Author Topic: A First Attempt  (Read 2989 times)

Offline popcap

A First Attempt
« on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 15:04:15 »
So I have been lurking in the forums on and off for a little bit, which is what drove me to getting my first keyboard, a TADA68 with the default keycaps. I however got a artisan off of Massdrop because why not.

After coming across some threads about others adventures in making a keycap I thought why not give it a try myself, and because I enjoyed reading about others results I thought it only fitting to post my own.

I used the Zappy Cappy Z-Butt System, because it was easy to get my hands on and affordable. Having used it now I do like the system especially for hobbyist makers.

I made the sculpted cap first because I like punishment clearly, and then after that I decided to just make a blank keycap to make sure I knew what I was doing without the difficulty of a sculpt.

225119-0

225121-1

225123-2

225125-3

225127-4

225129-5

225131-6

225133-7

With the first attempt behind me I know what I need to do better the next time around. But honestly it was a fun process for my first go. Getting use to using the materials for the first time while also never having molded a sculpt before I know what I did wrong and am ready for my next attempt.

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2019, 18:57:41 by popcap »

Offline popcap

Re: A First Attempt
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 18:42:37 »
Okay in the spirit of documenting my progress I decided to go with a simpler sculpt so that I can work on getting the resin casting process down and experiment with layering. Even without a pressure pot I am managing to have minimal bubbles and the stems are coming out good, will definitely have to invest in one at some point though.

225337-0

Should have wiped off the dust from sanding the caps but didn't realize until just now.
225339-1

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2019, 18:57:58 by popcap »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 18:51:23 »
Looking good :)

Instead of wilin out with the more tags to hide the pics you could just use the insert image tag to make it easier for people to see, especially on mobile.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline popcap

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 18:58:55 »
Looking good :)

Instead of wilin out with the more tags to hide the pics you could just use the insert image tag to make it easier for people to see, especially on mobile.

Yeah fixed that thought maybe people would prefer the post be more condensed, but didn't think about mobile. Thanks