Author Topic: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO  (Read 901390 times)

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
Re: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO
« Reply #1250 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 16:37:08 »
Are the wires in the IBM DIN5 connector color coded? If so what color means what?

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1251 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 16:57:15 »
If so what color means what?

NEVER  TRUST  WIRE  COLOR !
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #1252 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 17:13:42 »
G'day

I am pretty sure that I know the answer to this question already but I thought I check anyway.

So my Teensy ran out of memory, is there any way to hook in an SD card to the teensy (I am basing this off the adaptors that are available on PRJC) and use that for extra memory remembering that its running Soarer's? I have a problem where I like to input long and ridiculous key macros so as to open websites etc. but it maxed the bastard out. I still have about 8 keys begging to be used.

Any ideas help would be much appreciate.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1253 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 18:36:53 »
If so what color means what?

NEVER  TRUST  WIRE  COLOR !
Interesting. I guess that means I should get myself a functioning multimeter.

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1254 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 18:59:29 »
You can do damage if you reverse power and ground.

The daigram in the lower corner applies only to the connection of the F-122 cable to the controller.

http://i.imgur.com/NNquq.jpg[/img]]
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Halvar

« Reply #1255 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 09:09:39 »
So my Teensy ran out of memory, is there any way to hook in an SD card to the teensy (I am basing this off the adaptors that are available on PRJC) and use that for extra memory remembering that its running Soarer's?

As we don't have the source code, you would need Soarer's help to do that. It won't work with the software as it is.

However, there's a better solution: if you're using a Teensy 2.0 now, you can instead use the converter on a Teensy 2.0++ . It uses a different microcontroller (AT90USB1286) that has much more memory, (4x the EEPROM memory of the Teensy 2.0).

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/index.html

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/xt-at-ps2-terminal-to-usb-converter-with-nkro-t2510-180.html#p99841

« Last Edit: Sat, 08 November 2014, 09:16:08 by Halvar »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #1256 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 15:15:40 »
So my Teensy ran out of memory, is there any way to hook in an SD card to the teensy (I am basing this off the adaptors that are available on PRJC) and use that for extra memory remembering that its running Soarer's?

As we don't have the source code, you would need Soarer's help to do that. It won't work with the software as it is.

However, there's a better solution: if you're using a Teensy 2.0 now, you can instead use the converter on a Teensy 2.0++ . It uses a different microcontroller (AT90USB1286) that has much more memory, (4x the EEPROM memory of the Teensy 2.0).

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/index.html

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/xt-at-ps2-terminal-to-usb-converter-with-nkro-t2510-180.html#p99841

G"day

Thanks for your input. I originally looked at this as a solution and I think it will be the way to go. I guess it is really the only solution considering no source code (not that I could or would know how to edit it if I wanted to anyway).

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1257 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 12:08:48 »
You can do damage if you reverse power and ground.

The daigram in the lower corner applies only to the connection of the F-122 cable to the controller.

Show Image

So the image on the bottom right shows the pinout for the connector on the PCB that the cable connects to correct? Is the pinout the same for 101 key terminal boards?
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 November 2014, 12:12:36 by wes1099 »

[May 20, 1987]

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1258 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 12:29:47 »
And another question; how do I make a config file to remap stuff. I know how to do the code but I don't know how to actually make the file...

[May 20, 1987]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1259 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 12:47:56 »
So the image on the bottom right shows the pinout for the connector on the PCB that the cable connects to correct? Is the pinout the same for 101 key terminal boards?

Yes, all the diagrams refer to the sockets on the computer side, the plugs on the ends of the cable will be mirror images. The 2 diagrams at the bottom apply to the 122-key terminal F. I don't know about anything else and would bet money that they are NOT the same.

I think that you will find an easy simple method by wcass in post #560 of this thread on how to remap the Teensy. Also Soarer's response in # 571.

The scan codes are in the documents of Soarer's original post.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1260 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 19:11:23 »
I ordered a mutimeter to figure out the pinout for my model M conversion. I will try and post a chart showing the pinout for the connector on the PCB for anyone who may need it in the future.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1261 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 15:46:30 »
If I find the HID code for a key but can't find the key's name to put in the config file, can I just put they key's HID code?

[May 20, 1987]

Offline Halvar

« Reply #1262 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 19:13:32 »
I didn't try, but I don't think that'll work.

You can just open the file docs/codes.html from the download in your browser and search (Ctrl+F) for the HID code.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1263 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 21:14:10 »
I didn't try, but I don't think that'll work.

You can just open the file docs/codes.html from the download in your browser and search (Ctrl+F) for the HID code.
Well hopefully the HID code for the key I am thinking of is in the list of key names. I have not found any records of a soarer's converter being used on the specific keyboard I bought so I don't know if it works with one specific key, but I am guessing that it will. I am just paranoid about getting my keyboard and building the converter just to have something not work right...

[May 20, 1987]

Offline arakula

« Reply #1264 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 12:15:44 »
I tried to contact Soarer per eMail, but got no response.
Is there anybody here who knows whether he's still around?

Thank you,

Hermann

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1265 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 17:52:05 »
Is there any way to test and see if my converter is working without putting the keyboard together? I had to get rid of the plastic rivets and my bolts are not here yet.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1266 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 19:22:57 »
Is there any way to test and see if my converter is working without putting the keyboard together? I had to get rid of the plastic rivets and my bolts are not here yet.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Offline arakula

« Reply #1267 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 03:42:17 »
Apart from fohat.digs' understandable reaction...

That's a Terminal Model M, right?
Just connect everything as it should be and make sure the membranes sit correctly on top of each other.
Then you can simply press the membranes together by tapping them with your fingertips.
The elaborate buckling spring mechanism that's normally on top of it does nothing else.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1268 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 20:18:33 »
So I have put everything together and the keyboard is not working. Any suggestions?

[May 20, 1987]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1269 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 20:28:55 »
So I have put everything together and the keyboard is not working. Any suggestions?

I am finished being snide with you, that was probably rude, although I may not be much help.

Perhaps I just missed it, but: What is the keyboard? What is the cable connector?

Do you feel good about the pieces being re-assembled correctly after the bolt-mod?

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1270 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 20:37:46 »

I am finished being snide with you, that was probably rude, although I may not be much help.

Perhaps I just missed it, but: What is the keyboard? What is the cable connector?

Do you feel good about the pieces being re-assembled correctly after the bolt-mod?
I am fairly sure that everything was assembled correctly after the bolt mod. Everything feels right at least. The board is  1987 Model M 1390636 and it came with a DIN 5 cable.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #1271 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 07:00:46 »
Anybody got a photo of an internally mounted Teensy for a PS/2 Model M, not a Terminal M?  I want to mount my Teensy internally.  I'm thinking that I need to de-solder the socket, and then connect the Teensy that way by soldering some wires to the socket holes and the Teensy.  Does that sound about right?

I'm going to pose this question again and see if I get an answer.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1272 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 07:40:08 »
Anybody got a photo of an internally mounted Teensy for a PS/2 Model M, not a Terminal M?  I want to mount my Teensy internally.  I'm thinking that I need to de-solder the socket, and then connect the Teensy that way by soldering some wires to the socket holes and the Teensy.  Does that sound about right?

I would do what this guide shows - http://straypoetry.com/ibm-model-m-keyboard/#

It works on all model M's but you will have to shave some plastic off of the panel mount USB connector for everything to fit.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline Halvar

« Reply #1273 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 07:42:37 »
Could you elaborate on "is not working"?  :rolleyes:

Start hid_listen and then plug the usb cable into your computer. What does hid_listen show? Do you hear the Windows sound saying a new usb device has been found? Any error messages? Are any LEDs lit on the keyboard / do they work if you press e.g. caps lock? Any smoke coming from the controller?
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 07:44:32 by Halvar »

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1274 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 09:22:20 »
Could you elaborate on "is not working"?  :rolleyes:

Start hid_listen and then plug the usb cable into your computer. What does hid_listen show? Do you hear the Windows sound saying a new usb device has been found? Any error messages? Are any LEDs lit on the keyboard / do they work if you press e.g. caps lock? Any smoke coming from the controller?
hid_listen says absolutely nothing. Windows does recognize soarer's converter as a HID usb device, it even says it is a keyboard. No error messages, and my specific board is a terminal board so it has no LEDs. No smoke coming from the controller, but I am starting to think that the controller is the issue.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1275 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 09:41:07 »
This is what hid_listen says when I unplug the board - https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9pjysoylghguou/Screenshot%202014-11-15%2010.28.39.png?dl=0

When I plug it back in it just spews out random crap that is different every time.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline Halvar

« Reply #1276 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 11:17:23 »
Looks like a problem with Soarer's converter to me right now.

If no keyboard is plugged into the converter and you start hid_listen first and then plug the converter into the computer, hid_listen should show

Code: [Select]
Waiting for new device:....................
Listening:
wEE

remaining: FFFC

Keyboard ID: 0000
Code Set: 1
Mode: PC/XT

Maybe you can test that first?

Here's what Soarer's converter should say if you first start hid_listen and then plug in Soarer's converter with a Model M connected to it.

It's important that you always plug your model M into the converter first, and only then the converter into the computer. For debugging, it's important that you start hid_listen first before you plug in the converter.

Waiting for device:...........
Listening:
rAA wEE rEE wF2 rFA rAB r83

remaining: FFFC

Keyboard ID: AB83
Code Set: 2 (extended)
Mode: AT/PS2

wED rFA w00 rFA
r11 +E2 dE2

When you plug out the converter, it should say:

Device disconnected.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 11:19:35 by Halvar »

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1277 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:27:11 »
oh sh**! The diagram of the connectors are showing the end on the connector on the PC, not on the cable on the board! That means I hooked the wires up to teensy backwards! Would that hurt anything?

[May 20, 1987]

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1278 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:29:39 »
oh sh**! The diagram of the connectors are showing the end on the connector on the PC, not on the cable on the board! That means I hooked the wires up to teensy backwards! Would that hurt anything? I didn't swap ground and VCC so it should be ok right? I swapped VCC and clock, GND and data, clock and vcc, and and data and GND.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1279 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:33:41 »
The diagram of the connectors are showing the end on the connector on the PC, not on the cable on the board!

Almost everybody makes that mistake, even though it is noted on each drawing and has been discussed countless times.

My understanding is that the only danger is switching power and ground.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #1280 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:47:50 »
yes, as long as you don't put the +5v in the wrong place (from what i've read), you should be fine.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1281 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:17:57 »
ok i re-soldered it and it works now but the 'o' key and they '0' key both output '0o' and sometimes 'o0'. I also have broken stabilizer clips for the spacebar which really sucks because the space bar has to be pressed right in the center to register. I am thinking of sending it into unicomp to get a few original parts replaced.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1282 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:43:35 »
double post
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 November 2014, 09:06:28 by wes1099 »

[May 20, 1987]

Offline Vizir

« Reply #1283 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:52:58 »
ok i re-soldered it and it works now but the 'o' key and they '0' key both output '0o' and sometimes 'o0'. I also have broken stabilizer clips for the spacebar which really sucks because the space bar has to be pressed right in the center to register. I am thinking of sending it into unicomp to get a few original parts replaced.

check if you are connecting to pin pd6 on the teensy++. that is if you are using the teensy++.

i'd recommend sending it to someone in the artisan services. i know that dorkvader and several others from the artisan services do these kind of mods. alternatively, you could ask phosphorglow. there are many others who will do what you need and more!

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #1284 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:14:22 »
Can I do this mod on a regular model m with a dodgy connector? I have a spare teensy 2 and a model m with a bad controller so I was hoping this would be the model ms saving grace. If it is possible could someone explain all the details including which usb wire to where on the teensy and how to use the teensy to bypass the bad controller.

Offline arakula

« Reply #1285 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:20:09 »

I would do what this guide shows - http://straypoetry.com/ibm-model-m-keyboard/#

It works on all model M's but you will have to shave some plastic off of the panel mount USB connector for everything to fit.

It doesn't "work on all Model Ms". Only on the later ones with a fixed cable.
Earlier models use a detachable cable, with an SDL connector mounted on the controller card that sits directly behind the hole in the case.

This needs a much more extensive modification, as you can only ...
  • desolder the connector and solder in a cable instead, then put a panel mount USB connector on top of the board (tricky work)
    or
  • move the complete controller board a bit into the case, in which case you'd have to remove the plastic clips that hold it in place and find a new way of attaching it to the shell. Then you could cut up the original cable behind the SDL connector and attach the leads to the Teensy. Not easily done either.
    Then, of course, there's still this way:
  • drill two new holes in the shell, feed the Teensy's USB cable to the first. Cut up the original cable, leave it connected externally to the original controller, feed the other end through the second hole, then solder the leads to the Teensy. Ugh.
IMO, an external solution sitting on the far end of the cable, either directly replacing the AT or PS/2 connector with the Teensy or by using a PS/2 female connector to plug the original cable into it, would be a far easier way to go.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:33:19 by arakula »

Offline Jersern

« Reply #1286 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:35:02 »

It doesn't "work on all Model Ms". Only on the later ones with a fixed cable.
Earlier models use a detachable cable, with an SDL connector mounted on the controller card that sits directly behind the hole in the case.

This needs a much more extensive modification, as you can only ...
  • desolder the connector and solder in a cable instead, then put a panel mount USB connector on top of the board (tricky work)
    or
  • move the complete controller board a bit into the case, in which case you'd have to remove the plastic clips that hold it in place and find a new way of attaching it to the shell. Then you could cut up the original cable behind the SDL connector and attach the leads to the Teensy. Not easily done either.
    Then, of course, there's still this way:
  • drill two new holes in the shell, feed the Teensy's USB cable to the first. Cut up the original cable, leave it connected externally to the original controller, feed the other end through the second hole, then solder the leads to the Teensy. Ugh.
IMO, an external solution sitting on the far end of the cable, either directly replacing the AT or PS/2 connector with the Teensy or by using a PS/2 female connector to plug the original cable into it, would be a far easier way to go.

Replacing the entire control is probably the better option for me. (I am modding a PS/2 variant) Can you explain how it's done? I (as you can probably tell) have no idea on Model Ms.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:36:58 by Jersern »

Offline arakula

« Reply #1287 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:36:52 »
Can I do this mod on a regular model m with a dodgy connector? I have a spare teensy 2 and a model m with a bad controller so I was hoping this would be the model ms saving grace. If it is possible could someone explain all the details including which usb wire to where on the teensy and how to use the teensy to bypass the bad controller.
That would rather be a job for Soarer's Controller.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #1288 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:39:32 »
Isn't that merely firmware which I would flash after repairs? How would I go about replacing the broken controller with a Teensy?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1289 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 09:03:37 »
I also have broken stabilizer clips for the spacebar which really sucks because the space bar has to be pressed right in the center to register.

There is the mind-numbingly simple and elegant solution by wcass for using 7/16" SAE washers in lieu of tabs:

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1290 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 09:08:04 »
I also have broken stabilizer clips for the spacebar which really sucks because the space bar has to be pressed right in the center to register.

There is the mind-numbingly simple and elegant solution by wcass for using 7/16" SAE washers in lieu of tabs:

Show Image

How did he secure the washers?

[May 20, 1987]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1291 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 10:00:24 »

How did he secure the washers?

The hardware store down the street, I suppose. I bought some for about $0.30 each just to keep on hand.

Oh, wait, are you talking about fastening? Nothing but gravity, that is what makes the solution so elegant!

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1292 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 15:38:47 »

It works on all model M's but you will have to shave some plastic off of the panel mount USB connector for everything to

Thanks.  That guide is for a terminal M.  I'm looking for a photo on a hookup to a PS/2 Model M. 

Great blog, though, I loved the blog.

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #1293 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 15:50:19 »

It works on all model M's but you will have to shave some plastic off of the panel mount USB connector for everything to

Thanks.  That guide is for a terminal M.  I'm looking for a photo on a hookup to a PS/2 Model M. 

This is Ezra from straypoetry.com, I do have a picture of an internal Soarer on a ps/2 model, but you will have to give me a few to find it, I think its on my other camera. I will post is shortly for you.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1294 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:28:43 »

This is Ezra from straypoetry.com, I do have a picture of an internal Soarer on a ps/2 model, but you will have to give me a few to find it, I think its on my other camera. I will post is shortly for you.

Great, thanks for letting me know!

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #1295 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 17:50:57 »

Here is a pic of the one that is sitting in front of me. (I seem to have lost the other pictures, so I took a new one) you can see how I have desoldered the SDL connector, and then soldered wires to the underside of the controller board, and then attached the bulkhead connector, and then routed and attached the soarer (in this case a pro-micro, not a teensy)

This is pretty much my SOP on PS/2 Model Ms.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1296 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 18:59:42 »
Does anyone know of any software that tells you the HID code of the key you are currently pressing? I need to figure out the HID code for the SetUp/Attn key so I can ctrl+f it in soarer's list of key codes.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1297 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 19:22:43 »
Does anyone know of any software that tells you the HID code of the key you are currently pressing?

Aqua Key Test might tell you what you need. Look in the area at the bottom.

After you flash the Teensy with Soarer's firmware, that left bank of function keys on a 122 is identified as "EXTRA_F1-EXTRA_F10" etc, even if Aqua Key Test does not return that value.

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1298 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 19:33:04 »
Does anyone know of any software that tells you the HID code of the key you are currently pressing?

Aqua Key Test might tell you what you need. Look in the area at the bottom.

After you flash the Teensy with Soarer's firmware, that left bank of function keys on a 122 is identified as "EXTRA_F1-EXTRA_F10" etc, even if Aqua Key Test does not return that value.
Aqua key test only does bios key codes and windows key codes. It is not one of the left FN keys on a 122, it is the key where the ESC key is on a terminal board like this one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-English-Keyboard-for-3196-Terminal-103-Key-1390636-/370400729457

The 122 key boards have a similar key on the left hand side so I will try the key code for that.

[May 20, 1987]

Offline wes1099

« Reply #1299 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 19:45:48 »
Nevermind, I figured it out. I just got the windows key code and ctrl+f'd it here - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd375731(v=vs.85).aspx

Apparently the SetUp/Attn key on 101 key terminal boards outputs the windows key code for F13

[May 20, 1987]