Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1266830 times)

Offline childofthehorn

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #3300 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 12:14:15 »
Function layer 1 keys need to be a 1.5u key just to the right of the spacebar.
The HHKB standard top-layer is best layout (other than the function layer key).
HHKB function layer is Hot Garbage
KBP V60 has best non-programmable function layer layout
6.25u space bars are too big, same with even 6u space bars. Why no 4u or 5u?
60% keyboards do not need dedicated arrows for anyone other than if you have other's "drive".
WASD arrows not as good as PL:" arrows (follows natural hand motion better).
G20 is worst keyboard keycap profile, followed by DSA
SA profile is best profile (1-2-3-4-3)
1.75u shift should be standard right shift.
1.25u left shift should be standard left shift with one 1u left function key to the left of it.
No one really needs more than a 75% layout (accountants can get a numpad OK)
Alps damped simple or Matias QC switches are still better than lubed Zealios.
Alps clicky or damped of any kind is better than all other switches in feels, even modded.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3301 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 00:12:08 »
G20 is worst keyboard keycap profile, followed by DSA
ayyyyy
SA profile is best profile (1-2-3-4-3)
ohh

1.75u shift should be standard right shift.
1.25u left shift should be standard left shift with one 1u left function key to the left of it.
easy with those hot takes lol
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3302 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 03:52:06 »
^^^ Sup  Middlesex County bro?

Is it an unpopular opinion to despise tactile clicks and only think linear switches are worth using?

I also think a switch that needs lube to work well is a switch that shouldn't get used. and 6.5x spacebar should be standard because it is superior

>>HHKB function layer is Hot Garbage
yup

>>G20 is worst keyboard keycap profile, followed by DSA
I don't see what so bad about DSA but G20 is for people who would use caps from $5 rubber domes if they could.

Offline mousouchop

« Reply #3303 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 09:20:45 »
As someone who's just getting into this stuff-- this is a somewhat comical and insightful thread. :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3304 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 09:26:17 »
My favorite board sports an XT layout ( AKA ANSI with ISO Enter) in a sixty format with MX Ergo Clears!

Isn't the XT layout a bigass enter with a split backspace, a bank of 10 f keys on the left side? Not really ANSI with an ISO. Also ISO is the most retarded layout ever made. Id rather use some weird antiquated terminal layout instead of that trash

The bigass enter is a different layout. The XT actually carries a vertical enter, but my implementation has an ISO Enter.

Original XT

My implementation

Another version

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3305 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 09:31:03 »
Is it an unpopular opinion to despise tactile clicks and only think linear switches are worth using?
With the domination of Zealio at the minute, perhaps, but linears are better.

Offline minilov3

« Reply #3306 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 11:24:22 »
With the domination of Zealio at the minute, perhaps, but linears are better.
linear > all xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline eratic

« Reply #3307 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 12:04:47 »
Membrane keycaps > mechanical keycaps

Let me explain. MK noob here. I love the typing feel on my new Corsair Strafe MX Brown but HATE the keycaps. I've been looking around for "low profile" keycaps, all I can find are DSA ($$$) and even they don't look that they would be as comfortable as my work membrane board (Microsoft 600).
Corsair Strafe [MX Brown]
Magicforce 108 [Gateron Blue]

Offline menuhin

« Reply #3308 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 12:36:00 »

Let me explain. MK noob here. I love the typing feel on my new Corsair Strafe MX Brown but HATE the keycaps. I've been looking around for "low profile" keycaps, all I can find are DSA ($$$) and even they don't look that they would be as comfortable as my work membrane board (Microsoft 600).

DSA profile keycap sets are some of the more affordable keycap sets in this hobby.
I know you prefer low profile but you can also check out the price tag of keycap sets in some other profiles.
Welcome to this hobby!  ;)
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline hking0036

« Reply #3309 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 12:58:07 »

If you want low profile DSA is fairly cheap so long as you're not looking for a crazy colorway. I think enjoypbt does cherry profile caps and those are about $70 for a full set, so those may be worth looking into. I think corsair commits the cardinal sin of screwing with the bottom row though. That seems to be kind of popular for some reason, Logitech did the same thing with their g710+ before they made their own switches.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3310 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 04:09:07 »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #3311 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 05:44:23 »
Doesn't make sense. See https://deskthority.net/wiki/Membrane_vs_rubber_dome

Didn't know that page.
I like the 2x2 table, pretty self-explanatory.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3312 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 20:09:00 »
oh and one more thing. stupid artisan plastic kcs make me puke. yes they actually did.

