Author Topic: [GB] GMK Solarized Dark - COMPLETE  (Read 227073 times)

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
Re: [GB] GMK Solarized Dark - Shipped to Keyclack and Proxies
« Reply #500 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 16:09:23 »
The fact of the matter is that poor communication skills has become a recurring theme with jchan (M65, MC Rebirth, etc) all the while spinning up new products that seem to immediately take precedence over the things he has already started.

That was already the case before this buy started, so it shouldn't come as any surprise in this buy. I bought in knowing full well how he operates, so I'm okay with letting his process run its course. To my knowledge people haven't been horribly scammed by him, he just takes his time.

You say it as though that's acceptable.

Keyclack is not just a single dude running group buys on Geekhack -- Keyclack is a registered LLC in the state of California. Would you hand over hundreds of dollars for something from a local retailer and then just write it off as "well that's just how they do business" when they never send you your item?

I think the answer is no. The answer should be no different for Keyclack. It's time to stop writing off this type of behavior because "that's how he operates" -- the only thing that comes of that is more FUD.

Offline gutsack

« Reply #501 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 16:32:37 »
The fact of the matter is that poor communication skills has become a recurring theme with jchan (M65, MC Rebirth, etc) all the while spinning up new products that seem to immediately take precedence over the things he has already started.

That was already the case before this buy started, so it shouldn't come as any surprise in this buy. I bought in knowing full well how he operates, so I'm okay with letting his process run its course. To my knowledge people haven't been horribly scammed by him, he just takes his time.

Keyclack is not just a single dude running group buys on Geekhack -- Keyclack is a registered LLC in the state of California. Would you hand over hundreds of dollars for something from a local retailer and then just write it off as "well that's just how they do business" when they never send you your item?

I think the answer is no. The answer should be no different for Keyclack. It's time to stop writing off this type of behavior because "that's how he operates" -- the only thing that comes of that is more FUD.

Not that I disagree that people accepting money in exchange for services should be more accountable and communicative, but this obsession with being an LLC making a difference is very silly.

Keyclack is, I'm sure, a pass-through disregarded entity LLC with a sole proprietor (Chan). This is purely a tax consideration, not a suggestion of customer interaction requirements. It basically gives Chan the ability to file self-employment taxes and has some other benefits (and negatives), but has no bearing on how he treats customers.

EVERYONE accepting money from people in exchange for goods SHOULD be forthright, honest and expedient regardless of their tax formation but the formation itself has no bearing on their responsibilities. 90% of the people running group buys here and elsewhere are ill-prepared for the task and have trouble.

The simple, sad truth is that you should not join ANY group buy if you don't have the stomach for this kind of thing, regardless of whether it's run by a single person, an LLC, a corporation or God himself.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #502 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 16:59:07 »
There was someone on one of their Twitch streams that was praising a GB runner because they shipped 100% of their orders on time and had good communication throughout...

Something like that doesn't deserve praise. That should be the bare minimum and the expectation with GB's.

The community as a whole is far too lax when it comes to the slack most GB runners are given.

Yes, I'm aware that delays happen. I'm also aware that it takes 10 minutes tops to notify people through email, post on a forum and post something to reddit letting buyer's know there's a delay.

You don't tell people that their keycaps are going to show up in the next couple of days and then fail to communicate with your buyers for 3 weeks after they've arrived. That's just poor business practice and isn't something that people should  brush off so easily.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 June 2018, 17:35:34 by clik_clak »

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #503 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 19:12:43 »

Lol. Yeah, that makes this completely okay. Sorry, everyone was just being unreasonable. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

this obsession with being an LLC making a difference is very silly.
The simple, sad truth is that you should not join ANY group buy if you don't have the stomach for this kind of thing, regardless of whether it's run by a single person, an LLC, a corporation or God himself.

You're absolutely right. The truth of the matter is that it doesn't matter whether you're a "regular dude," an LLC, or a corporation. It takes no longer than a few minutes out of your day to update a thread with a few words about what's happening.
You all seem to put those who can complete this simple act on a pedestal while, people like Jchan, are given a pass because they're the expected and accepted average group buy runner.
Here's a simple truth for you. You should not RUN any group buys if you're incapable of updating those who participated in it every now and then.

Yes, I'm aware that delays happen. I'm also aware that it takes 10 minutes tops to notify people through email, post on a forum and post something to reddit letting buyer's know there's a delay.

This ^
This is the majority of people. Those who want Jchan's head are the vast minority. The majority wants a simple ****ing update.

Also this ^

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #504 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 20:11:15 »

I am going to preface this by saying I AM NOT calling jchan a scammer. But the same thing could have been said about Ivan right up until he scammed. I didn’t join his Miami Nights buy because he was a scammer, when I joined “To my knowledge people haven't been horribly scammed by him“.

Like I already said tho, I really don’t think that’s what is happening here, and I can totally just wait until he’s ready. I’m also protected since I paid with Amex, so if a few more months pass and everyone else has theirs and mine is still MIA I can still just chargeback. But I don’t expect to need to do that. He shipped muted fast, he sent my refund for senna, this would be a really odd time/thing to start scamming, especially when he is just starting his DSA hydro buy.

Also, just because you don’t mind waiting in silence, doesn’t some how make a complete lack of communication acceptable.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #505 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 21:41:41 »

I don't think you're using FUD in the way that it is generally used, i.e. to spread Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt about some situation making the mobs restless.  That would be more on the side of assuming what the situation is, it seems.  Again, not saying that it's right no matter the explanation, but assuming that he had it without verification is FUD.

Not that I disagree that people accepting money in exchange for services should be more accountable and communicative, but this obsession with being an LLC making a difference is very silly.

Keyclack is, I'm sure, a pass-through disregarded entity LLC with a sole proprietor (Chan). This is purely a tax consideration, not a suggestion of customer interaction requirements. It basically gives Chan the ability to file self-employment taxes and has some other benefits (and negatives), but has no bearing on how he treats customers.

EVERYONE accepting money from people in exchange for goods SHOULD be forthright, honest and expedient regardless of their tax formation but the formation itself has no bearing on their responsibilities. 90% of the people running group buys here and elsewhere are ill-prepared for the task and have trouble.

Well said.

Offline viridius

« Reply #506 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 09:03:53 »
While I received tracking on the 12th, my package has not been delivered to FedEx yet.  Anyone else with tracking see movement on their shipment?

Offline gutsack

« Reply #507 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 09:35:32 »
While I received tracking on the 12th, my package has not been delivered to FedEx yet.  Anyone else with tracking see movement on their shipment?

Sadly, no. I think we’re in the situation I warned about earlier:

The other thing to keep in mind is that these tracking numbers we received are pre-shipment numbers. He has not actually shipped packages, just generated tracking. In the past, I've seen this as a way for group buy runners to extend their time even further by making it seem as if there's progress when there isn't actually anything happening. I hope that's not the case here, but temper expectations.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #508 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 10:02:44 »

Sadly, no. I think we’re in the situation I warned about earlier:

The other thing to keep in mind is that these tracking numbers we received are pre-shipment numbers. He has not actually shipped packages, just generated tracking. In the past, I've seen this as a way for group buy runners to extend their time even further by making it seem as if there's progress when there isn't actually anything happening. I hope that's not the case here, but temper expectations.

Not sure about what goes on with KeyClack's orders, but I've noticed several times that I get the package before it even updates- even that last spacebar kit I posted about here.  Give it a bit, and assume the best!  :thumb:

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #509 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 10:13:04 »
Assume the best... Lol.
keyboards.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #510 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 10:15:40 »
Assume the best... Lol.

Not sure what you mean?  I was just posting anecdotal evidence that I've seen it with his orders before.  And the Oblivion Spacebars got here rather quick all things considered.  But whatever...

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #511 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 11:34:37 »
When it comes to keyclack, assuming the best is a recipe for disappointment these days. You can hope, but don't assume.
keyboards.

Offline johntron25

« Reply #512 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 13:56:45 »
When it comes to keyclack, assuming the best is a recipe for disappointment these days. You can hope, but don't assume.

I concur. Anyways, no tracking# for me yet so i'm still waiting for any updates from JChan.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #513 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 14:29:25 »

There is no difference in this case- it's just semantics.  Hope for the best... Assume the best, no real practical difference here.  And I think you know that.  Just trying to stem the feeding frenzy that comes from the mentality that the sky is falling.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #514 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 12:37:14 »
been playing around with my set. i think i like this combo on my gold kbd66

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #515 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 21:34:37 »

Show Image

Nice split BS! Gold combo is intersting...
I really want my set.  Come on jchan, get your act together :-\

Offline gutsack

« Reply #516 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 23:21:30 »

Show Image

Oh, right... I got so caught up in being frustrated with the lack of news and shipping that I forgot how badly this set turned out. The colors are truly a huge miss. Oh well.

Offline gutsack

« Reply #517 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 23:39:59 »
Oh, right... I got so caught up in being frustrated with the lack of news and shipping that I forgot how badly this set turned out. The colors are truly a huge miss. Oh well.

Not to pile on but I would love to see a postmortem some time about how we ended up with the colors we did, because I genuinely think it would help other future designers/GB runners when planning a set with GMK.

I know renders aren’t always accurate but the difference between the renders and the end product is night and day, so I’m curious which part of the process needed to change, etc, to avoid this outcome. As someone who has considered attempting to design a GMK set recently, this result (and others) made me nervous.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #518 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 10:48:13 »
If you read back through the thread you will see a lot of discussion on the final colors, including explanations from the designer.  However, no amount of explaining can fix the colors.
keyboards.

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #519 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 12:48:46 »
The set looks much better in person. Pictures don’t do it justice. However, it still isn’t anywhere close to the renders.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #520 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 14:29:53 »
The set looks much better in person. Pictures don’t do it justice. However, it still isn’t anywhere close to the renders.

Totally agree with this sentiment.

I just wish this part would get over so I could get another set of spacebars and the colored mods!
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 June 2018, 14:31:43 by chuckdee »

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #521 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 15:31:06 »

Totally agree with this sentiment.

I just wish this part would get over so I could get another set of spacebars and the colored mods!
I might have to give the colored mods a shot if extras ever become available!

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #522 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 09:15:57 »

Not to pile on but I would love to see a postmortem some time about how we ended up with the colors we did, because I genuinely think it would help other future designers/GB runners when planning a set with GMK.

I know renders aren’t always accurate but the difference between the renders and the end product is night and day, so I’m curious which part of the process needed to change, etc, to avoid this outcome. As someone who has considered attempting to design a GMK set recently, this result (and others) made me nervous.

Show Image

The lighting is different from the render from what I observe
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 June 2018, 09:20:26 by rainb1ood »

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #523 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 10:09:14 »

Show Image

You, like other "color experts" here, are just really dumb. I'm not saying the outcome is perfect, but I already explained the process and how we got here. The mistake is not choosing a specific Pantone code beforehand, because not all hex codes and RGB values can be produced in Pantone.

Second time I said this, god you guys are dumb.

Also the ****ing lighting, I can choose any keyset and compare photos and they can look very different from each other. Everybody's a ****ing expert online.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 June 2018, 10:19:17 by thesiscamper »

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline johntron25

« Reply #524 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 12:25:54 »

Show Image

You, like other "color experts" here, are just really dumb. I'm not saying the outcome is perfect, but I already explained the process and how we got here. The mistake is not choosing a specific Pantone code beforehand, because not all hex codes and RGB values can be produced in Pantone.

Also the ****ing lighting, I can choose any keyset and compare photos and they can look very different from each other. Everybody's a ****ing expert online.

He said it twice already guys! God forbid we make say it three times! Oh the heavens!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #525 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 13:12:17 »

Show Image

Man, when you rage you really rage.  :eek:

Offline gutsack

« Reply #526 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 13:15:41 »

I'm so disappointed in this reply, I don't really know where to start. I try to stay as positive as possible in this community (and I think my post history will hopefully confirm that), but there are times like this where it's very hard to feel good about it given how unnecessarily rude and pointed this reply was. Are we really at the point where someone who pays hundreds of dollars for something you designed gets called "dumb" (twice) and a "****ing expert" when asking what happened in the process that led from one set of visuals to a completely different end-product?

People look up to your work, thesiscamper. Any time a new buy is started, people ask for renders from you. Hell, even in this buy itself, especially in the beginning, people continuously doubted the colors that GMK showed in their render and _everyone_ was quick to say "don't worry about that, look at thesiscamper's renders, they're always the best". (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90192.msg2448375#msg2448375, https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90192.msg2449513#msg2449513, https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90192.msg2448486#msg2448486) Maybe you don't want this responsibility (which I would completely understand), but that's the situation you're in as someone who designs lots of amazing stuff. You're looked at as a design leader around here.

I never claimed to be an expert. I'm far from it. That is, in fact, _why_ I asked how this result occurred because _I'm not an expert and I'm curious_.

As someone who I think _is_ an expert (you, thesiscamper), this is a toxic, harsh reply to what I did not think was unacceptable feedback/concern. I'm sorry you're annoyed at being asked by multiple people about the colors. And yes, back in March (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90192.msg2577772#msg2577772) you did post about the colors, but your post was, effectively, "We had to pick Pantone colors". That doesn't really explain how, _even in that post_, you continued to show your render which is nothing like the end product. Yes, renders are just that—renders—but I don't think it's out of line to be disappointed by the end result and be curious which step of the process could be improved for the next buy.

And, seriously, this whole "the lighting in that photo is to blame!" argument is quite well worn at this point. Many, many people have posted photos (including the person selling this set: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90192.msg2578595#msg2578595) and none look anywhere near the renders.

I'm sorry to have offended you with my questions. I'm actually a pretty smart person. I'm not a ****ing expert in this, but I'm certainly an expert in other areas. I definitely don't go around telling other people who aren't experts that they're dumb whenever they ask a question.

The mistake is not choosing a specific Pantone code beforehand, because not all hex codes and RGB values can be produced in Pantone.

Thank you for answering the question, though, amongst all the insults.

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #527 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:34:03 »

Show Image

Holy customer service, batman.

If you are attempting to distract everyone from how horribly this gb was run, by highlighting how horribly it was produced, job well ****in done, sir.

Check mate.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #528 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:57:25 »

Show Image

If you are attempting to distract everyone from how horribly this gb was run, by highlighting how horribly it was produced, job well ****in done, sir.

Check mate.

All thesiscamper did is help design the set. He has nothing to with how keyclack ran the gb/whatever is going on currently.

Offline Delirious

Re: [GB] GMK Solarized Dark - Shipping
« Reply #529 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 19:39:37 »

Show Image

Rofl

The whole thing was a ****show; take another dump on the pile to really seal in the smell. How dare gutsack, as a customer, to voice his opinion. To all the future payers: geekhack is not Amazon, do not leave negative reviews because you have absolutely no rights to voice your opinions even though you pay for the products. Just take it in the ass or else “you are really ****ing dumb”.

Thanks for the lesson.

Sold mine still in shrink wrap and glad I did.

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #530 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 22:23:31 »

Show Image

Check mate.

All thesiscamper did is help design the set. He has nothing to with how keyclack ran the gb/whatever is going on currently.

That was literally my point.

This laughably run gb has been enough of a fiasco as a whole, but the (color) design process was also a failed production in itself, and I was amazed at the designers response that only added insult to injury. I used to respect thesiscamper, but that response is inexcusable.

Its unfortunate, this was a very appealing colorway. I guess we should know better by now when it comes to certain vendors, however.

Offline Haxmuffin

« Reply #531 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 22:38:53 »
sometime today the thread title got changed to 'shipping' instead of 'shipped to keyclack and proxies'

is it happening boys?

Offline gutsack

[GB] GMK Solarized Dark - Shipping
« Reply #532 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 23:20:14 »
How dare gutsack, as a customer, to voice his opinion. To all the future payers: geekhack is not Amazon, do not leave negative reviews because you have absolutely no rights to voice your opinions even though you pay for the products. Just take it in the ass or else “you are really ****ing dumb”.

Thing is, I genuinely wasn't trying to leave a negative review but ask how things ended up where they did. I've been part of GMK sets in the past where the color process was pretty lengthy and required lots of samples, in this buy it seemed like the color issues were all well after people had paid money, and I was genuinely curious how the hiccups in this buy's process and what could have been done differently to change the end result.

Truthfully, though, this community, on a whole, is extremely unforgiving of complaint about results. Any time someone is unhappy with how a buy turned out it's "don't join group buys if you care" or "it's just one guy" or "have patience they'll ship someday" or "if you don't like the result, don't buy from this person again" but there's no way for anyone to discuss their displeasure without it going toxic and south almost immediately. I shouldn't have even asked because part of me knew this would happen, but I had had good experiences with jchan before and I had never interacted with thesiscamper directly.

I didn't mean to explode the thread, sorry.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 June 2018, 01:10:08 by gutsack »

Offline gutsack

« Reply #533 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 23:21:27 »
sometime today the thread title got changed to 'shipping' instead of 'shipped to keyclack and proxies'

is it happening boys?

Some of us got shipping notices recently but no products have actually shipped recently as far as I can tell (they were just pre-shipment notices). I emailed jchan today asking when my pre-shipment would actually be shipped but have not heard back.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #534 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 01:56:53 »
How dare gutsack, as a customer, to voice his opinion. To all the future payers: geekhack is not Amazon, do not leave negative reviews because you have absolutely no rights to voice your opinions even though you pay for the products. Just take it in the ass or else “you are really ****ing dumb”.

Thing is, I genuinely wasn't trying to leave a negative review but ask how things ended up where they did. I've been part of GMK sets in the past where the color process was pretty lengthy and required lots of samples, in this buy it seemed like the color issues were all well after people had paid money, and I was genuinely curious how the hiccups in this buy's process and what could have been done differently to change the end result.

Truthfully, though, this community, on a whole, is extremely unforgiving of complaint about results. Any time someone is unhappy with how a buy turned out it's "don't join group buys if you care" or "it's just one guy" or "have patience they'll ship someday" or "if you don't like the result, don't buy from this person again" but there's no way for anyone to discuss their displeasure without it going toxic and south almost immediately. I shouldn't have even asked because part of me knew this would happen, but I had had good experiences with jchan before and I had never interacted with thesiscamper directly.

its not just group buy's the longer I am in the community The more toxic it has become/seems. Perhaps its something new or always been this way but between we can't hold anyone accountable to o that's a copy of XYZ. Which most the time is a copy of YZX but that gets left out. Thats not to say its all bad just seems like there is a LOT of negative and a lot of BS thrown around in general.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #535 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 02:20:19 »

You have every rights to voice your complaints if you pay for it. Just like any other consumer products, there are a review process where actual buyers voice their opinions, whether negative or positive. It's part of the growth process for both the manufacturers and the consumers. Also as consumers you are entitled to protection against scams or faulty products. Clearly most group buys are outside of that scope, the runners have to rely on participants' fund to produce products, hence the wait time. Having said that, beside the long wait, you still have every rights to be passionate and opinionated about your purchases. Don't let anyone take that away from you.

That has always been my principles. I have been around for 6 years but I rarely post because I only voice my opinions in projects that I am invested in. And when I do, I am very opinionated about it. E8-V1, Evil80, and Solarized Dark are some of my recent complaints. And you better believe I stand behind my complains 100%

Secondly, nobody is blind in this place; there are almost a 100 pictures with different lighting and post-process, and this set still derails so far from the original intention.

Finally, designer must have the ability to absorb critiques, that how you grow as an artist/designer/maker. You don't insult critique-givers. It doesnt take a film philosopher to recognize good films. It doesnt take a color theorist to say Solarized Dark is a ****show. Get off your high horse, learn how to filter criticisms, and definitely do not insult the people who funded your visions. Thesiscamper took me by surprise with the personal insults, I hope one day he'll grow up.

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #536 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 05:46:40 »
If you're gonna compare to the render, at least do it in similar-ish lighting. This potato pic is still a ways off from reality (alphas slightly too saturated, mods too dark) but it's the closest I've gotten it and I've seen:

This is an extremely un-photogenic set, like I have literally not seen a single picture anywhere that does them justice. I will agree it's a decent bit different from the renders, but not even close to what the pictures show.

IRL, the legends are clearly grey and not white like cameras seem to think, the alpha blue is clearly visible but not remotely bright, it's very calm and understated, ever so slightly greenish too as it should be (pic doesn't really get that), modifiers aren't clearly blue but the colour presents itself more as a tone, a cold off-black, almost iridescent, really cool imo. The TU2 accents are violently cyan, pure energy, and serve to contrast the rest of the set and make the gentle, subdued nature more clearly visible.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline iamjaklol

« Reply #537 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 12:42:56 »

Show Image

Hi Thesiscamper, I only lurk here normally but your comment compelled me to sign up to post in response. As a bit of context, I am a print & packaging designer who before my current role worked in colour proofing across paper and plastics (think matching brand colours to physical shampoo bottles, website palettes to printed promotional media, that kind of thing) so I'd definitely put myself firmly in the "color expert" category. I am also an owner of the Solarized Dark set.

I will outline that I do in fact like the keyset, the colours work well together in person and although they vary drastically in different lighting, this is to absolutely be expected. I have no problem with the set itself in isolation, but it certainly isn't what I originally put money forward for and both the process outlined in this thread and your response above are very worrying from a professional and consumer perspective. None of my message is intended as disrespect or a dig, but as someone who understands the quandaries of dealing with products moving from a digital realm to the real world I'm just genuinely interested to find out your thought process.

I'd be curious to hear your answers if you'd be so kind as to humour my following questions:

• You say that one mistake was not using Pantone references from the start, instead having to try and cobble matches together after the initial funding stage of the buy had concluded. Why did you not consider this as a stepping stone from the get go? Why not design using Pantone colours from the start?
  • On the topic of Pantones, I haven't seen anywhere in the thread which swatches were picked in the end and I'm keen to do a test to see how closely they match up in the end. What swatches were your final choice?
  • After the colours were submitted to GMK, the samples you (I refer to the team as a whole, not just yourself here) received were drastically off-brief from the original design and the project took on a different direction at that point. Why did you settle for something so significantly different at this stage, when there could have been interjection to correct and as closely match the original colours as possible? How many of the original members of the group buy were asked about this change?
  • Your response quoted above brashly says that you explained the process previously; you have kind of explained a couple of bits to do with renders and final products, but there are still things that people are clearly upset/confused about in relation to the produced keycaps. Why such a guarded message to people who are looking for answers?

Offline gutsack

« Reply #538 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 13:51:23 »
If you're gonna compare to the render, at least do it in similar-ish lighting. This potato pic is still a ways off from reality (alphas slightly too saturated, mods too dark) but it's the closest I've gotten it and I've seen:

Show Image

This is an extremely un-photogenic set, like I have literally not seen a single picture anywhere that does them justice. I will agree it's a decent bit different from the renders, but not even close to what the pictures show.

IRL, the legends are clearly grey and not white like cameras seem to think, the alpha blue is clearly visible but not remotely bright, it's very calm and understated, ever so slightly greenish too as it should be (pic doesn't really get that), modifiers aren't clearly blue but the colour presents itself more as a tone, a cold off-black, almost iridescent, really cool imo. The TU2 accents are violently cyan, pure energy, and serve to contrast the rest of the set and make the gentle, subdued nature more clearly visible.

