Author Topic: what is the most expensive custom keyboard in this forum?  (Read 22778 times)

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
Re: what is the most expensive custom keyboard in this forum?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 21:16:52 »
People do have a tendency, I think, to forget that many high quality custom keyboards are extremely durable and, if built properly, reliable. For example, you have to be pretty reckless to damage aluminum anodization of any decent quality. However there are many expensive customs which are not so solidly manufactured or whose firmware is less stable, so it's not so cut-and-dry.

On a related note, some people have a fear of putting wear on their keycaps. But in my opinion, wear often looks very good.

I sold my more expensive boards because I found they were used substantially less than the others, especially my VE.A. Too bad tkls don't have much appeal to me.

Also, I LOVE my set of Alps Electric doubleshots that are shined all to hell. 
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 June 2018, 21:19:06 by MandrewDavis »
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline 00

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 21:28:52 »
it would be the 356cls plastered with expensive artisans, or if you refuse to include those, probably SAA or that one dyesub hebrew set that's yet to see the light of day outside of china
It's like, dude, you gotta re-evaluate
Your perspective and your priorities, because
You started doing this because it was ****ing fun, you know?
It has to be fun
Otherwise, you're just torturing yourself, you know?
You're... you're just stuck inside your own ****ing head

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 23:30:09 »
it would be the 356cls plastered with expensive artisans, or if you refuse to include those, probably SAA or that one dyesub hebrew set that's yet to see the light of day outside of china

Something like this?

198342-0

Offline Nlight

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 00:18:26 »
Oh my, can you type on it with all these reliefs under your fingers ?  :eek:

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 19:22:29 »
People do have a tendency, I think, to forget that many high quality custom keyboards are extremely durable and, if built properly, reliable. For example, you have to be pretty reckless to damage aluminum anodization of any decent quality. However there are many expensive customs which are not so solidly manufactured or whose firmware is less stable, so it's not so cut-and-dry.

its almost like people will just pay anything for something other people want to look good in front of them

its almost like thats what this entire community has devolved into

:blank:
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rxc92

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 08:44:22 »
Counting out paying for exclusiveness or limited-edition stuff, it's really pretty hard to go over, say $600 with a keyboard. You can get your LED side lights, backlighting, an anodized aluminum case and choice of switches for, what, $350? And even the most expensive keycap sets (not made of gold or something) rarely push $150. Not sure how much a full Raindrop V1 set is (which afaik is pretty expensive), but even then I doubt people would pay more than $100 at most.

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 10:40:33 »
Counting out paying for exclusiveness or limited-edition stuff, it's really pretty hard to go over, say $600 with a keyboard. You can get your LED side lights, backlighting, an anodized aluminum case and choice of switches for, what, $350? And even the most expensive keycap sets (not made of gold or something) rarely push $150. Not sure how much a full Raindrop V1 set is (which afaik is pretty expensive), but even then I doubt people would pay more than $100 at most.

Wish I could get kustoms for < $600 all in.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 12:21:18 »

Wish I could get kustoms for < $600 all in.

He's right though, I don't know that I have ever seen a keyboard release for more than $400. It's the secondhand market where prices get rediculous

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 12:24:44 »

There are keycap sets that go for way more. $250 for troubled minds, calm depths etc. $350 for some R6 sets, Honeywell and space cadet. $500 for SA and DSA retro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 12:24:55 »

There are keycap sets that go for way more. $250 for troubled minds, calm depths etc. $350 for some R6 sets, Honeywell and space cadet. $500 for SA and DSA retro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 12:51:22 »

Typically a Keycap Base Set will only be $100-$150 (Retro was), it's all the extras that drive the price up.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 14:58:33 »
If you want some serious bragging rights, you can drop 4,5k at this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjqv4EdDmkd/

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 15:07:45 »

On a related note, some people have a fear of putting wear on their keycaps. But in my opinion, wear often looks very good.

oohhh ya

black tkl with black blanks is good

no 1 please come up for sale thank u
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 15:52:20 »
BUT what was the most expensive board made before aftermarket prices?

Zeal's zephyr? $550+shipping?
-Dana

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:04:59 »

nasby koala

1500 and shipping in the GB
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:17:41 »

nasby koala

1500 and shipping in the GB

Varmilo is offering a titanium TKL for $4500
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjqv4EdDmkd/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=83rk3lnmkljh
DM them if you want one.

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:22:48 »
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjqv4EdDmkd/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=83rk3lnmkljh
DM them if you want one.

I saw someone post this above, I don't think it is intended to be anything more than just a 'look what we did lawl, we'll sell it for this outrageous price because lawl'

While I don't feel like it fits the spirit of the discussion, I definitely think it would meet OPs criteria

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:25:50 »
How long until we see keyboards plated in precious metals or encrusted with jewels? Not that I would ever want such a monstrosity myself.

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:39:51 »
How long until we see keyboards plated in precious metals or encrusted with jewels? Not that I would ever want such a monstrosity myself.

Depends on the metal or the jewel. I would love to see a Tungsten case with Ruby/Emerald/Citrine used for the lock indicators

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:52:48 »
If you think about what old IBM keyboards like the Model F or various beamsprings cost when they were new and then adjust for inflation I'm pretty sure they would completely eclipse the vast majority of custom keyboards on this site.  Fair comparison?  Maybe not (I'm sure IBM had a hefty profit margin at those prices...).  But it does kind of put things in perspective.

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:58:24 »
If you think about what old IBM keyboards like the Model F or various beamsprings cost when they were new and then adjust for inflation I'm pretty sure they would completely eclipse the vast majority of custom keyboards on this site.  Fair comparison?  Maybe not (I'm sure IBM had a hefty profit margin at those prices...).  But it does kind of put things in perspective.

eh.... KINDOF. Their retail price was really high, but they came with computers when you bought a computer, so I don't know that the value is there because if you needed a keyboard you already had a computer, and if you had a computer you had a keyboard. It was expensive to replace them, but I don't know if it's a good comparison.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 18:54:13 »
Do Datamancer count?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 19:52:57 »
Do Datamancer count?

yeah i guess, but does anyone thats actually into keyboards own one?  :))

-Dana

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 22:19:37 »
How much were the DataHand keyboards when sold new?

Offline rxc92

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 09:25:00 »

I suppose, but they never went on sale for that price, at least not for a regualr 107-key set. Rarity drives things up, but that's not what OP was asking for, is it? Certainly we could pull up an example of an SSK which can go over $1000 by condition, but that's not how much they were worth, if you catch my meaning.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 09:33:21 »
Eh just grab a 356.2, aren't those $6k+?

Then get some Nixies, $3-5 each. Zeal stabs because they're 5x the price of normal stabs. And some super rare dye sub Cherry caps :p

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 10:11:16 »

I suppose, but they never went on sale for that price, at least not for a regualr 107-key set. Rarity drives things up, but that's not what OP was asking for, is it? Certainly we could pull up an example of an SSK which can go over $1000 by condition, but that's not how much they were worth, if you catch my meaning.

SA Honeywell, Penumbra and Hyperfuse are all $260 + taxes and shipping at originative.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 10:47:34 »

SA Honeywell, Penumbra and Hyperfuse are all $260 + taxes and shipping at originative.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll also point out that SA Honeywell contains about 30 extra caps of various sizes, largely increasing the price, and taxes/shipping aren't part of the discussion. Nice to know though.

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 12:07:23 »
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll also point out that SA Honeywell contains about 30 extra caps of various sizes, largely increasing the price, and taxes/shipping aren't part of the discussion. Nice to know though.

30 more caps doesn't matter though because there isn't an option to buy without them, so the base price is still $260 for the set. I agree Taxes and S/H shouldn't count though.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 12:26:46 »

30 more caps doesn't matter though because there isn't an option to buy without them, so the base price is still $260 for the set. I agree Taxes and S/H shouldn't count though.

In that case, what if it came with 300 extra keys but the base price was $500? Does the same logic apply there? 
Mainly I'm just trying to consider what's being put in or on the board. IMO, if it's not being used, it shouldn't be part of the price, but I can seewhere you're coming from since technically they're parts of complete sets.

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 12:36:46 »
In that case, what if it came with 300 extra keys but the base price was $500? Does the same logic apply there? 
Mainly I'm just trying to consider what's being put in or on the board. IMO, if it's not being used, it shouldn't be part of the price, but I can seewhere you're coming from since technically they're parts of complete sets.

I get what you're saying as well, And agree in your example a 400+ keycap set for $500 is stretching the rules we are trying to establish, I think it also shows that maybe keycaps are a bad parallel because there are a lot more variable cost-case scenarios.

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 13:56:37 »

I get what you're saying as well, And agree in your example a 400+ keycap set for $500 is stretching the rules we are trying to establish, I think it also shows that maybe keycaps are a bad parallel because there are a lot more variable cost-case scenarios.

Which piece of string are we actually trying to measure?
Keycaps, artisans and switches add so much variability to the equation.

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 14:50:16 »
Which piece of string are we actually trying to measure?
Keycaps, artisans and switches add so much variability to the equation.

OP just wants the most expensive keyboard, without taking switches and keycaps into the equation

Offline Komplexx

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 03:08:02 »
People be crazy over keyboards. Even more so than me. I like mostly the commercial mass produced brands where I can put my own personal spin with switches and keycaps. I may get a full on custom some day but I'd rather start making them myself. Then they'd really be rare haha.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 05:31:47 »
There's really not a lot of customs that really excite me, but that Hyper 7 and the tiny Dasher repro are awesome ^^ .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Telstar

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 08:22:20 »
DM them if you want one.

This one looks really good. But I'm fine with brushed aluminum and the lighter color matches my desk better. I plan to spend less than 1/10th of that price.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 12:26:35 »
How much does kurplop's time count towards cost?  His manually milled custom boards and keycaps (e.g Planet 6) must take a really long time and are far more desirable than anything I've seen in a GB.

120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline KebinPls

• OK
    • Insta
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 12:35:45 »
How much does kurplop's time count towards cost?  His manually milled custom boards and keycaps (e.g Planet 6) must take a really long time and are far more desirable than anything I've seen in a GB.

Show Image

Man, that looks like an office KB dream. Any idea what one of these would typically run someone?

Personally I can't use split keebs. My mind just can't deal with the split for some reason even though I already touch type

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 12:56:49 »

Man, that looks like an office KB dream. Any idea what one of these would typically run someone?

Personally I can't use split keebs. My mind just can't deal with the split for some reason even though I already touch type

$10k? :))

As soon as the good pictures are taken, I'm going to have it covered with dust and grime in no time.
Now you've finished making the prototype, you should send it to me like I agreed, and get on with making the real one.  Slacker!

I think I'll hang on to it until I make the "improved" model. That may take some time though. I'm ready to jump into it but I have to sell the idea to my wife first. I know I said I'd give it to you for free but I haven't received the $10,000 shipping and handling fee yet. (The costs for transporting goods across the Atlantic via camel are ridiculous. :eek:)

The only split I've tried was a Matias Ergo Pro with standard stagger so the only problem was B being on the left hand, there was no other learning curve.  Ortho I imagine would get confusing...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 17:09:28 »
How much does kurplop's time count towards cost?

$0

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 06:46:19 »
My question is why are people willing to pay that much?

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 12:06:54 »
My question is why are people willing to pay that much?

Usually because they can afford to. Sometimes because collecting is adjacent to drug addiction. occasionally so they can just say they did.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 14:12:35 »
First custom board from Korea that inspired Filco to make TKL boards. Saw someone looking for one and paying up to 5k.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 14:29:35 »
Wow, custom keyboards are too much for me. I'll just keep using my old kishsaver, nobody wants a keyboard that old.  :))

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 17:45:06 »
I thought millennials were supposed to all be broke and living in their parents' basements?

Why do you think they're broke and living in their parents' basements?
:rolleyes: I wonder why....

Offline typo

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 23:34:58 »
Maybe mine unfortunately. I had a custom Anodized TI case made for Realforce RGB. The case cost me $2,500 because I did not know anywhere else to go. I am actually lucky they even did it for me. It is electronics contract Fab down the street. they hate one off's. Meanwhile more unfortunately it is stuck in the tray. I am afraid to scratch it so have no pics.

Offline vegs

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 15 March 2019, 01:58:21 »
I am afraid to scratch it so have no pics.
:rolleyes:
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline typo

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 15 March 2019, 03:20:03 »
I know, I know.

Offline subcat

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 15 March 2019, 03:29:35 »
First custom board from Korea that inspired Filco to make TKL boards. Saw someone looking for one and paying up to 5k.

dunno what keyboard this is in reference to but the dk saver should have been the first, if i'm not mistaken, and i've not seen them reach anywhere near 5k, closer to 1

Offline the_ambyguous

• there's a fine line between click and clack
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 15:23:19 »
I'm surprised no ones mentioned alps yet, particularly alps SKCM green switches. the switches came in two keyboards, those two keyboards came bundled with an 11k workstation and i don't even know the msrp of the docutech 135 but a similar publishing format printer had an msrp of 272k. surely the most expensive custom board in this forum, would have been built using SKCM green alps. I occasionally see posts advertising nixdorf switches, I've yet to ever come across a member to member transaction involving SKCM green alps. That obscurity comes with a high price, I'm sure.
Magnavox Typewriter | AEK64 | 658-4081 | Leading Edge 3501 | Omnikey Orange | 197Stotle | MPC2000