Author Topic: Maybe Alps is going out  (Read 15640 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« on: Fri, 16 November 2007, 02:30:53 »
It looks like CVT is out of stock on the Avant Prime. This could be a bad sign for lovers of the Alps switches like me.

https://www.cvtinc.com/order.htm

If Alps isn't making keyboard switches anymore, this is proof that there is a god and SHE hates me.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Re: Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 November 2007, 08:13:41 »
Quote from: xsphat
It looks like CVT is out of stock on the Avant Prime. This could be a bad sign for lovers of the Alps switches like me.

Haven't they been out for a while now?

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 00:53:29 »
It feels like they've been out of the Prime forever. It was out of stock when I ordered my Stellar early this year, and I'm not sure if it ever went back in stock since that time. The Stellar has usually been available, though. This is the first time I've seen them both out of stock.

Anyway, I called the number on that order page, and spoke with a friendly guy named Jim, I think. He said their best guess was that they were three weeks out from getting fresh batches of both the Prime and the Stellar. I asked if they would continue to use Alps switches, and he reassured me that they would stay with mechanical switches.

I realized later that his phrasing left them an out to change from Alps to another line of mechanical switches, but I didn't press him on it. I think he merely wanted to extol the virtues of mechanical switches over membranes. Besides, if the Avants stop shipping with Alps key switches, they'd be betraying their Northgate Omnikey legacy. And I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. At least I hope not.

I noted that the web site said that the Steller was "now shipping in black" and asked him when they had changed colors. He said this new upcoming batch would be the first black Stellars. A decision of their marketing people, he said. He asked how I felt about the change, and I said I acutually preferred the all black scheme. (I didn't mention that I appreciated black all the more after spending two days with the hideous two-tone silver and black of the SMK-85.)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 03:07:21 »
Watch, they'll use the new quiet Cherry black switches.

I'm glad you called them and I am glad they seem to be getting more. No offense, but I really don't like the Steller. I couldn't justify paying another $50 for an extra row of function keys I don't use (Mac guy). I would buy the Prime though. What I am thinking about doing is buying one of those ugly two-tone 85s and I'll put my black case on the one with the better switches.

But then again, I am digging on the Model M right now, so who really knows what's going on in my head.

Offline iMav

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 03:27:09 »
But then again, I am digging on the Model M right now, so who really knows what's going on in my head.

Model M's are very nice.  Although I've been enjoying re-acquainting myself with my HHKB Pro.  

I am also liking the Endurapro I picked up from Unicomp.  Gets me excited about the new Mighty Mouse they are supposed to be coming out with next year.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 04:21:58 »
How are the new buckling springs compared to the old? I've heard different opinions, but I think we think similarly about this sort of thing.

Offline iMav

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 04:25:25 »
How are the new buckling springs compared to the old? I've heard different opinions, but I think we think similarly about this sort of thing.

As far as I'm concerned, the Endurapro can be called a Model M.  Feels exactly the same to me.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 05:19:07 »
Watch, they'll use the new quiet Cherry black switches.
That would be a sure sign of the Apocalypse

What I am thinking about doing is buying one of those ugly two-tone 85s and I'll put my black case on the one with the better switches.
You might be interested in this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200174465405&

It's not clear what kind of switches these silver & grey SMK-85's have: black Alps, white Alps, Strongman, who knows.

I'm still rotating keyboards. Not good for my typing speed. There's an adjustment period each time I switch, where I keep striking the wrong keys and my fingers get tentative, before I get comfortable and get into a good rhythm.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 05:45:17 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet

It's not clear what kind of switches these silver & grey SMK-85's have: black Alps, white Alps, Strongman, who knows.

My guess would be old stock with these specs:

http://www.notestation.com/specs_smk85a.htm

But again, I don't know whether this means white Alps sliders or black ones. And BTW, on the ergocanada.com web site, what the hell are the "Mechanical Linear ALPS Switches"  (also referred to as "Alps Low Audible Linear" on the same site) that they say are on the PS/2 version of the SMK-85 that they sell?

Offline iMav

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 06:07:13 »

You could always ask them.  ;)

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 06:10:04 »
I believe this company used to be all-Alps. Seeing how recently they had "stock problems" and apparently switched manufacturer, they are probably Cherry by now.

http://datadesktech.com/desktop_base.html

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 06:14:13 »
Quote from: iMav

Yeah, I could. But I once emailed DSI asking about old stock SMK-85's. And they never responded. So I'm hesitant.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 06:42:31 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o
I believe this company used to be all-Alps. Seeing how recently they had "stock problems" and apparently switched manufacturer, they are probably Cherry by now.

http://datadesktech.com/desktop_base.html

I was wondering when Datadesk would come up in this forum. So what do we think about them and their boards? I was put off after coming across this review of the Lil'Big Board from a Model M fanboy a few months ago:

http://www.3m3718.com/lilbigboard.php

but I really don't know anything about them.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 11:47:13 »

Nice find, I have been looking for one in that color scheme for a while. I was even thinking about emailing Karl to ask if they could sell me a set of those ivory keys. I think those would look great on my black case. Good find, but they only have 3 availible so I'll most likely miss out (I'm Po' Folk right now).

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 12:14:57 »
I'm still rotating keyboards. Not good for my typing speed. There's an adjustment period each time I switch, where I keep striking the wrong keys and my fingers get tentative, before I get comfortable and get into a good rhythm.

I think people like us will switch between keyboards for some time to come. I was on the M for the last few days, and I just got out the 85 again. Both are good 'boards, and I like them both, so why shouldn't I use them both? This is my thinking on it.

And as a writer, the M gives me this feeling of authority and an old school tinge shows my fiction, like Sam Spade comes out of me. I write good noir on it. The 85 is great for general writing and modern styles. Truth be told, I have done some of my best work on the 85 (my current job and college played a big part in that, this 'board is nice but it isn't magical).

You may think I'm nuts or going to far, but artists I talk to agree with this. Different brands of brushes give them different "moods," which is reflected in their work. Same thing.

Offline iMav

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 12:53:27 »
I dislike the big "reverse L" return/enter keys...so both the SMK85 and the "LilBig board" turn me off.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 13:10:55 »
Sucks to be you then, 'cause they seem to be a standard on Alps keyboards. I can't recall a single one with a normal return key.

Offline iMav

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 13:59:18 »
Sucks to be you then,

I guess ignorance really IS bliss.  ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 14:16:26 »
What ignorance? This is known, so ignorance doesn't apply.

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 November 2007, 06:35:54 »
I believe this one is still Alps (the price may mean not for long):

http://www.notestation.com/bigfont.htm

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 18 November 2007, 06:49:21 »
Anyone know anything about this one?

http://store.shentech.com/kb6600abudh.html

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 November 2007, 11:58:49 »
I've seen that one around the net, but I have no idea what kind of switches it has. That return key could mean it has Alps, but I have a feeling, by the price, that it has Cherrys.

Offline iMav

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 20 November 2007, 14:12:01 »

Yeah, I could. But I once emailed DSI asking about old stock SMK-85's. And they never responded. So I'm hesitant.

Dear mavherzog,

Audible click feel (white-colored sliders)

Justin
DSI

Offline iMav

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 20 November 2007, 21:49:55 »
Audible click feel (white-colored sliders)

In reference to THESE SMK-85's currently available on Ebay.  

White alps sliders.  That's the cream of the crop.  I would be very surprised if one of you guys don't jump on these.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 20 November 2007, 23:27:34 »
I would if I could afford it.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 20 November 2007, 23:34:40 »
Hey, I heard from Justin today too. He replied to my email sent through the eBay "Ask seller a question" feature. And this is what he wrote about the keyswitches on those SMK-85's currently listed on eBay:

Alps compatible switch from Strongman. They are black with white-colored
sliders

(But I never did hear back from my email sent a few weeks back to , to Karl's attention, asking about the availability of old stock all black SMK-85's with black Alps sliders.)

Offline victheslik

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 20 November 2007, 23:55:31 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 21:53:45 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 21 November 2007, 00:14:32 »
It seems the white sliders are the cream of the Alps crop. by that rational, they are most likely louder and better feeling than my black Alps.

I also have one board with pink and one board with orange Alps sliders, and the pink have the lightest touch, the oranges feel the same as the blacks but neither have the audible click.  You're guess what exactly the whites feel like, but I'm dying to find out.

But one thing is for sure, they will be loud. Alps switches are not renowned for being subtle.

Offline victheslik

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 21 November 2007, 01:03:48 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 21:53:49 by victheslik »
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 21 November 2007, 01:12:08 »
Quote from: victheslik
argh decisions decisions...

-victor

I feel your pain, man, I really do.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 21 November 2007, 01:26:31 »
So you are 100% sure these are the "fabeled" white alp switches?
See my post above. Justin wrote me that they were Alps-compatible Strongman switches. If they're the high-audible Strongmans that the most recent SMK-85's have shipped with, then they may be even louder than the white Alps sliders. But I think of the Strongman switches as shipping with the USB versions of the SMK-85. What's on sale on eBay is the PS/2 version, so I don't know.

There is also a brand new unused IBM model M keyboard on ebay i put that on my watch list because I cannot decide between the Model M (never tried it so i would like to know what it feels like), or the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2... argh decisions decisions...
Hey, that's on my watch list too. But the seller doesn't give a model number. Probably a 1391401. But he should've included a photo of the bottom sticker, the "birth certificate," so to speak.

Offline victheslik

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 21 November 2007, 01:34:06 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 21:53:54 by victheslik »

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 21 November 2007, 02:00:21 »
Errr... I am a bit confused so they aren't the White Alp switches they are "strong man switches"....? Please elaborate I'm sorry if I sound ignorant I don't quite understand what you are tyring to say/get at.

See this:

http://www.ergocanada.com/products/keyboards/dsi_smk85_compact.html

and this:

http://www.ergocanada.com/ergo/keyboards/mechanical_vs_membrane_keyswitches.html

SMK-85's used to come with Alps sliders. xsphat has a black SMK-85 with black Alps sliders. I just bought an ugly silver and black SMK-85 with white Alps sliders, the same Alps sliders that are on the Avant Prime and Avant Stellar boards. Then DSI replaced the Alps sliders wtih Strongman switches. The SMK-85 that is listed on the DSI consumer site, http://www.notestation.com, lists Stongman switches in its specs. But it's been out of stock for a while. And from what I gather here from what iMav and xsphat have posted, DSI will be using Cherry switches (the black MX linear ones?) on all its mechanical switch keyboards.

(I got my SMK-85 with white Alps sliders from http://www.ergo-tech.ca, and I have no idea what the "Mechanical Linear ALPS Switches" are that ship with the PS/2 versions of the SMK-85 from http://www.ergocanada.com, becaue the white Alps sliders on my SMK-85 are certainly not linear. They are clicky and tactile.)

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 21 November 2007, 02:16:11 »
My Northgate Evolution has white Alps sliders. They are definitely clicky.

Offline iMav

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 21 November 2007, 08:09:40 »
Errr... I am a bit confused so they aren't the White Alp switches they are "strong man switches"....? Please elaborate I'm sorry if I sound ignorant I don't quite understand what you are tyring to say/get at.

I posted a direct response from the seller (to the question I posed to him via Ebay).  He told me, specifically, that they are the Audible click feel (white-colored sliders).  THAT is straight from the horse's mouth.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 21 November 2007, 08:31:00 »
But what I posted was a direct quote as well, copy-posted from the email I received from Justin after asking a question via eBay to the seller. Straight from the same horse's mouth. Again, what he wrote me was:

Alps compatible switch from Strongman. They are black with white-colored
sliders.

