Author Topic: Help with a keyboard that has developed spacebar chatter  (Read 1102 times)

Offline 4rm

Help with a keyboard that has developed spacebar chatter
« on: Sun, 31 March 2024, 14:29:31 »
I've had a Leopold FC750R with Cherry Mx Clears for about 6 years now, and it's recently developed some chatter on the spacebar.

After testing with https://keyboard.dmitrijs.lv/, I'm seeing 3/301 presses are due to chatter, with 41ms being the minimum time elapsed.

Yesterday, I replaced the switch, but the issue is occurring with roughly the same frequency (maybe it's a little better? but definitely not resolved).

After replacing the switch, I'm unsure how to proceed. This is my first and only mechanical keyboard, and yesterday was the first time I soldered key switches or otherwise performed any maintenance on a keyboard, so I'm a bit green.

Is there anything I should look in to? Thank you.

Offline ParkerHayes

Re: Help with a keyboard that has developed spacebar chatter
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 April 2024, 06:38:11 »
Have you found something useful?

Offline 4rm

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 April 2024, 00:23:38 »
I installed some software (https://github.com/aahung/Unshaky / https://github.com/mcmonkeyprojects/KeyboardChatterBlocker) to detect and ignore the duplicates, but the hardware remains broken.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 April 2024, 05:41:22 »
You need to replace that switch (or install software that reduces chatter, beware scams/viruses).

Lots of switches chatter, it's just that some are worse than others, most firmware has a setting that helps counter it but it's not something you can adjust easily. In general once they exceed the threshold the only fix is to replace the switch or install aftermarket software to extend that time.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline 4rm

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 April 2024, 21:19:59 »
Thanks, but I did replace the switch. I was surprised to see the spacebar still chattering even after that. I'm using the software workarounds now, but I'm still wondering what caused the sudden chattering if it wasn't the switch.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 April 2024, 22:08:14 »
Thanks, but I did replace the switch. I was surprised to see the spacebar still chattering even after that. I'm using the software workarounds now, but I'm still wondering what caused the sudden chattering if it wasn't the switch.
Could be crosstalk but I'd wonder if it was hit by static shock..
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion