Author Topic: [IC] Glow SA, Glow-in-the-Dark profiled SA, PRICES ADDED 2019-02-17  (Read 148235 times)

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
Re: [IC] Glow SA, Glow-in-the-Dark profiled SA
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 10:56:07 »
If there are any questions I can provide about them while they're in my hands, I'll try to answer them.

If you have white backlighting will it penetrate enough to make the keycaps glow?

Definitely not. These samples are an off-white, but they are totally opaque and thick-walled. No translucency whatsoever. Just like any other SA keyset, you'll get light bleeding between the keys, but nothing transmitting through them. It's yet to be seen how a GID plastic will be affected by bright LEDs though, given their modest translucency.

Offline NINJER

« Reply #351 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 15:37:27 »
I meant for GID caps, cause I thought you had samples, nvm.

Offline herpderpenberg

« Reply #352 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 00:38:45 »
I guess my whole thing, I like PBT over ABS to cut on the shine.  Shine might "blend" into these caps anyway with their transparent look with glow in the dark.  But they do have GID PBT through the glowing skull caps.  But I am more of a fan of that textured feel on typical PBT caps as well.

If there are any questions I can provide about them while they're in my hands, I'll try to answer them.

If you have white backlighting will it penetrate enough to make the keycaps glow?

Yep, this is with a blue backlight, but gets the point through.  More why I was interested in this set as a "dark room" set that I could read the legends with the back lighting.

Offline Max_P0

« Reply #353 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 01:09:02 »
wooo, very nice...!!!

Offline Macflag

« Reply #354 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 11:59:02 »
In for a 100%!

Offline grizzly_teddy

« Reply #355 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 10:41:48 »
So is this still an IC? GB coming at some point? I'm also curious about SA PBT, would love to get my hands on just one cap to see how it feels.
> The way GH looks now, to a regular person, it screams, "Oh dang, this is one of **those** sites for really devoted and weird people".

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #356 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 11:40:28 »
The endgame:
-SA
-PBT
-Sculptured

Offline mogo

« Reply #357 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 12:02:52 »
So is this still an IC? GB coming at some point? I'm also curious about SA PBT, would love to get my hands on just one cap to see how it feels.

Can't speak for emenelopee, but so far it seems like we're waiting on, A) confirmation that the new SA-P profile is ready for mass production (might be at this time, but I'm not personally sure), B) finalization of the sets and novelty designs (which is on emenelopee), and C) a place in line on SP's production schedule. Pretty sure that's where we're at right now. This thread is less of an IC at the moment (there's clearly more than enough interest) and more of a coordination and planning discussion.

If you really want to, you can buy the SA-P sample pack to feel a few of the keys out yourself, but I'll tell you right now that it just feels like SA keys with the subtle graininess of PBT. It's good.  :thumb:

Offline grizzly_teddy

« Reply #358 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 15:54:28 »
I think I missed something, these keys are dye-subbed? So the new pbt SA that SP is doing - it is dye sub only?

Either way I think it would be really cool to get blank sets of pbt!
> The way GH looks now, to a regular person, it screams, "Oh dang, this is one of **those** sites for really devoted and weird people".

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #359 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 16:57:13 »
I think I missed something, these keys are dye-subbed? So the new pbt SA that SP is doing - it is dye sub only?

Since these are PBT they're dyesubbed, which is a big draw of the set. Currently PBT is difficult to doubleshot with good results like ABS is, so it's dyesubbed instead, which ABS cannot be.

Offline mogo

« Reply #360 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 18:45:48 »

Glow is going to be dye-subbed. See this post for an example of why doubleshotting would be bad on this set. I think donutcat may be right, but I'm not sure if SP won't doubleshot SA-P, I only know that Glow isn't going to.

Offline herpderpenberg

« Reply #361 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 01:18:05 »
So, I'm new to the comments but just wanted to put my 2 cents into the novelties.

To me, any sort of "exit" sign would be along the lines of ESC, Backspace, Del and not really so much on the theme of a Shift or Enter key. 

I'm not really feeling the Edison bulb novelties.  IMO, they just look too hand drawn, maybe having a more uniform look to them and cleaned up.  But maybe doing some sort of "Secret of the Ooze" canister from the TMNT movie, put a glowing spider for Spider Man reference?  There's maybe some references to 1950's movies that all had "Attack of the 50 foot ____" so maybe giant ants attacking a building?

1u keys - LOVE the Lego faces for the skeleton and ghost, but I'd be curious if that would come into a license issue.  Same goes for the Lambda, as they had to license it from Valve (at least if you're using the same Half-Life game Lambda).  Ones I feel would be required are toxic, biohazard, radiation warning symbols.  I like the flask and caution signs that were rejected earler.   Not really a fan of the gems and geometric ones.  I just don't see them fitting the theme.

Ideally 12 for the F keys and then 1 (Escape Sign running out door) for ESC.  Throw in something for mute, volume up/down, calculator for R1.

Some other ideas for 1u- Gas Masks (WW1, WW2, modern Special Forces), Glowing Spider, Alien face (ideally Alien movie with acid dripping from mouth but can be traditional Roswell alien), Dial Clock (although early GID clocks with Radium had glowing numbers/arms), Vomit Emoji (maybe better in 1.25u), Giant crystal like rock that comes from a planet K,  acid burn warning sign, Anglerfish (maybe 1.25u), glow bug (actual bug or old kids toy), 6 fingered hand, Troll toy face, (doubt it for license issues) but Slimer, Minecraft Creeper (again, probably license issue), jack-o-lantern, googly eyes, shifty eyes

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #362 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 05:02:05 »
You know this is going to spawn a bunch of glow-in-the-dark case projects too,right? :D

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #363 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 07:15:41 »
So, I'm new to the comments but just wanted to put my 2 cents into the novelties.

To me, any sort of "exit" sign would be along the lines of ESC, Backspace, Del and not really so much on the theme of a Shift or Enter key. 

I'm not really feeling the Edison bulb novelties.  IMO, they just look too hand drawn, maybe having a more uniform look to them and cleaned up.  But maybe doing some sort of "Secret of the Ooze" canister from the TMNT movie, put a glowing spider for Spider Man reference?  There's maybe some references to 1950's movies that all had "Attack of the 50 foot ____" so maybe giant ants attacking a building?

1u keys - LOVE the Lego faces for the skeleton and ghost, but I'd be curious if that would come into a license issue.  Same goes for the Lambda, as they had to license it from Valve (at least if you're using the same Half-Life game Lambda).  Ones I feel would be required are toxic, biohazard, radiation warning symbols.  I like the flask and caution signs that were rejected earler.   Not really a fan of the gems and geometric ones.  I just don't see them fitting the theme.

Ideally 12 for the F keys and then 1 (Escape Sign running out door) for ESC.  Throw in something for mute, volume up/down, calculator for R1.

Some other ideas for 1u- Gas Masks (WW1, WW2, modern Special Forces), Glowing Spider, Alien face (ideally Alien movie with acid dripping from mouth but can be traditional Roswell alien), Dial Clock (although early GID clocks with Radium had glowing numbers/arms), Vomit Emoji (maybe better in 1.25u), Giant crystal like rock that comes from a planet K,  acid burn warning sign, Anglerfish (maybe 1.25u), glow bug (actual bug or old kids toy), 6 fingered hand, Troll toy face, (doubt it for license issues) but Slimer, Minecraft Creeper (again, probably license issue), jack-o-lantern, googly eyes, shifty eyes
Would love to see the gas mask

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #364 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 19:10:18 »

+1

Offline NINJER

« Reply #365 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 02:26:07 »

Would love to see that also, but there are a lot of icons to choose from, maybe this one?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzvv0VvTX1byTbYnIC3s85zuTg6AFHUOiqwwRSkaRtqV6CYLE4

Also as I mentioned earlier, maybe fallout inspired keycaps?

Like these for example

http://dl.hiapphere.com/data/thumb/201507/HiAppHere_com_com.natewren.piptecgreen_1.png

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #366 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 12:50:35 »
Are the kits final yet?

I would love to see a stepped control key in row 3 profile.
With this included it will be an instant buy.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #367 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 18:43:45 »
these two came into my mind as 1 u novelties: https://imgur.com/a/DzmnwZM

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #368 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 21:00:04 »
Really cool set, really liking the lego novelties.

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #369 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 19:36:10 »
Hello all! I finally got around to sending the set to SP for pricing with the caveat that the novelties are still to be done. The main gist is that I want to get the set made first and foremost, so the size of the novelty set, and therefore the process of finalizing which stay in and which go, will depend on the per-key cost. It should be a fairly quick exercise.

It's been a bit of a bumpy ride relocating but things are now moving ahead with gusto.

As to the talks of the new PBT. As mogo says, the samples are damned chunky, and as they're not double-shot they're thick all the way to the base without the little step that double-shot have. The rough/matte finish is a bit of a shame, and my personal preference is for smooth gloss, but we are where we are. It's not a show-stopper.

Thanks everyone for maintaining interest and keeping the party going, main event is almost ready to go!

TLDR:

- sent for pricing and schedule
- total set cost, novelty pricing brackets
- select novelties
- finalise final
- GB start

Offline mogo

« Reply #370 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 20:42:52 »
WoooooOOO!  ;D

I'm so ready for this set to happen! I've been a good boy and haven't bought any sets all year, and between this one and the Diablo set, I'm ready to cash in!

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #371 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 23:26:02 »
Ah ! Finally an update on this !!! Looking forward to this !!!

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #372 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 02:43:45 »
Hello all! I finally got around to sending the set to SP for pricing with the caveat that the novelties are still to be done. The main gist is that I want to get the set made first and foremost, so the size of the novelty set, and therefore the process of finalizing which stay in and which go, will depend on the per-key cost. It should be a fairly quick exercise.

It's been a bit of a bumpy ride relocating but things are now moving ahead with gusto.

As to the talks of the new PBT. As mogo says, the samples are damned chunky, and as they're not double-shot they're thick all the way to the base without the little step that double-shot have. The rough/matte finish is a bit of a shame, and my personal preference is for smooth gloss, but we are where we are. It's not a show-stopper.

