Author Topic: Does a small(er) form factor mechanical keyboard with numpad exist?  (Read 2607 times)

Offline ac2ev

I've got a full size Model M* at work and got to thinking that my laptop (Dell M4600) has a number pad, surely with all the new mechanical keyboard variations out there should be one with a number pad. I use the number pad daily so it's important. the size and layout of my laptop is good except for the crappy rubber domes.

Is there one?

*I love my Model M that's why I have 5 of them but I'd like something smaller to travel with.

Offline hking0036

Re: Does a small(er) form factor mechanical keyboard with numpad exist?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 17:11:52 »
You can try an 1800 layout (for example something like the FC980M/C) that's more condensed, or something like the Coolermaster TK where they merge the arrows with it but other than that I'm not too sure of condensed layouts. most TKLs have an embedded num layer you can use as far as I know, as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 January 2017, 17:16:56 by hking0036 »
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline ac2ev

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 17:30:25 »
I'll take a look at those. I've trained myself to use a number pad and could never get the hang of the embedded numpad because if the offset. I'm also a touch typist so I need things to be where I expect them.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 17:53:34 »
I'll take a look at those. I've trained myself to use a number pad and could never get the hang of the embedded numpad because if the offset. I'm also a touch typist so I need things to be where I expect them.
Bezel-wise anything new will beat the model M in terms of size, but generally speaking a full size keyboard is a full size keyboard. If you want a full numpad those two offer compromises for size but beyond that it's just what you can get out of a 104-key.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 17:59:49 »
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline moh18one

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 18:55:19 »
You can buy a 65% or TKL + an extra numpad ;)

Offline ac2ev

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 19:48:32 »
Bezel-wise anything new will beat the model M in terms of size, but generally speaking a full size keyboard is a full size keyboard. If you want a full numpad those two offer compromises for size but beyond that it's just what you can get out of a 104-key.

I didn't think of it that way, thanks for the perspective. I didn't think they would be smaller, but maybe they may be small enough for work and travel.

The model M is a beast, especially when bolt modded, I think it may be considered a weapon in some circumstances. :)

I'll look at full size models also, knowing that should be a bit smaller.

I thought about going to a 60% and numpad but in the end I think it would be cumbersome. I'm constantly switching between keyboard, numpad and mouse.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 05:39:13 »
get an Model F..
if an M is an weapon, an F is an even heavier weapon
Winter is coming.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 05:51:41 »
Check out the Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M. It is the successor to the Cooler Master Quickfire TK.

On these the arrow-cursor keys and nav cluster, and the numeric keypad are on the same set of keys: you switch between them by pressing NumLock. These CM keyboards are not the only mechanical keyboards with this setup but CM's are quite common in stores.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 06:49:15 »

I didn't think of it that way, thanks for the perspective. I didn't think they would be smaller, but maybe they may be small enough for work and travel.

The model M is a beast, especially when bolt modded, I think it may be considered a weapon in some circumstances. :)

I'll look at full size models also, knowing that should be a bit smaller.

I thought about going to a 60% and numpad but in the end I think it would be cumbersome. I'm constantly switching between keyboard, numpad and mouse.
Yeah, in that sense you can't lose. Here's a quick and nasty picture comparing my full size with blues to my Model M. After going to a smaller size I don't think I can ever get another keyboard with a dedicated numpad, it's just a waste of space for me. A standalone numpad would be more flexible, and I hadn't even thought of that, so it may well be worth considering because it's also a lot more portable than carrying around a full blown 104, you could probably fit a 60 and a numpad into one of those TKL sleeves without any issues.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 January 2017, 06:50:53 by hking0036 »

Offline ac2ev

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 09:37:55 »
Other than buying a switch test "thingy" is there anyone that rents keyboards? I.E. order 3-4 different models/brands and try them out and ship them back?.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 10:33:38 »
Other than buying a switch test "thingy" is there anyone that rents keyboards? I.E. order 3-4 different models/brands and try them out and ship them back?.
Some would say Amazon if you don't mind being deceptive.

You might find some in a local store that are on display as testers, maybe best buy?

Otherwise no I don't think there are any keyboards for rent anywhere too much risk involved.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 10:53:22 »
G84-4100? It's a Cherry ML board so keycap swapping would be limited but I've read that the 4100 is decent

(Photo is from reaper)

http://cherryamericas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/G84-4100-9-16-16.pdf

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 13:52:43 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:22:25 by alienman82 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 14:18:05 »
If you can find one the RS96 makes for a great smallish board with a number pad.

Offline ac2ev

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 17:28:43 »
The RS96 looks perfect. It appears only a small number of the were made? Or is this only available in certain countries? I'd like details on how I might acquire one or where they are sold.

I'm guessing these come from China? Anybody know where? I'll be in China in September and if I knew where to buy one I could go get one.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 January 2017, 17:49:43 by ac2ev »

Offline hking0036

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 18:59:47 »
The RS96 looks perfect. It appears only a small number of the were made? Or is this only available in certain countries? I'd like details on how I might acquire one or where they are sold.

I'm guessing these come from China? Anybody know where? I'll be in China in September and if I knew where to buy one I could go get one.
It was run in a group buy for a limited period of time so you'll either have to get one secondhand or just wait and hope they run it again. You might want to look around China, but you're probably more likely to get a board with clones.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 15:05:01 »
G84-4100? It's a Cherry ML board so keycap swapping would be limited but I've read that the 4100 is decent

(Photo is from reaper)
Show Image

http://cherryamericas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/G84-4100-9-16-16.pdf

Theres one of these in grey on ebay right now.
-Dana