Author Topic: DSA Retro Set (SHIPPED!)  (Read 1704007 times)

Offline Larken

Re: DSA Retro Set
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 04:38:57 »
already put in my order for some of the kits. I can foresee I'll be changing my order a few more times before the buy ends (to add more keys, not subtract:D). Amazing job on the site, Matt3o.

Don't want to be one of those reporters in the gif, but are there going to be anymore keys added to the groupbuy as this progresses? (crossing my fingers for plum 1x and 1.5x blanks :))
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 04:45:32 »
I would have never expected such a huge success. I was worried of not reaching the 50 tier but the alpha kit reached 231 pieces in 2 days!!!.

This means that we are definitely going to add more meat to the BBQ, but I need samwisekoi release on that, and from the emails I had with him he seems a little worried :) (right samwisekoi?!  ;D)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 05:16:30 »
Man this took off fast, and that order form is slick. Great job all around.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 06:28:19 »
Don't want to be one of those reporters in the gif, but are there going to be anymore keys added to the groupbuy as this progresses? (crossing my fingers for plum 1x and 1.5x blanks :))

Ditto that -- hoping plum color makes a return.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Caaaarrrt

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 06:31:30 »
Order submitted. I hope this sets the standard for future group buys, excellent job Matt3o and samwisekoi.
Metal Grey LZ-GH - 62g Clears | White HHKB Pro2 |KBC Poker - Lubed Reds w/ Plate and Red Imsto case | Duck PokerCM QuickFire Rapid - Blues w/ red case

Offline mikelanding

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 07:45:58 »
Awesome work. Set very high standard for any future GB.
Ordered 2 sets for Ergodox!
HHKB Type-S | Kinesis Advantage | Maltron 3D 2Hand | Ergodox (62g ErgoClear)

Offline jcrouse

Re: Re: DSA Retro Set
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 08:26:47 »
blk are blanks right?
What color are they?
blanks are all coffee/brown.

So, for the ergodox there is really no way to have a two color setup. It really would need to be all coffee. Have you considered plum blanks for this situation?

John

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 08:42:16 »
So, for the ergodox there is really no way to have a two color setup. It really would need to be all coffee. Have you considered plum blanks for this situation?

this has been asked so many times that I added it to the FAQ in the original post :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 08:52:41 »
Matt3o, I just want to thank you for making that "SHIFT LOCK" key a reality. I don't know who requested that for this set, but it's brilliant. I've been wanting a shift lock for so long now, and at least one of my Phantoms/GH60s will have a shift lock key, using an MX Lock switch. So retro. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 08:57:49 »
Matt3o, I just want to thank you for making that "SHIFT LOCK" key a reality. I don't know who requested that for this set, but it's brilliant. I've been wanting a shift lock for so long now, and at least one of my Phantoms/GH60s will have a shift lock key, using an MX Lock switch. So retro. :D

glad you noticed :)
you can't call it "C64 inspired" if you don't have a shift lock key

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 10:21:28 »
Mod extra rearragement

Since 1.75-units and Extra modifiers kits are not receiving much love I'd like to merge and remix them to see if we can reach a decent tier.

What are the keys you'd like to see in the new mod extra kit?

This is my idea:

Code: [Select]
new mod extra
1.75 alt, ctrl, return, tab, shift, backspace
2.0 back space, return

My educated guess (absolutely unconfirmed) for the pricing of such a kit would be
$168
$86
$59
$37
$21

thoughts?

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 10:23:53 »
Especially in light of sam's hesitation, I would be wary of letting this GB come down with Roundfouritis.  Surely a totally new color scheme could be done is a separate GB?  It could even run in parallel, which would avoid confusion and also allow someone else to step up and help sam.

There are no price breaks from SP when you make a change like that, IIRC.
Russ

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 10:28:43 »
Especially in light of sam's hesitation, I would be wary of letting this GB come down with Roundfouritis.  Surely a totally new color scheme could be done is a separate GB?  It could even run in parallel, which would avoid confusion and also allow someone else to step up and help sam.

There are no price breaks from SP when you make a change like that, IIRC.

"white on blue" will most likely end up in Round 2, that will happen sooner than you might think.

Offline regack

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 10:32:46 »
Mod extra rearragement

Since 1.75-units and Extra modifiers kits are not receiving much love I'd like to merge and remix them to see if we can reach a decent tier.

This is my idea:

new mod extra
2.0 back space, return

My educated guess (absolutely unconfirmed) for the pricing of such a kit would be
$168
$86
$59
$37
$21

thoughts?

Maybe you could PM the 6 people who asked for those, and see which pieces they were after?  I don't know...  I would greatly consider it if it came a 2.25 and 2.75 blank in there as well...

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 10:36:54 »
if there's interest for bigger blank mods I can definitely add them

Offline regack

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 10:44:38 »
if there's interest for bigger blank mods I can definitely add them

I wouldn't mind the 2.25 and 2.75 blanks, but probably not more than a couple of each.  I'm not sure about other people, but if they're trying to make completely blank boards, the 2.25 and 2.75 would be handy.   

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 10:51:06 »
my guess would be $17 at 5 and $9 at 10 tiers for 2.25, 2.75. Why they cost more that spacebars is out of my understanding

Offline regack

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:03:09 »
my guess would be $17 at 5 and $9 at 10 tiers for 2.25, 2.75. Why they cost more that spacebars is out of my understanding

It's sort of crazy.  I still don't quite understand why 1.75 Mod and Mod Extra are so pricey.  Those Mod Extra keys are pretty standard, especially the 2.25 Return and 2.75 Shift...

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:05:10 »
i would refrain from adding more kits at this point. collect money, submit the order and go. you can always submit additional orders.

mixing high volume keys with low volume keys (by color, profile and/or mold) is painful for SP from a production standpoint. it's better to submit complex orders as multiple invoices in which the high volume stuff gets submitted paid for and delivered first, and then any weird remainders are put in a separate order with the understanding that they'll be at much higher cost with much longer lead time. that way SP doesn't have to tie delivery of the high volume short lead-time parts with the low volume high lead-time parts and sales can separate the task of pricing same.

further, remember that all this deliberation time is time in which they are planning for production of your invoice (to minimize your order's lead time and telegraph their production schedule) _without getting paid_.

also, don't cheap out on the sorting. for the love of god have them sort a 230 set order.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:08:00 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:12:14 »
It's sort of crazy.  I still don't quite understand why 1.75 Mod and Mod Extra are so pricey.  Those Mod Extra keys are pretty standard, especially the 2.25 Return and 2.75 Shift...

My guess is that they have some sort of aggregated mold for standard keys (so they mold together 1.25, 2.25, and so forth). If you ask them separately the process might be more complicated and expensive.

mixing high volume keys with low volume keys (by color, profile and/or mold) is painful for SP from a production standpoint. it's better to submit complex orders as multiple invoices in which the high volume stuff gets submitted paid for and delivered first, and then any weird remainders are put in a separate order with the understanding that they'll be at much higher cost with much longer lead time. that way SP doesn't have to tie delivery of the high volume short lead-time parts with the low volume high lead-time parts and sales can separate the task of pricing same.

thanks for the very useful info and suggestions!

also, don't cheap out on the sorting. for the love of god have them sort a 230 set order.

are kidding me?! pricing includes sorting! I have no intention of manually sorting all those keys!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:17:12 »

My guess is that they have some sort of aggregated mold for standard keys (so they mold together 1.25, 2.25, and so forth). If you ask them separately the process might be more complicated and expensive.
afaik they don't have aggregated molds. however, molds that are used more often are going to be cheaper, because they will be easier to work into the production schedule.

are kidding me?! pricing includes sorting! I have no intention of manually sorting all those keys!
excellent! totally jazzed about this buy!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:19:56 »
Matt3o would you be my new dad?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:22:28 »
Man, I can't believe how much attention this got. All this time I thought nobody was interested in DSA caps at all. :D
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:26:44 »

LOL :))

and here's the "you made my day" post of the day :)

oh and since we are already near the top tier on all kits, this GB ends sooner than expected :P talking about it with samwisekoi right now
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:33:30 by Matt3o »

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:31:58 »
I best get my ass in gear and get an order in!

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:09:19 »

oh and since we are already near the top tier on all kits, this GB ends sooner than expected :P talking about it with samwisekoi right now

Before the plum modifiers are added?

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:15:44 »
Mod extra rearragement

This is my idea:

new mod extra
2.0 back space, return

$168
$86
$59
$37
$21

thoughts?

Actually, I ordered it just because of the GREEN return 1.75x keycap, I think it's cool enough to have for my weird board. I can use blank keycaps for others ~.~

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:17:20 »
Maybe run a new DSA Retro set quarterly?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:18:18 »

Before the plum modifiers are added?

I'm confident we can have plum blanks. I don't know about mods.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:29:45 »
And plum mods just dropped a tier.

Speaking as another person that's ran a semi popular GB recently, I'm amazed with how streamlined your process has been.  High five
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:31:23 by tjcaustin »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:31:56 »
And plum mods just dropped a tier.

and brown ones reached 75! go go browns! :)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:37:58 »
The "downside" of this is now I may need another keyboard to accommodate these two sets, klaxon's three, and r4's two.

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:39:32 »
Order placed!  I'm going to put them on the phantom i'm building with the wdf125 plate, so I'm hoping my order is correct  :-[

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:41:14 »
There are a lot of DCS 7 unit space bars still on order.  I have a feeling that a lot of people are unaware of the DSA availability.
Russ

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:46:02 »
There are a lot of DCS 7 unit space bars still on order.  I have a feeling that a lot of people are unaware of the DSA availability.

I'm probably going to convert all DCS-7 in DSA-7 at the end of the GB.

PS: Alpha reached the highest tier  :eek:

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #185 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:50:10 »

I'm probably going to convert all DCS-7 in DSA-7 at the end of the GB.

Good idea.  But what about DCS-6?  There are probably a lot of the same there, but some people specifically need the universal one.
Russ

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #186 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:56:18 »
Good idea.  But what about DCS-6?  There are probably a lot of the same there, but some people specifically need the universal one.

DCS-6 and DSA-6 should have different mount points. I'm waiting for specs from SP. DCS should be the one for Cherry g80-something. DSA has symmetric stems.

DCS-6.2 is the Universal SP spacebar (needed for leopold I believe), with 6 mount points and fits almost any keyboard (almost!). DSA 6.2 has only 3 stems, and it should be the "standard" filco one.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:57:55 by Matt3o »

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #187 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 13:01:28 »
Ooops...you are completely right.  Momentarily forgot about the quarter unit difference.  I was referring to the 6.25.  I have a feeling some of the universal buyers would prefer to have the better profile rather than the universal feature.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2013, 13:04:03 by rknize »
Russ

Offline plastboks

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 13:04:48 »
Excellent ordering system. Just submitted a order.  :D

Offline regack

« Reply #189 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 13:10:45 »
C64 Nostalgia is 1 away from another drop.  Poor Mod175 and ModExtra D:

Offline dirge

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 13:54:50 »
C64 Nostalgia is 1 away from another drop.  Poor Mod175 and ModExtra D:

I agree, but the drops only by a fraction.  What this is telling me that 7bit WAS ALWAYS RIGHT!

design a keyboard using nothing but 1unit caps and the sets will cost next to nothing.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #191 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 15:05:11 »
I agree, but the drops only by a fraction.  What this is telling me that 7bit WAS ALWAYS RIGHT!

design a keyboard using nothing but 1unit caps and the sets will cost next to nothing.

Like this?

13413-0
60% Retro Blue with all 1x1 & 6.25 spacebar.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #192 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 15:08:29 »

Like this?

(Attachment Link)

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

Looks good, but your stagger is off.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #193 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 15:21:00 »

Like this?

(Attachment Link)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Yep.  Quick knock-together illustration.  Heck, the ROWS aren't even straight.

If only I had a set of retro blues...

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #194 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 15:28:13 »

Like this?

(Attachment Link)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Yep.  Quick knock-together illustration.  Heck, the ROWS aren't even straight.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Years from now when people who ordered SPH keys from R4 have passed, you should be able to find them in estate sales.
Russ

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #195 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:28:51 »

I want them as much as you do :) Just wait for Retro Blue Edition :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #196 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:33:17 »
I have specs for all the spacebars!

Choose wisely.

• 6 units DSA: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 40mm from center. This is a very peculiar spacebar, suitable for custom keyboards only.
  • 6.2 units DSA: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 50mm from center. This has the standard Filco and the like mounting position.
  • 7 units DSA: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 57mm from center. This is mainly for winkeyless.
  • 6 units DCS: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 38mm from center. No clue what this is about
  • 6.2 units Universal DCS: This is the universal Signature Plastics 6 mount points space bar. This should fit most of the keyboards out there
  • 7 units DCS: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 57mm from center. There's no reason to get this spacebar anymore being the 7u DSA a perfect alternative.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #197 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:36:01 »

I want them as much as you do :) Just wait for Retro Blue Edition :)

Will the Retro Blue Edition be like the R4 SPH?  All White on Blue (core + mods), or will it be the same set with Coffee and then Blue mods?
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #198 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:46:31 »
Will the Retro Blue Edition be like the R4 SPH?  All White on Blue (core + mods), or will it be the same set with Coffee and then Blue mods?

I was thinking all blue, but now that you mention it... blue and coffee wouldn't be that bad... mmmmmh like smurf-n-coffee set

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #199 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:22:59 »
I have specs for all the spacebars!

Choose wisely.

• 6 units DSA: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 40mm from center. This is a very peculiar spacebar, suitable for custom keyboards only.
  • 6.2 units DSA: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 50mm from center. This has the standard Filco and the like mounting position.
  • 7 units DSA: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 57mm from center. This is mainly for winkeyless.
  • 6 units DCS: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 38mm from center. No clue what this is about
  • 6.2 units Universal DCS: This is the universal Signature Plastics 6 mount points space bar. This should fit most of the keyboards out there
  • 7 units DCS: 3 mount points. 1 centered, 2 at 57mm from center. There's no reason to get this spacebar anymore being the 7u DSA a perfect alternative.

Damn, I chose them all.......I also checked my order again and it's now dropped to $280.64......unbelievable.  Of course you know what that means........need to order more keys.  :p