Author Topic: SteelSeries 6Gv2 map windows key  (Read 52596 times)

Offline stormers

SteelSeries 6Gv2 map windows key
« on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 10:34:33 »
Hi,
Anybody know how to replace/map the media keys on steelseries 6gV2 to windows key?
I have tried several utilities such as sharpkeys and autohotkeys, but it's not working.
Thanks.

Offline stormers

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 16:02:19 »
thanks for the welcome.
Autohotkey can't capture that. I'll try the Aquakeytest. :D

Offline Zen

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 13:50:42 »
The steelseries modifier-key is "hardcoded" ,
it just activates the layer with the media-keys.
Scancodes are the standard windows multimedia ones afaik ..

Offline stormers

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 22:37:15 »
Quote from: Zen;221676
The steelseries modifier-key is "hardcoded" ,
it just activates the layer with the media-keys.
Scancodes are the standard windows multimedia ones afaik ..

Does this mean it is not possible to remap this key to windows key?

I raised a support ticket @steelseries.com . I'll post the updated feedback here. Let's hope some driver or application can be provided.

Offline lmnop

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 September 2010, 22:56:23 »
you cannot remap it.

early versions of the Das Model S had the same Media Key layout.

there is a tutorial how to bridge the R-Windows Key to the L-Windows Key on the Das Model S.

Offline stormers

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 06:10:24 »
Thanks for the link imnop. I hope I don't need to go that way to resolve this issue.

@ripster, totally agree with u. I don't understand how they decided to replace the left windows keys without option to changing that back.

The left windows key has been there for ages. Even on most notebook keyboard, they take the right windows key to save spaces instead of the left one.

Offline lmnop

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 07:09:23 »
Quote from: stormers;221916
Thanks for the link imnop. I hope I don't need to go that way to resolve this issue.

@ripster, totally agree with u. I don't understand how they decided to replace the left windows keys without option to changing that back.

The left windows key has been there for ages. Even on most notebook keyboard, they take the right windows key to save spaces instead of the left one.

you're welcome.

you will have to. the steelseries key has no scancode it only communicates with the keyboard.

the steelseries 6gv2 is marketed towards gamers. turning the L-Windows Key into a Function Key not only adds a second layer of Media Keys but ensures you don't accidentally press the L-Windows Key during a game.

for the Das Model S I would of chosen the R-Windows Key because it's a typing keyboard and Metadot is a programming company.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 September 2010, 07:12:33 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 07:12:56 »
Quote from: stormers;221916

you're welcome.

you will have to. the steelseries key has no scancode it only communicates with the keyboard.

the steelseries 6gv2 is marketed towards gamers. turning the L-Windows Key into a Function Key not only adds a second layer of Media Keys but ensures you don't accidentally press the L-Windows Key during a game.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 September 2010, 07:23:39 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 07:23:19 »
Quote from: lmnop;221928
you're welcome.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 13:02:06 »
Maybe it's just me but who really does accidentally hit the windows key ingame?
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline stormers

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 21:47:01 »
Reply from SteelSeries support.
xxxxxx,

Unfortunately this key is hardcoded to be a toggle key for the alternate functions on the function keys. We chose to omit the Windows key here as most gamers do not use the function and it becomes a hinderance while gaming.

Apologies for any inconvenience. If I may be of further assistance please let me know. Thanks.

Regards,
xxxxxxx
SteelSeries Support

Offline lmnop

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 00:00:42 »
see I was right :)

Offline stormers

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 00:46:08 »
yeah, lmnop is right. ><
I'll keep you guys updated if I do the mod and whether I screwed up or not.

Offline lmnop

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 01:18:08 »
I read the steelseries 7g is difficult to disassemble so be careful.

