Author Topic: 75% Keyboard for MacOS?  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Natesac

75% Keyboard for MacOS?
« on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 15:47:56 »
Howdy!

Well my birthday is coming up and my new iMac needs a new keyboard. I'm currently using a MagicForce 68 w/ cherry browns. It works ok, but I'm really missing the Mac function row. I find myself keeping the Apple Magic Keyboard within arms reach. I would really love a KB with a 75% layout and a properly labeled Mac function row (media, brightness, OS keys, etc). I'm a fan of the cherry mx browns.

I'm having trouble finding exactly what I'm looking for. Something like the Varmilo VA87Mac, but in a slightly smaller layout. The Vortex Race 3 is almost there, but the function row is not labeled properly. The Matias boards just aren't my style.

Are there any other options out there for me?

Looking for some suggestions, or perhaps another place to keep an eye out for my dream KB. I try to keep an eye on r/mechanicalkeyboards, and have asked this question there a few times, but they mostly just suggest buying something and dealing with the fact that the keycaps are not Mac specific.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: 75% Keyboard for MacOS?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 15:54:34 »
If you want your perfect keyboard i would recommend making a costum one. I can't think 1 2 3 out of my head a keyboard that will fill your criteria.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Natesac

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 15:57:04 »
If you want your perfect keyboard i would recommend making a costum one. I can't think 1 2 3 out of my head a keyboard that will fill your criteria.

The thought has crossed my mind. Also thought of just buying a decent 75% KB and hunting down a set of keycaps, but I am having trouble finding the keycaps I have in mind.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 16:23:03 »
If you like the DSA of the Rac3, you can get SP DSA Granite (also the HC version) and similar with mac keycaps, but IDK about the function row. Most mac keys are limited to the bottom row mods for custom kits.

I know they are working on XDA Oblique which is trying to stay true to OG Apple design, but again doubt they are doing mac media shortcut legends.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 18:39:28 »
Any 75% will work (except some Nopoo and Dreevo, they have some issues), however, the one problem you will find is that every option is going to miss at least one element you seem to be after.

For example, while they may have media keys, they are not in the same place as the Mac defaults and they will be on the function layer, not the default layer.   This is the problem with the Race 3 and while the Race 3 allows reprogramming, it only allows it on the fn layer, not the default layer (according to what I read), though it does include the command keys though. If you get a fully programmable, you could remap them to the stock locations and even set them to the default to the function layer, for this you need a custom and I know of none that have Mac legends, they are also quite expensive and usually offered only in kit form. 75’s are always a hassle for keycaps and when you throw in Mac legends it becomes a desert. WASD does offer stock Mac multimedia function locations, however they are buried in the function row, and since you can’t reprogram it, they will remain there, there is also the fact that they don’t make a 75% or keycap set for a 75%.

Which is how it’s going to be on probably nearly every keyboard you look at. It’s either remapped, no legends, or not available in a 75%. 75% is the least standardized form factor and one of the least common form factors so even if you do find a keycap set that works, it probably won’t match the board you try and put them on, Vortex puts the FN on the top row while many others use the bottom row, some also center pg/up down between home and end, others put one set above the other… It’s just a mess. Granted, being able to remap fixes this, but again, finding a set with proper legends in the proper place is still an issue.

There is a way though but it’s not perfect, I did this on my Race.
Buy a fully programmable Chinese custom like an XD84, EEPW84, KBDfan75, etc…), you can build an XD or EEPW84 for pretty cheap if you pick the right parts but unless you go cheap, it will be anything but. Now head to WASD and build a custom keycap set that matches Mac, For the right column on the 75% we re-label the numpad keys. Just pick a key on the proper row and relabel it pg dn or end, etc.. until you have a complete right collumn. You will have extras, I made extras in various colors.

This still leaves the right shift key, for this you have two options, WASD offers a 1x1.75 blank keycap for 75% keyboards. Your right shift will be blank, but it will match. Tip, if you leave the left shift blank, you will at least be symetrical, could even use different color blanks on all or some modifiers to make it less obvious. Your other option is use the 00 key and label it shift. This will not fill the gap perfectly, but gives you a label. Of course this means you will get standard  ABS caps with laser etching, you won’t get thick double shot pbt or different color legends but they will work and match the layout you want.  As far as I know, this is as close as possible to what you are after. If you do get a Chinese custom, consider buying screw in stabs, I have seen some that just do not like to stay in place otherwise. Note, I have no idea how programmable some of these keyboards are, you will need to check before buying. Not all may support editing the default layer, but at least one or two will.

Beware, you can spend a LOT on a custom by the time it's done, $200 is not hard to fly right past before you even add keycaps and you could even end up passing $400 by the time you get done which is a far cry from even the cost of the Race or just buying a WASD TKL and a set of Mac modifiers. So you need to really decide if this is a rabbit hole worth going down.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Natesac

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 22:07:35 »
Sounds like I might just have to put together some kind of DiY solution if I want a small Mac KB. I really just want something as close to a mechanical version of the Apple Magic Keyboard as I can get.

I might just settle for the Varmilo, but I'd really like something a little smaller. I guess my next step is to try to find some quality keycaps and see if there is another 75%ish size KB that I can reprogram or remap with software.

Thanks for the help folks.

Offline Natesac

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 13:33:56 »
I cobbled together something that works for now.

Vortex Race 3 with Cherry blues, added the Mac hotkeys from WASD. It's a mix of DSA and OEM profiles, but it will work for now. Loving the blues. Sounds much different that the browns on the old Magicforce.