• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 17:45:33 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2017, 16:13:59 by xondat »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Single Piece Acrylic 60% Case
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 17:54:02 »
Can't help with the measurements but I had to post to say that I like the look of this - good work!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 17:56:06 »
I'd take one at fifty.

8)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 18:38:58 »
Looking good!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 19:02:11 »
Very nice project xondat!

I'm thinking about doing the same but instead of acrylic I'll go for anodized aluminum. The thing is that I don't have LED's to make the acrylic look good, so might as well go for a heavy solid case. My board is a V60 and it would be awesome if I could avail of your renders and measurements, with your permission of course.

What's the current state of the project?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 19:08:21 »
that looks really cool!

would this be a clear acrylic? or frosted?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 19:47:43 »
That is the nicest acrylic I've seen. I'd be down for one if you ever get a few more made.
I have a cheapo TB one that I actually really like because of its angle, but it's not anywhere near resembling yours.

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 20:15:06 »
Keep in mind, you will need access to a 2.5D CNC and something like a Haas Mill would do quite nicely

You might want to check yours against Ziptyze
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:983332

I am working on my own here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1187467

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 06:37:56 »
Very nice project xondat!

I'm thinking about doing the same but instead of acrylic I'll go for anodized aluminum. The thing is that I don't have LED's to make the acrylic look good, so might as well go for a heavy solid case. My board is a V60 and it would be awesome if I could avail of your renders and measurements, with your permission of course.

What's the current state of the project?

In development at the minute. I'm happy to give you the sources I used as I'm not sure I have everything lined up properly at the minute! I'll also link you the SketchUp file for the 'plate'.

More

that looks really cool!

would this be a clear acrylic? or frosted?

I originally planned for clear but I'll look into frosted and possibly aluminum if I'm happy with how it turns out and people are interested in it; I want to avoid it being similar to, for example, a Duck board.

That is the nicest acrylic I've seen. I'd be down for one if you ever get a few more made.
I have a cheapo TB one that I actually really like because of its angle, but it's not anywhere near resembling yours.

Thanks; as mentioned above, if I'm happy with the product I'll create a IC next year in January.

Keep in mind, you will need access to a 2.5D CNC and something like a Haas Mill would do quite nicely

Cheers for the CNC info, I don't know much about it but have a friend that has a smaller one so I was planning on getting him to help quite a bit.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 07:57:24 »
Day 2:

Realized that I made the side walls wrong, and it should also be on a 7 degrees angle perpendicular to the bottom. If I didn't notice I would of been left with an unpleasant gap between the plate and the wall (left a picture below). Fixing it now, so should be posting an improved version later with the 'finished' USB hole on the back.

After I'm happy with the design I'll contact the company I want to cut it and get a real quote and time allowance for it; I'll also do some research about frosted acrylic and aluminum.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 June 2017, 13:31:17 by xondat »

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 10:01:17 »
Also, if not planning on milling your own plate, you should look at the plate templates that others have created. Just about every plate you buy has a curved edge rather than a straight one.

I have a few of the LeandreN plates and they are quite nice, especially for the price. Speaking from experience here, you would want those to be either Water-jetted or Laser cut. If you lived in Dallas, I could help you with this stuff as the Dallas Makerspace has everything other than the WaterJet. Though we do have an industrial mill that is tight enough to do plates, but the bits are very expensive.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:01:40 »
Also, if not planning on milling your own plate, you should look at the plate templates that others have created. Just about every plate you buy has a curved edge rather than a straight one.

I have a few of the LeandreN plates and they are quite nice, especially for the price. Speaking from experience here, you would want those to be either Water-jetted or Laser cut. If you lived in Dallas, I could help you with this stuff as the Dallas Makerspace has everything other than the WaterJet. Though we do have an industrial mill that is tight enough to do plates, but the bits are very expensive.

Good call on the curved edges, I bought the 6th CF plate from Leandren so I'll check that out later. I live in the UK so I guess I have a lot less options than the US but I'll worry about that when I've completed the design :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:09:51 »
Day 3 begins:

I've fixed the tilt problem so the plate should be flush with the case now, but as mentioned by childofthehorn, I need to work out the compatibilty with curved edge plates. That's a smaller design point at this minute though, and it might come down to preference unless I can convince jdcarpe to tel me the curvature, but if I only make it work for his plates then it may not be compatible with others if I do plan to sell future copies. I'll leave it for now though.

