Author Topic: TECK - Blue switches are back  (Read 3397 times)

Offline AlphaEta

TECK - Blue switches are back
« on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 18:08:02 »
I know TECK doesn't have a great reputation here but for anyone who does care, I received an email to update me on my order and this was on it.

"We want to mention that we are now also manufacturing the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard Model 207 and 209 with Click Soft Tactile (Blue) switches and Soft Linear (Red) switches. If you prefer to change your backorder - free on any charge, please reply to this email with the keyboard of your preference. There is no need to reply to this email if you want to receive the product you ordered."

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

Re: TECK - Blue switches are back
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 00:25:29 »
I'm not seeing it on their website. I wonder if it is being offered to those who have keyboards back ordered before being put on their website. Not sure why they didn't offer blues already. For an ergonomic aimed company I can see why they wouldn't want to offer black switches, but blues seems like a no-brainier.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 13:23:55 »
I'm not seeing it on their website. I wonder if it is being offered to those who have keyboards back ordered before being put on their website. Not sure why they didn't offer blues already. For an ergonomic aimed company I can see why they wouldn't want to offer black switches, but blues seems like a no-brainier.

Maltron keyboards have blacks by default. I don't think it's an issue.

TECK had blues and definitely reds at first IIRC. Not sure why they stopped selling them.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 21:35:21 »
I haven't seen any threads about the TECK. What do people think of it? Is their any reason to get it over the an ergodox? (Besides availability...)
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 00:22:14 »
I haven't seen any threads about the TECK. What do people think of it? Is their any reason to get it over the an ergodox? (Besides availability...)

The main problem people have with the TECK is with the company itself and their problems with customer support.

A fair amount of people like the design, but it's not as flexible since you can't separate or tent the keyboard like with the ergodox or kinesis freestyle. If you have a specific need for splay / tenting / separation, then the TECK isn't for you.

The biggest reason to get the TECK over the ergodox is it's a product you can buy easily. Aside from that, some people might prefer the TECK's layout because it has function keys, an arrow cluster, etc or that they don't necessarily like all the thumb keys on something like the ergodox or kinesis advantage.

I thought Anandtech.com did a decent review of the TECK, Kinesis Advantage, and Ergodox. If you have the time, I suggest checking out the reviews.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 09:00:32 »
TECK had blues and definitely reds at first IIRC. Not sure why they stopped selling them.

They got a bad run of switches, many of the blues were defective and sticky, I imagine it cost them a lot of money to rectify that situation. Due to the design of the TECK with the metal plate it's not easy to swap out an individual key. I have one of the original Blue TECK and while it did have some sticky keys it fixed itself after a few months of sitting around.

Also they had a pretty big product line what with three types of switches, three models and two types of key caps.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline nomaded

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 00:40:11 »
Looks like both Blues and Reds are available now.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout