Author Topic: CM Storm Low-Profile Casemod  (Read 4091 times)

Offline goobafish

CM Storm Low-Profile Casemod
« on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 16:16:33 »
Hey guys,

Looking for some help on a project. I bought a CM Storm Rapid with MX Greens on sale, and really want to try customizing it. I am looking to either modify a case or make a lower profile case, so that the there is no lip on the case, and the switches can be seen from the side. To go along with this I joined a group buy for some DA profile caps to really stand out. Here is a picture of what I am talking about from another GH member's project: http://i.imgur.com/niKYw0E.jpg. Is there any way anyone can think of to modify the current case? Are there any cases available that will serve this function? Any ideas for building it? Will keep this updated with pictures.

Thanks!

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
Re: CM Storm Low-Profile Casemod
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 16:36:15 »
Who's case did you link?
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline goobafish

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 16:54:19 »
Its made by acantha based on MOS open source case.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 07:59:04 »
You could just remove the top (Here's a guide) but then you will expose the controller board which is located between the Cursor and Nav keys. The controller makes low-profile cases like the one linked impossible.

I am in favour of this classy mod that nanu did with his Filco - it is built in a similar way to the QFR. Hobby supply stores often sell thin pieces of wood that can be used.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 January 2014, 08:03:39 by Findecanor »

Offline goobafish

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 09:08:21 »
Is there any way to move the controller to the back of the board? I am not sure if it will interfere with putting a thin case on, as it may not sit flush with the bottom. The wooden mod looks interesting, but I would hate to have pieces fall off when it moves, looking for something sturdier/more permanent.

Offline goonx

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 14:14:19 »
you can use hardwood but you need to be good with woodworking. It can be very sturdy if built properly.