Author Topic: TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB with AEK and old Alps keyboard layout support  (Read 48497 times)

Offline zacbir

Re: TMK Alps64 - 60% PCB with AEK and old Alps keyboard layout support
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 11:00:13 »
I love this keyboard. I lucked out and got a GH60 case with plenty of room underneath. Anyone considered adding bluetooth support inside? I've broken down a Logitech K760 and have considered using an Adafruit Bluefruit Friend board + extras. Does the Alps64 board support any GPIO?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 18:43:39 »
I love this keyboard. I lucked out and got a GH60 case with plenty of room underneath. Anyone considered adding bluetooth support inside? I've broken down a Logitech K760 and have considered using an Adafruit Bluefruit Friend board + extras. Does the Alps64 board support any GPIO?

Current revision of the PCB supports 3 GPIO pinouts, you can find on right side of microcontroller.

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 17:34:13 »
Hi, what's the full bill of materials? Thanks.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 17:45:38 »

No BOM file but KiCAD files still are available on github, check first post. I think you can know them from there.

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 18:02:25 »

No BOM file but KiCAD files still are available on github, check first post. I think you can know them from there.

Can you tell me what components are needed per board? LCSC doesn't seem to like the BOM file that KiCad generates. Thanks.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 19:12:43 »

Can you tell me what components are needed per board? LCSC doesn't seem to like the BOM file that KiCad generates. Thanks.

I have no time to do that for a while. Can you collect components by hand from KiCAD and post it by text format here?
No special component there  but I'll be able to correct it if it is not exact or needs to be specific.

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 20:19:07 »
Ok, I can see the values of the resistors and caps, but don't know the size of them. Also I don't know anything about the clock crystal, the LED being used, or the surface mount button. (Sorry, I'm new to KiCAD and PCBs)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 20:50:06 »

Ok, I can see the values of the resistors and caps, but don't know the size of them. Also I don't know anything about the clock crystal, the LED being used, or the surface mount button. (Sorry, I'm new to KiCAD and PCBs)

All of resistors and capacitors are 1608 metric except that big capacitor is 3216.
Led is obsolete SML012 and probably hard to obtain outside of Japan,  but you will be able to find alternatives easily.
Crytal is Seiko Epson FA238 or compatible and its capacitors depends on the crystal's spec. You have to consult with datasheet to decide the value. I'm using 10pF instead of 22 for now BTW. Alps SKRP is used for the button on this project.

What is your plan on this? I guess you better change pcb design for components you can obtain cheaply and easily perhaps.

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 21:01:39 »

All of resistors and capacitors are 1608 metric except that big capacitor is 3216.
Led is obsolete SML012 and probably hard to obtain outside of Japan,  but you will be able to find alternatives easily.
Crytal is Seiko Epson FA238 or compatible and its capacitors depends on the crystal's spec. You have to consult with datasheet to decide the value. I'm using 10pF instead of 22 for now BTW. Alps SKRP is used for the button on this project.

What is your plan on this? I guess you better change pcb design for components you can obtain cheaply and easily perhaps.

Ok, I think I'm all set, thanks!

Offline zacbir

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 11:49:11 »

Current revision of the PCB supports 3 GPIO pinouts, you can find on right side of microcontroller.

Show Image

Anyone have any sample code making use of the GPIO pins? I admit I'm at a bit of a loss on how or where I'd start with modifying this keyboard to use bluetooth. I settled on the Adafruit Feather M0 Bluefruit board (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2995).

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 20:11:33 »
what's your plan on connection and communication protocol between the Adafruit Feather M0 Bluefruit LE and Alps64? I think you need to program controller on the board(ATSAMD21G18) to let them communicate, do you already have existent firmware for that?

As for Alps64 firmware side, how to use/configure the GPIO depends on those things. You can used 'hook.h' api to make your codes run, in general you will be able to use `hook_late_init` for initialization and `hook_keyboard_loop` for code running repeatedly. You can place your codes either in matrix.c or your keymap.c, btw.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/tmk_core/common/hook.h

Offline zacbir

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 09:34:17 »
what's your plan on connection and communication protocol between the Adafruit Feather M0 Bluefruit LE and Alps64? I think you need to program controller on the board(ATSAMD21G18) to let them communicate, do you already have existent firmware for that?

I don't. At this point, I'm accumulating components and trying to learn as much as I can to formulate a plan. I have a wishlist, and that's about it:

• Alps64-based (both in terms of switches and programmability)
  • Bluetooth to support at least two, preferably three, devices

So far, the closest inspiration I've found is something like the Anne Pro 2 (programmable, multi-host) or the Royal Kludge RK61 (non-programmable, multi-host). I picked up the latter pretty inexpensively, but ultimately, I'd like to build one based around the Alps64 and the spare parts I have on hand (several AEKIIs left).

As for Alps64 firmware side, how to use/configure the GPIO depends on those things. You can used 'hook.h' api to make your codes run, in general you will be able to use `hook_late_init` for initialization and `hook_keyboard_loop` for code running repeatedly. You can place your codes either in matrix.c or your keymap.c, btw.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/tmk_core/common/hook.h

Excellent. Adding it to my ever-expanding pile of things to digest.

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 17:22:10 »
I'm having a problem with mine, pressing some keys trigger multiple keypresses (pressing Backspace causes Backspace and = to trigger) Any idea what's happening? I went over my soldering and don't think that's the issue.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 21:31:12 »
When pressing = Backspace is registered also?

First, flash default firmware downloaded from keymap editor if you flashed your own firmware.
If not I think there is short circuit somewere in pcb.

Next install tool like elitekeyboards.com switchhitter and check if there are other keys that trriger multiple or weird keypress. Backspace is located on K27 and = on K17, so you will have to check keys on K1*, K2* and K*7 closely in particular.

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 09:45:38 »
I would love to make a 60% AEK but would rather not have to desolder all those switches. Is there anywhere to source Alps switches besides old keyboards?

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 16:21:53 »
Oh my gosh, thanks for all of these links!
I must admit I'm confused by all of the different types. I was planning on looking for orange or salmon ones, as those seem to get the best reviews. I'm seeing all sorts of different colors in the links to taobao, and everything is in Chinese to boot...
Can you recommend which option would be closest to orange or salmon? Thanks!

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 09:42:35 »
Oh my gosh, thanks for all of these links!
I must admit I'm confused by all of the different types. I was planning on looking for orange or salmon ones, as those seem to get the best reviews. I'm seeing all sorts of different colors in the links to taobao, and everything is in Chinese to boot...
Can you recommend which option would be closest to orange or salmon? Thanks!

The black Alps are tactile and should be the closest feeling that you can get NOS. There is a lot of elitism against black Alps but IMO I think they are OK.

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 12:06:21 »
Cool, thanks again!

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 12:23:45 »
[post deleted, sorry]
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2019, 12:42:44 by swedishpiehole »