Author Topic: A few modding questions.  (Read 1751 times)

Offline r0yal

A few modding questions.
« on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 11:39:51 »
I have an IBM Model M, and as much as I like it, it's too big.
Would it be possible to cut the numpad portion off and get a metal case (I'm thinking about aluminium or heat anodised steel or iron)
Would this be possible?
ISO-DE Model M "Granny Smith"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: A few modding questions.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 11:41:43 »
The metal case part? Probably not. There's no metal cases for SSKs or anything custom. You'd have to get your board to fit in like a Model F case or a Kishsaver case. Or you could look into the Ellipsaver.

The cutting it down part? Yes, there's been a few builds.

Offline r0yal

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 11:45:01 »
The metal case part? Probably not.

The cutting it down part? Yes, there's been a few builds.

The whole reason I'd be doing this would be to save desk space, so just taking that part out of the case is pointless.
I could probably get a metal case made somehow... Or get an SSK case from someone maybe?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 11:51:03 »
I'm not really following your last post but it doesn't make much sense to cut everything down and shoving it into an SSK case. Might as well just get an SSK. Unicomp might still have some but I'd just cut it down like The_Beast did unless you're really stuck on having the metal case. SSK cases aren't metal by the way.

Model F AT, XT, and the 4704 series all have metal cases....actually I think most model Fs have metal cases if I recall correctly.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 11:58:07 »
I'm not really following your last post but it doesn't make much sense to cut everything down and shoving it into an SSK case. Might as well just get an SSK. Unicomp might still have some but I'd just cut it down like The_Beast did unless you're really stuck on having the metal case. SSK cases aren't metal by the way.

Model F AT, XT, and the 4704 series all have metal cases....actually I think most model Fs have metal cases if I recall correctly.

The XT and AT both have a plastic to, and the AT has a plastic bottom if I remember right.  I use an AT as a daily driver but I use it without a case and it has been heavily modded.

I concur with CBA though that there are no aftermarket metal cases for buckling springs.  But when I get my mill, I hope to change that.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 12:17:06 »
Wait....which Fs had the metal bodies then? I could've swore the XT and AT did ugh.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 12:32:05 »
Wait....which Fs had the metal bodies then? I could've swore the XT and AT did ugh.

AT body is all plastic, XT, 122 have a stamped metal tray type bottom half.  As far as I know all Fs aside from the 4704 banking boards are plastic tops.  But very thick and robust.  Though fragile in key spots, most noticed on the 122
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline r0yal

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 13:58:30 »

SSKs are way too expensive, and I wanted to do this for the price or an SSK, or a little higher, but with an almost indestructible beast of a case.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:11:20 »

SSKs are way too expensive, and I wanted to do this for the price or an SSK, or a little higher, but with an almost indestructible beast of a case.

Yeah no like that have been made yet to my knowledge.  To get one made will probably cost you in the realm of $600+.  That is just for the top and bottom half of the case.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 16:12:34 »
The SSK case has always been the issue.

Chopping off the numpad with a hacksaw and folding the membranes under is no big thing at all.

Cutting and gluing the case is the problem, it can be done but it is never perfect or strong.

If a metal case was available, then all those cheap-ass terminals could get internal Teensies and away you go.

I can imagine a market for at least dozens of those, if not hundreds, if the price could be something reasonable such as <$200 (preferably less than <$100 but that is probably dreaming). SSK fans might want to upgrade to metal on general principle.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"