Author Topic: A 60% that appeals to a left handed gamer  (Read 3025 times)

Offline worldspawn

A 60% that appeals to a left handed gamer
« on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 13:03:46 »
I know that I and several of my friends who are left handed use the right end of the keyboard, the arrow keys section and numpad for playing games.  this makes most tenkeyless and 60% boards mostly useless to us.  I came across this design which incorporates the arrow keys into a 60% board, which I think is pretty sweet.  I'd love to see a PCB for a board like this done as a group buy. Is there interest for something like this here?
 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gaming-Keyboard-Mechanical-KBT-Pure-Pro-Cherry-MX-Switch-Brown-Switches-W-White-PBT-caps-Dota/1349497774.html

I can make acrylic laser cut cases/plates PM for info

Offline qwack

Re: A 60% that appeals to a left handed gamer
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 13:55:14 »
The Pure Pro layout does not get much love, and I am not sure that there is a pcb available that supports this layout, or if one would get much interest. I have a pcb in the works with features from the Pure Pro, notably the arrow keys corner, and which should be compatible with most keysets, but if you can't wait you should just get a Pure Pro from one of the usual sellers.

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 14:05:23 »
The Pure Pro layout does not get much love

I feel bad for it. Mostly because I love dedicated arrow clusters, and would happily give up several units of my spacebar to make room -- as they've done here (what's that, a 4.25x key?)

I've never used any KBP product, but among them I like the Pure Pro the best, although the new V60 is by them, right? It's pretty nice too. Holding out for MK to carry the GH60, though. And hoping to make a 7-bit layout phantom in the interim ... if Strict's GB makes MOQ.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline qwack

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 14:23:54 »
I think it's a 5.5 spacebar on the Pure Pro. But you don't have to sacrifice the spacebar to get an arrow cluster:

The only non-standard keys on this row are in green — the spacebar is the regular 6.25 size.

The Pure Pro is actually from KBT, the V60 is from KBP. And KBC makes the Poker II... then maybe it's the same OEM between theose names, I've never really known if/how these brands were related to each other.

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 14:54:15 »
I know that I and several of my friends who are left handed use the right end of the keyboard, the arrow keys section and numpad for playing games.  this makes most tenkeyless and 60% boards mostly useless to us.  I came across this design which incorporates the arrow keys into a 60% board, which I think is pretty sweet.  I'd love to see a PCB for a board like this done as a group buy. Is there interest for something like this here?
 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gaming-Keyboard-Mechanical-KBT-Pure-Pro-Cherry-MX-Switch-Brown-Switches-W-White-PBT-caps-Dota/1349497774.html
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/keyboards/quickfiretk/

If you need a right handed area with extra keys I would recommend a layout much like the above ^

otherwise you might want a 75% like a Race layout,

http://rabbitwebfactory.com/pages/kbt_race_2
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 03:21:09 »
I don't like the Pure Pro layout for a few reasons, one of which is that spacebar. Can't replace the keycaps. Then there's the tiny right shift and backspace.

A better layout that has "dedicated" arrow cluster on the right is the original KBT Pure. You can toggle the right hand mods into a permanent arrow cluster. The rest of the caps are good sizes and there is a `~ key on the defualt layer (for those who use Linux or need to open consoles in games a lot).

That said, why not just bind IJKL or OKL: and the surrounding keys for movement and actions, like right handers do with WASD or ESDF? More keys within easy reach than a numpad or arrow cluster. Looks like it would actually be quite a bit better than WASD for right handers, even a little better than ESDF.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 10:01:02 »
With a standard keyboard anyway, the IJKL is in the middle of the board, about 10" from the right edge, in fact, its closer to the left side than the right in a standard layout.  if I were to use those keys, even on a 60%, it would be like asking a right handed person to use TFGH, it doesn't make good sense for where my hands sit on the keyboard.  It's really more a matter of ergonomics than convenience for me anyway, I want my hand as far right as possible.
I don't like the Pure Pro layout for a few reasons, one of which is that spacebar. Can't replace the keycaps. Then there's the tiny right shift and backspace.

A better layout that has "dedicated" arrow cluster on the right is the original KBT Pure. You can toggle the right hand mods into a permanent arrow cluster. The rest of the caps are good sizes and there is a `~ key on the defualt layer (for those who use Linux or need to open consoles in games a lot).

That said, why not just bind IJKL or OKL: and the surrounding keys for movement and actions, like right handers do with WASD or ESDF? More keys within easy reach than a numpad or arrow cluster. Looks like it would actually be quite a bit better than WASD for right handers, even a little better than ESDF.

I can make acrylic laser cut cases/plates PM for info

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 03:56:51 »
With a standard keyboard anyway, the IJKL is in the middle of the board, about 10" from the right edge, in fact, its closer to the left side than the right in a standard layout.  if I were to use those keys, even on a 60%, it would be like asking a right handed person to use TFGH, it doesn't make good sense for where my hands sit on the keyboard.  It's really more a matter of ergonomics than convenience for me anyway, I want my hand as far right as possible.

Then use OKL: or PL:" I don't see the issue here. Thumb rests on spacebar, right Alt is in reach, pinkie on right Shift, can stretch up to Enter and \|, many keys around there are easy to reach. Just like using ESDF or WASD with the left hand. Better than only an arrow cluster (more usable keys around for jump, crouch, reload, flashlight, actionbar bindings, whatever) and about as good as a numpad.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.