Author Topic: [HELP] DZ60 "U" key non responsive  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Vladelf

• Keeb Neeb
[HELP] DZ60 "U" key non responsive
« on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 05:24:24 »
Hey, new to the forums so very sorry if I wrote in wrong place or something like that.

So while playing around with my favorite keyboard DZ60 I managed to snap of the USB connector, trying to make a quick fix but didn't work.
I left it on a sad dusty shelf but now months after I'm missing it like an old friend and decided to desolder the whole thing and give it a new connector.

It all worked fairly well, until I start testing all keys and the "U" seems to be non responsive. I'll include images below, but is there a way to fix this by hand wiring across or something? Or might it be a firmware issue? Any help is very appreciated!

(Sorry for the big mf images and not cleaning it properly (YET))

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 October 2018, 05:30:20 by Vladelf »
Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: [HELP] DZ60 "U" key non responsive
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 06:43:09 »
Welcome to geekhack, you're one of the few who has put this in the right place so that's a good start :thumb:

Unfortunately you're suffering from a common problem - white-PCB-itis - which means it's really hard to see what's going on in the pics no matter how big they are!

From the second pic it looks like the rows run along the front of the board on the lower switch pins and according to the firmware it's a sane matrix so my guess is the top switch pin's pad has lifted and is not connected to the diode next to it.  If you short the lower pin to the diode the switch should register, if it does you need to join the top pin to the diode.  Not sure it's big enough for a wire so I'd probably just drag some solder across...

If shorting doesn't work we'll need some pics from a different angle or to ask questions to 'see' what's going on.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Vladelf

• Keeb Neeb
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 09:52:55 »
Welcome to geekhack, you're one of the few who has put this in the right place so that's a good start :thumb:

Unfortunately you're suffering from a common problem - white-PCB-itis - which means it's really hard to see what's going on in the pics no matter how big they are!

From the second pic it looks like the rows run along the front of the board on the lower switch pins and according to the firmware it's a sane matrix so my guess is the top switch pin's pad has lifted and is not connected to the diode next to it.  If you short the lower pin to the diode the switch should register, if it does you need to join the top pin to the diode.  Not sure it's big enough for a wire so I'd probably just drag some solder across...

If shorting doesn't work we'll need some pics from a different angle or to ask questions to 'see' what's going on.

UPDATE
I used ancient methodology to figure out what you meant and it seems to work like this! Thanks stranger!
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 October 2018, 10:22:03 by Vladelf »
Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Offline the-slunk

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 15:29:50 »
Make sure to test every key so that everything is still running In the correct matrix before you solder everything back. Ie. Make sure the other pad is not also pulled and that you're just rerouting the wrong keys back to the controller

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 19:23:32 »
Sorry, hadn't noticed you're not a native English speaker and this stuff is hard to talk about even if you are.  What I tried to say was this - touching the red dots should output a U, if it does you can solder between the green ones.  Or if shorting the yellow works you need to solder the pink.
205676-0

By joining to another row you're going through the wrong diode so will have problems if you press a nearby key at the same time as U, like pressing U and L at the same time it will also output a K as that's a crossover in the matrix.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 October 2018, 19:30:00 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod