Author Topic: Fujitsu Peerless  (Read 4870 times)

Offline Findecanor

• Trade Count: (0)
Fujitsu Peerless
« on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 18:21:46 »
I would like to buy one to try it out. Vertical Enter key, please. Preferably from Europe.

Thanks.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Fujitsu Peerless
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 09:59:53 »
I've got one you can have for free, as long as you pay the postage.  It's real heavy though.  Postage is likely to around £30....

To be fair, it's not worth £30.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline SuperPunch

Fujitsu Peerless
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 10:22:15 »
He speaks the truth. I recently threw one in the trash.

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

Fujitsu Peerless
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 11:03:32 »
Quote from: SuperPunch;261343
He speaks the truth. I recently threw one in the trash.

:mad2:

Most of the Fujitsu Peerless keyboards I have tried have been excellent, with one minor flaw that can be easily fixed: the sticky left shift key.  Out of the 12 Fujitsu keyboards I've tried, 9 of them have been excellent, and 3 of them have been horrible.  I would offer one of mine, but shipping would be killer.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING

Offline SuperPunch

Fujitsu Peerless
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 11:36:17 »
Quote from: 8_INCH_FLOPPY;261356
:mad2:

Most of the Fujitsu Peerless keyboards I have tried have been excellent, with one minor flaw that can be easily fixed: the sticky left shift key.  Out of the 12 Fujitsu keyboards I've tried, 9 of them have been excellent, and 3 of them have been horrible.  I would offer one of mine, but shipping would be killer.

That's true, to be fair i've only used an fkb-4700 but it was unuseable for me.  I can understand wanting to try a new switch.

Offline Findecanor

Fujitsu Peerless
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 17:34:01 »
Quote from: hoggy;261325
I've got one you can have for free, as long as you pay the postage.  It's real heavy though.  Postage is likely to around £30....

To be fair, it's not worth £30.
Much thanks! Do you mean this one? (that I found in another thread)

The left Shift key is not as wide in this layout as on a US keyboard and I don't use the right Shift key that much.
I just hope that the Enter and Backspace keys won't feel too weird.

There is a force curve here that looks very much like the one for a buckling spring but slightly lighter.
From what I understand, it should have a sharp clicky feel to the stroke, but still be quite silent. There should also be a slight cushioning when you bottom out, but still be distinct and not at all mushy. All of these things are properties that I look for in a keyboard.

The regular keys don't have too much friction when you press them off-centre, do they?
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 December 2010, 17:39:18 by Findecanor »

Offline wanabe

Fujitsu Peerless
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 18:54:33 »
i have the FKB4700...besides the fact that the shift, backspace, and enter keys tend to be sticky, it's a fine switch.  I wouldn't mind it at all if they had a better way to stabilize the larger keys

Offline wanabe

Fujitsu Peerless
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 18:55:54 »
i think they sound really cool too

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Fujitsu Peerless
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 00:32:40 »
Quote from: Findecanor;261473
Much thanks! Do you mean this one? (that I found in another thread)
Show Image

The left Shift key is not as wide in this layout as on a US keyboard and I don't use the right Shift key that much.
I just hope that the Enter and Backspace keys won't feel too weird.

There is a force curve here that looks very much like the one for a buckling spring but slightly lighter.
From what I understand, it should have a sharp clicky feel to the stroke, but still be quite silent. There should also be a slight cushioning when you bottom out, but still be distinct and not at all mushy. All of these things are properties that I look for in a keyboard.

The regular keys don't have too much friction when you press them off-centre, do they?

That's the one.  Certainly has some sort of tactical bump and a satisifying clicky sourd.  The keys do feel as if there's more friction if hit off centre - but if you were using the keyboard full time, I'd guess you get more accurate with the finger placement.

As to the keyboard (I'm using it now to test it out) - not all of the keys feel even - the s key seems to need a little bit more force than the j - but there isn't much in it.  The backspace and enter keys feel fine.

Are you really sure you want it?  It's got an AT connector and the legs are missing. It's a little bit dirty, but I've paid for much worse.  I prefer to type on my laptop's keyboard than this thing.

Actually, I've just tested with aquakeytest (I don't believe in sending out keyboards without testing all the keys), if you press the keys with just the one finger (think hunt and peck), the keys feel much nicer.  Makes me wonder about the datalux I've got sitting in a box...

You are very welcome to it, but I'd feel a little guilty if you spent that much and didn't like it...  I've had it a while, I'm more than happy to hold on to it for a while for you if you wanted to search a bit more first.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Findecanor

Fujitsu Peerless
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 04:14:19 »
Quote from: hoggy;261601
You are very welcome to it, but I'd feel a little guilty if you spent that much and didn't like it...  I've had it a while, I'm more than happy to hold on to it for a while for you if you wanted to search a bit more first.

Thanks. I think that I will wait with buying a Peerless for a while, if ever.

Hmm.. Friction. It looks like a lot of plastic surface rubbing against surface. Both the slider and the internal plunger.
I want to search around a bit more first, and see if I could go and modify a better, cheaper, rubber dome keyboard with some cheap springs.

Thanks guys for your help!
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 December 2010, 04:27:35 by Findecanor »

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

Fujitsu Peerless
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 22:15:24 »
I would not describe them as having excessive friction.  All of mine, except for one, feel very smooth.  When I say smooth, I mean smoother than all alps, but not quite as smooth as black cherries.  The smooth quality one of things I like about them.  If you are having problems with the stabilizers on some of the larger keys, try sanding down the edge of stabizers and the will not rub as much.  Also, put some lubrication on the stabilizers.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

HAPPY HUNTING