Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3500291 times)

Offline asgeirtj

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #11850 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 19:29:16 »
Has anyone done a variable weighting Cherry MX mod a'la Topre style?  And if not, doesn't that mean that this variable weighting idea is probably not good?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11851 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 19:33:16 »
Has anyone done a variable weighting Cherry MX mod a'la Topre style?  And if not, doesn't that mean that this variable weighting idea is probably not good?
I've seen a few permutations of variable cherry but none to the extent of variable topre.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #11852 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 19:37:30 »
Llast time I talked to them, minimum order was $100 for anything that has to be manufactured regardless of volume.

I'm sure this is correct.
:'( ouch, I guess I need to buy 25then

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #11853 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 20:38:51 »
Llast time I talked to them, minimum order was $100 for anything that has to be manufactured regardless of volume.

I'm sure this is correct.
:'( ouch, I guess I need to buy 25then

What is this for? Unless it's for a completely one-off custom thing you can probably find at least one other buyer.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11854 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 21:45:38 »

I've never seen this. I personally hate if a keyboard doesn't have uniform switches so I haven't bothered with it. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Some people claim it's good for ergonomics.

Does anyone use very thick GH lube anywhere on their tactile cherry mx switches?  Seems like everyone just uses thick.  I saw that ming on the mx lubing thread recommended very thick on the front of the stem, anyone do that?

Also, is very thick maybe better than thick on stabilizers?

I've been reading a lot on lubing methods but seems there is a lot of conflicting information, what do you think if this lubing strategy?:

I'm lubing mx clears, i lube the top and bottom of the spring just barely with GH spring lube, just make it wet, the lube doesn't show after application.  I lube the sides of the stem pretty well, apply generously, with gh thick lube.  On the front of the stem i put some but a lot less.  I don't lube any of the lower housing since it's really just the same places as the stem.  (however ming says that the bottom channels and not the sides of stem are worth lubing, i see this as the one and same place, why are the channels prefered?)

Lubing strategy? Lube it one way, test it, see if you like it, then adjust accordingly.

I lube all the friction points as shown in MMB's guide as well as around the housing. So the faces where the legs are and opposite the face.

I think you're over thinking lubing. Just apply it all round the stem and underneath if you like. I don't bother mixing different types of lube for different areas because I don't think it matters. Thick for clears, very thick for Topre, and I just mix until I'm happy with the viscosity for linears.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11855 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 22:22:37 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:33:07 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11856 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 22:35:52 »
why are the realforce topre keypads so expensive??? (even for topre)

Niche product (keypad) for a niche demographic (Topre Users) for a niche market (mechanical keyboards)

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #11857 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 00:05:33 »
is powder coating the only option to change the color of an anodized alu housing? i read that the process involves stripping the anodization off, curious as to how this is done.

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #11858 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 00:11:54 »
is powder coating the only option to change the color of an anodized alu housing? i read that the process involves stripping the anodization off, curious as to how this is done.
No, you can re-anodize metal housings, plastic can only be painted or plasti-dipped.
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #11859 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 00:16:04 »

Pretty much any anodize shop can strip anodize, because that's what they have to do if they mess something up the first time. But, just know that this will slightly change the size of the housing, since the anodize isn't an additive coating (like paint), but it actually chemically alters the outer layers of aluminum molecules. So removing that first anodize "shell" shrinks the part.

EDIT: Just to be clear, anodize does add to the overall size but it also penetrates inward a bit (unlike paint).
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 00:17:59 by njbair »

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #11860 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 00:34:04 »
No, you can re-anodize metal housings, plastic can only be painted or plasti-dipped.
re-anodizing (i.e. adding a second layer of anodize on top) is not a good idea from what i've read. paint should work fine though, i forgot you can do that

Pretty much any anodize shop can strip anodize, because that's what they have to do if they mess something up the first time. But, just know that this will slightly change the size of the housing, since the anodize isn't an additive coating (like paint), but it actually chemically alters the outer layers of aluminum molecules. So removing that first anodize "shell" shrinks the part.

EDIT: Just to be clear, anodize does add to the overall size but it also penetrates inward a bit (unlike paint).
none of the links i read mentioned this part, thanks! what i'm trying to do is to recreate the two-tone Orion look on my Octagon: (blue and black in place of silver). would you also recommend paint for this purpose?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11861 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 00:36:56 »
re-anodizing (i.e. adding a second layer of anodize on top) is not a good idea from what i've read. paint should work fine though, i forgot you can do that

none of the links i read mentioned this part, thanks! what i'm trying to do is to recreate the two-tone Orion look on my Octagon: (blue and black in place of silver). would you also recommend paint for this purpose?
Show Image

Pretty sure you can just remove the anodization layer then anodize again with the dyes of your choice. IE get the top half anodized with grey dye and the bottom with blue dye. For better information than reading online, you could always call a local anodization shop and ask them for more details.

Edit: Photoelectric re-anodized an LZ-GH and I've never heard any complaints.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 00:40:02 by CPTBadAss »

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #11862 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 01:21:13 »
^ that is one heck of a compelling read. as to your suggestion, i'd like to retain the blue gray color somehow, it seems very hard to reproduce. i'll see if it's possible to just strip the anodizing off half of the board, and if not i'll resort to paint. but yes i'll definitely get in touch with some anodizing shops for details

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #11863 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 09:30:15 »
Does anybody know what the effect would be if you put clear switch tops (eg from a Gateron) on a switch with front mounted LEDs?or can you not put LEDs through gaterons?

I just realised I would have to unsolder all the LEDs...  :confused:

I should probably learn how to solder and de-solder...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #11864 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 09:39:42 »
The bolts go on the internals so it won't affect the way the keyboard sits on a desk.

Thanks for confirming this. I didn't think it made sense when I saw someone say that.
Sometimes the bolts towards the bottom/front have been known to press against the case and warp it, if the mod was not done properly. This could be why some bolt modded boards wouldn't sit flat. But as long as everything fits during reassembly without jamming it, everything should be fine.

I remember I had to flip a few bolts (nut in front on the barrel plate and bolt from the rear) on the front so I could insert the assembly into the notches on the inside of the case.  I'll update this with a picture tomorrow to better explain this.

The nut and bolt in red had to be reversed so that it is flush on the bottom side.  This allows the assembly to slide into the clips on the inside of the case (in green).

95558-0

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11865 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 09:47:59 »
I appreciate the picture. Thanks.

Also looks like that board was better cleaned than mine:
More
Sorry for potato.

I probably could have done a better job.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #11866 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 10:01:25 »
I appreciate the picture. Thanks.

Also looks like that board was better cleaned than mine:
More
Sorry for potato.
Show Image

I probably could have done a better job.

You're welcome!

I must admit to some light brushing before that picture was taken. :p

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11867 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 10:03:57 »
I just opened mine two days ago to clean it for the first time since I got it. I was surprised how little filth was in it considering its age.

It could have been a lot worse.

I decided that I need to bolt-mod it because 12 rivet ends fell out during the process.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11868 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 10:35:45 »
Does anybody know what the effect would be if you put clear switch tops (eg from a Gateron) on a switch with front mounted LEDs?or can you not put LEDs through gaterons?

You can definitely put LEDs in Gateron switches. I've not tried it but I'd imagine it would look like a more muted version of backlit Matias switches.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #11869 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 11:18:18 »

Show Image

You can definitely put LEDs in Gateron switches. I've not tried it but I'd imagine it would look like a more muted version of backlit Matias switches.

Don't know what Matias backlit looks like :P

I may or may not do it, don't know if it would be worth it on a Keycool, as much as I love them. Just would be interesting if anybody else has tried the gateron + LED combo. It might be really diffused what with the cloudy tops, although the LEDs are on the front and not inside like on the Corsair RGB.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11870 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 12:16:22 »

Don't know what Matias backlit looks like .

I think it's a Duck Orion or V2 that had backlighting and an Alps plate. There's pictures floating around with them. I'm afk on my phone or I'd find and link you.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #11871 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 15:19:34 »
I was wondering if anyone knew how many points are needed to browse the OTD marketplace.

Offline Bomble

« Reply #11872 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 17:58:47 »
mechkb.com is finally about to restock 55g RF 87u's. Before I decide to go for it in a few days I was just wondering; (mainly for my peace of mind) as someone who initially used MX blues, and never found them too heavy or fatiguing to type on, 55g Topre should be fine too, right?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11873 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 18:28:45 »
mechkb.com is finally about to restock 55g RF 87u's. Before I decide to go for it in a few days I was just wondering; (mainly for my peace of mind) as someone who initially used MX blues, and never found them too heavy or fatiguing to type on, 55g Topre should be fine too, right?

Not really an easy question and you won't get a nice clean answer. It's going to be more dependant on your tastes in switches. 55g Topre is probably a little heavier than MX Blues (I'm a Topre noob), so you'll have to decide for yourself if you like heavier switches or not.

Offline Bomble

« Reply #11874 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 19:06:56 »

Not really an easy question and you won't get a nice clean answer. It's going to be more dependant on your tastes in switches. 55g Topre is probably a little heavier than MX Blues (I'm a Topre noob), so you'll have to decide for yourself if you like heavier switches or not.

Fair enough, I think I'll pick one up based on the fact that I don't want a variable board, and that 45g uniform is hard to come by in Australia for a reasonable price. If I don't like it, I can resell it and get a 45g instead via classifieds or r/mechmarket.

Thanks for the response though :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11875 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 06:47:29 »

Fair enough, I think I'll pick one up based on the fact that I don't want a variable board, and that 45g uniform is hard to come by in Australia for a reasonable price. If I don't like it, I can resell it and get a 45g instead via classifieds or r/mechmarket.

Thanks for the response though :)

There's an Australian HHKB tour that I believe is still active. I suggest seeing if you can sign up to test it for yourself.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11876 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 07:41:55 »
The tour has ended. I was the last recipient, and I sent the board back to Jersern last Thursday.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11877 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 07:45:36 »
The tour has ended. I was the last recipient, and I sent the board back to Jersern last Thursday.

Bombie could always PM Jersern and see if he'd loan the board out again.

Offline Bomble

« Reply #11878 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 08:04:14 »
I've got an HHKB, I was just curious whether I would manage with the 55g domes considering that I've tried MX blues which are weighted similarly. But in hindsight, I probably should have mentioned my HHKB when I first asked the question, oops.  :blank:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #11879 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 08:32:47 »
I've got an HHKB, I was just curious whether I would manage with the 55g domes considering that I've tried MX blues which are weighted similarly. But in hindsight, I probably should have mentioned my HHKB when I first asked the question, oops.  :blank:

55g domes will feel heavier than MX blues. I don't find them fatiguing, but then again, I prefer an HHKB with 45g domes. I normally prefer blacks or clears in MX.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Bomble

« Reply #11880 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 09:34:36 »
I feel like I have a tendency towards heavier switches, my first board had MX blues, and when I switched to browns I had issues with accidentally pressing keys which I did not intend to. This is no longer as much of an issue as it used to be, although it still happens from time to time. I feel like 55 gram Topre should be right up my alley, but now I just have to wait until it's delivered and see.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11881 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 09:55:05 »
I switched back to mine a couple of days ago after using my HHKB for a while, felt ridiculously stiff at first. Getting more used to it now, though.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11882 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 17:10:12 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:33:04 by alienman82 »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #11883 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 17:22:06 »
What is the Cherry G81-3116SAU??  Not sure if it is rare or something it is $241 here: http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?id=1026674&C=304&S=2045
AFAIK G81 means it uses MY switches instead of MX, so that thing is overpriced would be my guess.

My boards:
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11884 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 18:47:53 »
What is the Cherry G81-3116SAU??  Not sure if it is rare or something it is $241 here: http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?id=1026674&C=304&S=2045
AFAIK G81 means it uses MY switches instead of MX, so that thing is overpriced would be my guess.

The S designates PBT dyesub caps which are highly-sought after. Perhaps the seller knows the market for these. Yes they are MY switches.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #11885 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 19:40:29 »

The S designates PBT dyesub caps which are highly-sought after. Perhaps the seller knows the market for these. Yes they are MY switches.
I didn't realize the two shared keycap compatibility. TIL.

My boards:
More

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11886 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 19:43:18 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:33:02 by alienman82 »

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #11887 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 21:23:24 »
my vintage knowledge is sorely lacking. what board do these caps originate from?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11888 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 21:24:27 »
my vintage knowledge is sorely lacking. what board do these caps originate from?

Show Image

Probably a Cherry dyesubbed PBT board. Such as the one in the question just above yours.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #11889 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 21:38:47 »
that would explain why the legends are slightly 'thicker' than on doubleshots. do you know why these sets mix both english and german? like the Enter in my photo, or the num lock in this one:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11890 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 21:44:30 »
that would explain why the legends are slightly 'thicker' than on doubleshots. do you know why these sets mix both english and german? like the Enter in my photo, or the num lock in this one:

Show Image

Probably used those caps because that Num Lock has that nice LED window. Same reasoning for the Enter key. "Enter" looks cleaner imo.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #11891 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 21:49:10 »
mmm you're right, i didn't consider these could be mix-and-matches. thanks for the help :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11892 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 22:07:33 »
I just wanted to take the time and say this because I'm not sure I say this enough. I always enjoy answering questions and researching stuff for the posts in here. I'm glad the community allows me to help out in this way. Really appreciate everyone thanking me. I just never want to clutter the thread with "you're welcome" or something along those lines. It's been a fun ride so far with this thread <3

And special thanks to everyone who contributes both questions and answers besides myself. You guys make this thread run. I just happen to be a little obsessive about this thing lol.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 March 2015, 22:09:52 by CPTBadAss »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11893 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 22:29:07 »
Thank you Cpt for making this thread, and for constantly being available to answer all manner of questions.

The OP is an invaluable reference, and I link to it often from new member posts.

:D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #11894 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 02:15:02 »
Will TEX TKL cases for Filcos work on Leopold's? I've heard a lot of people say Filcos are very similar to Leopolds so I've been curious about this for a while now. The measurements on Mechanicalkeyboards.com list both TEX and Vortex at 14.20" which would be 360mm (what my Leopold measures).
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11895 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 02:24:06 »
I just wanted to take the time and say this because I'm not sure I say this enough. I always enjoy answering questions and researching stuff for the posts in here. I'm glad the community allows me to help out in this way. Really appreciate everyone thanking me. I just never want to clutter the thread with "you're welcome" or something along those lines. It's been a fun ride so far with this thread <3

And special thanks to everyone who contributes both questions and answers besides myself. You guys make this thread run. I just happen to be a little obsessive about this thing lol.

Many thanks for all of your awesome work answering questions CPTBadAss!  :)

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #11896 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 02:27:57 »

You contributed a lot to this thread obviously  :thumb:. Thank you for keeping this happening.
I like linear switches

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #11897 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 03:04:43 »

Show Image

Not sure where the windowed num lock from because iirc there are few boards have that, but the number keys with blue arrow are came from G80-2551 HAD.  The Cherry logo are came from G80-2100

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11898 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 07:25:44 »
So I keep an eye on ebay's vintage computers section filtered by the "keyboard" keyword and last week something came up. $22 for an unidentified old-timey keyboard labelled as "clicky" by the seller, with free postage, Buy It Now. I'm sure it costs at least that just to post it to me.

Anyway, it showed up today and sure enough, White alps. Now I'm wondering if you guys can identify it, because I think it's rebranded.

On a related note, I'm wondering what kind of adapter I need to use this thing. My computer has a PS/2 port and USB ports. I'm guessing that this is what I need, but can someone confirm? Also, would that work for an IBM Model F PC AT or XT? Because I intend to get one of those when one becomes available at a good price.

Pictures

Thanks.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #11899 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 08:05:25 »
Will TEX TKL cases for Filcos work on Leopold's? I've heard a lot of people say Filcos are very similar to Leopolds so I've been curious about this for a while now. The measurements on Mechanicalkeyboards.com list both TEX and Vortex at 14.20" which would be 360mm (what my Leopold measures).

I'm curious if KBParadise V80's will fit  in the TEX TKL cases.   I would consider putting a V80 MTS with matias switches in one if it's compatible.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More