Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3514143 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #11900 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 08:17:24 »

I'm guessing that is what I need, but can someone confirm? Also, would that work for an IBM Model F PC AT or XT? Because I intend to get one of those when one becomes available at a good price.

Orihalcon's adapter should work, and it will definitely be good for the IBMs.

Sometimes XT keyboards do not "play well with others" but yours is probably newer than that, and might well work with a simple straight-through passive adapter.

If you are getting into old keyboards, you need a box of adapters for going back and forth between epochs.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11901 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 08:21:57 »
I found a switch on the side of mine. Three options: X, A and S. I'm guessing that's XT, AT and... Something.

I don't intend to have a huge collection of old keyboards, but it certainly seems to be going that way. I have two Alps boards and I don't particularly like either of them. The ones I really want are the Model Fs. It's a shame because a while ago I saw someone selling his old IBM PC for $50 AUD on gumtree. I asked him if he'd sell the keyboard by itself (because he lived in the middle of nowhere and I didn't want to pay postage fees for the computer) but I neglected to mention that I was willing to pay the $50 he wanted for the whole lot + postage, and I let it go. It was a Model F XT.

I'm regretting that now.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11902 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 10:57:59 »
So I keep an eye on ebay's vintage computers section filtered by the "keyboard" keyword and last week something came up. $22 for an unidentified old-timey keyboard labelled as "clicky" by the seller, with free postage, Buy It Now. I'm sure it costs at least that just to post it to me.

Anyway, it showed up today and sure enough, White alps. Now I'm wondering if you guys can identify it, because I think it's rebranded.

Pictures

I mean it could be a Datacomp XT or AT clone but honestly, it's just as plausible as being a Deltacom KB20167554.

Will TEX TKL cases for Filcos work on Leopold's? I've heard a lot of people say Filcos are very similar to Leopolds so I've been curious about this for a while now. The measurements on Mechanicalkeyboards.com list both TEX and Vortex at 14.20" which would be 360mm (what my Leopold measures).

I'm curious if KBParadise V80's will fit  in the TEX TKL cases.   I would consider putting a V80 MTS with matias switches in one if it's compatible.

I think the mounting points are different between Filco and Leopold. I'd PM the guys (JoshMK and 00zerO) at MK.com and ask.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #11903 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 01:05:49 »
Switch placement for an ISO enter, anyone have dimensions?

*JQ looks over at JD
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #11904 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:05:51 »

*JQ looks over at JD

Do you need exact dimensions like for a plate design Joey?

I could definitely pop one of and check or take pics, but Im not sure about the exact placements of the cutouts.  :)
Couldn't you make a layout with iso enter in the layout editor and put the raw data in the plate builder tool? I never tried something like this...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #11905 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:08:10 »

*JQ looks over at JD

I could definitely pop one of and check or take pics, but Im not sure about the exact placements of the cutouts.  :)
Couldn't you make a layout with iso enter in the layout editor and put the raw data in the plate builder tool? I never tried something like this...

I think I took care of it for him. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #11906 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:30:08 »

*JQ looks over at JD

I think I took care of it for him. :)

:thumb: Thanks again, you'll be seeing the results soon.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline retainerbox

• meow
« Reply #11907 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 17:52:35 »
Why is a Tsangan set of keys called Tsangan?? :)

ErgoDox/Magic Girl, AVA/Islander,  ALU68/Godspeed, VOID40/Dark Magic Girl

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine

Offline Dark_wizzie

« Reply #11909 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 22:12:09 »
Q:
Anybody know a PBT keycap set that is designed to work with a keyboard with leds under the switch?
Beep Boop

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #11910 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 22:24:02 »
Q:
Anybody know a PBT keycap set that is designed to work with a keyboard with leds under the switch?

Double shot PBT Caps for backlighting are kind of rare, due to difficulties caused by shrinkage issues with PBT afaik.

