Author Topic: Undersink Water Filteration ?  (Read 1789 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Undersink Water Filteration ?
« on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 05:40:04 »
NE xperts on here ?  What buy ?

Is it $500 kmac lvl,   or $2000 2080Ti lvl ?

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: Undersink Water Filteration ?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 06:14:18 »
NE xperts on here ?  What buy ?

Is it $500 kmac lvl,   or $2000 2080Ti lvl ?

Show Image

osmosis

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 06:33:40 »
For one person using a water pitcher the cost of filters annually is around $300-500 so this doesn't seem like that bad an investment for good drinkable water. It really depends on how long the filter lasts.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 10:12:25 »
Just spitballing, but I think undersink filtration might cost more since you'd be filtering all your water even if just rinsing off dishes or washing hands (although that may be your intended purpose).

I've been using a Zero Water standalone unit for about four years, and I think I change the filter maybe once every six months (I just wait until it starts tasting or smelling funny). The infrequency is caused by only using this water for drinking and cooking. I think the initial setup was only ~$50, and maybe it's another $25/year for filters.

The only annoying thing is having to refill it every day.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline trashpanda

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 10:18:41 »
^ undersink water filtration systems usually have a separate tap for drinkable water, and water for dishes etc comes out of the regular sink tap.

there's likely no "correct" answer to be gotten from this thread -- consult a professional or service in your area and they'll be able to tell you the best solution for your particular water situation. What's in your water will determine the best way to filter it out. (i.e. if you have hard water or soft water, if you're filtering for minerals or chemicals, etc etc).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 10:43:53 »
I'm really just worried about all the medical waste that may have gotten in the water.

Sediments/ taste,  I don't really mind.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 15:21:24 »
I'm really just worried about all the medical waste that may have gotten in the water.

Sediments/ taste,  I don't really mind.

Where are you that medical waste in the drinking water is a concern?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 19:20:21 »
Honestly, medical waste is the lesser of your concerns in my experience.
A LOT of cities are not properly treating the water, not just for lead pipes like in Flint, I'm talking failure to bother adding chlorine to kill biologicals in the system. When I was in the midwest it seemed every 2 years some local town was busted for not doing this and they had a boil water alert in effect.

The other thing I saw was them not filtering, well, anything. Every time they did maintenance on the pumping station behind me my house filter would be packed with clay and mud.

My advice,
Not sure how the heck you plan on spending $500 on filters, you can get an undersink Reverse Osmosis for under $200, you won't notice a difference in the water.
Bit of warning though for any filter, make sure you can get filters easily and cheaply. 90% of a RO purchase price is often the filters, the rest is cheap. 3 gallons per day is PLENTY even for a decent size family, unless you have an aquarium.

Normally you setup a whole house filter, then a softwater system (you may or may not need it), then a reverse osmosis under the sink to separate faucet. House filter will remove sediment, the RO will fix the taste. House filter and softwater should NOT be feeding the external hose outlets and sprinklers, not only is it wasteful, but the salt is bad for your lawn, car, driveway, etc.. RO should only be feeding that second small faucet. If you do get softwater, it should not be used for cooking, either bypass the faucet and/or install a RO. I would also reduce the salt content waaaaaay down, some people love a lot in the water (admittedly it does feel nice), but salt has quadrupled in price in less than a decade. A tiny amount goes a long way towards reducing water spots and such, so unless you want that feel, reduce it to very low levels.

Other thing's I would change when/if I do it again...
Bypass the softwater going to the water heater and the RO, the water heater will likely last longer as will the RO filters (probably). It also may be possible to catch the discarded water for use on the lawn or other things, they use quite a bit. I would also install parallel whole house filters (not serial), as they clog you lose pressure, two filters would reduce this and allow the filters to be used longer. 

Side note, don't buy the cheap house filters, they clog in half the time.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 19:31:32 »
Some of these RO systems have these fancier looking horizontal top tubes, are they better than the standard house filter tubes ?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 20:47:34 »
They operate under pressure, not gravity.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 09:28:02 »
They operate under pressure, not gravity.

What I meant was, are those tubes which look proprietary better than the kind of aftermarket filters you can buy for the standard house filter vertical tubes..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 21:59:12 »
A micron is a micron.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More