Author Topic: Help with KBDfans MX Sliders on my Realforce 87u  (Read 7219 times)

Offline Gdubb90

Help with KBDfans MX Sliders on my Realforce 87u
« on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 00:37:11 »
Hello all!

As the title says I need some help with installing the topre mx sliders I bought from KBDfans recently. Its just two small questions so hopefully it won't be too big of a deal.

1) The stock control key slider on the 87u is shaped a little bit different than the others. Do I need to file down one of the mx sliders to fit?

2) How do I replace the stock space bar stabilizers? Is there something in this kit that will let me do that? Or do I have to modify it somehow?

I have attached some photos below.

219724-0

219726-1

219728-2

219730-3

219732-4

219734-5

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

///    /// 

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Help with KBDfans MX Sliders on my Realforce 87u
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 02:09:35 »
You don't kbdfans doesn't have a topre to mx stabs for the spacebar.  You should reread the product page.  Easiest way is to get a matching topre spacebar you use for your key set

And yes left bottom ctrl topre housing is rotated to fit a led you would need to desolder the led and file the plate until the housing fits the other way.

I would link some guides but i am on a phone at the moment.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2019, 02:13:26 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Kelseer

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 02:38:31 »
I've done this mod myself (partially) as I'm waiting for some 3D printed sliders to complete the mod. (WIP image of the mod here: https://imgur.com/a/bQ6MymZ )

Firstly, the LCTRL housing is not standard as to allow a LED light to shine through. You'll need to desolder the LED first which shouldn't take more than a few seconds. Next the shape of the socket is not the same as the others, so you'll need to use a Dremel and/or a file to make it socket larger in order to fit in a standard housing. I used a Novatouch housing afterwards, but probably you might be able to use the existing housing with the KBDfans sliders.

For the spacebar, on the Realforce this is a 6u spacebar, which won't be compatible with most MX sets (I think most sets don't come with 6u spacebars, and even if they do, the housings are not the same). Also, most aftermarket sliders won't have any spacebar stablizers anyway, so you'll need to get a bit creative here.

Your options are to stick with stock Topre spacebars, or buy the 3D printed Shapeways sliders (Google it), but there are versions for 6u and 6.25u spacebars. Do note you will have to mod the plate if you go down this route as the bottom row is non standard.

I have the Shapeway sliders coming in today, so I can only comment how effective they are after I do the mod.

Also, do remember to cover up the other parts of the keyboard, as you do not want metal dust getting into the sliders. Also, maybe consider some thin lube on the slider rails, as the KBDfans sliders could be a bit scratchier than stock Topre ones.

Two users have done this same mod on these forums, and here are the links to them:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93802.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93076.0

Good luck.

Offline Gdubb90

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 03:24:38 »
You don't kbdfans doesn't have a topre to mx stabs for the spacebar.  You should reread the product page.  Easiest way is to get a matching topre spacebar you use for your key set

And yes left bottom ctrl topre housing is rotated to fit a led you would need to desolder the led and file the plate until the housing fits the other way.

I would link some guides but i am on a phone at the moment.

Ok thank you so much for the info, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I know where to move forward from here.  :thumb:

I've done this mod myself (partially) as I'm waiting for some 3D printed sliders to complete the mod. (WIP image of the mod here: https://imgur.com/a/bQ6MymZ )

Firstly, the LCTRL housing is not standard as to allow a LED light to shine through. You'll need to desolder the LED first which shouldn't take more than a few seconds. Next the shape of the socket is not the same as the others, so you'll need to use a Dremel and/or a file to make it socket larger in order to fit in a standard housing. I used a Novatouch housing afterwards, but probably you might be able to use the existing housing with the KBDfans sliders.

For the spacebar, on the Realforce this is a 6u spacebar, which won't be compatible with most MX sets (I think most sets don't come with 6u spacebars, and even if they do, the housings are not the same). Also, most aftermarket sliders won't have any spacebar stablizers anyway, so you'll need to get a bit creative here.

Your options are to stick with stock Topre spacebars, or buy the 3D printed Shapeways sliders (Google it), but there are versions for 6u and 6.25u spacebars. Do note you will have to mod the plate if you go down this route as the bottom row is non standard.

I have the Shapeway sliders coming in today, so I can only comment how effective they are after I do the mod.

Also, do remember to cover up the other parts of the keyboard, as you do not want metal dust getting into the sliders. Also, maybe consider some thin lube on the slider rails, as the KBDfans sliders could be a bit scratchier than stock Topre ones.

Two users have done this same mod on these forums, and here are the links to them:

Good luck.

These should tell me everything I need to know. I really appreciate it!! I wasn't having much luck searching for these threads on my own.  :rolleyes:
  ///    /// 

Offline Kelseer

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 08:42:22 »
Good luck. Also, do post images and progress on how you fared. I plan on doing the same, just waiting to get the final parts in before I start work on it. But for now, I'm really happy with how 99% of how the keyboard turned out. SA thick keycaps on Topre domes = heaven. I can't go back now, and thats the only downside.

Offline Gdubb90

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 13:45:45 »
Good luck. Also, do post images and progress on how you fared. I plan on doing the same, just waiting to get the final parts in before I start work on it. But for now, I'm really happy with how 99% of how the keyboard turned out. SA thick keycaps on Topre domes = heaven. I can't go back now, and thats the only downside.
I'm really happy with it so far as well. As soon as I get to work on it I'll post some updates for you and anyone else who might be interested.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

///    /// 

Offline s777en

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 19:06:08 »

Good luck.

can i see the current build?