Author Topic: WORLDS MOST ADVANCED KEEB  (Read 7163 times)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
WORLDS MOST ADVANCED KEEB
« on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 13:47:28 »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deilor/dygma-raise-the-worlds-most-advanced-gaming-keyboa?ref=8p2qgc

Is this the end of the ErgoDox and other ergo boards as we know it?!?  Will tp4 finally admit defeat?!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: WORLDS MOST ADVANCED KEEB
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 15:38:53 »
Yea.. but what about Tenting ?

Without multi-axis tenting,  this is a half measure at best..

I doubt EGDX's creator understood the importance of multi-axis, it was probably just coincidence that the low budget plate sandwich design with its periphery screw holes made it very convenient to adjust axes.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 16:09:39 »
It is just a split 60% with standard staggered QWERTY, except with more thumb keys, more RGB, Kailh's switch-swapping sockets and integrated wrist rests.
It is more of a competitor to Mistel Barocco and the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard than to the ErgoDox.

The splitting of the Space Bar into four keys is not going to be for everyone and I'm afraid that the low-profile thumb keys in the front could still be too high.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 December 2017, 16:11:44 by Findecanor »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 16:15:04 »
lol @ extreme gaming Diablo

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 16:25:17 »
WOW! THAT IS REALLY ADVANCED! DOES IT WORK ON WINDOWS 3.1?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 19:30:12 »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deilor/dygma-raise-the-worlds-most-advanced-gaming-keyboa?ref=8p2qgc

Is this the end of the ErgoDox and other ergo boards as we know it?!?  Will tp4 finally admit defeat?!

he won't, tp4 is on and on about tenting and this board doesn't have that  :p

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 15:56:45 »

YES BUT YOU'LL NEED ONE OF THESE

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 17:33:46 »
I'm curious about the hot swappable switches, how well does that work in practice? Overall it's a really attractive board, I always though the Hacking keyboard was ****ing ugly as sin, so this is a nice (seeming) alternative to that, and they guarantee it will be tentable as well, which I don't have for my VE.A. I would love to hear more experienced users real thoughts on this...

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 17:47:40 »
I'm curious about the hot swappable switches, how well does that work in practice?
Because they are using Kailh switches and it looks in the animated GIF that there are extra-wide circular holes in the PCB, I think they must be using Kailh's sockets.
The Kailh sockets were used in Input.Club K-Type, so I would look for reviews of that one.

I think that some Cherry MX Clones like Outemu have too narrow pins to get a reliable connection in the cylindrical Holtite sockets. Kailh's sockets instead pinch against the flats.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 22:02:19 »
E-sports is the most extreme activity done with a keyboard, but the keyboard wasn't designed for gaming.  Professionals in their early 20s are suffering frequent back, neck and wrist issues.  If they're already experiencing health problems, what will be like in ten years?

Maybe they'll have real jobs by then?

Actually, I hope in ten years we'll be playing games in virtual reality with wands in our hands, or maybe even glove controllers.  (And programmers and writers will still want keyboards designed for typing.)  I've got a Vive setup here, and even though it's still early days, there's some fun stuff on it.  It reminds me of computer gaming in the 1980s when everything was new and developers experimented freely.  Space Pirate Trainer is a blast!

Online _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 23:38:11 »
End of the day, it was designed by a esports coach looking to improve the lives of his team and competitors. Pretty cool as far as I'm concerned.
I actually see this overtaking the dox because of those gnarly leds and gaming heritage.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 03:31:08 »
Hmm.. The price is €189 at "Save 20% percent") i.e 4/5 of the planned MSRP, which would then be €236 = $280 USD.
Meanwhile, the Kinesis Freestyle Edge sells at $219, although without wrist rests.

BTW. The symbol on their Windows keys ^ (apparenty for "Raise") is the symbol for the Control key used on Macintosh and Unix/Linux systems.

I hope that is a real Y-cable with one USB plug at the other end and not two USB cables.
I have thought of doing a Y-cable setup with two 6-pin plugs as a mod for a split keyboard, but I was too lazy to build it: the idea is to duplicate power and USB to both sides but connect the two lines for I²C through the Y-cable junction.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 December 2017, 04:39:32 by Findecanor »

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 09:58:08 »
The giant space bar is one of the things that we’ve inherited from the typewriter that doesn’t make sense any more; we don’t have the technical limitations from 100 years ago. The thumb is the strongest and least used finger and it's dexterous enough to handle more than a big key.

Agreed.  Not sure how I feel about their "under row" keys, though.  It seems to me like it might be easy to get them mixed up.  I'm pretty dedicated to the 2.25—1.25—2.75 split spacebar layout, myself.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 10:29:07 »
For gaming, you keep the left hand in one position all the time. For typing though... I believe people often move the hand from side to side, not always pressing the space bar in the same position.
Several polls on this forum have shown that people are used to pressing the space bar in diverse ways.

Yes, I know the Kinesis contoured, ErgoDox and all sorts of small or ortholinear keyboards have narrow space bars, but those keyboards are known to have a learning curve. Also, Kinesis contoured's thumb keys have different shapes to help the user locate the right key -- which this keyboard does not have.

Actually, I hope in ten years we'll be playing games in virtual reality with wands in our hands, or maybe even glove controllers.
Wands could also be tiring. It is well known that professional sign-language "talkers" can get RSI from their work, just in different muscles from typists.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 11:43:06 »
Well, you can overdo anything and hurt yourself if you go at it intensely enough.  However…  If I may speculate, I would guess that VR gaming will be less prone to RSI, because the movements are more varied and engage more of the body rather than just twitching the same few little muscles over and over.  I laugh a little at "E-sports", but to me playing in VR feels a bit closer to real sports when I'm ducking, dodging, punching, etc.  Some of the games can be a fair aerobic workout.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 15:17:06 »
What bugs me is when they show how your wrists are bent when using a “normal” keyboard. 

Actually, no.  Mine are straight.  I don’t know how you could properly touch type with bents wrists like that.  You wouldn’t be able to reach a lot of keys. 

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 15:33:21 »
wow it's a g80-5000 but uglier
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline daskeybo

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 15:50:34 »
Thumb keys is a great idea.

Offline kasakka

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 13:39:52 »
I've got a few issues with the design. The non-removable wrist rests are a minus as they make the keyboard harder to transport and it seems that the extra row keys are all 1u which means changing them might make them less comfortable than the stock ones. If the side ones were 1.5u or something it would allow for 3rd party caps better.

How the keyboard is hooked up is also a bit of a mystery as you can see two wires going out but nothing connecting the two halves. Maybe that dongle thing they connect to is what handles the output from each half. If that's how it works it's a pretty clever way to do it. The magnetic connectors give me concern for long term reliability, I really don't see why they didn't just go with USB-C there.

I feel like they are trying too hard to do all the "cool" stuff for this.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 16:54:06 »
How the keyboard is hooked up is also a bit of a mystery as you can see two wires going out but nothing connecting the two halves. Maybe that dongle thing they connect to is what handles the output from each half. If that's how it works it's a pretty clever way to do it.

Yes, that dongle thing (dubbed The Huble) connects the two halves, and as far as I remember, has the "brains" of the keyboard. The idea is that it will make it possible to use it with other compatible devices later. It also allows one to use either side of the keyboard only, and a mouse in the other hand. It is, indeed, a clever design.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 17:50:54 »

YES BUT YOU'LL NEED ONE OF THESE

Show Image

WOW! THAT IS A LOT OF ADAPTERS! IS THAT YOUR COMPUTING SETUP? I DON'T THINK I HAVE THAT MANY ADAPTERS ON MY KEYBOARD.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 18:15:19 »
... it seems that the extra row keys are all 1u which means changing them might make them less comfortable than the stock ones.
I assume you mean the second thumb-key row: those are low-profile Kailh switches with their own keycap mount so you are not likely to replace those caps anyway.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 05:03:41 »

Yikes—hardware with a hard-on!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Coreda

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 05:09:28 »
^ I like that the stool is there just so it doesn't break away  :))

Offline Nikkō

• Reddit: /u/itsSunlight
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 11:12:17 »
Saw this a few weeks ago, just some guys trying to get on the "gaming keyboard" bandwagon. At least they're bringing in something different to the gaming community instead of just doing a TKL or a full size and copying Razer. They might be successful tbh.
Keebs:
-Varmilo x Ducky Miya Pro ~ Cherry MX Blues
-Ozone Strike Battle ~ Cherry MX Reds

Planning to buy:
-Tada68 ~ Zealios 65g

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 20:03:50 »
I think the board is at the very least a step in the right direction.

Would love to see more mainstream brands putting some thought to ergonomics, layout and premium materials rather then just slapping more rgb in boards.

The current lineup of gaming peripherals is pretty sad at best tbh, so this is awesome compared to that.

I kinda like a lot about the board tbh, but I have a few concerns like the Y Cable beeing to short for my liking.
For FPS gaming I would like to get the right side out of the way but still be able to use it for typing in chat for example.

Low profile switches are also tough for switching caps.
I guess you could cast replacements but idk how easy casting for low profile would be?

Offline bukti

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 16:53:02 »
Anyone received their Dygma Raise yet?

Looks like they started shipping recently.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 19:57:26 »
Yea.. but what about Tenting ?

Without multi-axis tenting,  this is a half measure at best..

I doubt EGDX's creator understood the importance of multi-axis, it was probably just coincidence that the low budget plate sandwich design with its periphery screw holes made it very convenient to adjust axes.

Why do people like split?

Offline bukti

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 20:55:04 »
Why do people like split?

Ergonomics. More relaxed setup that results in less wrist pain in the long run.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 23:13:15 »
DYGMA? MORE LIKE LYGMA!!!
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 08:04:06 »

Eatma is a new startup have you heard about it?

Offline bukti

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 01:12:41 »

I don't get it  :confused:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 07:33:25 »

Offline bukti

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 17:37:45 »
Just received my Dygma Raise.

Best keyboard yet for ergo keyboard that's not too different from a standard layout.
Beats out my UHK purely from better modifier keys at the bottom of keyboard.

Just need to wait for their tenting solution to come.

Only criticism is their firmware & software for modifying the keyboard still has a few bugs to iron out, but once setup, it's great.