Author Topic: JD45 Keyboard by Carpe Keyboards  (Read 158816 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: JD45 Keyboard by Carpe Keyboards
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:31:46 »
These boards need some Hack'd by Geeks caps!

Luckily, the designer and the GB leader got together and decided it would be a good idea to include the keycaps for it in the GB!!

:))

Only problem I've got is I'm seriously considering ordering a 2nd set of those caps for when I get a jd45 someday.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:34:03 »

Luckily, the designer and the GB leader got together and decided it would be a good idea to include the keycaps for it in the GB!!

Only problem I've got is I'm seriously considering ordering a 2nd set of those caps for when I get a jd45 someday.

That's a problem how? ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:36:20 »

That's a problem how? ;)

:p

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:37:48 »
^^

WalletHack'd
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:55:03 »
^^

WalletHack'd

Correction: WalletHaxxored!
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:23:40 »
Ron, how are you liking those uniform sphericals on the JD45?

Not liking them as-is.  They look cool, however!

I have a big bag of MX Blacks I use for prototyping, and those, plus the big keycaps, and the total lack of plate or case make this a very flexy set-up.

The whole thing look really neat, with no PCB underhanging the keycaps.  The actual keytops are nice, so I'll give the spericals a nod just for that.  But not with MX Blacks, and not without some additional structure.

I may drop some Retro DSA 'caps on it next.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:37:16 »
How would one go about getting a case for pcb mounted boards?
It seems like it's intended for a sandwich design that requires a plate.

EDIT: Does the layout in the OP require any stabilizers? The reason why I wanted PCB mount in the first place was because I wanted a board I could test out typing on.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:43:07 by FrostyToast »
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:51:17 »

EDIT: Does the layout in the OP require any stabilizers? The reason why I wanted PCB mount in the first place was because I wanted a board I could test out typing on.

You can still plate mount the switches, even when they can mount to the PCB without a plate. So JD40-style plate cases are a viable option with these. There are also mounting holes in the corners, which could be used to mount the PCB into a tray style case.

The layout in the OP absolutely DOES NOT require any stabilizers. That was one of the design goals! :D

in memoriam

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:55:05 »

You can still plate mount the switches, even when they can mount to the PCB without a plate. So JD40-style plate cases are a viable option with these. There are also mounting holes in the corners, which could be used to mount the PCB into a tray style case.

The layout in the OP absolutely DOES NOT require any stabilizers. That was one of the design goals! :D

Sweet. This will probably be the board that I use to test out switches meaning that you will likely get two orders from me! ;D

Offline neverused

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:15:36 »
I keep staring at this thread willing it to post updates. 

I want one now! 

No worries, take your time and get it right.  Very excited for this!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:19:09 »
I keep staring at this thread willing it to post updates. 

I want one now! 

Show Image

No worries, take your time and get it right.  Very excited for this!

j/k

in memoriam

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:21:23 »
Update: I need to go buy bigger mailers.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline neverused

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:39:40 »
I'll buy bigger mailers.

Support the cause!

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #163 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 08:48:11 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

I will pay extra to have mine shipped in a box.
I would not trust a bubble mailer for shipping a PCB ever.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 08:52:39 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

I shipped Enablers with bubble mailers.  Even international.  Hell I shipped a Teensy break out board to Australia in just an envelope.  That one had a sticker on it that it couldn't be machine sorted though.  That one arrived with no issues as well.  All in all I think PCB's (with no smd components installed) are a little more durable that what a lot of people realize.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #165 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 08:55:24 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

I shipped Enablers with bubble mailers.  Even international.  Hell I shipped a Teensy break out board to Australia in just an envelope.  That one had a sticker on it that it couldn't be machine sorted though.  That one arrived with no issues as well.  All in all I think PCB's (with no smd components installed) are a little more durable that what a lot of people realize.

Perhaps.
Although you have to keep in mind that enablers and teensies would be a lot smaller. Although if you shipped a whole unbroken sheet of enablers safely, maybe I could trust you on that.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #166 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 08:56:49 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

Perhaps.
Although you have to keep in mind that enablers and teensies would be a lot smaller. Although if you shipped a whole unbroken sheet of enablers safely, maybe I could trust you on that.

