Author Topic: Hello, GH!  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Vague

Hello, GH!
« on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:54:35 »
It's too late for my wallet.

I've owned a few mechs, but I have yet to try a lot of switches and customization. So far, I've used:

IBM Model M 71G4644 (rubber dome from 1995)
daskeyboard 3 (mx blues)
CM Storm QFR-i (mx browns) - Didn't get much use out of its backlighting, it's now fitted with a Ducky PBT blue/grey set
Pok3r (mx browns) - Splurged on Dolch DSA on the recent return to pimpmykeyboard and wanted a nice 60% to go with

Now I'm awaiting the arrival of my first Topre experience, a Realforce 87u, 55g uniform. Hopefully I find it as enjoyable as some others have expressed, although I have read an equal amount of hate towards Topre. I'll have to judge it for myself.

..I've already placed an order for one of martinyeah's 70's colors three-tone caps, to put on my Realforce, and it's not even here yet!  :eek:

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:56:48 by Vague »

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
Re: Hello, GH!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 18:41:59 »
Welcome! The disease is real. If you end up enjoying the RF87U you might as well throw away the wallet, you'll never need it to store money again.

:D
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 22:26:52 »
Hello, that is quite the assortment. I'm starting to believe people when they tell me to go straight to Topre!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 07:59:19 »
Topre is love. Spread the love. It feels really good, the thock sounds amazing, the boards are solid. HHKB and/or Realforce 87U.

The only worry you have is whether you want black or white.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline kinetic

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 09:29:46 »

You will eventually end up with both.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 09:43:33 »

True story. I already have black and white HHKBs.. Only thing remaining now is a white 87U. My wallet hates me.

Offline kinetic

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 23:12:57 »

True story. I already have black and white HHKBs.. Only thing remaining now is a white 87U. My wallet hates me.

I got the 87U in black and white so we're covered :) . If I could do it again,  I would get the 10th AE edition instead of the white.  Maybe that will be your next purchase? Hehe.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 06:14:01 »

I got the 87U in black and white so we're covered :) . If I could do it again,  I would get the 10th AE edition instead of the white.  Maybe that will be your next purchase? Hehe.

Nice.. 10th AE.. that one comes with blue and grey caps right? And variable weighting?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 03:53:52 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The only keyboard you'll probably want after the RF is an HHKB ;)

Or a real buckling spring keyboard.

The more keyboards the better - one for every occasion :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