Author Topic: Needing guidance on rubber dome  (Read 3343 times)

Offline cripplesbastard

Needing guidance on rubber dome
« on: Mon, 04 September 2023, 18:47:02 »
Hey guys, I have given up on this issue for many years even though I know there is a theoretical solution, although it may not yet exist for me. Rubber dometyl gave me hope for the future but in the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any suggestions.

I play on a logitech k120, it's a ****ty keyboard many people here hate. Despite this, it's the only keyboard I can use with my connective tissue disease. I have tried many different mechanicals, including customs, Wooting, etc. I have modded switches, swapped and clipped springs, and many other things barring tactile switches. Linear is what I used to play on when I was competitive but I no longer can due to my worsening condition. Certain games I had to drop entirely because the lack of 1000hz was too much of a loss for me to avoid pushing beyond my limits on a keyboard that doesn't suit me. Even just pressing space a few times on a mech is enough to flare me up for weeks, so naturally I haven't experimented as much as I would like (money is also an issue with the damn medical bills). I theorize the collapsing rubber dome does not resist my tendons like a coiled spring would, allowing for my comfort despite the heavier actuation force.

Everything about the k120 is perfect for me aside from the response time. I really want a keyboard exactly like this, or as close as possible with a proper latency for precise inputs. Something about the linear force curve versus a curve that falls after actuation just absolutely destroys my weakening tendons. I also wonder if heavier switches might actually counterintuitively be better for my issues (overuse vs underuse) I have simply never really tried them, always opting to go lower and lower.

I understand why people hate the k120, it's cheap, mushy, hard to type on, harder to press than linear, etc. I don't know why but it's the only board that doesn't cause me pain. Typical ergonomic advice isn't enough for me because I have a rare condition. The low profile and comfortable actuation of this board is the only reason I can still game with my friends but I miss having that precise control that allowed me to do complicated one-frame inputs.

I realize there is no real demand for this sort of thing, since it's a very niche concern that I have. I don't care about build quality and other things that a keyboard enthusiast might, simply miss having the precise and pain-free comfort I used to enjoy before this illness. If anyone has a suggestion it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I'm breaking rules, or stepping on toes--I only skimmed the guidelines.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 September 2023, 18:53:20 by cripplesbastard »

Offline atarione

Re: Needing guidance on rubber dome
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 September 2023, 22:44:12 »
Would something like the Cherry Stream keyboards have any potential for you?   There is also a full size version .. scissors switch keyboard.. my wife has used a Logitech K740 since 2007~ which was also a scissor switch keyboard she loves the K740 which is sadly discontinued.. but the Cherry is cheap if you wanted to give it a go?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 September 2023, 10:15:41 »
Ever tried a low profile ergo split with Choc pink switches or maybe 30G Topre switches?
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2023, 10:34:58 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 September 2023, 19:14:30 »
I don't know a lot about rubber domes, but light EC switches seem pretty ergonomic. Even a (lubed, hand-silenced) 45 G Topre is pretty soft.

I bet 30-35 G Niz is easy to type on and relatively affordable. It's gotta be better than a K120, surely! But I don't know what it is about the K120's force curve that helps you.

I have a Cherry stream keyboard, and it's nice for what it is. But it doesn't seem particularly 'soft.' Reminds me more of a scissor-switch laptop keyboard. Not sure I would prescribe it for ergonomics. Although it is very flat and pretty consistent.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 07:24:34 »
maybe try topre with aftermarket domes/oem 30g?
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D