Author Topic: Suggestions for Advantage keyboard  (Read 287491 times)

Offline sordna

Re: Suggestions for Advantage keyboard
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 23:57:55 »
Without a doubt: option of between 20g to 30g activation force keys. The datahand used 18g and it is the most ergo keyboard ever. Making fingers strain more with extra force required is crazy.

Without a doubt: option of between 20g to 30g activation force keys. The datahand used 18g and it is the most ergo keyboard ever. Making fingers strain more with extra force required is crazy.

Gateron clears might be a good choice for light activation, they are lighter than cherry reds.
Actually I've been thinking it would be nice to use a mix, cherry reds under the stronger fingers, and gateron clears in the outer columns for the pinkies.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #401 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 01:15:37 »
I'd likely want to try out anything lighter than an MX red switch before buying. 

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #402 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 09:56:52 »
I agree 100% with the idea of lighter switches than mx reds.  And with less key travel.  I think the Matias Linear Quiet switches would be perfect.  Or the Gateron Clears with o-rings.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #403 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 00:20:32 »
i'd like to know how distanace between A-Thumb "delete"?
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 00:26:13 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #404 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 12:05:49 »
Quick poll if you guys want different color home row options. I thought it would be a cool idea to have kits available for the Adv2 (or any version of the Contoured keyboard) where if you didn't like the base home row color (currently dark blue) you could get whatever color you preferred (red, green, dark gray, etc). yay or nay?

Also leave any feedback on twitter:

https://twitter.com/kinesisergo/status/723552554282455040

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #405 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 14:33:12 »
Quick poll if you guys want different color home row options. I thought it would be a cool idea to have kits available for the Adv2 (or any version of the Contoured keyboard) where if you didn't like the base home row color (currently dark blue) you could get whatever color you preferred (red, green, dark gray, etc). yay or nay?

Also leave any feedback on twitter:

https://twitter.com/kinesisergo/status/723552554282455040

I really like the blue that is already in use.  I think it is the perfect shade of blue, and it looks good with both white or black surrounding keys.

Offline islisis

« Reply #406 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 04:40:56 »
good idea

dark red

and, blank option if possible!

Offline glax

« Reply #407 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 04:02:09 »

Yes: black.
The different shape of the homerow keys but having the same color than the other keys. Preferably optional blank.

A completely black and blank advantage might be a cool thing.

Offline tassadarforaiur

« Reply #408 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 04:57:10 »
are you still taking beta signups?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #409 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 05:28:53 »
We need more ergonomic keyboards with dye sub PBT keycaps and Cherry Mx / Gateron switches. I imagine cleaning that keyboard could be a simple joy if it had dye sub PBT keycaps.

Besides, most people that shop for that kind of keyboard are already aware of the resistance PBT provides against oil and heat. Just my two cents.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #410 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 13:43:55 »
We just plain need more mechanical ergonomic keyboards though MX stem compatibility is going to be an important factor.

Offline localredhead

« Reply #411 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 14:25:06 »
I'm not so keen on lighter switches as I enjoy zealios 65g..

What I think I'd appreciate the most is a switch with a higher activation point like the zealios or matias quiet clicks.

Offline zombiegristle

« Reply #412 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 14:26:44 »
Any current Advantage users who have Windows 8 or Windows 10 interested in testing out the Beta Adv2 keyboard for the next few weeks or so (in the US)? If so please email me over at tech@kinesis.com and I'll let you know the specifics. Participants are expected to receive a free Adv2 keyboard when it's available this year.

Current Advantage user on Win10, and absolutely interested. I'm emailing you right now.

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #413 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 18:42:31 »
Latest round of beta testing has been great. So far only really minor bugs discovered which are easily fixed so this will likely be the final round of beta testing and we can wrap this all up ::::crosses fingers:::::

What I think I'd appreciate the most is a switch with a higher activation point like the zealios or matias quiet clicks.

While we only offer Cherry Browns & Cherry Reds, we're always happy to provide the bare parts necessary to convert a current Advantage keyboard to whatever key switch you prefer and it's fairly inexpensive. You would of course need to source your own key switches & diodes (assuming they aren't pre-installed in the switch).

Offline sordna

« Reply #414 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 23:18:31 »
we're always happy to provide the bare parts necessary to convert a current Advantage keyboard to whatever key switch you prefer and it's fairly inexpensive. You would of course need to source your own key switches & diodes (assuming they aren't pre-installed in the switch).

Could we source and send you switches when we order a new keyboard, and you use them in the assembly?

I've been thinking to mix gateron clears in the outer columns (for the weak pinkies) and cherry reds for the rest! Maybe cherry blacks for the long thumb keys.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline localredhead

« Reply #415 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 13:52:46 »
Latest round of beta testing has been great. So far only really minor bugs discovered which are easily fixed so this will likely be the final round of beta testing and we can wrap this all up ::::crosses fingers:::::

While we only offer Cherry Browns & Cherry Reds, we're always happy to provide the bare parts necessary to convert a current Advantage keyboard to whatever key switch you prefer and it's fairly inexpensive. You would of course need to source your own key switches & diodes (assuming they aren't pre-installed in the switch).

You guys are awesome!

I can't wait to order the new model so I can modify my current advantage with purple zealios switches.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #416 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 12:49:08 »
I really like the direction this is taking    :thumb:
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
« Reply #417 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 00:25:24 »
I made my own keyboard in my free time over about 20 months instead of waiting for the new Kinesis Advantage. But there is a big difference between one prototype and a ready to sell product.  I'm not surprised it takes about 4 years to get it out. That is the reason I started my project in December 2013. I was reasonably confident I'll have it done long before I could buy the new Kinesis Advantage :)

You need to realize that contoured keyboards are not sold in huge quantities and therefore its development budget is limited. And competition is limited too. So there is no big need to hurry.
Awesome work, little toyish with the colors but that's all preference, the design is cool. 

I have to disagree with no rush when competition isn't around.  The fact there is no competition is scary because that means opportunity.  Imagine if Microsoft took a leap into the true ergo market with a contoured board?  They could easily do it and they'd have their split 'ergo' board fans already interested.

I think small companies need to sweat to stay on top and be REALLY proactive.  Imagine if Kinesis had a bigger presence online and such?  Pander to gamers a bit or at least get up every corporate nose possible to sell contoured boards? 

Maybe they do, and I actually think they do, but I just hope things are going well.  Instagram is a good avenue they could pursue. Their products and customer service are top notch, I just wish "WHAT IS THAT KEYBOARD" would go away to make room for "I WANT A KINESIS!"

Someday!

We've also had a number of other projects being worked on at the same time, and we are a very small company (~12 employees) so resources/time is a factor (Bluetooth Freestyle2, mechanical Freestyle/gaming keyboard, our foot switches went through a major overhaul (which are a big seller for us), etc.). With that said, I agree with your points. We are going to launch a couple new products this year and we'll see how people respond to the mechanical Freestyle (hopefully really well since we sell much more Freestyle keyboards than our Contoured keyboards).
Oh awesome on the mechanical freestyle, I think cost and staggered layout will help that sell like crazy!  I wish you guys the best, and sorry for late reply I've been busy.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Offline figit090

« Reply #418 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 01:48:39 »
Any current Advantage users who have Windows 8 or Windows 10 interested in testing out the Beta Adv2 keyboard for the next few weeks or so (in the US)? If so please email me over at tech@kinesis.com and I'll let you know the specifics. Participants are expected to receive a free Adv2 keyboard when it's available this year.

OH HOW did I MISS THIS!?  lol.   I'd emailed back and forth about the beta program but I guess I wasn't needed.  If you guys need any further Win7 testing OR product photos (seriously I'm a photographer) let me know.  Not sure I can upgrade to Windows 10 for fear my programs wouldn't work right, but I'd be darn tempted to get a new keyboard, haha.   :thumb:

I can't say I have been ignored though, I won a Freestyle2 Blue through your "show us your desktops" thing a while back.   :) 

Offline localredhead

« Reply #419 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 15:20:03 »

OH HOW did I MISS THIS!?  lol.   I'd emailed back and forth about the beta program but I guess I wasn't needed.  If you guys need any further Win7 testing OR product photos (seriously I'm a photographer) let me know.  Not sure I can upgrade to Windows 10 for fear my programs wouldn't work right, but I'd be darn tempted to get a new keyboard, haha.   :thumb:

I can't say I have been ignored though, I won a Freestyle2 Blue through your "show us your desktops" thing a while back.   :)

I dare say an mechanical freestyle will become the gold standard.

Offline figit090

« Reply #420 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 15:23:06 »
Agreed, the main thing keeping gamers away from Kinesis would be rubber dome, or non-staggered keys.  I bet if the layout is correct, INCLUDES number keys, and has some extra function keys, it will slay anything else.  RGB LED cherry switches will make higher end models over the top!  If Kinesis can pull off all that for starters I think they'd do well.

Offline xyverz

« Reply #421 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 15:12:55 »

Oh, I'm happy to hear this. I'm really looking forward to the release of the Advantage 2.

This would make me very happy. I tend to bottom out on my switches, so I'd really want to put some of the heaviest switches I can find on my next Kinesis. If I could get a kit and put my own switches and diodes in it, I'd be in hog heaven.

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but I'd love to have a board with a flashable firmware chip in it that would take TMK or QMK firmware so I could program in my own layouts and make changes where I see fit. In the mean time, I'll just be happy with knowing that I can swap some keys around like I've been doing for the last 16 years.

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #422 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 13:01:38 »

Oh, I'm happy to hear this. I'm really looking forward to the release of the Advantage 2.

This would make me very happy. I tend to bottom out on my switches, so I'd really want to put some of the heaviest switches I can find on my next Kinesis. If I could get a kit and put my own switches and diodes in it, I'd be in hog heaven.

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but I'd love to have a board with a flashable firmware chip in it that would take TMK or QMK firmware so I could program in my own layouts and make changes where I see fit. In the mean time, I'll just be happy with knowing that I can swap some keys around like I've been doing for the last 16 years.

Here are a few links of users who converted their Advantage keyboards (the first link is with Cherry Green's which may insterest you since you like the heavier switches):

http://imgur.com/a/lEqK7
http://www.gilesorr.com/misc/keyboards/kinesisblue.html
http://tech.skryl.org/post/60613686455/the-kinesis-conversion

« Last Edit: Fri, 29 July 2016, 14:38:17 by natas206 »

Offline localredhead

« Reply #423 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 13:20:32 »
I want a Advantage V2 Pro model (with the customary silver finish) but I would like to get home-row keys that are grey as well to really bring a monotone vibe to the color scheme :)

BTW:  I love how all the parts on the advantage are sourceable and can be replaced/repaired easily.  This is a huge selling point for myself, as I like to tinker and now I have a few that I'd like to start modding :)

I cannot wait for the V2 Pro model - when can I pre-order?

Offline highend

« Reply #424 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 07:37:58 »
natas206 posted that you can preorder it from now on and that it would be generally available in about two weeks but he removed that information on his last edit (29 July 2016)...

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #425 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 12:08:35 »
I want a Advantage V2 Pro model (with the customary silver finish) but I would like to get home-row keys that are grey as well to really bring a monotone vibe to the color scheme :)

I got you fam:
https://www.kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage2-silver/
(in the box also comes with the optional blue home row keys)

Here is the regular Avantage2 (black, blue home row (no gray keys)):
https://www.kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage2/

We only have about 20-30 of these since the hydroskin was very expensive (much more than we wanted)! But we may make more if there is interest:
https://www.kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage2-graphite/
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 August 2016, 12:13:01 by natas206 »

Offline localredhead

« Reply #426 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 13:46:58 »

I got you fam:

We only have about 20-30 of these since the hydroskin was very expensive (much more than we wanted)! But we may make more if there is interest:

The graphite!!  It will be mine. Oh yes.. it will be mine.

Offline azth

« Reply #427 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 15:34:56 »

How much heavier is it than the regular finish Advantage2? It's only the top half I presume (the bottom is silver or black)?

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #428 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 16:00:38 »

How much heavier is it than the regular finish Advantage2? It's only the top half I presume (the bottom is silver or black)?

Less than an ounce of difference in weight, it's not noticeable. And yes, it's only the top case (the bottom remains black).

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #429 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 23:13:23 »
Congrats on releasing this!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #430 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 03:36:56 »
Yay!

I'm curious, what's the difference between the basic and QD models?

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #431 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 23:53:01 »
Yay!

It's just like before with the original Advantage and the Advantage/QD - only the key caps are different (QD model has dual legend qwerty/dvorak key caps). Other than they are identical.

I think for people who may want to have multiple switchable layouts in their keyboards the blank keycap set makes sense.

Offline glax

« Reply #432 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 04:55:01 »

I got you fam:

Finally  :D :D :D :D :D

I can't wait to lay my hands on it.

According to the pdf-brochure, there are UK, GER and SE versions intended in the future. Will there be a blank key cap version? I'd rather omit spending additional 40 bucks for a blank set.

If this results in too many options, maybe it might be an option to package stripped keyboards with a desired set of key caps; people intending to apply the o-ring mod have to strip the keyboard anyway.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #433 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 05:16:15 »
Yay!

It's just like before with the original Advantage and the Advantage/QD - only the key caps are different (QD model has dual legend qwerty/dvorak key caps). Other than they are identical.

I think for people who may want to have multiple switchable layouts in their keyboards the blank keycap set makes sense.

I see, it's QWERTY-Dvorak. I feel dumb now.

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #434 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 18:05:21 »

I got you fam:

According to the pdf-brochure, there are UK, GER and SE versions intended in the future. Will there be a blank key cap version? I'd rather omit spending additional 40 bucks for a blank set.

If this results in too many options, maybe it might be an option to package stripped keyboards with a desired set of key caps; people intending to apply the o-ring mod have to strip the keyboard anyway.

I think that's a good idea. I know we we probably don't want to have too many versions (it gets confusing for our resellers) but it probably wouldn't hurt to add one more for Blank keys. Or at the very least perhaps we can work directly with people for a "special order KB600-blank" or something like that not listed on our website. Kind of a geekhack exclusive.  I'm going to push for this.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #435 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 01:01:54 »

I got you fam:

I think that's a good idea. I know we we probably don't want to have too many versions (it gets confusing for our resellers) but it probably wouldn't hurt to add one more for Blank keys. Or at the very least perhaps we can work directly with people for a "special order KB600-blank" or something like that not listed on our website. Kind of a geekhack exclusive.  I'm going to push for this.

1) BLANK KEYCAP OPTION X 1,000,000,000

2) And somewhere, someplace, someone PLEASE assemble the KINESIS ADVANTAGE keycaps in PBT or POM.

Offline figit090

« Reply #436 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 01:31:58 »

I got you fam:

1) BLANK KEYCAP OPTION X 1,000,000,000

2) And somewhere, someplace, someone PLEASE assemble the KINESIS ADVANTAGE keycaps in PBT or POM.
I thought blanks were available?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #437 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 01:41:34 »
They are/were available, but may be limited. They are black.

Via iPhone 6 Plus/iPad Mini + Tapatalk VIP + while driving 70mph

Offline islisis

« Reply #438 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 04:16:29 »
Was there any decision on selling home key color sets separately?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #439 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 04:44:16 »
Cherry ML switch implementation? Say what? intrigued :)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #440 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 15:25:54 »

Kinesis is now using ML switches on the upper function row instead of the mushy, rubber, press buttons. Major upgrade!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #441 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 15:43:32 »

Kinesis is now using ML switches on the upper function row instead of the mushy, rubber, press buttons. Major upgrade!

I'm thinking about it -- they definitely have my attention with the ML switches :cool:

Offline vatin

« Reply #442 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:49:51 »
Thank you so much for listening to my and many other's request of using mechanical switches for function keys. Now it is perfect.
Would you offer an "upgrade kit" for Advantage 1 owners?
OLKB Planck V6

Offline adreamer

« Reply #443 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:42:34 »
Thank you so much for listening to my and many other's request of using mechanical switches for function keys. Now it is perfect.

An "upgrade" option would be great  :)

Offline vatin

« Reply #444 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 23:06:53 »

An "upgrade" option would be great  :)

I mailed to ask Kinesis who said there is no plan for an upgrade kit. However, I've placed an order for 1 Advantage LF.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #445 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 13:04:28 »
They are/were available, but may be limited. They are black.

Oh yeah, the blank keycaps are available, it's just that they are sold separately and not pre-installed.

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #446 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 13:07:15 »
Was there any decision on selling home key color sets separately?

Yeah, we got a bunch of different home row keycaps available although I'm really only a fan of the gray and the blues:
https://www.kinesis-ergo.com/shop/alternate-home-row-colors/

We may get different colors later if people are interested, like green (why don't we have a green?!), black, etc.

Offline yaun

« Reply #447 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 12:34:34 »
@Natas Do you know when the new advantage keyboard will be available at resellers in europe? i'm really looking forward to it. But purchasing directly from kinesis would come close to 500 euros with shipping, taxes, etc. Although I wonder if resellers can offer a better price...

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #448 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 17:20:49 »
@Natas Do you know when the new advantage keyboard will be available at resellers in europe? i'm really looking forward to it. But purchasing directly from kinesis would come close to 500 euros with shipping, taxes, etc. Although I wonder if resellers can offer a better price...

Little bit of a delay with our international resellers. I would say at least 3-4 weeks before our European resellers are selling them.

Offline swesluggo

• dm9.se
« Reply #449 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 14:11:43 »

Little bit of a delay with our international resellers. I would say at least 3-4 weeks before our European resellers are selling them.

Does that include the international layouts? and on that note, I heard that you were thinking of moving the Å-key (on the SE-layout), did you? and if so, where did it end up?
Thank you for an awesome kbd!