Author Topic: Do you like Red switch for just "typing"? Why?  (Read 129351 times)

Offline sordna

Do you like Red switch for just "typing"? Why?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 11:38:02 »
Bingo! Yes, overcoming the bump, gives you a feeling that the resistance is somehow gone. But it's a spring, and it's resistance is always there, and always increasing.
The thing with reds is that it's a perfectly smooth, uninterrupted linear increase of force, so you feel exactly that.
With tactile switches, the bump distorts this feeling, there's a higher resistance in the middle, and when it gives way, you think the resistance is gone because your finger is already pushing down way harder than the spring's remaining force.

Regarding the question about the blues, just check the cherry wiki, there's graphs for all of these switches.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline pitashen

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 11:56:24 »
I would like to quote myself from the first page of this thread.

Quote from: pitashen;356162
Red is brown without the bump.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Lester

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 12:09:44 »
Quote from: pitashen;357919
I would like to quote myself from the first page of this thread.
:o, didn't see that, cheers ;)

Offline looserboy

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 12:30:06 »
i put a brown spring into a black switch and tada red switch feeling :D

but honestly.
brown and blue for typing and blacks for gaming :D

Cherry: G80 MX11900blacks  - G80 MX1800 blacks - G80 MX1502 blacks all cards  - G81 MY 8005 ins. cards - G81 MY 3000 modded to 20g (HowTo)
NMB SPACEINVADER white
Noppo: Choc Pro browns  - Choc Mini reds
IBM: Model F IBM: Model M SSK IBM: Model M

Offline Zet

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 12:43:12 »
IMHO, reds are perfectly fine for typing, but some people really like to have that bump from tactile switches.
On my personal experience, after using my reds for less than a week, I'm enjoying so much the feeling they give you of lightness. Right now, I had to leave my KB on the office, cause I'm home for my lunch break, and typing on this semi old rubber dome ACER keyboard, is not bad, but its trash compared to my filco with reds.

I'm guessing after some time more, I'll get so much used to the reds, I'll bottom out a lot less, and when going to someone elses keyboard would not feel nice since they are so much stiffer compared to my cloud of boobs ^^

Offline Lester

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 13:02:07 »
Quote from: Zet;357942
IMHO, reds are perfectly fine for typing, but some people really like to have that bump from tactile switches.
On my personal experience, after using my reds for less than a week, I'm enjoying so much the feeling they give you of lightness. Right now, I had to leave my KB on the office, cause I'm home for my lunch break, and typing on this semi old rubber dome ACER keyboard, is not bad, but its trash compared to my filco with reds.

I'm guessing after some time more, I'll get so much used to the reds, I'll bottom out a lot less, and when going to someone elses keyboard would not feel nice since they are so much stiffer compared to my cloud of boobs ^^
Have you ever tried browns? If you did, do reds "feel" lighter then browns while typing on it?

Offline sordna

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 13:06:19 »
I have both and reds feel lighter. The most force you need to apply to register the keystroke with reds is about 45 grams. With browns, even though the spring resistance at the operating point is also 45g, you first have to apply 50-55g to overcome the bump.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 13:34:45 »
tt meka g1 for everything

/thread
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 16:06:50 »
Quote from: Lester;357954
Have you ever tried browns? If you did, do reds "feel" lighter then browns while typing on it?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll go ahead and say that for me personally, reds didn't feel lighter than browns until I had typed on them for a while. The bump of browns really makes the browns feel a bit lighter after the bump. On reds, since I bottom out a lot, I feel the last 2mm of the spring pretty heavily, and that makes reds feel a bit stiffer than browns.

Although, after blacks, reds feel like nothing.

Offline canon.tk

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 16:09:32 »
For me browns feel heavier than reds because of the extra resistance from the bump.
Filco Majestouch 104 Cherry MX Black; Filco Majestouch 87 Ninja Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch Indigo Blue 104 Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch 2 104 Cherry MX Red; Leopold 87 Otaku Cherry MX Brown; Leopold 87 Cherry MX Brown; Razer Black Widow Ultimate

Offline morethanless

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 16:15:49 »
Try pressing the reds carefully and wiggle up and down about half the way of the keystroke for some time. (like not bottoming out)
Then carefully try to press a brown key with the same amount of pressure. You shouldn't come over the bump easily now.

At least that was my experience from a switch try bag from CeeSA.

Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless LineaR
(Cherry MX Red)

Offline Lester

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 16:22:00 »
Thx for your opinions all!

So big dilemma, red vs brown :/
Brown's are easier to get and cheaper, but red's feel more lighter and I think I'd love a very light / easy to press keyboard.
I've been using a Razer Tarantula for a few years, and it's annoying me inside-out.
Glossy-ness, stiff / annoying rubber dome keys, useless macro keys, etc.
How are the browns compared to a rubber dome? Do they feel really light or is it just a small difference? I'd love to have very light keys!

Offline canon.tk

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 16:24:40 »
It'll just come down to do you need tactile feed back or not.  There's no one on here that can tell you which is better for you, only thing you can do is try each.
Filco Majestouch 104 Cherry MX Black; Filco Majestouch 87 Ninja Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch Indigo Blue 104 Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch 2 104 Cherry MX Red; Leopold 87 Otaku Cherry MX Brown; Leopold 87 Cherry MX Brown; Razer Black Widow Ultimate

Offline pitashen

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 16:29:16 »
Quote from: Lester;358060
Thx for your opinions all!

So big dilemma, red vs brown :/
Brown's are easier to get and cheaper, but red's feel more lighter and I think I'd love a very light / easy to press keyboard.
I've been using a Razer Tarantula for a few years, and it's annoying me inside-out.
Glossy-ness, stiff / annoying rubber dome keys, useless macro keys, etc.
How are the browns compared to a rubber dome? Do they feel really light or is it just a small difference? I'd love to have very light keys!

Not sure how light you are looking for, but brown switch is usually a pretty safe pick. Great for both typing and gaming.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline morethanless

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 16:36:51 »
I'm now at the same point as Lester.
I don't have a mechanical keyboard yet, but participated in an switch try bag.
My two favorites are brown and red.

I shall buy both, but I don't know which to buy first

(Cherry MX Red)

Offline Lester

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 16:43:26 »
Quote from: morethanless;358069
I'm now at the same point as Lester.
I don't have a mechanical keyboard yet, but participated in an switch try bag.
My two favorites are brown and red.

I shall buy both, but I don't know which to buy first
What is this a switch try bag? And how to aquire one?

Offline morethanless

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 16:46:31 »
It was over at deskthority.

There is one, that is for Germans and in the 2nd round for Europeans. http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=780
I don't now how the one from mr.interface is going http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64

(Cherry MX Red)

Offline Lester

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 16:48:16 »
Quote from: morethanless;358072
It was over at deskthority.

There is one, that is for Germans and in the 2nd round for Europeans. http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=780
I don't now how the one from mr.interface is going http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64
Hmm interesting, thx for the link!

Offline Engine

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 21:09:07 »
Quote from: sordna;357956
I have both and reds feel lighter. The most force you need to apply to register the keystroke with reds is about 45 grams. With browns, even though the spring resistance at the operating point is also 45g, you first have to apply 50-55g to overcome the bump.

So, wouldn't browns be more like blues then?  Also, would you say that Reds would be the best bet for me if I have achey wrists/hands?  Or, would I be better off learning to type lightly on a tactile switch to relieve pressure?  Or what is your recommendation?  Thanks.
In order of purchase:
Unicomp Space Saver(Black) - Topre Realforce 103U-UW -   Topre Realforce 103UB - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Blue - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Blue - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Brown

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 21:17:13 »
Engine, have you tried ergo clears yet?

Offline Engine

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 21:28:55 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;358193
Engine, have you tried ergo clears yet?

Actually, I was thinking on asking you where to get them?  
But I thought that clears were relatively stiff, at I think 55g?  
What makes them ergo?
And again, wouldn't reds be the most ergo Cherry switch, depending how I type maybe?
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 June 2011, 21:43:40 by Engine »
In order of purchase:
Unicomp Space Saver(Black) - Topre Realforce 103U-UW -   Topre Realforce 103UB - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Blue - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Blue - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Brown

Offline Dox

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 21:30:30 »
Quote from: Engine;358202
Actually, I was thinking on asking you where to get them?  I thought that clears were relatively stiff, at I think 55g?  What makes them ergo?

A blue or brown spring.
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 23:07:06 »
Unfortunately, you can't really buy them. You have to mod a keyboard yourself, replacing the springs (if pcb-mounted which is the easiest way).

See the link in my sig for details.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 09:56:10 »
Quote from: Engine;357703
Ok, thanks for that explaination on touch typing.  But, apparently, Reds have a distinct feel as opposed to Browns.  This "cloud" feeling in Reds sounds good but can someone like me who bottoms out, enjoy Reds?  
Chobopants?

Sorry, I missed this. People were posting so much I missed a page!

Anyway, I bottom out just not super hard. I've learned to use the force slope of the reds to moderate my bottoming out. I hit the PCB with almost every keystroke but I can type gently enough that it's not really stressing anything in my hands. This is actually greatly beneficial to me as it forces me to not slam my fingers down and possibly hurt my tendons.

I love browns a little bit more for gaming but I feel the bump reduces my ability to gently type because the force that I use to get over the bump makes it tougher for me to gently moderate me slamming down on the keys. Now that was a sentence.

Anyway, I love all three of my light switches quite a bit. When TKC has those bright white boards with black switches in stock I'll probably grab one just to see what I think about it. If I want a bit more resistance and feedback while typing I grab my Realforce and feel some oneness with cup rubber but Reds are my daily driver at work.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 10:04:34 »
I'm just the opposite. I'm a fairly light typist myself, but I have such big hands that even when I type lightly I still apply plenty of force. I find that browns are better for me as an everyday driver, with reds/blacks being relegated to my home/gaming rig.

It's all about personal preference. To Lester: I wouldn't worry about it right now. Get whichever one you're gut tells you to. I guarantee that you'll be itchin to get another one fairly soon, and then you can try the other switch :)

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 10:44:20 »
Quote from: daerid;358404
I'm just the opposite. I'm a fairly light typist myself, but I have such big hands that even when I type lightly I still apply plenty of force. I find that browns are better for me as an everyday driver, with reds/blacks being relegated to my home/gaming rig.

It's all about personal preference. To Lester: I wouldn't worry about it right now. Get whichever one you're gut tells you to. I guarantee that you'll be itchin to get another one fairly soon, and then you can try the other switch :)

Yeah, what it basically boils down to and why these threads end up not being the most useful is you just never know what you're going to like until you try it. Everyone has different preferences and what someone thinks will likely be different than what you think. That's why I try my best to never say that one switch is better than another because everyone likes something a little different.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 10:59:09 »
I just received my white Filco with MX red.  It is very light.  Lighter than brown, as well as my Realforce 86U.  It is actually very nice to type with. I do bottom out most of the time, the bottom out sound is nice.  I have been using it today and I enjoy typing on it.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 11:31:34 »
Yeah man, it's my favorite 'board. :) I probably love my Brown just a tad more as a general use workhorse but this is the keyboard I'd bring with me on a trip and show off to the ladies at the club.

Offline Lester

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 11:37:52 »
Quote from: litster;358447
I just received my white Filco with MX red.  It is very light.  Lighter than brown, as well as my Realforce 86U.  It is actually very nice to type with. I do bottom out most of the time, the bottom out sound is nice.  I have been using it today and I enjoy typing on it.

You enjoy it more then brown switches? Or they're just "different" and none of them is better then the other?

Offline morethanless

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 11:38:45 »
Where did you get these shiny white key caps from?

(Cherry MX Red)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 11:45:12 »
Quote from: morethanless;358489
Where did you get these shiny white key caps from?