No real conflict between the two responses. In his response to iMav, he said they were "white-colored sliders," just like in his response to me, but he didn't say they were Alps sliders.

Offline iMav

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 21 November 2007, 08:39:38 »
But, in my response he said, "audible click feel".  THAT is promising.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 21 November 2007, 09:29:04 »
Yes, and that's not inconsistent with them being high-audible Strongman switches, which are described thusly at the ergocanada.com site:

High Audible Tactile Keyswitches are feature a much louder 'click' sound, but do not typically require any more force to actuate. An example of a high audible tactile keyswitch is the Strongman Switch.

I mean, I *like* clicky. The louder the better. So these may be the ideal switches for me.

Offline elmomax

SMK 85 Snagged
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 22 November 2007, 21:52:23 »
Coincidentally I was frantically searhing for my current keyboard which is about 4 years old... it was a SIIG mintouch with alps keys in ivory.  I looked high and low and found this website with all the chat about alps keys.  I ran to ebay and bought the two SMK 85s that looked identical to my beloved keyboard.  I do hope it is the same clickety clack keyboard I have grown so attached to.  A question -- is the  SMK 05 in black and silver on the DSI website the same keyboard as my beloved keyboard which does have a PS 2 connection.  I am very confused. All I know is that I cannot imagine a world without this keyboard...LOL .. though everyone at work around me wishes their world did not include my clickey clanking as I type. I love the l shaped enter key... I love everything about this keyboard and love the color since i am of a certain age and do not type with glasses on and black with white font is harder to see than black on ivory keys.  I am glad to learn I am not the only person obsessed with my keyboard.

e

Offline iMav

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 22 November 2007, 22:10:50 »
Welcome to geekhack elmomax!

I actually was going to pick one of those up tonight once the t-day festivities were over, but I guess you beat me to it!  (it wasn't for me...as my disdain for the backwards "L" enter key is well documented here, so I'm not TOO heart broken).  :)

We'd love for you to stick around and post some pics of your new keyboards once you get them.

Offline elmomax

my love of alps
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 22 November 2007, 22:17:04 »
I love the backward L... cannot say why... maybe because I love this keyboard of mine....  I am hoping that the two I just bought on ebay are the exact same keyboards as I will be soooo sad if they are not....  the thought of not having this keyboard is so distressing LOL  the sound and the feel is addictive.

I was also wondering if you can suggest a good travel keyboard with my dell laptop .... I hate typing on those flat keyboards. That was my other wish to find tonite.  Any suggestions. It should feel like my beloved keyboard but maybe with less clank as it really drives everyone crazy around me.  My keyboard is just too heavy to carry around on biz travel.

e

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 22 November 2007, 22:53:41 »
I actually was going to pick one of those up tonight once the t-day festivities were over, but I guess you beat me to it!  (it wasn't for me...as my disdain for the backwards "L" enter key is well documented here, so I'm not TOO heart broken).  :)
Hey, no need to be even a tiny bit heartbroken, iMav. Lookee here. Another batch for sale.

Offline victheslik

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 22 November 2007, 23:00:08 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 21:54:34 by victheslik »

Offline mr_sf_applet

Re: SMK 85 Snagged
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 22 November 2007, 23:00:28 »
Quote from: elmomax
Coincidentally I was frantically searhing for my current keyboard which is about 4 years old... it was a SIIG mintouch with alps keys in ivory.
I knew it! I knew it! The old SIIG  Minitouches had Alps key switches, as confirmed by elmomax. The newer SIIG Minitouch Pluses have conductive rubber membrane type switches, as I discovered to my dismay a couple of weeks ago. See this topic.

BTW, I don't think the SMK-85 is identical to the SIIG Minitouch, but this is based on a comparison of pictures of  the SMK-85 to pictures of the SIIG Minitouch Plus. I don't know if the Minitouch Plus has changed from earlier versions of the Minitouch.

Offline elmomax

never seen such passion about keyboards
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 22 November 2007, 23:16:41 »
I believe i have a SIIG... the keyboard on the back says   strongman electronics... SMK 85E.  When I thought this keyboard might die soon, I went looking for the paperwork on it and found a page in one of my piles of unfiled but need to keep papers  from Computerxs 4 Sure showing the SIIG MINITOUCH.  Not sure if this is a page from my original research searching for a mini keyboard without the damn numbers on the side or something else. I pulled off a key wondering what was underneath after reading all these comments.. it has a black thingy under the key.  IS there anything else I can look for to figure out the pedigree of the keys of this beloved keyboard?

So my question is... what do I own and what have I just bought on EBAY at DSI...  

e

Offline iMav

Re: never seen such passion about keyboards
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 22 November 2007, 23:29:27 »
So my question is... what do I own and what have I just bought on EBAY at DSI...

I do not believe the SIIG MiniTouch ever had the large "reverse L" enter key.  

Looks like you have a SMK-85 and you have just purchased two, additional, SMK-85's.  Enjoy!

Offline mr_sf_applet

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 22 November 2007, 23:33:49 »
I believe i have a SIIG... the keyboard on the back says   strongman electronics... SMK 85E.

I'm sure iMav is correct. You already have an SMK-85. And now you have two replacements. You're all set!

Offline mr_sf_applet

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 22 November 2007, 23:51:20 »
I pulled off a key wondering what was underneath after reading all these comments.. it has a black thingy under the key.  IS there anything else I can look for to figure out the pedigree of the keys of this beloved keyboard?

You know, that "black thingy" may be a black Alps slider. xsphat here has an all-black SMK-85 with black Alps sliders and he thinks it's the best thing he's ever typed on. (Does that "black thingy" look like the 4th picture down in xsphat's review of the SMK-85?) I have an SMK in ugly silver and black with white Alps sliders, and that's a pleasure to type on too.

So far nobody here has both black and white Alps slider keyboards, so a direct comparison has not been made. But it looks like you'll be getting white sliders on your newly purchased SMK-85's (you'll have to verify for us whether they're Alps or Strongman). So you'll be able to make some sort of comparison, at least.

Offline elmomax

slider confusion
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 23 November 2007, 00:06:28 »
I have pulled the key off again and struggled with a magnifying glass and yes... it is a black alps. So the keyboards I have ordered are not the same as my beloved keyboard with black alps sliders....  so sad.  I do hope the new two compare favorably.  

My question then -- what is the difference between white and black alps and how do they comparie with strongman?  All I ever knew is love for this keyboard -- never thought it could not be replaced or I would have bought 20 for a lifetime supply.

e

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 23 November 2007, 01:27:10 »
Cool, another Alps fan here! I love my SMK 85 more than any other keyboard, so me and elmomax sound like we have like tastes.

You said you want a quieter keyboard for work that has a good feel? I work in an office that is open and rather quiet at night, so I have had the same problems. I have a Cherry ML 4100 with Cherry black linear switches that is pretty not bad and not nearly as loud as the Alps 'boards, but the keys aren't full size. The other one I use cost more than some of my cars, but most people on this forum own one or two of them if that tells you anything - the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional. It costs about 280 American, and has only 60 keys, but it is really well designed and quiet as membrane keyboards. The key feel is in between the Alps we have and the Buckling springs of the old IBM Model M, but not quite as good as either of them. Most people here really like them, and I am typing on mine right now.

If you decide to order one, do not buy the Lite model because, as me and Karlito will attest, it sucks to type on. Here is a link for you to look at:

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=346

You can order it in ivory with black letters. They are nice keyboards, just Google it and you'll see what people are saying about it. But buy quick, I have a feeling they aren't going to get any easier to find in the near future ...

And welcome to the one forum in English that will be completely understanding of your keyboard obsession.

Offline fkeidjn

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 02:05:04 »
I don't have the HHKP2 (can't afford it right now), but I do know that they use Fujitsu keyswitches that were used in their older keyboards before they temporarily switched to using rubber-domes.  More details about the keyswitch technology for both old Fujitsu keyboards and the new HHKPs here.

