Author Topic: Do Kailh Choc Low Profile Switches fit Cherry MX cutout SwillKB plate builder.  (Read 9731 times)

Offline NiceBrat

Dear forum,

I want to build a hand wired keyboard with low profile switches.
I did some research, but still do not feel quite sure, so I'm asking here explicitly:
If I create a plate using http://builder.swillkb.com/ cutouts fit for Kailh Choc low profile switches (assuming I use 1.2mm thick plate)?
If yes, which switch type do I need to choose? (I assume the simplest one, but just want to be sure)

Thank you!

Nice Brat.

Offline fpazos

As of my experience the cuts for mx switches are a bit loose for choc switches as these are better with 13.8 mm instead of 14. You can learn to move the cuts on any free cad program as it won't be diffficult

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Offline CloudySkys

You will also want to modify the switch spacing from the cherry standard if you don't want large gaps between the keys. Spacing for chocs is 18mm x 17mm vs cherry mx's 19.05mm x 19.05mm.

Offline squadger

You will also want to modify the switch spacing from the cherry standard if you don't want large gaps between the keys. Spacing for chocs is 18mm x 17mm vs cherry mx's 19.05mm x 19.05mm.

Why the rectangular spacing instead of square? And which is the left-right dimension, 18 or 17mm?

Offline fpazos

Why the rectangular spacing instead of square? And which is the left-right dimension, 18 or 17mm?
That's due to the keycaps that have different width and height. 18 is the width.

Offline Findecanor

Kailh's keycaps have those dimensions .. for some unknown reason. The MBK profile copied those dimensions. Those are keycaps available to buy separately, while mass-produced keyboards with Kailh Choc tend to have keycaps with more normal dimensions.

Note that Kailh's keycap set also has a bit weird sizes: they were made with a uniform ½-unit stagger, so the Caps Lock key is 2u, left Shift 2.5u and so on. The Space bar row's keys also have non-standard sizes.
Some row-staggered keyboards made for these keycaps (such as the 7sKB) have the mods moved a quarter unit to get normal stagger.
MBK profile is available in only 1u, 1.5u and 2u.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 November 2020, 05:08:28 by Findecanor »

Offline fpazos

Kailh's keycaps have those dimensions .. for some unknown reason.

Kailh trolls hahahaha.

I think it is better understandable with an image. I made a keyboard unknowing this. Really it won't affect you so much. Compare my custom made 3d printed square keycaps with the kailh ones.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk