Author Topic: Best switches for moonlander?  (Read 25371 times)

Offline VimLover

Best switches for moonlander?
« on: Sat, 14 August 2021, 10:53:47 »
The only mechanical keyboard I own is my HHKB, which I love the feel of. I'm looking at the Moonlander, which can be configured with brown/blue cherry, and a lot of kaliah switches. I read that kaliah is a cheap Chinese knock off of cherry which makes me feel like for longevity and consistency I should stick to the cherry. Which one is more ergo friendly for long programming sessions, blue or brown?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: Best switches for moonlander?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 August 2021, 12:39:32 »
I'm thinking about getting the Moonlander with Kailh Speed Silver, since it has been argued they are silent + very smooth. Since I come from Topre (R2), that is exactly what I am looking for. I had MX browns, which to me are just scratchy. I have had MX clears. I like those a lot, but they are also scratchy. Overall, most of my MX boards are scratchy. I don't really like that (perhaps I should lube them).

If the Moonlander had a Topre-option I probably would have bought it already.. I have been driving Topre boards for a couple of years exclusively now. I guess there is a reason I stick with it.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 August 2021, 16:04:58 »
 Cherry is trash. Get a Chinese switch like JWK, tecsee, or Gazzew.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 02:49:50 »

Care to explain?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 05:15:46 »
Unfortunately you can't order the Moonlander without switches and save some (relatively tiny amount of) money, even if you are planning to use some "premium enthusiast switch" from the start.
So, it wouldn't be stupid to pick a switch with a higher likelihood of being one that you could like.

Kailh's and Cherry's quality is comparable, in my opinion. The issue is which switch characteristic you are likely to enjoy the most, and that is largely up to personal taste.

My personal opinions:
 - I wouldn't use a "speed" switch for typing. The pre-travel is too short. The Kalh Gold, Silver, Bronze and Copper switches are all "speed" switches.
 - I like to install O-rings for sound damping. You can't use O-rings with BOX switches.
... and that would leave Cherry MX Blue and Brown.
Of these, I would choose MX Blue if I'm going to use it at home and don't have to care about the noise. I would still use them with O-rings, to isolate the click sound from the sound of bottoming out. I would also lubricate them.

However,.. the Kailh BOX Brown switch also has some fans. It is slightly more tactile than Cherry MX Brown, with the tactile point higher up ... but not as tactile as many tactile enthusiast switches or Cherry MX Clear.

Offline mkleehammer

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 20:12:12 »
I’m a previous HHKB user myself, and I’ve tried a lot of switches and have settled on Kaihl silent pinks.  Very quiet with a shorter actuation at 1.8mm (compared to standard 2mm).  Not quite a speed switch, but more Topre like than anything else I’ve tried

Offline sridhar

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 03:38:12 »
Asked a similar question in ErgodoxEZ's Reddit community page and many recommended Kailh Box Whites.

Not sure if it is ok to post URLs here.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 11:26:06 »

Care to explain?
sorry for posting in an old topic
JWK/Tecsee/Gazzew are some of the "hype" switches which are more popular in the MX world due to their more customizable and smoother keypresses, more down to earth producers, cheaper/better overall, and sound a lot more quieter and do things that large companies like Kailh or Cherry can't do

Offline MagicElyas

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 May 2022, 04:31:45 »
I would honestly go for the hot swap option in the moonlander because then you can change and tune the switches the way you like and you can go for the hunt of your fav switch. If you come from Topre though, unsure which kind of switch will give you that same feeling

Offline h1ro

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 June 2022, 16:33:26 »
Another possibility might the relatively new Gateron CJ switches. 50g actuation, 60g bottom out - so relatively light without accidental keypresses from being too light. The other thing I'm really enjoying with them is how smooth the feel is without lubing. It makes me feel like I can type more gently if that makes any sense :)