You're not supposed to eat them lol. But I agree, most of them look absolutely hideous. The only Artisans I can maybe approve of are properly colour coordinated dual-color mods that fit the profile. Those can look quite neat.

everyone knows deep down that they'll never reach "endgame", this is really just a big money-spending orgy

I strongly believe that I have an endgame. At least for keycaps I'm starting to realise that I won't ever buy one of those fancy keycap sets. I want orange and white blanks, that is 100% perfect. Keycap sets interest me on for like an hour and then when I look at them the next day I think to myself "but they don't look as good as what I already have".
Now I just need to figure out what profile is best for me and then I'm done with keycaps. Heresy, I know.

Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #3313 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 14:40:10 »

Then get a Cherry MX 3.0, you aren't going to find any decent sets that fit Corsair keyboards.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #3314 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 20:56:15 »
After using Topre, I'm surprised more people don't use them also. Is it because this many people have tried Topre and don't like it or because not many have tried Topre before?

Offline Altis

« Reply #3315 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 21:13:49 »
After using Topre, I'm surprised more people don't use them also. Is it because this many people have tried Topre and don't like it or because not many have tried Topre before?

My theory is that they're a little too similar to standard rubber dome keyboards and have little customization, making a lot of the enthusiasts seek something a little more different and exciting.

It's like a car enthusiast being bored with a brand new Lexus because what they want is an imported JDM R34 Skyline.  :cool:

I personally think Topre is objectively the best switch overall, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone, especially the enthusiasts. It's not like I don't have a bunch of other boards to spice it up.  :cool:
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3316 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 22:53:06 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:22:44 by alienman82 »

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3317 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 00:37:24 »

My theory is that they're a little too similar to standard rubber dome keyboards and have little customization, making a lot of the enthusiasts seek something a little more different and exciting.

It's like a car enthusiast being bored with a brand new Lexus because what they want is an imported JDM R34 Skyline.  :cool:

I personally think Topre is objectively the best switch overall, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone, especially the enthusiasts. It's not like I don't have a bunch of other boards to spice it up.  :cool:

jealous of your R34, USA import laws stink

What's the problem? importing into the USA is easy

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #3318 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 02:15:11 »

not as much for cars
something something keeping car manufacturing jobs in the US
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3319 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 13:25:00 »
Unpopular opinion #635: we should stop calling keysets "<something> Dolch" just because the alphas are dark gray and the modifiers are medium gray, especially when the legends are not uniformly white and/or more than one or two keys are some bright color. I mean, c'mon, what would Volker think?

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3320 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 13:38:40 »

not as much for cars
something something keeping car manufacturing jobs in the US

Oh yeah.... cars is hard.
i should have read more post context

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3321 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 13:51:06 »

I can easily see it.  Price and availability can be big for many.  Cherry MX boards are more available in retail locations like Best Buy at times.  A lot of people are going to be able to buy an MX based board without even knowing that Topre exists.  They're also often found at less than half the price of a RealForce board.

Personally, I haven't had a need for a Topre board.  I bought a Ducky with MX reds and have been using it ever since.  By the time I wanted to try out other keyboards, I was after specific layouts or switches that put Topre out of the picture. 

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3322 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 13:53:48 »
topre sucks

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3323 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 14:01:41 »
topre sucks

I've yet to actually use one so I can't really comment.  Maybe if they made a 75% with media key support or a VE.A type layout or such, I'd buy one.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #3324 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 14:08:44 »

I can easily see it.  Price and availability can be big for many.  Cherry MX boards are more available in retail locations like Best Buy at times.  A lot of people are going to be able to buy an MX based board without even knowing that Topre exists.  They're also often found at less than half the price of a RealForce board.

Personally, I haven't had a need for a Topre board.  I bought a Ducky with MX reds and have been using it ever since.  By the time I wanted to try out other keyboards, I was after specific layouts or switches that put Topre out of the picture.

Good Cherrys are Red
Bad Cherrys are Blue
Linear is sweet
What up to Cherry MX Red Crew

Offline dante

« Reply #3325 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 16:04:21 »

I've tried Topre but the key travel distance is too long for me.  I would definitely be interested in an ANSI board using Topre short throw switches but am uncertain if those are even in production anymore.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3326 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 16:09:23 »

Good Cherrys are Red
Bad Cherrys are Blue
Linear is sweet

Linear4lyfe

Looking forward to the XMIT hall effect board arriving next month.  That will be interesting to try.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3327 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 16:10:20 »

Good Cherrys are Red
Bad Cherrys are Blue
Linear is sweet
agreed that mx blue sucks

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #3328 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 19:13:40 »

Good Cherrys are Red
Bad Cherrys are Blue
Linear is sweet
agreed that mx blue sucks

I guess the problem with me was that I had tried a lot of MX switches and I found none of them pleasing. I used a crappy blackwidow with genuine MX Blues for like 4 years and with a mix of things happening in my life tied with discovering this community I quickly realized how much I hate the sound of Blues. I can't stand anything that is loud or makes that cheap "click" or plastic-y "clack" sound. I got a MF68 with Gateron Reds that I used for about 5 months. I got a 17 piece keyboard switch, I tried some donor borrow boards. The only thing that was anything close to something I liked were the 67g Zealio that I had on my tester switch. After realizing no MX switch worked for me, I went balls deep into an HHKB with Hyperspheres specifically for the sound that it makes. I was always listening to Topre sound tests on youtube but for some reason never thought about buying one. Got my HHKB with hyperspheres. Lubed the entire thing, made custom foam cutouts for the back plate to remove the case flex (feels denser, less hollow). Its basically my dream keyboard and don't see myself going back to MX ever again. I have a ton of artisan blanks on the way and I want to 55g swap it.

Offline fatbuffalo

• SQFT
« Reply #3329 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 19:20:46 »
Good cherry is black.
Vintage black.
End of story.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #3330 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 23:41:28 »
Good cherry is black.
Vintage black.
End of story.
Easiest way to fix MX switches: heavier Springs.

Reds are ****. Blacks are godly.

Blues are ****. Greens are pretty decent.

The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #3331 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 07:46:30 »
topre sucks

It's personal taste.
But one thing can't be denied is that it is the only non-contact (by its capacitive design) switch in the current market, if we don't count the remake of Hall effect switch.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3332 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 09:12:26 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:22:35 by alienman82 »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #3333 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 10:17:58 »
topre sucks

It's personal taste.
But one thing can't be denied is that it is the only non-contact (by its capacitive design) switch in the current market, if we don't count the remake of Hall effect switch.
hall effect is overrated, I have some, too damn tall, and layouts all suck.

also, it really isn't that smooth

Okay, legend debunked.
I think of those Heath Zenith boards, and Space-Cadet Lisp machine keyboards - still very rare though. The smoothness should depend a lot of the qualities and engineering of the moving parts, which should have not much to do with the magnet and the magnetic sensor itself.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3334 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 12:43:53 »
Good cherry is black.
Vintage black.
End of story.
Easiest way to fix MX switches: heavier Springs.

Reds are ****. Blacks are godly.

Blues are ****. Greens are pretty decent.

Easiest way to fix MX switches: lighter springs.

Reds are godly.  Blacks are tiring.

Don't care about blues.  No interest in greens.  About the only tactile switches I want to try are beam springs and capacitive buckling springs.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3335 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 16:20:41 »
MX reds are great, but too noisy in most boards. MX pinks are much quieter, but probably disturbingly so for any user whose comfort zone depends on all the clatter.

MX blacks are too hard on my wee little fingers. Never tried vintage blacks.

Topre switches feel great, but they need to be silenced and they need to have MX mounts for them to be usable to me.

I really want to try XMIT's new Hall Effect switches. If they are as quiet as MX pinks, but even smoother (i.e., they evidence less slider friction), they may supplant MX pinks as the best MX-compatible linear switch available.

All other switches are pretty much irrelevant to me. Clicky switches are for the birds, unless I'm trying to serve homage to typewriters of old, but I've not found an MX-compatible clicky switch where the noise comes exclusively from the click leaf.

Offline dante

« Reply #3336 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 21:07:24 »
MX blacks are too hard on my wee little fingers. Never tried vintage blacks.

I don't mind MX Blacks but definitely need MX Reds on the stabilized keys.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3337 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 21:32:04 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:22:10 by alienman82 »

Offline dante

« Reply #3338 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 22:28:22 »
All this happened before, and will happen again, again, again...

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #3339 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 16:58:38 »

Probably not an unpopular explanation (sorry for being off topic in this thread), but two main reasons contribute to lack of Topre adaption:

1. Price - *Decent* topre boards start at $150 usd, and HHKB and RF > $200 usd
2. Non MX stems - Less options for keysets
3. Fixed cable (RF) - Stupid decision IMO

IMO, HHKB Pro2 Topre is the top typing kb in terms of feel in a stock config hands down.
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline dante

« Reply #3340 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 21:26:11 »
IMO, HHKB Pro2 Topre is the top typing kb in terms of feel in a stock config hands down.

HHKB feels like the Dell of the Topre family.

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #3341 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 22:37:14 »
Here's one for you guys.

I will never own a keyboard that doesn't have arrow keys on it, because I play Crypt of the Necrodancer and Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth. HHKB and 60% are neat and all, but they will never serve my needs like they need to.

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3342 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 02:49:55 »
Here's one for you guys.

I will never own a keyboard that doesn't have arrow keys on it, because I play Crypt of the Necrodancer and Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth. HHKB and 60% are neat and all, but they will never serve my needs like they need to.

Not unpopular. I've seen people put dedicated arrow keys on Plancks, so that's not an excuse not to go small :P Also, what about having a dedicated layer just for games? That would make it possible even on a 30%.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3343 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 04:02:34 »
Here's one for you guys.

Not unpopular. I've seen people put dedicated arrow keys on Plancks, so that's not an excuse not to go small :P Also, what about having a dedicated layer just for games? That would make it possible even on a 30%.

I get it. I use arrow keys for little things like moving a cursor around while typing into them forum text boxes. Or other text boxes. I haven't graduated from Nano just yet. HHKBs look soo cushiony though. So bouncy.  :)

Offline E3E

« Reply #3344 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 04:07:06 »
While I feel like I have an intuitive layer for Arrow keys on  my 60% boards, I also prefer a dedicated cluster, which is what turned me onto TKLs. 75% and 65% are nice too, but I would prefer 75% over 65%.

Though, here's a possibly unpopular opinion: 75% boards have a "slab of keys" look that can be a bit unattractive. They're like an acquired taste, even though they were the first layout I jumped on.

I'm not  feeling it so much these days. I like the separation of a TKL. I probably would get an Alps 75% if ever one was made.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3345 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 16:39:54 »

HHKB feels like the Dell of the Topre family.

But why?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3346 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 16:42:05 »
Probably shared by more fellow GH'ers, but I need to say this: THE NEW TOUCHBAR MACBOOK "PRO" HAS A HORRIBLE HORRIBLE KEYBOARD.

I tried it out yesterday. WTF Apple. Has anyone tried that keyboard? Man... it is so bad it made me appreciate rubberdomes!

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #3347 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 16:59:17 »
Though, here's a possibly unpopular opinion: 75% boards have a "slab of keys" look that can be a bit unattractive. They're like an acquired taste, even though they were the first layout I jumped on.

I hear ya. 75% just look kinda weird, but I couldn't exactly tell you why. Maybe it's because of their aspect ratio? I think boards like the ZZ96 look stunning, but they're basically 75%s with a numpad stuck directly to the side, but that also makes them quite wide and thus maybe more pleasing to the eye.

Offline dante

« Reply #3348 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:37:11 »
Probably shared by more fellow GH'ers, but I need to say this: THE NEW TOUCHBAR MACBOOK "PRO" HAS A HORRIBLE HORRIBLE KEYBOARD.

I tried it out yesterday. WTF Apple. Has anyone tried that keyboard? Man... it is so bad it made me appreciate rubberdomes!

Wow.  I need to visit an Apple store and try this. :D

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3349 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:39:05 »

Wow.  I need to visit an Apple store and try this. :D

Please do and report back, I'm curious what you think. My GF and I, we're both academics (I'm also a programmer). And immediately we were like "wtf I'm NOT going to type a whole paper on this. W-T-F. Ok, Lenovo T260 then." (she has a HHKB as main driver).

The unibody Macbook Pro and the macbook pro before that had perfect keyboards if you ask me. It's been downhill ever since. The retina MacBook Pro's already had somewhat compromised keyboards, and than the even more shallow feel of the MacBook Air.