Offline robb

Re: SteelSeries 6Gv2 map windows key
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 04:11:12 »
I know this is an old topic but I guessed this might be interesting for people with the same problem (Google points here after all when you search for it). I tried the hack mentioned earlier (http://www.geoffbreach.com/hacks/das-keyboard-hack/) with a 6Gv2 and it works like a charm. The keyboard is easy to disassemble. The circuit board is done very nicely, even bordering the circuits for each individual key!

You can see the soldering in the attached picture. There are 4 pins in the Win-R key square. I used a voltmeter to check which ones to use because I did not trust the labels :P but the labels were correct. You can either use the two I used or the other two :)

Cheers

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 04:58:20 »
I know this is an old topic but I guessed this might be interesting for people with the same problem (Google points here after all when you search for it). I tried the hack mentioned earlier (http://www.geoffbreach.com/hacks/das-keyboard-hack/) with a 6Gv2 and it works like a charm. The keyboard is easy to disassemble. The circuit board is done very nicely, even bordering the circuits for each individual key!

You can see the soldering in the attached picture. There are 4 pins in the Win-R key square. I used a voltmeter to check which ones to use because I did not trust the labels :P but the labels were correct. You can either use the two I used or the other two :)

Cheers

Welcome to geekhack ! Thanks for sharing this.

Offline Pelvis

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 09:53:16 »
Gorgeous solution! This has been bothering me for years (I've had this KB since 2011!). I need my Win key now because want to use it as my modifier for i3wm.

Thanks a lot!

Oh, by the way - how does this affect the use of the Steelseries key for media controls (default config)? I would assume it disables it entirely?

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 10:12:09 »
Hi,
Anybody know how to replace/map the media keys on steelseries 6gV2 to windows key?
I have tried several utilities such as sharpkeys and autohotkeys, but it's not working.
Thanks.

I know only one solution. Open the board, solder wires from the media key to the corresponding leads on the left windows key.

I have done this only on one Chinese made board before, but it worked.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 01:00:29 »
This is totally boss. I, too, was disappointed to realize my 6Gv2 had no L Windows key. As I'm reasonably handy, I'm looking forward to doing this mod as soon as there's time. Meanwhile, thanks very much for filling me in on it, and confirming that it works quite well on the 6Gv2 in particular. Cheers, A.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Moses

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 20:26:04 »
Cheers
Thanks for this @robb, it worked a charm for my new 6gv2 last night.

For anyone else contemplating open keyboard surgery, here's a few things I found specific to the 6gv2.

1. after you remove the screws, use a bread knife to pop the bottom off along the seam on the space bar side.
2. here's a close up of  the two cuts I had to make in tracks on the PCB
101759-0

3. I pulled apart an ethernet cable and used two strands from inside that - here's a pic of it completed
101761-1
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 May 2015, 20:28:27 by Moses »

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 21:19:13 »
Yeah as people said you need to hard bridge it.

Though I find the win key is the less offensive part about the keyboard.  They really need to change the that keycap layout.

All SteelSeries 6GV2 owners need to send an e-mail to SteelSeries to complain.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Moses

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 22:58:13 »
Yeah as people said you need to hard bridge it.

Though I find the win key is the less offensive part about the keyboard.  They really need to change the that keycap layout.

All SteelSeries 6GV2 owners need to send an e-mail to SteelSeries to complain.
I'm pretty happy with it now tbh, though it'll take a while to get used to the location of the backslash. For $88 I can't complain though.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 06:45:02 »

You don't need to cut the traces. You only need to solder the wires. By doing that you retain the functionality of the media key. It may lead to conflicting messages being sent to the computer but I don't see how functions like Mute will conflict with the windows menu popping up (just close it again with any windows key; since you are not pressing a preset combo it won't trigger any other keyboard hidden layer function)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline pushist1y

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 17:25:39 »
You don't need to cut the traces. You only need to solder the wires. By doing that you retain the functionality of the media key.

If you don't cut traces you'll get ghost keystrokes. In my case i've got PrintScreen keystroke registering simultaneously with F5 and ScrollLock with Pause.