Vortex does make doube shot backlit PBTs for example tho and they actually happen to be on massdrop atm...  :)

Offline Dark_wizzie

« Reply #11911 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 22:53:50 »
Q:

Double shot PBT Caps for backlighting are kind of rare, due to difficulties caused by shrinkage issues with PBT afaik.

Vortex does make doube shot backlit PBTs for example tho and they actually happen to be on massdrop atm...  :)
Big problem: They are designed with the led above the switch. Backlighting won't work with YOTH and those keycaps unless I install it upsidedown.
Beep Boop

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11912 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 02:10:42 »
So, I was dumb enough to take off my Das Keyboard's spacebar while checking its state of cleanliness. Does anyone know how to put this thing back on? I haven't seen this type of stabiliser setup on my other boards.

More

Yes, that is cat hair.

Edit: Ugh, figured it out. I do not like this keyboard.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2015, 02:52:06 by Ludovician »
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Rose

« Reply #11913 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 08:14:22 »
Is in possible to program one key to be a sequence of characters? Like a password?  I will probably use TMK firmware.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11914 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 08:27:28 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:36 by alienman82 »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #11915 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 09:36:09 »
So, I was dumb enough to take off my Das Keyboard's spacebar while checking its state of cleanliness. Does anyone know how to put this thing back on? I haven't seen this type of stabiliser setup on my other boards.

More
Show Image

Yes, that is cat hair.

This video should help you out:

Note that the longer end of the stabilizer faces the back side of the key cap.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11916 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 09:44:08 »

More
Show Image

Yes, that is cat hair.

This video should help you out:

Note that the longer end of the stabilizer faces the back side of the key cap.

Thanks. I already got it, but it's good to have confirmation that I did it right.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #11917 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:21:05 »
I just bought an IBM Model F AT which needs adhesive removal and cleaning of the case and switches.  Any specific products which work well?  I've read that denture tablets or detergent mixed with warm water works for the caps, and I've read that lighter fluid works for adhesive leftovers.  Anyone have any success with this?

Show Image

Show Image

My preferred methods for caps:
1) mesh bag in the dishwasher
2) denture tabs, use as directed

Goo gone for the stuff on the bottom, follow with lighter fluid to finish residue removal. Or use wife/girlfriend's nail polish remover.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11918 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:32:10 »
I just bought an IBM Model F AT which needs adhesive removal and cleaning of the case and switches.  Any specific products which work well?  I've read that denture tablets or detergent mixed with warm water works for the caps, and I've read that lighter fluid works for adhesive leftovers.  Anyone have any success with this?

Show Image

Show Image

Oh hey, I recognise that sticker on the back. I just bought one of the other boards from that guy a day or two ago. Should arrive within a couple of weeks. Pretty exciting.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11919 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:44:39 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:33 by alienman82 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11920 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:49:42 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:32 by alienman82 »

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11921 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:50:22 »
Oh, that's convenient. I'm getting it shipped to Australia. Cost about $35 USD, which honestly isn't too bad for something that heavy/bulky.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11922 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:56:10 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:30 by alienman82 »

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11923 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:58:16 »
Nice.

Is the controller replacement a difficult thing to do? I haven't even looked into what's needed for one.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11924 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 11:01:06 »
Also, is lighter fluid / goo gone safe on the caps?  There were some stickers I removed from them.

I use lighter fluid (naptha) often but remember to work quickly and then remove all traces of it immediately (I use an alcohol wipe-down followed by a wet sponge, at the minimum).
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11925 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 11:01:47 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:28 by alienman82 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11926 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 11:09:47 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:27 by alienman82 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11927 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 11:29:35 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:25 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11928 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 11:41:04 »
Is in possible to program one key to be a sequence of characters? Like a password?  I will probably use TMK firmware.

Yes. Program a macro.

More
Show Image

Yes, that is cat hair.

Just for future reference, it's a Costar stabilizer.

Nice.

Is the controller replacement a difficult thing to do? I haven't even looked into what's needed for one.

The xwhatsit controller I installed on my Kishsaver wasn't too hard to do. Just a little nerve-wracking 'cause I didn't want to damage the board.

Show Image

Show Image

I use GooGone to remove sticker adhesive from keyboards and video game cartridges. Should be fine on the caps.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11929 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 12:37:11 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:23 by alienman82 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11930 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 12:51:29 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:22 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11931 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 13:58:52 »
How did you find your Kishaver exactly?  I know they're rare, but I'd love to get one eventually.
Tinlong found a bunch and sold them in a GB. I proxied for NA. They were mainly used in banks but it's been hard to get banks to give them up to us. And not many pop up at ewaste recyclers.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11932 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 21:37:00 »
Does anyone know if it'd be safe for me to plug my GON into a power bank to test the led's? I don't have a PC and want to test the smd led's before soldering everything else and putting it together.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #11933 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 21:40:16 »
Does anyone know if it'd be safe for me to plug my GON into a power bank to test the led's? I don't have a PC and want to test the smd led's before soldering everything else and putting it together.

Are you talking about a USB power source of some kind, like a hub?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11934 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 21:42:00 »

Like a portable battery charger, I also have regular wall charger I was thinking of using.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11935 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 21:55:53 »

Like a portable battery charger, I also have regular wall charger I was thinking of using.

As long as it outputs standard 5V USB, I can't imagine it hurting it.

I have my Poker plugged into a powered hu even when my computer isn't there so my Esc key stays lit.
I'm back.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11936 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 21:58:06 »

I have my Poker plugged into a powered hu even when my computer isn't there so my Esc key stays lit.

Thanks heed, that's what I imagined but I figured that I better ask people smarter than me XD
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11937 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 22:02:57 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:19 by alienman82 »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11938 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 22:04:34 »

Thanks heed, that's what I imagined but I figured that I better ask people smarter than me XD

No prob man good luck with your new job situation...and finishing your GON before you're...er...gone.
I'm back.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11939 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 22:06:52 »
Got the model F foam off in one piece:

Show Image

Anyone know how to remove this rust:

Show Image

May give a call to a local sandblaster/powdercoater, but I would like to know if there is any simpler way.

Thank You!

Evapo-Rust is awesome. CLR may work too, but I haven't tried it. I know other people might recommend other things.  I do know that I need to strip down my F AT and replace the foam and re-powder coat it though.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11940 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 22:53:15 »
Speaking of foam replacement, I'm guessing you need to get some foam of a similar thickness to the one found in the Model F, and cut those holes in it. How precise does that need to be?

I have no idea yet if I'll need to replace the foam in the one I'll be getting.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11941 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 22:58:24 »
I know some people use leather punches.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11942 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:14:46 »
Speaking of foam replacement, I'm guessing you need to get some foam of a similar thickness to the one found in the Model F, and cut those holes in it. How precise does that need to be?

I have no idea yet if I'll need to replace the foam in the one I'll be getting.

Fohat.dig's uses a 5/8" hole punch to cut the holes. Foam thickness is 1/16". Apparently this foam can be found at art supply stores.

Apparently you only need to replace the foam if it's really bad. The_Beast reused his sheet.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11943 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:15:51 »
Of course, if you already have it open, you might as well add some life and value by replacing it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11944 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:18:33 »
Of course, if you already have it open, you might as well add some life and value by replacing it.

I reused the foam in my 6019284. If it still works, why not just reuse it?

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #11945 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:23:45 »
Why leeku pcb not working on 64 bit?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11946 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:26:56 »

That foam looks pretty good. I have re-used worse, as long as it stays in one piece.

It doesn't do all that much really, except bed the barrel bases and keep them from rattling.

Tape the new foam to the metal plate and spray paint through the holes to mark them.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11947 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:29:07 »

I'm just thinking long-term.  I think people put a higher value on refurbished items and it's minimal work and cost since it's already open.  Might as well just replace it, extend the life a little, and increase the resale value a little.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11948 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:31:50 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:17 by alienman82 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11949 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:34:51 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:16 by alienman82 »