Author Topic: A better clay for keycap sculpting?  (Read 5975 times)

Offline futurebird

A better clay for keycap sculpting?
« on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:12:52 »
I think I'm going to buy this clay. My only reservation is 5lbs is far too much for my purposes. I only need 1 lb

I started to think about all of the beautiful work I have seen on this forum (Confession: I lurked for months before talking.) and I thought: Imagine what THOSE artists could do with better clay. So, basically I would like to share. If you cast caps and would like some of this clay send me a message. This is only for people who have posted evidence of their cap-making (obviously) This is free and my thankyou for those posts that taught me so much.

It'd be cool if in return you could post some photos of what you do with the clay.

There will be 4, 1lb samples up for grabs.

I read so many threads here and think "that was amazing!" but I don't see the point of posting such an inane comment. But, at the same time I do want to express how impressed I am with all this crazy creativity.

:thumb:

"That was amazing!!! OMG!"

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: A better clay for keycap sculpting?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:26:32 »
I think I'm going to buy this clay. My only reservation is 5lbs is far too much for my purposes. I only need 1 lb

I started to think about all of the beautiful work I have seen on this forum (Confession: I lurked for months before talking.) and I thought: Imagine what THOSE artists could do with better clay. So, basically I would like to share. If you cast caps and would like some of this clay send me a message. This is only for people who have posted evidence of their cap-making (obviously) This is free and my thankyou for those posts that taught me so much.

It'd be cool if in return you could post some photos of what you do with the clay.

There will be 4, 1lb samples up for grabs.

I read so many threads here and think "that was amazing!" but I don't see the point of posting such an inane comment. But, at the same time I do want to express how impressed I am with all this crazy creativity.

:thumb:

"That was amazing!!! OMG!"

Clay would not hold up to the casting process as well as one might think.

Because a lot of molding materials are brittle and easily dented I looked for more permanent and chemically resistant solution.

Epoxy putty and epoxy clay are some of the best solutions. 

Kneadatite Green stuff is some of the best there is, but it is a learning process.

This next one is using aves apoxy sculpt.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:34:13 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline futurebird

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 11:09:24 »
I think I might give the kneedite a try too.  But is it putty-like? I am hoping for something that can be carved and smoothed. My experience with clay is mostly working with Yixing clay making small teapots. Very small (but functional) teapots. (Note: for those who know about Yixing pottery, I am far from a master, but I have conquered the paddle and spout shaping as well as lid fitting. I do not wish to overstate my abilities in this ancient and difficult art.) Yixing clay is incredibly hard, it is an air drying clay sadlly so I can't just work with what I know best. But, that may be for the best. It is a very unforgiving clay.

As for the "monster clay" I am sharing: this is not ordinary oil-based moulding clay (so I am told) it is designed for making silicone moulds. It was recommended to me by a special effects artist who works in resin cast miniatures.  What is clear is that normal moulding clays even "professional" grades are an exercise in frustration at this scale!

Offline futurebird

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 11:10:41 »
PS. I have a crush on that lumberjack!

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 11:24:53 »
Isn't Super Sculpey usually used for this type of scale? Building up in layers and curing in between.

Chavant also makes some very hard oil-based clays that have to be warmed to be workable. They sell sample kits.

Usually, the finer the details, the harder you want your clay to be.

The monster clay in the link is low melt which means it is soft. This is better for larger stuff, life-size heads for ex.

Shiflett Bros forum was the forum for small scale stuff but it seems to be gone. (EDIT: http://shiflettbrothers.com/forum/ but almost nothing there)
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 April 2014, 11:30:38 by lowpoly »

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline futurebird

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 11:46:40 »
Ok low melt sounds bad. I need something hard... that never hardens. The issue of baking made me skip over sculpy. Can't bake keys. Also I don't recall it holding detail well or am I thinking of fimo?

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:18:14 »
Can't bake keys.

Why not? Curing temperature for Super Sculpey is 130deg Celsius. Melting point for PBT caps is 223deg Celsius. POM is also higher than 130.

Chavant works the other way round. Hard at room temperature it gets soft with heat applied. In my test kit the hardest clay was NSP Hard and that sample almost felt like a piece of plastic when dropped on the table. The industrial clays are even harder, IIRC.

You have to do tests and figure out what workflow works best for you. Skip Fimo.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:52:34 »
Ok low melt sounds bad. I need something hard... that never hardens. The issue of baking made me skip over sculpy. Can't bake keys. Also I don't recall it holding detail well or am I thinking of fimo?

If it never hardens you won't be able to keep an archival or master for recreating silicone molds.  Green stuff and aves are both very fine detail.  You should be able to tell with the lion at what scale I'm able to produce creases and lines.

In special effects there are only so many copies of an item made, and the scale is also larger so .001% shrinkage isn't that big of an issue.  When it comes to keys any shrinkage comes through in your end result.  Fitting issues occur often with urethane copies of a urethane copy.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline futurebird

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 21:42:10 »
So, the clay came today. It's a lot like wax in some ways but more melty. It's not sticky, which is annoying when I *want* it to stick to a key that I'm using as a base. I'm very happy with the way it smooths. The same clay tools I use for miniature work work very well. No, smells and I can work forever.

I may give the green stuff shot next. I'm still coming up with ideas for "ways to sculpt a key" this better clay opens a few more possibilities. Here are the first few things I made.

62779-0

I'm happy with the crispness of the edges on this polygon. It might even be smooth enough to polish after casting!

62781-1

The legs on this beetle took a long time. I still don't think I'm done. It needs too be crisper...

As for the tentacle? It will be a part of a series.

If the green clay is even better than this stuff I'll be in heaven.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 21:50:57 »
So, the clay came today. It's a lot like wax in some ways but more melty. It's not sticky, which is annoying when I *want* it to stick to a key that I'm using as a base. I'm very happy with the way it smooths. The same clay tools I use for miniature work work very well. No, smells and I can work forever.

I may give the green stuff shot next. I'm still coming up with ideas for "ways to sculpt a key" this better clay opens a few more possibilities. Here are the first few things I made.

(Attachment Link)

I'm happy with the crispness of the edges on this polygon. It might even be smooth enough to polish after casting!

(Attachment Link)

The legs on this beetle took a long time. I still don't think I'm done. It needs too be crisper...

As for the tentacle? It will be a part of a series.

If the green clay is even better than this stuff I'll be in heaven.
Those are some really nice caps. Not sure how functional that tentacle cap would be, but it looks awesome! ;D