Here is the side profile at the minute without the bottom half completed. It measures exactly 25mm x 99.25mm. I really want it to be 25mm x 100mm but that would involve making the top or bottom edge more than 3mm; all edges are currently 3mm so it's a balance on which I prefer. I think I prefer all sides being 3mm over 0.75mm, which is frankly a tiny space & tweak.

I'm still unsure on the placement and sizing of the standoffs, so I may have to leave it for a while until I either get my Pok3r, which is a gift for Christmas, or a very kind user comes along and helps me with those. *hint* :thumb:

But for now, I'll carry on and perfect the side profile, as I want it to be as perfect as I can design it; I want it to look exactly how I did before which shouldn't be too hard but I apparently produced some very awkward decimals in the process. I'll update on my progress tomorrow as the development continues.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:15:16 »
Here is a plate for you, output from builder.swillkb.com :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 13:16:47 »
Here is a plate for you, output from builder.swillkb.com :)

Is the width not 94mm then? This one appears to be 94.49mm; I'm so confused but this is helpful.

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 13:36:40 »
Where are you sourcing your acrylic? I'm surprised you can get a chunk that big for under 50 dollars.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 17:42:07 »
Where are you sourcing your acrylic? I'm surprised you can get a chunk that big for under 50 dollars.

In the UK, 25mm clear perspex.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 18:12:36 »
Day 4:

Version 1 is complete!

I don't have any immediate changes that I want to make but I may consider things like curving the edges. I probably will have to change the size and placement of the USB port to make it universal but I think it will do for now. I'm still wary of the standoffs probably being incorrect but they are directly in the same position as the CAD file jdcarpe kindly provided. Overall size of the uncut block I'll require is 292.000293 x 100.780545 x 25mm (WxLxH) and I've left 0.5mm on each side of the plate as a margin. Any feedback, positive or negative I'll take, as it is a personal project but I want everyone's opinions on it.

Here are the pictures:

« Last Edit: Sun, 13 December 2015, 17:54:24 by xondat »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 18:28:37 »
It looks awesome, are you considering to get a prototype manufactured?

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 19:49:21 »
Version 1 is complete!

I don't have any immediate changes that I want to make but I may consider things like curving the edges. I probably will have to change the size and placement of the USB port to make it universal but I think it will do for now. I'm still wary of the standoffs probably being incorrect but they are directly in the same position as the CAD file jdcarpe kindly provided. Overall size of the uncut block I'll require is 292.000293 x 100.780545 x 25mm (WxLxH) and I've left 0.5mm on each side of the plate as a margin. Any feedback, positive or negative I'll take, as it is a personal project but I want everyone's opinions on it.

Here are the pictures:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It's looking fabulous and assuming compatibility with the V60, a frosted acrylic or anodized aluminum version of this case would perfectly fit my needs. :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 03:07:27 »
It looks awesome, are you considering to get a prototype manufactured?

Absolutely. If there are enough people interested I will produce final versions after I am happy with how the prototype turns out.

It's looking fabulous and assuming compatibility with the V60, a frosted acrylic or anodized aluminum version of this case would perfectly fit my needs. :thumb:

It is using the universal plate that jdcarpe and leandren sell so if that's compatible then yes it is. Do you think you could provide me with the measurements for the V60's standoffs? I can check that way too ans it would be good to know.

I'm currently being quoted for clear acrylic, frosted acrylic and aluminum.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 04:55:03 »

It is using the universal plate that jdcarpe and leandren sell so if that's compatible then yes it is. Do you think you could provide me with the measurements for the V60's standoffs? I can check that way too ans it would be good to know.

I'm currently being quoted for clear acrylic, frosted acrylic and aluminum.

It's very exciting to hear that you're already being quoted for the case in such materials, this is a very cool project and I can't wait to see the first prototype!

I believe I can provide you with the measurements, but it would take a couple of days to get an answer because I'm gonna ask other owners and different people. Unfortunately I don't have the required tools right now with me, but I will do my best to gather the information from different sources. If the plate is universal, than its gonna work but I'll try to confirm the exact V60 numbers. I speak with LeandreN very frequently so it shouldn't be a problem. I will also consult other V60 owners and Massdrop too. Can you check with JD?

Offline p1114501510

• 尴尬癌晚期患者
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 06:21:24 »
It looks very cool, and maybe I can provide some measurement. So just PM me when you need some help.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Single Piece 60% Case
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 16:41:01 »
Day 5:

Nothing much today, raised the standoffs 0.5mm as suggested by JD and got a quote for 6082 gray aluminium! Very expensive; looking at £450 ($680) each for 20 - I think I'll do acrylic first. The acrylic quotes should be finalized by Friday, but still have yet to get a response so we'll see. I'm hoping it isn't too bad like the aluminium.

But for now, I can look at sourcing some M2 4mm (0.4 pitch) clear screws, this might take a while and will have to order a lot more than what I need but whatever.

-----

It looks very cool, and maybe I can provide some measurement. So just PM me when you need some help.
I need as many as I can because I'm paranoid I'll get it wrong, PM me when you have time!

It's very exciting to hear that you're already being quoted for the case in such materials, this is a very cool project and I can't wait to see the first prototype!

I believe I can provide you with the measurements, but it would take a couple of days to get an answer because I'm gonna ask other owners and different people. Unfortunately I don't have the required tools right now with me, but I will do my best to gather the information from different sources. If the plate is universal, than its gonna work but I'll try to confirm the exact V60 numbers. I speak with LeandreN very frequently so it shouldn't be a problem. I will also consult other V60 owners and Massdrop too. Can you check with JD?
I'm most likely ordering Friday so if I get them by then it's fine, if not then it's okay because the first one is a prototype. JD actually linked me the plate that I modelled around in the screenshot, so everything fits in that department.

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 18:20:04 »
Xondat, you mentioned a very high cost for aluminum.  I wonder if it is possible to do cast aluminum instead of CNC, that might cost much less.  The raw aluminum itself is inexpensive.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 18:22:37 »
Xondat, you mentioned a very high cost for aluminum.  I wonder if it is possible to do cast aluminum instead of CNC, that might cost much less.  The raw aluminum itself is inexpensive.

The mold for die casting is not cheap though.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 18:35:54 »
I shall investigate.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 18:44:57 »
You can use this tool to estimate the cost of the mold.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 19:11:23 »
hey look!
its ducks case design!

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 12:18:08 »
hey look!
its ducks case design!
Maybe you can expand and show me how they're similar? I'm always taking feedback so as long as there's evidence behind it then I'll alter it accordingly, BUT it is a personal project for now and also acrylic and not the same material as he used.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 12:28:00 »
hey look!
its ducks case design!

That's why I love aluminum!

However, xandot's current prices for CNC aluminum are indeed extreme. Until he finds an alternative for aluminum case manufacturing I think it's clever to focus on acrylic. As a bit on an update, I'm currently doing my research with V60 owners and I expect to hopefully have a solid answer by the end of the week. Also, In a couple of weeks I'll be able to visit a few local CNC aluminum/acrylic companies to get quotes. Since I'm from Brazil, perhaps it could be a cheaper option since US$1 = R$4, but I need a spreadsheet with the measurements before my visits.   

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 08:58:37 »
Tuesday Update:

Great news for V60 users, as yesterday I had the chance to compare standoffs and measurements with multiple people. It turns out that the KBParadise V60 Mini (with Cherry MX or Gateron switches) has 4 screwing holes positioned in the exact same place as 4 (out of the 6 total screws) from the Poker II. I'll attach some pictures for reference below.

Poker II:

KBParadise V60 (Cherry MX or Gateron switches):

Current case prototype:

As you can see, it's completely possible to use custom plates (LeandreN/JD) and cases, given the standoffs positioning. One important thing to note is that the same does not apply to the KBParadise V60 Mini with Matias switches. Such version doesn't have holes in the plate and you'll have to mod it a little bit in order to make a custom case fit. Check this guide right here, in case you have a V60 Mini with Matias switches and want a custom case.

For now that's pretty much it, as I'm currently standing by for the exact standoff numbers. I'll most likely take the numbers provided here and move forward because LivingSpeedBump has been very busy lately and I don't think he'll be able to deliver before xondat's deadline (Friday, December 18 - 2015). In a couple of weeks I'll begin to visit some CNC aluminum and acrylic companies here in Brazil in the hopes of perhaps offering a cheaper aluminum version for the buy. 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 09:09:03 »
Acrylic would be more expensive than aluminum? Really? Why TEX cases are the opposite? The same design is always cheaper in acrylic.

Offline E3E

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 09:27:10 »
hey look!
its ducks case design!

It also looks similar to the FMJ 60% cases

I should note that I don't see anything wrong with this. It's one of the best ways to allow a good grip on a heavy keyboard. Duck also puts dual purpose in the design by allowing LEDs to shine through that area, for which he also has custom inserts to allow the light to glow through.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 December 2015, 09:29:08 by E3E »

Offline lolpes

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 10:22:11 »
Acrylic would be more expensive than aluminum? Really? Why TEX cases are the opposite? The same design is always cheaper in acrylic.

I think he meant a cheaper aluminum case compared to the previous estimates, not to the acrylic ones ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 10:35:54 »

I think he meant a cheaper aluminum case compared to the previous estimates, not to the acrylic ones ;)

It makes sense.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 11:00:25 »
This looks good! I'm working on a one piece case myself.

This does remind me of Ducks cases(not a bad thing, I love my Octagon). The difference with this one is the front and rear edges are vertical where Ducks(and almost every other case) are angled. IE The top angles of the case are set to 90deg and the bottom of the case is where the tilt happens.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 13:47:36 »

It makes sense.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Unfortunately xandot's current quotes for CNC aluminum are extremely steep and I'm trying to find a cheaper manufacturer here in Brazil. Xandot is looking on UK.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 16:09:23 »
Day 7:

Tuesday Update:

Great news for V60 users, as yesterday I had the chance to compare standoffs and measurements with multiple people. It turns out that the KBParadise V60 Mini (with Cherry MX or Gateron switches) has 4 screwing holes positioned in the exact same place as 4 (out of the 6 total screws) from the Poker II. I'll attach some pictures for reference below.

More
Poker II:

Show Image

Show Image

Current case prototype:

Show Image

As you can see, it's completely possible to use custom plates (LeandreN/JD) and cases, given the standoffs positioning. One important thing to note is that the same does not apply to the KBParadise V60 Mini with Matias switches. Such version doesn't have holes in the plate and you'll have to mod it a little bit in order to make a custom case fit. Check this guide right here, in case you have a V60 Mini with Matias switches and want a custom case.

For now that's pretty much it, as I'm currently standing by for the exact standoff numbers. I'll most likely take the numbers provided here and move forward because LivingSpeedBump has been very busy lately and I don't think he'll be able to deliver before xondat's deadline (Friday, December 18 - 2015). In a couple of weeks I'll begin to visit some CNC aluminum and acrylic companies here in Brazil in the hopes of perhaps offering a cheaper aluminum version for the buy.

MiTo - the man of the hour. Thanks so much for this detail overview and research. :-*

It makes sense.

I'm confused on how you came to this conclusion; I think I meant I'll focus on acrylic instead of aluminium because of the massive starting price.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Unfortunately xandot's current quotes for CNC aluminum are extremely steep and I'm trying to find a cheaper manufacturer here in Brazil. Xandot is looking on UK.

Xondat not xandot ;) Speaking of cheaper manufacturers, good news follows below.

---------

Today I got my 2nd quote back for aluminium - IT'S GREAT NEWS! It's 220 ea for 25 made and 210 ea for 50! Compared to the previous quote of 450 ea for 20. I might consider involving aluminium if I run a group buy, which I really want to now. Prices however are not final due to shipping and fees, if I were to sell them. If they are still too high, I may be able to hustle them down a bit more.

I will now pursue acrylic prices for clear and frosted. But due to me having no idea how to use any program that makes STL, STEP, IGS or PARASOLID the companies are having some trouble. If anyone can help me here, then I'll pay you as long as it's identical, PM me so we can work something out.

No design changes over the past couple of days, and none are needed because of MiTo being extremely kind and helpful, providing me with a mass of detail. :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 16:25:24 »
Day 7:

Tuesday Update:

More
Poker II:

Show Image

Show Image

Current case prototype:

Show Image

MiTo - the man of the hour. Thanks so much for this detail overview and research. :-*

It makes sense.

I'm confused on how you came to this conclusion; I think I meant I'll focus on acrylic instead of aluminium because of the massive starting price.

Xondat not xandot ;) Speaking of cheaper manufacturers, good news follows below.

---------

Today I got my 2nd quote back for aluminium - IT'S GREAT NEWS! It's 220 ea for 25 made and 210 ea for 50! Compared to the previous quote of 450 ea for 20. I might consider involving aluminium if I run a group buy, which I really want to now. Prices however are not final due to shipping and fees, if I were to sell them. If they are still too high, I may be able to hustle them down a bit more.

I will now pursue acrylic prices for clear and frosted. But due to me having no idea how to use any program that makes STL, STEP, IGS or PARASOLID the companies are having some trouble. If anyone can help me here, then I'll pay you as long as it's identical, PM me so we can work something out.

No design changes over the past couple of days, and none are needed because of MiTo being extremely kind and helpful, providing me with a mass of detail. :thumb:

Would def be in for a frosted one.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 16:39:45 »

No design changes over the past couple of days, and none are needed because of MiTo being extremely kind and helpful, providing me with a mass of detail.  :thumb:

I wouldn't be able to make such a detailed research without the help of LeandreN so a big shoutout to the man. Also, I promise to never confuse your ID anymore.

Regarding aluminum, I find fantastic that you managed to cut the price by half, that's an exciting start indeed. What are the aluminuim specs for the $210/50 version? Do you think you could provide colored anodized? I believe some people would be super hyped about this possibility. Obviously, the smart thing to do here is to chop down the prices as much as you possibly can without compromising quality, finish and looks, to attract buyers. I'd recomend you to see what else you can do in this department. As I stated before, I'll be able to make some visits and ask for quotes in a couple of weeks. I'll try my best to gather as much infomartion as possible, for both acrylic and aluminum. Let's see how it pans out.

Regarding the design, the manufacturer can't work with standard CAD files?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 16:45:16 »

No design changes over the past couple of days, and none are needed because of MiTo being extremely kind and helpful, providing me with a mass of detail.  :thumb:

I wouldn't be able to make such a detailed research without the help of LeandreN so a big shoutout to the man. Also, I promise to never confuse your ID anymore.

Regarding aluminum, I find fantastic that you managed to cut the price by half, that's an exciting start indeed. What are the aluminuim specs for the $210/50 version? Do you think you could provide colored anodized? I believe some people would be super hyped about this possibility. Obviously, the smart thing to do here is to chop down the prices as much as you possibly can without compromising quality, finish and looks, to attract buyers. I'd recomend you to see what else you can do in this department. As I stated before, I'll be able to make some visits and ask for quotes in a couple of weeks. I'll try my best to gather as much infomartion as possible, for both acrylic and aluminum. Let's see how it pans out.

Regarding the design, the manufacturer can't work with standard CAD files?

It's 6061 grade and anodization is in the price as far as I am aware - the exact quote is "xt60cv1-1 Aluminium 6061 - Anodised". I'll ask about quality.

I used SketchUp and it doesn't export to anything usable by most companies apart from STL, which is a bit dodgy for the.

S/O to LeandreN too ;D

Would def be in for a frosted one.

I should have the quotes and prototypes done by the end of this year. IC early January if it gets that far.

Offline Frigid

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 20:41:38 »
If this case becomes as beautiful as the renders, my wallet is about to hurt.

Offline ika

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 22:54:39 »
Definitely interested, but... blah 60%  :-\
there's already so many good options for 60%, the other sizes, notably 75% and TKL, need some more love!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 03:05:04 »
there's already so many good options for 60%, the other sizes, notably 75% and TKL, need some more love!
Yeah I know the market essentially has too many 60%; I did this because I ordered a carbon fibre plate and want to show that and the PCB off. I might make a case for either a TKL or a 75% (using the B.mini PCB).

Offline E3E

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 06:46:58 »

This is very true.

Some aftermarket 75% cases and PCBs would rock my world.  I think skullydazed can help provide the latter once his Clueboard shop is up and running full steam. :D

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 06:58:51 »
Added a poll; I'm not sure whether I should implement rounded corners into the design instead of sharp cut edges. I'd love to know everyone's opinion on this.

http://strawpoll.me/6282126
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2015, 07:01:04 by xondat »

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 07:00:54 »

rounded corners into the design instead of sharp cut edges.

WhiteFox style?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 07:02:44 »

rounded corners into the design instead of sharp cut edges.

WhiteFox style?

Sort of, more subtle. Its really so I don't stab myself when I pick it up.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 07:12:05 »
Sort of, more subtle. Its really so I don't stab myself when I pick it up.

That's actually a good idea.

A bit of an input - I don't think a WhiteFox styled round corner would combo well with acrylic, I mean it's gonna work for sure with aluminum but not with acrylic.

I believe that very subtle corners for both versions is a feature good enough to make them look and feel great. Not completely rough and sharp and also not completely rounded. To be honest, I'd rather have these cases with "sanded" corners (obviously not sanded with sandpaper, I'm speaking about the manufacturer's finish technique).