Thanks everyone for maintaining interest and keeping the party going, main event is almost ready to go!

TLDR:

- select novelties
- finalise final
- GB start
don’t want to be annoying but have you thought about the inclusion of the stepped control key?

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #373 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 04:05:45 »

TLDR:

- select novelties
- finalise final
- GB start
don’t want to be annoying but have you thought about the inclusion of the stepped control key?

Plz

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #374 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 06:25:55 »
+1 <3

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #375 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 20:09:05 »
Welp, SP just confirmed the dye-sub machine is not yet ready. Waiting for an ETA.

Feel free to do your timesheets, call your mother, or clean the fridge in the meantime.

RE: stepped ctrl, no but it's unlikely. Ctrl on R3 is already niche, you three are probably the sum total of the demand.

Also, I forgot to add, 6u and 3u space is out in PBT - SP doesn't have the moulds. I am bummed RE: the 3u but the show must go on.

Offline ThomasTH

« Reply #376 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 00:49:53 »
I would also love to have stepped CTRL :)

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #377 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 02:06:09 »
I would also love to have stepped CTRL :)
the inclusion of it would be amazing

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #378 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 05:23:02 »
With these problems SP seems to be having and delaying, I wonder if other companies have the means to create GiTD sets. GMK, JTK, Keyreative and others I don't know about. Just wondering.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #379 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 05:24:21 »
With these problems SP seems to be having and delaying, I wonder if other companies have the means to create GiTD sets. GMK, JTK, Keyreative and others I don't know about. Just wondering.
Maybe but definitely not in SA

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #380 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 13:23:58 »

I'd be okay with the set not being in SA, personally. It just has to GLOW  ;D

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #381 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 00:27:48 »
maybe KAT or MT3 ?

Both are PBT as well...

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #382 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 06:09:12 »
For me, pbt is a must for this set

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #383 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 08:16:26 »
I think this would be one of the few sets I'd ever explicitly prefer in ABS. Who wouldn't want extra shininess? :D

Offline grizzly_teddy

« Reply #384 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 13:37:05 »
This set is a really cool idea. I am also waiting on SA to finish their pbt tooling so I can get some pbt blanks.

Side note, I am getting 100x ABS R3 1u glow in the dark pieces. Not sure why I got them, but looking forward to seeing how 'glowy' they really are.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #385 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 01:36:32 »

I disagree imo. I would definitely prefer sculpted SA and would wait.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #386 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 04:38:43 »

I disagree imo. I would definitely prefer sculpted SA and would wait.
Me too

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
« Reply #387 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 04:49:39 »
+1 for the extra 2.25 shift and definitely happy to wait for SA.
Not interested in any other profile :)
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #388 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 22:13:20 »
any update/new info on this ? Is SP ready with the PBT tooling ? the last update on the PMK website said they were pretty close, then radio silence... Do you guys have any update ?

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #389 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 00:17:21 »
any update/new info on this ? Is SP ready with the PBT tooling ? the last update on the PMK website said they were pretty close, then radio silence... Do you guys have any update ?

Offline grizzly_teddy

« Reply #390 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 12:35:38 »
I got a bunch of PBT caps in grab bags, but none of them were glow in the dark. Just white and gray

Offline Kavik

« Reply #391 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 02:12:27 »
I think this would be one of the few sets I'd ever explicitly prefer in ABS. Who wouldn't want extra shininess? :D

I agree. If it's smooth and shiny, it's just like the glow in the dark Lego ghost and skeleton!
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #392 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 22:21:00 »
Hello all. The sad news is there is no movement or ETA on the dye-sub of the new PBT caps. I realise this whole process is dragging on a bit but we are at the mercy of SP and their machines.

As a quick poll, would anyone be interested in an all-blank set in the interim? I'm approx 43% into this idea, the concern is it would cannibalise the full set, so perhaps a little tester of a 60% or similar? Just floating it out there while we twiddle our thumbs or stare wistfully into the rainy night.

Otherwise, as you were, next update will hopefully be positive.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #393 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 22:32:50 »
I like the idea but I personally will be saving my money for the legended kits.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #394 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 02:05:40 »
I'll wait for the legends as well. That being said, I would buy a sampler kit (a taste for the various key sizes ?)  if it were under $25  ;D

Offline equalunique

« Reply #395 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 20:40:11 »
Thanks for the update. I'd take blanks of it were for an ergo/ortho set, but not for something with a standard layout like what this IC has been for.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 October 2018, 07:31:01 by equalunique »

Offline NINJER

« Reply #396 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 22:12:08 »
Definitely would wait for legends.

I want ABS though, just strongly feel it matches glow components VS PBT.

I already have so many PBT sets, 0 ABS sets.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #397 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 00:57:22 »
I'd take a blank set, seeing as the legended set doesn't look like it will have support for Colemak :)

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #398 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 05:25:50 »
I would wait for the legends and PBT for sure

Offline scud80

« Reply #399 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 10:23:23 »
i have 70ish 1u r3 glow blanks in ABS if anybody wants to see what they look like together on a board.

also this pic was fun: