geekhack Community > Off Topic

is aud1ophi1e stuff BS ?

(1/18) > >>

tp4tissue:
seems like random prices, ontop of misuse of measurement methodology.

SBJ:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Sat, 01 October 2022, 10:14:44 ---seems like random prices, ontop of misuse of measurement methodology.

Show Image

--- End quote ---
You're going to need to clarify what you mean?
I don't have audiophile stuff I'd say.
Got 1 schiit modi + 1 schiit loki hooked up to a HAD-1.
The magic happens in the Loki tho, I love what it does to the sound.

noisyturtle:
A lot of room treatment stuff is very overpriced and easy to make fun of, but SBJ is right, there is a huge spectrum.
Cables are another one, I laugh at people who buy there absurd thicc $1k audio cables as if it makes any difference at all whatsoever vs a $100 cable.
And the only people who own these $200k systems are ancient men who's ears and audio range capabilities are already failing so they cannot hear their system properly anyway. Like old people who buy a Ferrari so they can drive 30mph to the bingo parlor.

yui:
there is a lot of completely wack **** in audiophile stuff, look at the latest Techmoan video for a cd demagnetizer for example, or ltt's video on hdmi cables they even sell audiophile grade ethernet cables, but on the other side of the spectrum you have things that actually matter, like good dacs that do not have a crazy noise floor and amps that do not distort the sound too much... you need to sift through the mud of bs to find the pearls of truth :)

suicidal_orange:
I'm only familiar with the headphone side of audiophilia where frequency response graphs have their place but they rely on fake ear canals which may or may not be similar to your ear.  I've listened to the Sennheiser Orpheus and while I wouldn't pay $50,000 for a set they did sound very good...

--- Quote from: StickyBlueJuice on Sat, 01 October 2022, 10:23:48 ---I don't have audiophile stuff I'd say.
Got 1 schiit modi + 1 schiit loki hooked up to a HAD-1.
The magic happens in the Loki tho, I love what it does to the sound.
--- End quote ---
So that's an amp and a hardware equaliser?  Definitely audiophile stuff, just sensibly priced :thumb:  What's your source?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version