geekhack Community > Input Devices

Definitive Omron Switch Guide for Mice

<< < (38/44) > >>

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: smolid on Wed, 15 September 2021, 08:42:38 ---According to the datasheet the -01 marking refers to models which are rated to work at 0.1A instead of more general purpose non -01 models. I would guess that the -01 is more suitable for computer mice.
https://omronfs.omron.com/en_US/ecb/products/pdf/en-d2f.pdf

--- End quote ---
I believe you're referring to the ratings, which are typically max rating, not minimum.
We're not battling high voltage and amperage, we're battling an issue with too little amperage to maintain a closed connection and keep the contacts clean. Scroll down a bit, the number we need to pay attention to minimal applicable load and initial contact resistance.

Remember, most through-hole electronics, including switches, were designed back when low voltage was nowhere near what it is today. You used to always worry about how much it could handle, today with modern electronics we more often have to worry about how little a switch or connector can take and what frequencies it can handle.

smolid:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Thu, 16 September 2021, 03:55:38 ---
--- Quote from: smolid on Wed, 15 September 2021, 08:42:38 ---According to the datasheet the -01 marking refers to models which are rated to work at 0.1A instead of more general purpose non -01 models. I would guess that the -01 is more suitable for computer mice.
https://omronfs.omron.com/en_US/ecb/products/pdf/en-d2f.pdf

--- End quote ---
I believe you're referring to the ratings, which are typically max rating, not minimum.
We're not battling high voltage and amperage, we're battling an issue with too little amperage to maintain a closed connection and keep the contacts clean. Scroll down a bit, the number we need to pay attention to minimal applicable load and initial contact resistance.

Remember, most through-hole electronics, including switches, were designed back when low voltage was nowhere near what it is today. You used to always worry about how much it could handle, today with modern electronics we more often have to worry about how little a switch or connector can take and what frequencies it can handle.

--- End quote ---

I don't get what you mean, you just agreed that the problem is with too little amperage with current mice but prefer the non-01 general purpose model which has a spec'd minimum load of 100mA? Wouldn't the -01 model which is rated for 1mA minimum be the better choice?

Leslieann:
Yes, for continuous current, our problem is not the continuous, I mean, it is, but the bigger issue we have is initial load.

The initial resistance on the -01 is higher, meaning the switch has a harder time making that initial contact and staying there. If it can't make a good closed connection it will bounce. It needs a certain amount to overcome that bounce and stay shut before you can even start to worry about minimum current.

mozmail:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Fri, 29 April 2016, 23:23:04 ---Other Switch Brands
MoreYes, there are others that can be used, lots in fact. Most agree that the Omrons are the best and by far the most common in quality mice, which begs the question, if they are the norm, why do people and manufacturers make such a big deal over Omrons. “Look, I have the same as everyone else!”

WARNING!!!
While there are others that will go in, they are often slightly different sizes, and some are not designed for the low amperages we currently use in mice. So while they may fit and work for a bit, go back and read the -K designation before actually buying any.

Various brands:
Kinzu, Kana, Himake, Panasonic, Huanos (loud according to TP4Tissue), Zippy, Qiaoh and TTF
Interesting ones:
TTF  is considered quietest
Zippy uses a coil spring so may be more durable
--- End quote ---

What is the full name of "TTF"? Where can i find spec sheets of those? Where can i buy them?

Thanks

Handke:
What mouse would you suggest? Intersted in light springs and a fingertip grip. I like the logitech g203, endgame xm1r.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version