Author Topic: PCB-mount keyboards, holtites, and keycap removal  (Read 1393 times)

Offline robotsokk

PCB-mount keyboards, holtites, and keycap removal
« on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 16:13:50 »
Hi all,

Interested in folks' experiences with one or both of the following in regards to keycap removal:

• Removing keycaps on a PCB-mount board
  • Same as above, but on a board using holtites for switches (in either PCB or plate mounted board)

Specifically, I'm interested in hearing whether anyone has had any issues with removing keycaps, and subsequently noting issues with switches not functioning correctly (e.g. keystrokes not registering consistently), or switches getting pulled out completely (esp. for holtite-based builds)?

I'm curious as I have a PCB-mount, Zeal60-based build where I'm using holtites (these), and I have a few keys that aren't registering consistently. And, for most of them, removing the keycaps pulls out the whole switch.

For the former issue, I'm planning on adding a dab of solder to those holtites. For the latter, I'm now thinking that the only real solutions to that would be i) using a plate, or ii) soldering in the switches and ditching the holtites. Even if I went with (ii) my worry would be that keycap removal on a PCB-mount board in general would put too much mechanical stress on the solder joints.

Anyone have thoughts or experience they'd like to share? I'm all ears.

Tangential aside: Going forward, I'll very likely stick with just soldering in my switches (and going with plate-mount builds). But for this one board, I'd like to make the holtites work, since it would be convenient to have even just one board with hot-swapping capability. Not at all a must-have, but since I already have the holtites, it makes sense to keep 'em.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb