Author Topic: Japan-made Mac Plus M0110a keyboard vs US-made versions  (Read 2393 times)

Offline macguy80

Japan-made Mac Plus M0110a keyboard vs US-made versions
« on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 00:38:21 »
Hi,

So I've bought a Mac Plus keyboard online, and noticed after the fact that this particular keyboard is made in Japan. According to Deskthority wiki, that means that rather than Alps SKCC Tall Cream switches, it will have Mitsumi Standard Mechanical switches. It also says that these are the same switches that were used in the Apple IIe Platinum, a machine which I have indeed used in my elementary school days. In those days, I was not cognizant of the fact that different keyswitches existed, so my memories of the keyboard's characteristics are faint. I *do* remember that I did not hate using it, so at least there's that...

But does anyone have any experience with the Japan-made variant of this keyboard, to be able to compare it to the US-made version that I'm pretty sure is the only Mac Plus keyboard I've used?

It's interesting that, although this keyboard was made in Japan, it appears to be a standard US layout. I cannot detect even a single difference.

Thanks!

Offline Sick Robotron

Re: Japan-made Mac Plus M0110a keyboard vs US-made versions
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 18:42:32 »
I just purchased one of these. Did you end up hating the mistumi standard switches or no?

Also - do you know if you can clean cream white alps without desoldering?

Offline macguy80

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 20:59:25 »
I just purchased one of these. Did you end up hating the mistumi standard switches or no?
My gosh, I thought I had followed up on this topic, but I can see now that I didn't. So thanks for posting!

No, I didn't end up hating them. On the contrary, they seem to be identical to what I remember the tall cream switches both sounding and feeling like. But I want to get an M0110 so I can make absolutely certain. That said, I haven't used it extensively because I have yet to figure out the intricacies of the Fn layer provided by my converter, and I regularly do things that require keys that aren't there. When I can devote some time, that will change.
Also - do you know if you can clean cream white alps without desoldering?
I'm afraid I can't help you there, as I have never attempted to clean any Alps switches (or these Mitsumis). I have cerebral palsy, so my hands aren't the most adept.

Offline Sick Robotron

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 01:12:32 »
I actually just purchased an m0110 as well, but it does not look to be in such immaculate condition as the m0110a I purchased. I will let you know how they compare side by side when they arrive :).