Author Topic: A comparison of Model F XT and Model F XT portable  (Read 1804 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
A comparison of Model F XT and Model F XT portable
« on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 01:42:59 »
The keyboard is remarkably easy to open. It turns out that the 5150’s gray plastic is nice and flexi allowing easy removal of the innards. (The white/beige plastic seems to be similar to the F XT’s white plastic. It is more rigid than the Model F 122, and it is textured unlike the Model F AT.)

See these 3 tabs? Stick a screwdriver and pry. MUCH EASIER than any cooler master, Filco, Ducky, Rosewill.

Inside it looks exactly like a Model F XT. With the exception of a telephone cable being hooked to the same (Belkin?) connector.

I used a fridge magnet is to confirm my theory that this is a non ferrous metal. On the portable version, both the front and the back plates are aluminium. And the casing is of course plastic. On the non portable F XT, all 3 plates (front, back and casing bottom) are iron. This keyboard weighs far less than the F XT.

After examining it with some care I believe I can make this keyboard heavier simply by putting an F XT innards inside. But I’m not going to do that. My F XT is STILL in pieces after 1 year. I did buy a box of binder clips hoping to do the WCass binder clip thing to the F XT, but I haven’t figured out what to do about the fallen-off spacebar, that’s my problem.

It’s almost time for me to beg Wcass again for his Model M spacebar clips… (PM will be sent once I have finished some earlier projects).

More information will come in the following months... sooner or later I will work up the courage to go back to fix my F XT. At the least, I intend to see whether the innards are swappable. They should be.

UPDATE

I washed the keyboard and scrubbed it down with a toothbrush. Was disappointed to see that this is painted plastic, so once the external layer is chipped off what's below is a different color.

75334-075336-175338-2

After an entire day of drying in the hot Singapore sun (I even turned it over at different angles), the keyboard still COULD NOT dry completely due to the tabs/legs. But since that's a peripheral part I suppose I don't want to wait any longer. Besides, both legs and both bottom tabs (for fitting into the original housing) CANNOT be removed. It seems to be the way this plastic is constructed, around the tab, rather than having the tab inserted later. There's like 2mm of extra plastic even after pressing in the tabs/ legs fully, so they can't be pushed out even with brute force. I suspect they may have been inserted when the white casing plastic was still hot and expanded in the factory?

75340-375342-4

On closer examination of the connectors indeed this is exactly the same as the F XT. There are a lot of metal prongs inside that Belkin? connector, but actually only 4 of them are used.

75344-575346-675348-775350-8

After using a multimeter to figure out continuity, I ran jumper cables directly to a teensy on a breadboard for testing purposes. I don't intend to use this keyboard; am collecting it until such time as WCass and the other heroes of the Model F revival project successfully start producing suitable parts. The most infuriating part of this keyboard is definitely not the layout; it's the spacebar which seems to be the equivalent of 3 Cherry MX blacks.

75352-9

Anyway, here is my final working setup. I typed the update on this post using the portable 5155. This is a very, very beautiful keyboard and I wish it was more user friendly. But I will be storing this keyboard because it is really impossible to use the spacebar unless I change all my typing habits and start using both thumbs on it.

The construction is very good and far exceeds a Ducky or Deck, even though it is already significantly lighter and 'flimslier' than the F XT non-portable version.

75354-1075356-11

I pray that WCass and his team of geeks (spoken in a non-pejorative sense) will succeed in their project! I would really love to see a TKL F XT! Oh, and also a spacebar of reasonable weight/ stiffness.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 August 2014, 03:39:32 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: A comparison of Model F XT and Model F XT portable
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 07:23:22 »
It’s almost time for me to beg Wcass again for his Model M spacebar clips

Interesting, I have never had one of those.

Wcass spacebar stabilizers work beautifully on the F-122 which has a spacebar very like the Model M. The smaller Fs have mile-long spacebars that probably need something different.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 09:07:09 »
It’s almost time for me to beg Wcass again for his Model M spacebar clips

Interesting, I have never had one of those.

Wcass spacebar stabilizers work beautifully on the F-122 which has a spacebar very like the Model M. The smaller Fs have mile-long spacebars that probably need something different.

Fohat, why don't you teach a man to fish, and do a post on how you make Model M spacebar stabilizers for a Model F keyboard?

I really want to build them for my own F XTs (I don't want the original ultralong space bars) and besides, everytime I ask WCass for something (he's so generous) I need to build up the thickness of the skin on my face first.  :p

On a side note: fohat, do you think it is possible to find some way of mounting extra Cherry MX switches underneath the F XT once space bar has been made smaller? I'm thinking if we direct everything through a teensy anyway, we can also direct signals from extra switches to the teensy. Once F XT has been equipped with enough modifiers, most of the layout grouses will disappear of their own accord.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 10:20:15 »

Fohat, why don't you teach a man to fish, and do a post on how you make Model M spacebar stabilizers for a Model F keyboard?

In my Harry's ANSI mod guide I showed my replacement tabs.

It is a rectangular piece of sheet metal (I used a food tin) about 8mm x 2 cm bent into a "Z" shape and epoxied down to the top plate.

The original plastic tabs must be removed because they are in the way and the "mouth" is too narrow. The tab can be bent up or down a bit to loosen or tighten the movement of the wire.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"