I've sent JD40 PCBs to people in bubble mailers before, with no breakages. Then I've sent steel switch plates the same way which arrived bent to hell. I guess it just depends on the carrier, and how they are feeling that day.

in memoriam

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #167 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 09:01:49 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

Perhaps.

I've sent JD40 PCBs to people in bubble mailers before, with no breakages. Then I've sent steel switch plates the same way which arrived bent to hell. I guess it just depends on the carrier, and how they are feeling that day.

Yeah... I'll probably ask for a box since I am international as well.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 11:34:19 »
I'll run postage pricing and let everyone know.  I am happy to ship First Class in a tough mailer for free.  If you want special handling, send me a PM, and I'll calculate the cost to ship it any way you like.  You pay shipping, and it will be shipped however you want it to be shipped!

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.

Offline neverused

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 17:43:31 »
If one falls through, I'd love to pay for a prototype. I'd have it built in a day or day two and running at work the next day.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 12:50:59 »
Just got a tracking notice for something. All things considered I think it's this board (?)

Glad I have a teensy for it. Guess I'll have to acquire another for the upcoming SD60, too. At least I have switches ready & waiting!

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #171 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:17:37 »
Just got a tracking notice for something. All things considered I think it's this board (?)

Glad I have a teensy for it. Guess I'll have to acquire another for the upcoming SD60, too. At least I have switches ready & waiting!

Yup.  jdcarpe, CPTBadAss, AKMalamute, Thechemist, and pharaoh all went out USPS Priority Mail today.  That is all of the CONUS addresses I believe I have.

Because of the concerns about shipping in an envelope, I went looking for harder packaging.  Oddly enough, they don't seem to sell shipping boxes for 3" x 10" x 1/16" items.   :eek:

So I packed them in corrugated cardboard, which seems plenty tough.  However, I will wait for these to arrive safely before I ship inter-continentally.  Recipients, please advise!

Also, I included the following errata:

#1 The transistor legend on the back side of the PCB is incorrect (upside-down).  The transistor should be mounted with the flat edge facing down!  (I put a label on every PCB showing the correct orientation.)

#2  WARNING: There are a pair of auxiliary (AUX) ports for V+ and Ground next to the Teensy pads.  Don't use the AUX pads by mistake, or the Teensy will be mis-located by one pin.

88269-0
Don't make these assembly errors.  Trust me on this!

I think that is all for now.  I am off to get a base cut for a Swill "case" for my JD45.  Photos when it is done.

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  The JD45 for iamtootallforthis made it to the post today as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:58:50 by samwisekoi »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 22:21:21 »
Yup.  jdcarpe, CPTBadAss, AKMalamute, Thechemist, and pharaoh all went out USPS Priority Mail today.  That is all of the CONUS addresses I believe I have.

Oh man am I excited!!!! Thank you samwisekoi and jdcarpe for all your wonderful work. Now to make sure I don't mess this PCB up like I did with my JD40.

Offline neverused

« Reply #173 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 23:23:09 »
Eagerly awaiting for the beta testers to do their work so I can get my hands on one too.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #174 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 23:26:11 »

Oh man am I excited!!!! Thank you samwisekoi and jdcarpe for all your wonderful work. Now to make sure I don't mess this PCB up like I did with my JD40.

Yours is coming to me first, though. I was going to solder the diodes, Teensy, and resistors/transistor for you, leaving only switches and LEDs. But I can send it to you bare, if you want... :)

in memoriam

Offline joey

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 08:36:30 »
What are the transistors for?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 08:39:41 »
What are the transistors for?

It's for the backlight.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 08:58:21 »

Yours is coming to me first, though. I was going to solder the diodes, Teensy, and resistors/transistor for you, leaving only switches and LEDs. But I can send it to you bare, if you want... :)

This time around? I'll wait for your assembly work. Always wanted a board you worked on tbh.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #178 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 09:45:05 »
So, did I mention I tried a 1.3 x .7 IC socket for the Teensy?  Works a treat, and allows removal of the Teensy to solder the switch that is hidden under there.  Somewhere up "above"  in this thread is a parts list that includes a buying link from Mouser.  The IC socket is much lower-profile than the giant stand-offs PHRC sells as a "socket", but the IC socket has holes sized for wire leads, not big flat pins.

So to use it, you need to buy the Teensy without pins from PJRC, solder in some resistor leads AS pins, and trim them to length.  I did this by seating the leads into the socket firmly and then sliding the Teensy down onto them.  Solder, remove, trim, and use.  Also, I removed the center crossbar from the socket so I could get to the switch leads later.

Anyhow, I mention this because if someone wants to solder the Teensy before the switches, they will discover the |\ switch (which I used for Enter) cannot be soldered after the Teensy is installed.

So either solder that one switch (and an LED if desired) before you solder on the Teensy -- or use a socket.  Or discover that it is practically impossible to de-solder and remove a Teensy!

Potato pics attached.

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Please excuse the wonky passives.  I was experimenting with a new process for mass soldering.  It worked, but was not attractive.  Electrically they are fine.

« Last Edit: Sat, 24 January 2015, 09:50:29 by samwisekoi »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 09:49:59 »
That's a really cool idea ron. For those who want to know which part Ron is referring to, I found the post with the parts list: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62641.msg1544331.msg#1544331. Wish I saw this sooner so I could try it out.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 January 2015, 09:53:26 by CPTBadAss »

Offline pharaoh

« Reply #180 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 14:37:26 »
 :eek: IT HAS ARRIVED! :eek:

*breathing intensifies*
hhkb type-s| jd40 | jd45 | keycool87

Offline neverused

« Reply #181 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 15:00:23 »
Very jealous

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 17:33:03 »
:eek: IT HAS ARRIVED! :eek:

Show Image

*breathing intensifies*

Mine too. Eager to start building it. (opened the slim packaging. Created and effective; no damage during the trip.

So, since I have absolutely no LEDs to speak of, would I better served by waiting for the SD60 and just build this one as-is, or can I expect to put LEDs in later and just reflash the Teensy? Is the only viable place to put LEDs, the middle of the switch?

And someone remind me, are these getting dedicated LEDs as if for caps-lock? Or all LEDs are on the one circuit?

It would actually be kinda cool to have the lights respond to keystrokes ... even if it's all of them at once, which is what I'd assume would happen, I could have my own strobe light depending on how fast I typed...

Saturday Evening Edit:

That would be my current running theory of how it'll be programmed. Of course (re)programability was one of the main reasons I turned to GH, and mechanical keyboards in the first place.

That and hardware dvorak, which is, lets face it, almost the same topic as reflashing your keybard.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 January 2015, 19:28:23 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 23:43:11 »
How eagerly do we need replies about the prototype? I'm actually thinking this could be a cool first backlit board but I seem to only have two LEDs after building my phantom. I didn't buy any parts before now because I'm normally a "who needs backlight" kinda guy but this is small enough it would be kinda cool to do.

I've got diodes attached, and two switches (with my last two LEDs) and will get the Teensy attached sometimes this weekend. That will at least let me flash the controller and test everything with aquakeys.

Late night edit: LEDs and parts ordered. Should be here in a week or whatever.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 01:00:27 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #184 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 11:05:57 »
Good to see the boards made it.  Recipients: what do you think about that packaging for international shipping?

The LEDs are all on a single circuit, controlled by PWM pin D7.  As far as I can tell, the current JD45-compatible version (20150113) of Easy_Keymap doesn't have backlighting control enabled at all, so if you add LEDs, they all will be on at a medium light level.  There is no way to have the LEDs chase keystrokes, at least not by design.

I did not put a CAPS LED circuit in because I don't know where you are going to put your Caps Lock key.  So if you want a CAPS LED, then some clever wiring and firmware will be required.  Assigning the CAPS function to D7 would turn any LEDs on, and then you could populate whatever LED position you want to be your Caps Lock LED.  If you are going to use an unassigned pin for the CAPS LED circuit, then FYI, I am planning to use F7 for CAPS on the SD-60, which will be pin-compatible with the JD45.

