Author Topic: Aluminum case with 5th foot  (Read 1969 times)

Offline tron

Aluminum case with 5th foot
« on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 09:20:07 »
I was just looking at my Yamaha receiver and realized they changed the design to have a 5th foot in the center of the chassis. Here is the description on their site- "The A.R.T. (Anti-Resonance Technology) Wedge fifth foot is in the center of the unit. It dampens vibrations from the power transformer, power transistors and heat sinks, as well as vibrations that might be caused by the sound from the speakers. The A.R.T. Wedge fifth foot helps ensure that vibrations do not affect the sound quality."

Has anyone tried adding an extra 5th foot or bumpon in the center of their keyboard case? It does seem a bit overkill given the weight of a typical keyboard, however, it may help with dampening and rigidity (I assume this is why some mid/higher end aluminum cases have internal ribs).

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
Re: Aluminum case with 5th foot
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 12:47:53 »
That could make for a well planted board, and might slightly reduce flexing.

I wish the Exent kept the original design for the feet, having one large foot in the back that covers the length of the board. But I imagine sourcing a large rubber strip to stick to it would have been difficult. But it does have a 5th nubbin in the middle of the back foot.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 13:31:32 »
I think for sound dampening people just drop a towel under the keyboard then it eliminate any need for any foot at all lol.

Leopold also put thick felt cloth inside keyboard to absorb echo.

I'd imagine 5th leg help but other method probably work better.  :thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 13:40:17 »
The foot is directly in the center? I suppose you could try something like that, though a receiver is a much larger piece of equipment with more room to flex in the center and I don't think a fifth foot in the middle of a keyboard would make much of a difference. Some boards have a bunch of feet spread out in the middle of the back (like the RS78 which has 8 rubber bumpons (not really feet), 4 in the front, 4 in the back), but no board I've seen has a foot directly in the center. You'd need to make the foot a different height from those in the back to make sure it didn't wobble, unless you specifically designed the angles of the case with that in mind. Not really worth it imo, although this is directed at people who take time to apply switch stickers, so anything's possible
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 13:42:55 »
A cloth mousepad does wonders for sound dampening and will work a lot better than a exta contact point, as it will transfer less vibrations to the table which would amplify those.

The TX87/TX84 and the TXPad acutally came with correctly sized mats for that purpose. According to Kin25 these were made by a mousepad manufacturer. They were a bit softer and thicker than my other mousepads which offered a tiny bit more sound dampening.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 15:14:37 »
While it could depend a bit on the case, an aluminum keyboard shouldn't flex enough for it to make a difference, I know both of mine certainly are.

Not only are keyboard cases much smaller and have a second steel plate inside, this receiver is using riveted, stamped steel in a much larger chassis with a plastic fascia and not subject to the loads a keyboard has placed in it. If your feet are insufficient at dampening on an aluminum keyboard case, it's a problem with the feet, not the number of them. You need more to compensate for bad feet or flex, the latter of which you shouldn't have.

That said, this is the biggest bunch of B.S. marketing I've seen in a while.
It's a solid state system, vibration shouldn't have any effect on it at all, but of course this is geared at audiophiles... Many of whom bought Monster cables for digital connections. Seriously, don't buy into this B.S., if you do, I have a set of cables I'd like to sell you.

The idea that this improves sound is even more funny when you consider they turn right around and promote it's ability to handle streaming audio, which has some of the worst audio quality you can get. The home audio industry is a VERY tough market, they have to blow out of proportion ANY and all things.  Why? Because a good audio system from 15+ years ago works just as well today as it did when new. Did audio technology really advance enough to justify buying a new receiver, hell no. If you doubt it, go back and look at the promo page for that unit and look at how much of the page is actually about sound quality, they tell you all about the features, but not a thing about how much better it sounds compared to last years model or even the competition.

Never compare anything to the audio industry unless you want to make the other thing look bad.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 18:00:31 »
A good Alu case won't warp enough for it to matter. Stop buying ****ty parts. My LZ will be rock solid for the next hundred years.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Phenix

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 18:40:23 »
While it could depend a bit on the case, an aluminum keyboard shouldn't flex enough for it to make a difference, I know both of mine certainly are.

Not only are keyboard cases much smaller and have a second steel plate inside, this receiver is using riveted, stamped steel in a much larger chassis with a plastic fascia and not subject to the loads a keyboard has placed in it. If your feet are insufficient at dampening on an aluminum keyboard case, it's a problem with the feet, not the number of them. You need more to compensate for bad feet or flex, the latter of which you shouldn't have.

That said, this is the biggest bunch of B.S. marketing I've seen in a while.
It's a solid state system, vibration shouldn't have any effect on it at all, but of course this is geared at audiophiles... Many of whom bought Monster cables for digital connections. Seriously, don't buy into this B.S., if you do, I have a set of cables I'd like to sell you.

The idea that this improves sound is even more funny when you consider they turn right around and promote it's ability to handle streaming audio, which has some of the worst audio quality you can get. The home audio industry is a VERY tough market, they have to blow out of proportion ANY and all things.  Why? Because a good audio system from 15+ years ago works just as well today as it did when new. Did audio technology really advance enough to justify buying a new receiver, hell no. If you doubt it, go back and look at the promo page for that unit and look at how much of the page is actually about sound quality, they tell you all about the features, but not a thing about how much better it sounds compared to last years model or even the competition.

Never compare anything to the audio industry unless you want to make the other thing look bad.
I totally agree with you - audio from the past is often on-par with new-released boxes.

But obviously certain features are only on new receivers -  like bluetooth/WIFI/Spotify/what the hell else - tough one can integrate those features somehow on old ones as well.

What do you think of headphones?
is it an good idea to get an old pair? (beside the AKG K1000, I have nothing on my list which I would like to try some time).

Went with AKG K712 myself, as  they are comfy to wear with glasses on (and priced ok, got them in an sale). paired with Objective O2.
-Sennheiser 650s are also on my list.
I think for sound dampening people just drop a towel under the keyboard then it eliminate any need for any foot at all lol.

Leopold also put thick felt cloth inside keyboard to absorb echo.

I'd imagine 5th leg help but other method probably work better.  :thumb:
Winter is coming.

Offline tron

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 20:13:19 »
Thanks for the feedback. Indeed, I do have one of the cheaper alumium Taobao/Massdrop cases. The nicer black and silver Tex cases are currently sold out at the moment so it was the next best thing. I tried putting a layer of rubber/foam (drawer insert) inside my case and it works amazing. The whole keyboard feels and sounds better with the Zealo rebound/echo dampened.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 20:39:04 »
I don't put any case on my board. It's just a plate with switches, handwired, with a cloth underneath. Silent, solid, stable.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 01:01:25 »
What do you think of headphones?
I'm not an audiophile.  :))
That said, speakers are one place things have improved and even if they hadn't, speakers are mechanical and do wear out.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Phenix

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 05:27:50 »
I looked a bit into audiophilify some years back, and my wallet thanks me for switching to keyboards ;)
Winter is coming.

Offline keytohopiness

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 11:28:38 »
Our keyboards now need spikes for maximum hi-if.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 20:36:05 »
I looked a bit into audiophilify some years back, and my wallet thanks me for switching to keyboards ;)
Pawn shops are your friend for audio equipment.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More