The HHKP Lite uses rubber domes, which is why it's considerably cheaper than the Professional models, and they suck in terms of typing action.

And now that the Alps switches are discontinued, it was a mistake for me to sell two wonderful Northgate keyboards, both which I got on ebay and cleaned, $70 for both (which was both a loss of keyboards and money for me :sad: ). Now I'm trying frantically to look for another Northgate keyboard, or even something that could fit in their place (SGI granite color model for example).
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 02:33:45 »
Quote from: fkeidjn
I don't have the HHKP2 (can't afford it right now), but I do know that they use Fujitsu keyswitches that were used in their older keyboards before they temporarily switched to using rubber-domes.  More details about the keyswitch technology for both old Fujitsu keyboards and the new HHKPs here.

The HHKP Lite uses rubber domes, which is why it's considerably cheaper than the Professional models, and they suck in terms of typing action.

And now that the Alps switches are discontinued, it was a mistake for me to sell two wonderful Northgate keyboards, both which I got on ebay and cleaned, $70 for both (which was both a loss of keyboards and money for me :sad: ). Now I'm trying frantically to look for another Northgate keyboard, or even something that could fit in their place (SGI granite color model for example).

You can get a white alps Northgate board from here: http://c-techsys.com/products.html
It's a beast.

Offline fkeidjn

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 03:03:41 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o
Quote from: fkeidjn

You can get a white alps Northgate board from here: http://c-techsys.com/products.html
It's a beast.

I just checked.  They only have the Northgate Evolution.  Even though the touchpad could be useful for me, I don't like the ergonomic profile.  But thanks for the info anyway!
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline iMav

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 20:28:01 »
Still 5 available.  :)

(and, I'd be willing to bet there is more where those came from.  looks like they are dumping some serious old stock.)

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 23 December 2007, 11:10:26 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet;1071
Anyway, I called the number on that order page, and spoke with a friendly guy named Jim, I think. He said their best guess was that they were three weeks out from getting fresh batches of both the Prime and the Stellar. I asked if they would continue to use Alps switches, and he reassured me that they would stay with mechanical switches.
I was getting a little worried because more than three weeks after I posted the above, they were still out of stock. But I checked www.cvtinc.com a few days ago, and they're selling both Avant boards again. The Stellar is now in black, but there are no photos on the site. A nagging doubt still lingers, though, as to whether they're still using Alps sliders. Maybe someone -- maybe I -- should call their sales department again to verify.

I blow hot and cold on the white Alps sliders on the Avant keyboards. Recently, I've soured on them, because of the same issues Whiskey has with his Northgate Evolution, the wobble and the bottoming out. But then there are times when I love typing on the Stellar, because it's the one keyboard I have that reminds me of typing on a manual typewriter. I wonder if the key feel of these white Alps appeals mostly to older folks who remember what it was like to type on a Remington or Hermes or Underwood. When I'm on the Avant Stellar, I imagine myself in a 1930s newsroom, and I want to don the fedora that's stashed away in the darkest corner of the closet.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 23 December 2007, 11:17:24 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet;2062
When I'm on the Avant Stellar, I imagine myself in a 1930s newsroom, and I want to don the fedora that's stashed away in the darkest corner of the closet.

That's what I like about Alps keyboards.

Offline Bluemercury

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 23 December 2007, 13:06:34 »
Quote from: iMav;1307
Still 5 available.  :)

(and, I'd be willing to bet there is more where those came from.  looks like they are dumping some serious old stock.)

Doesnt say what type of switches it uses.
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 23 December 2007, 14:09:05 »
Quote from: Bluemercury;2064
Doesnt say what type of switches it uses.
You need to check out this thread.

Offline fkeidjn

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 24 December 2007, 02:41:33 »
By the way, isn't the way to tell an Alps switch apart from a Strongman switch is to check the whether or not the switch contains "Alps" imprinted on them and not just some kind of model number?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 24 December 2007, 10:34:19 »
Alps switches have Alps on the top of the switch in raised letters like this:

The other tell is the rectangular slider with grooves on both short sides.

Offline mr_sf_applet

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 27 December 2007, 16:35:30 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet;2062
I was getting a little worried because more than three weeks after I posted the above, they were still out of stock. But I checked www.cvtinc.com a few days ago, and they're selling both Avant boards again. The Stellar is now in black, but there are no photos on the site. A nagging doubt still lingers, though, as to whether they're still using Alps sliders. Maybe someone -- maybe I -- should call their sales department again to verify.

Since nobody else seems to have done it, I emailed cvtinc.com to ask about the keyswitches in the latest batch of Avant keyboards. The office manager emailed back within half an hour saying she did have not a ready response for me, but that she would contact people at the production facility and get back to me with an answer.

Which I will of course pass on to the forum here.

Offline iMav

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 27 December 2007, 21:00:02 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet;2151

Excellent!

Offline fkeidjn

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 27 December 2007, 21:05:15 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet;2151
Since nobody else seems to have done it, I emailed cvtinc.com to ask about the keyswitches in the latest batch of Avant keyboards. The office manager emailed back within half an hour saying she did have not a ready response for me, but that she would contact people at the production facility and get back to me with an answer.

I think they might be using Strongmans or blue Cherries.  It would be nice though if they could create their own keyswitches as superior as the Alps.

Offline puntium

• http://keyboards.kendeeter.com
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 09 January 2008, 21:52:56 »
I remember reading somewhere that the alps switches that the Tactile Pro were no longer in production.. and something about Matias (the company behind the Tactile Pro) buying millions of the last switches.. I think the Tactile Pro 2.0 has some other kind of switch.. they call it the "Matias Mechanical Switch" but my guess is its a rebranding of some other switch. Who knows.
FILCO FKBN87M/EB / Microsoft Natural Elite / HHKB2 Pro
Keyboards blog | Keyboard Reviews (old blog)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 10 January 2008, 21:02:40 »
I've seen the Tactile Pro 2 switches described as "Alps based mechanical switches" meaning...not ALPS, but I don't know what else that means.

You could say that linear black cherries are "based on" the clicky browns or blues but...whatever.

I own a Tactile Pro 2, it catches some criticism, and catches it fairly, but I like it overall as a pure Apple play.  Still trying to get used to my SMK-88 and I keep looking at the lonely TP2 under my desk.  =-D

What can I do to help better identify the TP2 internals?  Anything beyond pull the keycap off and snap a photo?

The keys are very clicky, very tactile, and very WOBBLY.  Not crazy about that wobble.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline fkeidjn

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 11 January 2008, 13:07:39 »
Quote from: ashort;2315
I've seen the Tactile Pro 2 switches described as "Alps based mechanical switches" meaning...not ALPS, but I don't know what else that means.

You could say that linear black cherries are "based on" the clicky browns or blues but...whatever.

I own a Tactile Pro 2, it catches some criticism, and catches it fairly, but I like it overall as a pure Apple play.  Still trying to get used to my SMK-88 and I keep looking at the lonely TP2 under my desk.  =-D

What can I do to help better identify the TP2 internals?  Anything beyond pull the keycap off and snap a photo?

The keys are very clicky, very tactile, and very WOBBLY.  Not crazy about that wobble.

Probably strongman switches

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 11 January 2008, 13:10:02 »
That is my guess.

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 11 January 2008, 18:36:21 »
Quote from: xsphat;2324
That is my guess.

Yep.  I strongly suspect Strongman.

Offline fkeidjn

Maybe Alps is going out
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 12 January 2008, 10:36:57 »
On the Strongman website, the Mac keyboards they make just about look like the Tactile Pro 2 keyboards, which is another reason to say it's made by Strongman.  Their model number starts with SMK-POWER989X.  What's the model number for the Tactile Pro 2?