Again, recipients, please let me know what you think about the packaging.  Specifically if you think it would be suitable for international shipments.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 11:09:03 by samwisekoi »

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #185 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 11:28:05 »
Good to see the boards made it.  Recipients: what do you think about that packaging for international shipping?

The LEDs are all on a single circuit, controlled by PWM pin D7.  As far as I can tell, the current JD45-compatible version (20150113) of Easy_Keymap doesn't have backlighting control enabled at all, so if you add LEDs, they all will be on at a medium light level.  There is no way to have the LEDs chase keystrokes, at least not by design.

I did not put a CAPS LED circuit in because I don't know where you are going to put your Caps Lock key.  So if you want a CAPS LED, then some clever wiring and firmware will be required.  Assigning the CAPS function to D7 would turn any LEDs on, and then you could populate whatever LED position you want to be your Caps Lock LED.  If you are going to use an unassigned pin for the CAPS LED circuit, then FYI, I am planning to use F7 for CAPS on the SD-60, which will be pin-compatible with the JD45.

Again, recipients, please let me know what you think about the packaging.  Specifically if you think it would be suitable for international shipments.

- Ron | samwisekoi

I think the packaging would work for international recipients, but one thing I think should be done would be to secure the board to one side of the cardboard to prevent sliding as mine slid somewhat and ended up poking through the tape on one side.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #186 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 11:59:50 »
I think the packaging would work for international recipients, but one thing I think should be done would be to secure the board to one side of the cardboard to prevent sliding as mine slid somewhat and ended up poking through the tape on one side.

Yes, that is simple to do.  I am also going to go with fiber-reinforced tape around the edges.  Good old brown reinforced box tape, if they still make it.

Thanks!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #187 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 13:43:15 »
Recipients: what do you think about that packaging for international shipping?

It will work but I would add another layer of cushion. Either box up the box, or lay some thin foam inside the box. And yes keep it from sliding which would probably be done best by foam on the inside.

I've seen plenty of boxes arrive at work, crushed; but those were computers or monitors which necessitated a box -- this was almost an envelope, which will encourage different handling techniques of the workers conveying it. So it's probably fine, I would just, for myself, wish for a bit more of a crush zone.

Were you to wrap it in bubble wrap, however, it would lose that envelope shape, increasing it's exposure to mishandling. So, go thin and everything should get there.

And, thanks for your input on caps-lock lights. Writing firmware for such things is not in my immediate future but that's fine. This will just be a backlit board, then.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline neverused

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 14:53:41 »
Out of curiosity, what is the projected timeline for this keyboard? I'm eager to purchase one or help out in another round of prototyping (I'm a maker at heart so I'd like to be able to help if I can).

Has there been discussion with bunny regarding a group buy or availability through ctrl alt?

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:00:37 »
JD, just asking since you kindly directed me here.

Do you think you can build this much lower? That should be a help to people who don't use wrist rests, and it will take up less space.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #190 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:03:05 »

Do you think you can build this much lower? That should be a help to people who don't use wrist rests, and it will take up less space.

That's only possible with an SMT version which is in the works. The reason they are so tall is to make room for the teensy.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline neverused

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:09:55 »
If you are desperate, you could connect the teensy with wire leads and move it to the back of the pcb to slow the front to angle down.

Any progress updates?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #192 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:10:54 »
Out of curiosity, what is the projected timeline for this keyboard? I'm eager to purchase one or help out in another round of prototyping (I'm a maker at heart so I'd like to be able to help if I can).

Has there been discussion with bunny regarding a group buy or availability through ctrl alt?

Once I have everything worked out as far as plates, some kind of case, etc., there will definitely be a group buy through [CTRL]ALT. They have the logistics team in place now to ensure that delays, such as have happened with the GH60 group buy, don't happen this time.

Unlike the JD40, the JD45 has the Teensy mounted under the 1.75-unit key on the right side, second row from the top. So the front edge should be able to be much lower in profile than was possible with the JD40. You also get one more column, which should make for a better typing experience.

Also, as Joey Quinn mentioned, there is also a separate version which maintains most of the design elements, which uses SMT electronics, instead of a Teensy and through hole components. That would allow the PCB to be mounted as low as any other keyboard PCB.

@Ron, packaging was great, and the PCBs arrived here safely.

I want to give a huge thank you to Ron of Samwisekoi Designs for making the through hole PCB for the JD45 project, and for doing ALL the logistics in getting the prototypes made and delivered.

Also, huge thanks to Joey Quinn, who made the SMT version PCB!!
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:19:11 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 08:34:13 »
JD, thanks very much and you and everyone else are very welcome!

Regarding height, I am using a "Swill case" for mine, which is fundamentally a 1/4" (5mm) piece of foam and a piece of wood, plastic, or metal that is as thick as the end of a USB cable.  (I will find and post the thread here.)  That makes the PCB float 3/8" (8mm) above the desk, and if you wanted to make a wedge shape, it could be lower than that at the leading edge.

The result is approximately 1/2" lower than the JD40/Smallfry keyboard.  On mine, the switches are much taller than the case itself.

[takes some measurements...]

The height from my desk to the top of the front edge of the PCB is 10mm exactly.  The height from the top of the PCB to the highest point on a DSA keycap is 18mm.  The result is the same height at the front edge (28mm) as my Leopold TKL with Imsto low-profile keycaps.  Swill recommends thinner foam, so if you wanted, you could shave 1/8" (2-3mm) off of the height at the front edge.

So I think it is pretty low as-is.

Regarding component height, jdcarpe is correct that placing the Teensy at the back allows a lower front edge, and that the Teensy is taller than an SMD controller.  But even without the Teensy, I don't think the overall height would be much lower than it is.

I'll try and get some comparison photos taken and uploaded.  JD40, JD45, Poker, and traditional TKL.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 16:54:22 »
I was really wanting to get my hands on a jd40 with ergo clears, but Now that this popped up I would much rather aquire one of these beauties. I would like to order a fully assembled one once you guys finish ironing  out your plan.  I hope you offer it in clears or clears with different springs.

-> you should make one with a bluetooth option since its already such a portable keyboard.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 00:45:01 »
There is some sexy **** going on in here. I think if I was to get one of these production beauties, it would be the SMD version just to try and build that myself.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 09:49:45 »
I got out my PokerX that I haven't used in quite a while, and man oh man is it low.  I have my JD45 flat and populated with SA keycaps, but still it is taller than the BACK of the Poker.  (Measured at the edge of the keycaps.)

The front keycap edges of the Poker X are also lower than the front keycap edges on my Leopold TKL.

So, yeah, I am going to agree that for everyday use, the JD needs a lowered front edge, something like a doorstop.  I don't do wood, but I think what it needs is a Swill case, with 1/8" (3mm) foam, and a wooden base made from a 1x3 that is ripped diagonally.  That would make a base with a 1/8" height in front and 7/8" in the rear.  (3mm to 22mm, front to back.)

Pics attached below.  A banana is too big, so keycap-puller for scale.

a. Poker X vs. Poker II
b. Poker X vs. JD45
c. Poker X vs JD40
d. JD40 vs JD45 (with Nuclear Data Green SA Row 3 keycaps)

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 January 2015, 14:10:32 by samwisekoi »

Offline potatowire

« Reply #197 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 21:31:10 »
If anyone else was unfamiliar with the Swill Case, his site is here:

http://swillkb.com/

and the GH thread is here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51872.msg1144912#msg1144912
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 January 2015, 21:33:48 by potatowire »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #198 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 09:42:51 »
If anyone else was unfamiliar with the Swill Case, his site is here:

http://swillkb.com/

and the GH thread is here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51872.msg1144912#msg1144912

Thank you for finding and posting that info.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 10:19:49 »
Ron, where did you get those caps you're using on your JD40? Those are awesome!

in memoriam