Author Topic: Does anyone have Pantone plastic chips and...  (Read 6012 times)

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
Does anyone have Pantone plastic chips and...
« on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 16:37:01 »
Hey,

Does anyone have any Pantone plastic chips and a Color bridge (or Formula guide)?

I would like to see how they compare for the same colours. It can be just one or a few colours.

Thanks

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
Re: Does anyone have Pantone plastic chips and...
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 16:39:51 »
Hmm. This should probably be in the keycaps section but oh well.

Offline nevin

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 03:33:38 »
Any Pantone chip (plastic or fabric or paper) should be the same as the book color. That's what the system is meant to be. A way to reference a color by a number that anyone tell exactly what color/hue/shade you are referencing.

What would be interesting is taking a spectrometer to signatures, gmk or other's plastic color samples and making a cross reference sheet. (which might already exist) Using a spectrometer to get the color reading straight from the keycap producers plastic color samples. Pantone has a number of them but you could use other brands as well.

I saw Pantone has an app as well (iOS only as far as i saw) that can work similar to a spectrometer but results would vary greatly depending on lighting, etc. (picking a PMS color from an image captured through the phone's camera) This method would not be as accurate but would probably get you in the ballpark. If you were to go this method, i'd suggest using a camera card (color/grey card) & color correcting the photo before sampling for PMS. (to fix any lighting issues)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 09:34:22 »
I also thought that they would be similar. However, I spoke with another designer and, without going into detail, there seemed to be noticeable differences between the two. I don't know how old their guide was.

My issue with the color guide (coated) is that I have a match in incandescent lighting and another in daylight. I suppose that Pantones are sampled in neutral light. From what I can see, the coated paper is more reactive to red light. I expect the plastic chips to behave more like keycaps.

Taking a spectrometer to keycaps and Pantone plastic chips would indeed be interesting and quite useful for rendering.

Offline nevin

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 11:31:37 »
The books/chips will vary slightly depending on application. Have you ever looked at the differences between a coated guide and a solid to process guide (coated vs. CMYK printed). Or coated vs uncoated for that matter.... I'm sure a plastic chip is not the exact same as a coated (paper) chip, as the pigments for those materials will vary but they should be close. There has to be a margin of acceptability or we'd all go broke & insane.

Yes. Lighting plays a huge part in how the color (chips in-book or otherwise) are perceived. Probably part of the reason Pantone's light booth is still available.

The nice thing about a spectrometer is it takes the lighting variable out of the equation.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 11:58:29 »
That's why I'm looking for pictures comparing plastic chips to coated paper.

The plastic chips are expensive and I want to narrow down the number of chips I need to order.

For example, if I know that the plastic chips are darker than coated paper in general, then I won't bother ordering colours that are already too dark in my coated guide.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 12:13:42 »
yep. the plastic chips are their most expensive guide.

you might have better luck trying another forum more in the design/manufacturing realm to find someone with a set.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 12:17:35 »
Good idea

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 19:15:18 »
Hey,

Does anyone have any Pantone plastic chips and a Color bridge (or Formula guide)?

I would like to see how they compare for the same colours. It can be just one or a few colours.

Thanks

Your mention of a Formula guide made me think of this site - https://encycolorpedia.com/

I know it's not what you're talking about in this thread, but thought you might find it useful.  I use it to compare colors from different manufacturers; Pantone vs RAL for example.

Offline nevin

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 21:28:03 »
Spectrometer on sp chips would be the only way to get a true reference.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 13:31:57 »
I also thought that they would be similar. However, I spoke with another designer and, without going into detail, there seemed to be noticeable differences between the two. I don't know how old their guide was.

My issue with the color guide (coated) is that I have a match in incandescent lighting and another in daylight. I suppose that Pantones are sampled in neutral light. From what I can see, the coated paper is more reactive to red light. I expect the plastic chips to behave more like keycaps.

Taking a spectrometer to keycaps and Pantone plastic chips would indeed be interesting and quite useful for rendering.

Yes, there are sometimes significant differences between the paper color guide and the plastic chip. See this example that was sent to my friend by Pantone customer service:

Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 18:51:57 »
Hey,

Thanks

Your mention of a Formula guide made me think of this site - https://encycolorpedia.com/

I know it's not what you're talking about in this thread, but thought you might find it useful.  I use it to compare colors from different manufacturers; Pantone vs RAL for example.

Thanks for the link. Could be very useful.

Yes, there are sometimes significant differences between the paper color guide and the plastic chip. See this example that was sent to my friend by Pantone customer service:

Show Image

I never thought of asking Pantone. Good idea.