PBT Group Buy in the Group Buys forum

Offline Haes

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 11:48:41 »
For Typing Reds are okay for me, but for gaming halleluja !!! Best so far. Buying one for my gaming rig for sure.
I love-hate browns. Love less resistance, hate that awful tactil response. It's mushy. If you spamming hard, you don't feel the bump at all. If you typing slow, there you feel this mushy bump.
For Typing i love mx blues. Precise bump, very direct and I love the resistance and the click. Gaming on them is still good.

Conclusion: Typing - Blues, Gaming - Reds.
Daily Driver: Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Blue) with Cherry ABS Doubleshots | Future Gaming Driver: Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Red) with Cherry ABS Doubleshots | Favorite Switches: Cherry MX Blue > Cherry MX Red  > Cherry MX Ergo Clears > Cherry MX Black > Cherry MX Brown | Interessting in: Topre Realforce , Noppoo Choc Mini & KBC Poker[/COLOR]

Offline Lester

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 12:02:35 »
Quote from: Haes;358498
For Typing Reds are okay for me, but for gaming halleluja !!! Best so far. Buying one for my gaming rig for sure.
I love-hate browns. Love less resistance, hate that awful tactil response. It's mushy. If you spamming hard, you don't feel the bump at all. If you typing slow, there you feel this mushy bump.
For Typing i love mx blues. Precise bump, very direct and I love the resistance and the click. Gaming on them is still good.

Conclusion: Typing - Blues, Gaming - Reds.
Browns are mushy? :S
Which keyboard with brows have you tried?

Offline Haes

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 12:04:44 »
Zowie Celeritas and CeeSA's Try Gaming Switch Bag so far. Wanna love to try Filco MJ Brown, but on the switch bag the feeling didn't change.
Yeah compared to blues there are kinda "mushy".
Daily Driver: Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Blue) with Cherry ABS Doubleshots | Future Gaming Driver: Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Red) with Cherry ABS Doubleshots | Favorite Switches: Cherry MX Blue > Cherry MX Red  > Cherry MX Ergo Clears > Cherry MX Black > Cherry MX Brown | Interessting in: Topre Realforce , Noppoo Choc Mini & KBC Poker[/COLOR]

Offline BababooeyHTJ

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 13:57:09 »
Quote from: Chobopants;358480
Yeah man, it's my favorite 'board. :) I probably love my Brown just a tad more as a general use workhorse but this is the keyboard I'd bring with me on a trip and show off to the ladies at the club.

Show Image

Those white keycaps look so good on that board.

Offline Engine

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 17:09:10 »
Quote from: Chobopants;358401
Sorry, I missed this. People were posting so much I missed a page!

Anyway, I bottom out just not super hard. I've learned to use the force slope of the reds to moderate my bottoming out. I hit the PCB with almost every keystroke but I can type gently enough that it's not really stressing anything in my hands. This is actually greatly beneficial to me as it forces me to not slam my fingers down and possibly hurt my tendons.

I love browns a little bit more for gaming but I feel the bump reduces my ability to gently type because the force that I use to get over the bump makes it tougher for me to gently moderate me slamming down on the keys. Now that was a sentence.

Anyway, I love all three of my light switches quite a bit. When TKC has those bright white boards with black switches in stock I'll probably grab one just to see what I think about it. If I want a bit more resistance and feedback while typing I grab my Realforce and feel some oneness with cup rubber but Reds are my daily driver at work.

1. since you bottom out, then you're saying that you still experience the "cloud" effect?
2. Do you recommend this switch for RSI vs Brown, since brown has that sightly heavier initial weight before the actuation(bump)?
3. Do you have problems using Topre 55g?  Do you think that "Blacks" could pose a tendon issue?
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 June 2011, 17:20:55 by Engine »
In order of purchase:

Offline litster

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 20:02:29 »
Quote from: Lester;358488
You enjoy it more then brown switches? Or they're just "different" and none of them is better then the other?

I like brown.  I sold a Filco otaku brown and then I bought back a Filco ninja brown because I missed it.  It is on its way.  I liked brown when I had it.  It felt very similar to red, just with the extra bump.  I think I still like my Realforce 86U most, but the red is very close.  I will have my brown next to all the others next week to do side-by-side comparison.

