Author Topic: [GB] H1 Switches - iLumKB Sale Aug. 30th 10 AM SGT!  (Read 72540 times)

Offline abrokencondom

Re: [GB] H1 Switches In-Stock Sale - Going LIVE Tomorrow!
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 21:02:51 »
I think Alpaca, H1, Marshmallow, and Mauve switches are pretty much the same except for minor difference in price and sound. More important is availability. None on the list are available stock so the mentioned differences are irrelevant.

Get them when you can because you can sell them at profit if you don't like them.
Just try not to hog the switches. That's not cool.

Speaking of in-stock switches, someone on Discord contacted Durock on Alibaba and asked them this:

Show Image

These are available on AliExpress in different variants (L4, L6, L7) for $0.55 each, all in stock ready to ship. Also:

Show Image

Make of it what you will.

I have messaged them about the difference between Alpacas and the L series that in stock, and got the same message that it's pretty much the spring force difference 62g vs 67g. I didn't realise Tangies were also the same. Good to know too!

On an aside, I feel we need a better naming system to basically classify switch that are just recolours of the same type... (i.e. Tangerine [DL-67] (Durock Linear 67g)], and Alpacas are [DL-62]). It's getting a bit confusing with all the new catchy naming and alternative colourways.
Silent Alpacas and Ghost switches are essentially Durock silent linear.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 21:23:44 »
On an aside, I feel we need a better naming system to basically classify switch that are just recolours of the same type... (i.e. Tangerine [DL-67] (Durock Linear 67g)], and Alpacas are [DL-62]). It's getting a bit confusing with all the new catchy naming and alternative colourways.

I don't think classifying by weight would be particularly useful, since springs are usually one of the first things that get changed for custom order switches / recolors. Doing it by top/bottom/stem materials1 and molds used2 would be more accurate, but good luck creating a sensible shorthand for all of that.

1 Most JWK linears, including the stock Durock L* ones, Alpacas, H1s and the upcoming HC SD, use PC tops, Nylon bottoms and POM stems.
2 If there even are any different molds at all (other than possibly Obsidians).

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 21:35:10 »
its a keyboard switch

one of hundreds

if you want to try it, try it

Offline gridds

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 21:41:09 »
lol

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
Re: [GB] H1 Switches In-Stock Sale - Sales (mostly) completed
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 22:04:30 »
I think Alpaca, H1, Marshmallow, and Mauve switches are pretty much the same except for minor difference in price and sound. More important is availability. None on the list are available stock so the mentioned differences are irrelevant.

Get them when you can because you can sell them at profit if you don't like them.
Just try not to hog the switches. That's not cool.

Speaking of in-stock switches, someone on Discord contacted Durock on Alibaba and asked them this:

Show Image

These are available on AliExpress in different variants (L4, L6, L7) for $0.55 each, all in stock ready to ship. Also:

Show Image

Fwiw, I've been in Durock as well and some of the stuff they say is....well...questionable. We already knew that Alpacas were just durock linears, but Tangerines are, from my knowledge, definitely not the same as Durocks. Take those screenshots with a massive grain of salt.

me know best, don't question me

:confused:

Maybe develop some emotional maturity before running another GB. You're gonna need it for that poorly-designed TKL.

This was marketed as a vintage black replacement and it's not. It's a generic JWK. Shameful.
Again, you're calling it a "generic JWK" without having the switches in hand. Low shots about my other designs are just petty.
Anyhow, why don't we drop this until someone actually gets the switches in hand; I can't keep arguing with people like you.

Maybe develop some mental maturity before getting on a forum for community-oriented users like Geekhack  :thumb:

Offline donkey

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 22:39:58 »
Fwiw, I've been in Durock as well and some of the stuff they say is....well...questionable. We already knew that Alpacas were just durock linears, but Tangerines are, from my knowledge, definitely not the same as Durocks. Take those screenshots with a massive grain of salt.

Same here, at least in regard to Tangerines. Tangerines feel and sound noticeably different from other JWK made switches. The only way I can describe the difference is that it feels cleaner and sounds more solid. I am not saying it's better but different and subject to preference.

I found myself using my Mauve board far more often than my Tangerine board. Cream remains my favorite linear switch but it draws too much attention from me while I work so, when I'm working, I use the more bland Mauve board.

Offline abrokencondom

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 22:55:38 »

I don't think classifying by weight would be particularly useful, since springs are usually one of the first things that get changed for custom order switches / recolors. Doing it by top/bottom/stem materials1 and molds used2 would be more accurate, but good luck creating a sensible shorthand for all of that.

1 Most JWK linears, including the stock Durock L* ones, Alpacas, H1s and the upcoming HC SD, use PC tops, Nylon bottoms and POM stems.
2 If there even are any different molds at all (other than possibly Obsidians).

Good points! Yeah no easy solution for a shorthand system. Although in 15 years time, we're going run out of catchy fruit and animal names for switches if the exponential trend of alternative colourways continues.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2020, 22:58:55 by abrokencondom »

Offline Sycomore

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 23:42:43 »
its a keyboard switch

one of hundreds

At the end of the day this is what it comes down to

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 23:54:33 »

I found myself using my Mauve board far more often than my Tangerine board. Cream remains my favorite linear switch but it draws too much attention from me while I work so, when I'm working, I use the more bland Mauve board.

Lucky you, already having a board full of Mauves! It seems like that would be the perfect weight for Alpaca-style switches. Did you leave them stock or did you lube / spring-swap?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 23:54:47 »
its a keyboard switch

one of hundreds

people want end-all, be-all **** in keyboards these days. sadly that isn't attainable

Offline Sycomore

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 23:59:07 »
its a keyboard switch

one of hundreds

people want end-all, be-all **** in keyboards these days. sadly that isn't attainable

100% agree
but at the end of the day it just comes down to personal choice. I personally like a good linear so me seeing more on the market is a good thing.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 23:59:55 »
its a keyboard switch

one of hundreds

100% agree
but at the end of the day it just comes down to personal choice. I personally like a good linear so me seeing more on the market is a good thing.

yup. worst case it's just another one to try. every switch is hyped at this point and sells out v quickly. may as well yolo it

Offline ackzot

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 00:09:05 »
its a keyboard switch

one of hundreds

100% agree

yup. worst case it's just another one to try. every switch is hyped at this point and sells out v quickly. may as well yolo it

yolo for sure. Glad I picked up 150 switches, enough for 2 builds. JWK linears are good and their variations are constantly sold out.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 00:10:03 »
its a keyboard switch

one of hundreds

100% agree

yolo for sure. Glad I picked up 150 switches, enough for 2 builds. JWK linears are good and their variations are constantly sold out.

ez flip on mechmarket if you dont like them kekw

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 00:11:49 »
I would be shocked if tangerines were just plain durock switches.

They are very audibly different and I don't know how that can be the case if they are just a spring swap.

I mean, it's easy to test: just use the same spring in an Alpaca and a Tangerine and see if they sound the same. They don't.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 01:17:33 »
I would be shocked if tangerines were just plain durock switches.

They are very audibly different and I don't know how that can be the case if they are just a spring swap.

I mean, it's easy to test: just use the same spring in an Alpaca and a Tangerine and see if they sound the same. They don't.

They dap the tangerines with a bit of citrus, it softens the plastics for that easy slide.

Offline donkey

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 01:58:28 »
Lucky you, already having a board full of Mauves! It seems like that would be the perfect weight for Alpaca-style switches. Did you leave them stock or did you lube / spring-swap?

I always give my switches the full treatment: lube (205g0) + film + spring-swap (63.5g).

Then I find the best case + plate + padding combo. For modded Mauve, modded Tofu + POM plate + plate padding was best for me.

Offline dyka.tran

« Reply #117 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 04:50:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

Really noice  :cool:  TYVM.

Offline FinalEleven

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 08:57:24 »
Note on the Durock linears on aliexpress.

They will take forever and then some to arrive. I placed an order for them on the 27th of March and they're still in transit I'm assuming.

If you need linears now, i wouldn't recommend it.

Offline dyka.tran

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 09:12:40 »
Note on the Durock linears on aliexpress.

They will take forever and then some to arrive. I placed an order for them on the 27th of March and they're still in transit I'm assuming.

If you need linears now, i wouldn't recommend it.

From my experience shipping time of aliex is pretty much RNG  ;D

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 10:08:54 »
Impressions of the H1 switches are starting to trickle in. One user on Reddit said:

"once lubed and filmed they are beyond smooth. Better than C3, tealios and fat inks by far."

Offline Sycomore

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 13:11:33 »
Dailyclack is now out, for anyone who comes by this thread.

Offline Pulstura

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 20:35:09 »
Did I miss out on the GB? :(

Offline catamscott

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 20:57:21 »
Did I miss out on the GB? :(
it was an in-stock sale so people either have their switches already or will have them soon, and yes  :-X
luckily though you should be able to find some on mechmarket now or very soon from now since they are already in people's hands

Offline cari66ean

Re: [GB] H1 Switches In-Stock Sale - Complete
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 08:32:55 »
After missing out on the H1s because I decided to get the C3 Tangerines and then missing out on those as well (lol), I was fortunate enough to be able to order some remaining stock of the H1. And now apparently also some Tangerines lol. So I decided to simply get both and see what they're all about anyway.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 09:02:44 »
I was able to snag some from DailyClack after hearing Rensuya and Xerpocalypse talk about these switches, I can't wait to get mine in!

Offline FIJ1

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 09:32:08 »
I was able to snag some from DailyClack after hearing Rensuya and Xerpocalypse talk about these switches, I can't wait to get mine in!

Do you have links to these reviews? I've received my switches but my board, films and other parts are stuck in transit somewhere - I'm anxious to try them out...

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:48:40 »
Another sound comparison video with H1s and a few different switches (lubed/unlubed):

And btw, if you aren't subscribed to :3ildcat, you should, great KB content creator.

Offline cari66ean

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 11:15:52 »
Another sound comparison video with H1s and a few different switches (lubed/unlubed):

And btw, if you aren't subscribed to :3ildcat, you should, great KB content creator.

Interesting... I'm kinda not surprised that I once again prefer the sound of Tealios, which when lubed imho have a very underrated unique and glassy sound. But then again I AM surprised because in Taehe's video while sounding different the H1 were equally good to my ears with a very satisfying low-pitched thock. Here on the other hand it seems to still sound kinda high-pitched even after lubing and filming.

Since in this video a mixed lube was used my assumption is that these switches fare better in terms of sound with the thicker lube (I think Taehe also used Tribosys 3204). We shall see since I only have Tribosys 3204 at home I'll compare them to lubed Tealios and C3 Tangerines once I get the C3s and the H1s.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2020, 11:18:12 by cari66ean »

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 12:13:20 »
mine are out for delivery. i got lube and films ready. have tangerines and alpacas and mx blacks to compare with. depending on how lazy i am maybe ill do a quick little comparison later tonight

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 15:19:01 »
I received my switches from Novelkeys today.  I'm currently using them stock.  No films, no lube anywhere.  Very low spring ping.  Springs are moderately heavy, which I love.  I roughly estimate that 50% of the top housings are a snug fit, and 50% need films.  So, I will probably end up filming them all.  To my ears, they do sound better than stock Durock switches.  Quite smooth as well. If someone were to ask me which linear switch to use "stock" I would put these high up on the list with tealios and inks.  I think they sound better than inks, personally.  Nice switches, sir.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2020, 15:20:44 by pixelpusher »

Offline Pach

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 15:24:15 »
I received my switches from Novelkeys today.  I'm currently using them stock.  No films, no lube anywhere.  Very low spring ping.  Springs are moderately heavy, which I love.  I roughly estimate that 50% of the top housings are a snug fit, and 50% need films.  So, I will probably end up filming them all.  To my ears, they do sound better than stock Durock switches.  Quite smooth as well. If someone were to ask me which linear switch to use "stock" I would put these high up on the list with tealios and inks.  I think they sound better than inks, personally.  Nice switches, sir.
Nice short review. Looks like I won't be regretting my purchase.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 18:11:58 »
Are these expected to be regularly stocked at novelkeys?

Offline Pach

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 18:13:11 »
No, I think it's up to HHHH if he wants to produce more in the future.

Offline Sycomore

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 23:20:27 »

Thanks, now I'm super excited to get these delivered... These days you just can't go wrong with JWK linears, which is nice seeing as you're not forkin out $100 for a set of 100 switches of another maker/seller.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 23:21:55 »
Got my switches in today. Played with a few of them stock, but just started lubing without doing any break in.

Lubed enough to put on an HHKB -- 60 switches. I haven't typed onthem yet, but I noted that some of them have a scratchy sound while finger-pressing (no cap, just the switch between my fingers), and some are pretty clean / smooth / silent sounding. Reminds me of the somewhat inconsistent nature in my batch of Retooled Blacks.

edit: of course, typing is the ultimate determinant :p

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 23:32:44 »
got them but too lazy to do anything tonight. stuck them into my hs planck just to see how they feel compared to blacks.

i wouldnt say theyd replace blacks for me but they are fine switches. spring just feels a little different and obviously sound is different. the h1s sound louder but also thin and hollow, hopefully lube and film will help when i get around to it.

i still believe all jwk switches are basically the same thing but im also not ultra picky and all said and done i like them and have no regrets lol.

Offline Sycomore

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 23:35:49 »
i still believe all jwk switches are basically the same thing but im also not ultra picky and all said and done i like them and have no regrets lol.

I agree on the fact that JWK linears are all essentially they same but I can't hate as having more options available for good linears is a good thing.

Offline dantambok

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 00:20:21 »
wait. can someone actually clarify if H1 and Alpacas use the same mold? just diff colors and spring weights?
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline cari66ean

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 03:25:06 »
wait. can someone actually clarify if H1 and Alpacas use the same mold? just diff colors and spring weights?

According to OP H1 have an altered mold. Alpacas, Tangerines and maybe other JWK linears share the same mold but use different materials.

Offline Sycomore

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 03:48:32 »

According to OP H1 have an altered mold. Alpacas, Tangerines and maybe other JWK linears share the same mold but use different materials.

well most JWK switches excluding the marshmallows from what I can see are the same switch. well the switch housing at least. (uncertain with the tangerines as we don't really have a way to confirm or not if they do have uhmpwe in them).

Offline FinalEleven

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 05:08:19 »

well most JWK switches excluding the marshmallows from what I can see are the same switch. well the switch housing at least. (uncertain with the tangerines as we don't really have a way to confirm or not if they do have uhmpwe in them).

From all the sound tests we've been getting, it seems that at least something is different with the H1s as they sound a bit different than alpacas and tangies.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 05:18:22 »
had mine for just voer a week now. I used them in the E8.5 on the weekend and tbh I'm pretty impressed.

The housing is just like any other JWK switch to be completely honest, but the factory lube job here feels fairly consistent. Where these really shine is the spring. The spring is Exceptional for one thats stock. Of all the switches I've tried and used, which is most of whats on the market, these are one of only two switches that I dont consider necessary for a spring swap. The other being Gat Yellow, although those are a touch light for my chubby fingers).

Out of the box these switches should be usable for most people. whilst the spring is exceptional, I do find a very light coating of 104 does work well for them too. If you dont open these switches there is no need for a film IMO; however, once you do open them its best to add a switch film as the tops seem to be looser just from the opening like many JWK switches.

TL:DR: Spring good. Factory lube even. JWK so smooth. Only need films if you mod them.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 16:39:03 »
had mine for just voer a week now. I used them in the E8.5 on the weekend and tbh I'm pretty impressed.

The housing is just like any other JWK switch to be completely honest, but the factory lube job here feels fairly consistent. Where these really shine is the spring. The spring is Exceptional for one thats stock. Of all the switches I've tried and used, which is most of whats on the market, these are one of only two switches that I dont consider necessary for a spring swap. The other being Gat Yellow, although those are a touch light for my chubby fingers).

Out of the box these switches should be usable for most people. whilst the spring is exceptional, I do find a very light coating of 104 does work well for them too. If you dont open these switches there is no need for a film IMO; however, once you do open them its best to add a switch film as the tops seem to be looser just from the opening like many JWK switches.

TL:DR: Spring good. Factory lube even. JWK so smooth. Only need films if you mod them.
thanks for the review! good to hear that people are enjoying them!

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #144 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 19:35:20 »
No, I think it's up to HHHH if he wants to produce more in the future.

Heard from novelkeys on reddit and there will be a big restock in june.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 13:08:35 »
Got my H1 switches last night and had a chance to play around with them and compare with what I had on hand.

1. They are very smooth although I could not tell much difference between them and my stock Tangerines in terms of smoothness. I would say they are on par. I would say that both are smoother than Gateron Ink Blacks.
2. They sound better than stock Tangerines and they sound even better filmed.
3. The spring isn't as heavy as I would have thought and are quite usable.
4. The factory lube is VERY light. I lubed with 205g0 and the sound improved.
5. The spring is fantastic. No ping or crunch at all.

In summary, it's a fantastic switch. It's not a game changer by any stretch, but it's a great switch compared to the leading linears on the market. They do cost 5 cents more than run of the mill Durocks so, if you plan on doing a spring swap, then I would stick to normal Durocks since you won't benefit from the quality spring.

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 15:50:55 »
I'm not really equipped to provide an in-depth analysis or comparison, but I can definitely say I like these more than Sakurios and lubed Gat Yellows I currently have.

I also noticed there seems to be a lot of Vintage Blacks flooding the market right now. Wonder if it's connected to the H1 release.

Offline catamscott

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 16:42:16 »
I'm not really equipped to provide an in-depth analysis or comparison, but I can definitely say I like these more than Sakurios and lubed Gat Yellows I currently have.

I also noticed there seems to be a lot of Vintage Blacks flooding the market right now. Wonder if it's connected to the H1 release.

unfortunately vintage black prices are pretty rough (at least compared to what i remember them being previously), both for cleaned switches and harvest boards. pretty much all the old wyse boards i've seen on ebay lately are around $100 when they used to be around $50 a year ago or so. and that's for a switch that requires more work and is often not as smooth as many recent linears  :(

to keep this response somewhat on topic, i got my H1s in yesterday and am really, really impressed. super smooth and the spring is very nice (though i'll be swapping in something much lighter). wasn't sure if the smoothness would be comparable to the tangerine V2s, but they definitely are just as smooth. great switch at a very reasonable price.

Offline MMKB

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 14:04:28 »
Got mine yesterday and the stock switches are very smooth and decently lubed. Less wobble compared to retooled Black, Cream, and Black Ink. Maybe smoother than Ink. I'll test it further on a real keyboard later

Offline dyka.tran

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 22:34:22 »
thanks for the review! good to hear that people are enjoying them!
Hi Eniigma, when will H1 be in stock again?