyboard (which are nice cause they're at keyboard height and wide), so I used my old wrist rest for a bit for my mouse hand. And I have to say it was actually really comfortable! However I've seen stopped using it since it took up so much space but I think ultimately it doesn't really affect my right wrist much as of now.

Offline Bithor

Offline Rhedone

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 11:22:23 »
Just get one of these mousepads
https://www.google.se/search?q=oppai+mousepad&biw=1366&bih=636&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjM7oP4ytbLAhVLFSwKHUhhBiUQ_AUIBygB

;)
Slight NSFW warning, depending on how light hearted your coworkers are and how much you care about what they think of you

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 11:46:28 »
I advise against wrist rests. They cause more harm than good, often keep your arm still and force your wrist to do all the moving, which probably would make the RSI worse.

I'd reconsider the trackball or vertical mouse. For example this Vertical mouse, 5,50e shipped. Can't go wrong giving it a shot. Also trackballs are quite cheap on ebay. You can get for example the Logitech TrackMan Marble at around 25-30e from UK. I've had a drawing tablet until it broke, but I can't imagine using it for day-to-day use, unless what you do is just basic browsing.

Also, don't forget about doing wrist exercises:

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 21:24:20 »

Defo not an expert here, but my experience was that they were restricting blood flow by putting pressure on my veings, in a way I couldn't bear to allow, so I got rid of them. I might try a solid piece of wood (or a book in the meantime), to simply shorten the distance from desk surface. More for the keyboard than the mouse.

The problem with pressing keys while having your wrists supported is that you have less strength, so it's more painful, as your muscles need to work harder to click.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 May 2016, 21:27:39 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline eohmiller

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 16:30:21 »
I've seen a lot of these attached to trackball mice. Kind of a neat idea.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 15:50:44 »
I recommend keyboard rest and mouse wrist rest with Erogbead inside.
For example, the brand IMAK.

Wood rests are too hard if you really rest and put the weight of your arm onto it; gel rests are still too hard if you apply pressure from time to time, and the more pressure you apply, the harder the gel pad becomes. Bead bags are the only truly compressible material that will really "give" and will not rebound to build up force onto your wrist. That's my real experience in search for a few years.

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 May 2016, 15:53:15 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 15:53:40 »
I was a fan of wrist rests when I used a mouse. Keeps your arm off the edge of the desk, but, more importantly, it actually gives you a bit of extra vertical range of motion if you use fingertip grip.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104