Author Topic: LED lightbulbs  (Read 5032 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
LED lightbulbs
« on: Sun, 27 February 2022, 06:56:43 »
LED lightbulbs are the latest big thing because they're so energy efficient - sounds good.  Why then on a scale of A+ to G are all the lightbulbs sold in the supermarket rated E?  Have they massively moved the goalposts in the hope of better yet to come and I should happily buy something rated "poor" or are they just selling cheap crap and I should look elsewhere?

I don't know what the scale is called so searching is getting me nowhere, the best I've found is this one on Amazon where it says F in the title but A+ in the description!  The review saying it ate £1.74 (about $2.25) in 40 mins sounds like an F to me
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: LED lightbulbs
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 February 2022, 08:57:45 »
The good ones have good drivers and good spectral profile.

The cheap ones will light up just fine, but the drivers are buzzy either in the beginning or later on,  and the light profile has sharp spectral peaks which makes _Decor_ look _Not Good_ .

Does it matter... mmmmmm.....   If you don't want wall colorant to impact Color accurate monitors,  then YES. it's quite important.

If you're not even calibrated,    it hardly matters, the Monitor is all over the place..

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 09:07:38 »
I swapped all my lightbulbs in my house to led 5 years ago.
I noticed lately that light in my living room isn't that bright like it was back then.
Is it possible that led lights die slowly and are not so bright now, or am I just getting older and my eyes are wonky?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 03:35:25 »
Is it possible that led lights die slowly and are not so bright now, or am I just getting older and my eyes are wonky?
From my sporadic research there seem to be a lot of types of LED lightbulbs and most seem to have more than one diode so maybe they can die independently?  They're all rated to last more than 5 years though if it's not bad enough you felt the need to replace them I guess they still "work"
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 10:20:22 »

Is it possible that led lights die slowly and are not so bright now

Now I have become curious. It has been my understanding that LEDs either work or they don't - are you suggesting that individual lights become more dim over time?

PS - my next birthday will start with a "7" so I am very "familiar with the concept"
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 12:22:39 »

Is it possible that led lights die slowly and are not so bright now

Now I have become curious. It has been my understanding that LEDs either work or they don't - are you suggesting that individual lights become more dim over time?

PS - my next birthday will start with a "7" so I am very "familiar with the concept"

I don't really know and cannot say for sure, but I think they may dim with time. Could they? Those led bulbs have like 20 leds on each of them, surrounded with transparent casing/tube. Maybe that tube got darker?

I'm 42 in 2 weeks, so not there yet, but my eyes definitely got older. My ophm...tologist says I have 80 year old's eyes, so it could have something to do with that too ;)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 14:08:09 »
Sometimes I still forget that there is vast information under my fingertips.

https://ledlightinginfo.com/do-led-lights-get-dimmer-over-time
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 15:38:35 »
Finally found my answer and it is as suspected - no-one can get close to making a good lightbulb :p
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline azzipa

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 08:51:29 »
i haven’t read about led dimming but i have experienced it. bulbs were 5.5 years old when i replaced them.

I swapped all my lightbulbs in my house to led 5 years ago.
I noticed lately that light in my living room isn't that bright like it was back then.