This is indeed the closest photo I've seen to the renders, but perhaps it highlights the case that in this render pass, the lighting was completely unrealistic unless you sit in pitch-darkness all day and night at your desk (I, personally, don't). But I will agree this looks closer. In the future, it certainly falls on me to be more critical of renders and lighting conditions and to consider the fact that my office is well-lit most of the day so if it looks too dark in renders it will look wrong in real life for me. Thanks.

Offline Uleoja

« Reply #539 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 14:59:26 »
Recieved my kits and put them on my ergodox.

Here's how they look:
Show Image

The modifiers are indeed quite dark, this is one (on the right) compared to some black SP DCS blanks (on the left):
Show Image

This, I thought was pretty close to the renders.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #540 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 16:00:16 »
Finally, designer must have the ability to absorb critiques, that how you grow as an artist/designer/maker. You don't insult critique-givers. It doesnt take a film philosopher to recognize good films. It doesnt take a color theorist to say Solarized Dark is a ****show. Get off your high horse, learn how to filter criticisms, and definitely do not insult the people who funded your visions. Thesiscamper took me by surprise with the personal insults, I hope one day he'll grow up.

Everyone has a breaking point.  I hope if you ever reach it on any project, people treat you with more grace.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #541 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 16:08:23 »
GMK "renders" look always flat, like something filtered through an opaque layer.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #542 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 16:42:20 »

Everyone has a breaking point.  I hope if you ever reach it on any project, people treat you with more grace.

That's fine and all, but I've seen thesis break on more than one occasion. One of them was on me!

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #543 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 16:54:31 »

That's fine and all, but I've seen thesis break on more than one occasion. One of them was on me!

FTFY  ;)  :thumb:

Being serious, that's unfortunate.  But I don't think that obviates my statement in any fashion.  :thumb:

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #544 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 17:30:41 »
All the trackings have been sent out.

A major number of the tracking numbers have not been updated (pending). Our USPS pickup person has left USPS, so today, we'll be taking these to USPS. You will see it move tomorrow.

--

If you're waiting for a replacement keycap, you will get the tracking today after I finalize the list. You'll get tracking via email on file. If you've changed addresses since then, please notify support@keyclack.com . I will be holding the replacement keycap shipments for a day before dropping them off at USPS.

--

This GB should be marked to be completed in 2-3 days.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline Delirious

« Reply #545 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 18:16:56 »

I don’t need people to treat me with more grace as long as I don’t call them dumb****s

Offline JFKroflcopter

« Reply #546 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 18:55:16 »

A major number of the tracking numbers have not been updated (pending). Our USPS pickup person has left USPS, so today, we'll be taking these to USPS. You will see it move tomorrow.

--

If you're waiting for a replacement keycap, you will get the tracking today after I finalize the list. You'll get tracking via email on file. If you've changed addresses since then, please notify support@keyclack.com . I will be holding the replacement keycap shipments for a day before dropping them off at USPS.

--

Hey jchan,

Have a quick question. I already received my base kit and colored modifiers with the first batch of shipments. Just wondering if I'll receive separate tracking for the stepped caps and stepped ctrl caps.

I saw that you're still working on tracking for 'replacement keycaps'. I didn't know if the stepped caps fell into that category.

Thank you!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #547 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 20:01:18 »

--

--

Thanks jchan, looking forward to seeing these in person
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Uleoja

« Reply #548 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 10:55:11 »

--

--

Thank you so much!  I hope all is well and god bless!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #549 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 10:57:24 »

FTFY  ;)  :thumb:

Being serious, that's unfortunate.  But I don't think that obviates my statement in any fashion.  :thumb:

Well, I think it's pretty rude of him to say what he did. I've seen plenty of people at breaking points rage online and to me it's never an excuse to call people dumb, even if you feel you are more experienced in a profession.