Offline pat

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 14:11:08 »
I have a filco red and really really like it for typing.  I'm a unix admin and type all day long, I have 2 realforce keyboards on my linux desktops...one at work and one at home, and the filco red on my primary desktop at home (mac).  I also have a filco with brown switches, and like the reds way better.  Red feel similar to the realforce topre switches to me, but sound a lot different.  The topre are real quiet, the reds still clack when bottoming out, which I do on every key stroke.  I can't make up my mind which I like better, the realforce or red filco.

Offline litster

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 14:13:33 »
Welcome, pat!  I am like you, both Realforce Topre and Filco Red are my favs.

Offline sordna

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 14:16:14 »
Welcome to Geekhack!
If you want to avoid the clack, you can install some o-rings in your keycaps, best found so far is part number 2418T114 at McMaster-Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/#as568a-o-rings/
Or you can get the gray Soft-Landing pads from elite keyboards.

Offline pat

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 14:40:59 »
Thanks for the welcome!  

I saw those soft-landing pads, has anyone tried & reviewed them yet?  I'm not sure I don't mind the clack, but I'd be curious if they give the keyboard more of a topre switch feel because of the sound?

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 15:00:26 »
Quote from: pat;359058
Thanks for the welcome!  

I saw those soft-landing pads, has anyone tried & reviewed them yet?  I'm not sure I don't mind the clack, but I'd be curious if they give the keyboard more of a topre switch feel because of the sound?

I have two Filcos with reds and have the soft landing pads on both.  One set is the firm and the other is the soft.  I installed the pads so there really is no opportunity for bottoming out clicking.  I don't feel that they change the feel of the keys very much.  A little less travel but not enough to change the typing.  The main difference is it quiets down the click if you tend to bottom out.  I really don't feel that they give the reds a topre feel - not at all in my opinion.  I like the feel of topres but like the reds even better.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline sordna

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 15:00:31 »
The feel definitely changes, because apart from the sound reduction, bottoming out becomes softer, like a shock absorber. Actually that was the main reason I did this mod, to make bottoming out gentler on the fingers. The soft-landing pad have better shock-absorption effect. The o-rings have it less, so they don't change the feel of the keyboard as much, IMO. I am using both solutions in my 2 main keyboards, still undecided which one I like better. But I definitely like having either of these rather than a stock clacky keyboard.

Here are some threads discussing all of these and more:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:5450
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:8857
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?17511-EK-s-quot-Soft-Landing-quot-Pads-for-Cherry-MX/

Offline pat

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 15:16:06 »
This is rad, thanks!  I just ordered one of each (soft & hard) pads from elitekeyboards.com.  I'll try them in both my red & brown filcos, I'm real curious if it'll make me like the mx brown switches more.  I already really like the reds, this might make me like them more, we shall see.

Offline pat

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 15:21:21 »
Just ordered some of those o-rings too (2418T114), something else to try.

Offline sordna

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 16:37:45 »
Haha, trying them all like me:

but if you haven't tried this keyboard, you really should !!!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 16:38:41 »
The clack of a keyboard is the main thing that makes it endearing to me. I can't stand quiet boards.

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 16:44:44 »
Quote from: pat;359091
This is rad, thanks!  I just ordered one of each (soft & hard) pads from elitekeyboards.com.  I'll try them in both my red & brown filcos, I'm real curious if it'll make me like the mx brown switches more.  I already really like the reds, this might make me like them more, we shall see.

For me I absolutely love the reds and the soft landing pads just make them that much better.  Do you have the full sized keyboards or the tenkeyless?
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline sordna

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 16:47:54 »
Daerid, even with the pads / o-rings, you still get plenty of clack. It's just right. Here is the above pictured Kinesis, MX Red switches, and o-rings. Although I'm trying to make the upstroke clack on purpose in this sample. And I should mention I have the configurable speaker "click" feature of this awesome keyboard turned on.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 11 June 2011, 16:56:10 »
I'd like to hear reds with the dampening pads on something like a Filco. Has that been posted before?