Author Topic: Left side only Ergo Dox vs Moonlander  (Read 4119 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Left side only Ergo Dox vs Moonlander
« on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 19:47:44 »
So, I just got my son a new desktop pc.  He does a fair bit of gaming and I want to get him game pad for the left side.  He has tried my Orbweaver and likes the idea, but doesn't like the shape of the palm rest.  So, I am debating on building/buying him either a left side only Ergo Dox or left side only Moonlander. I really like the idea of the moonlander for the adjustable tilt on the thumb section.  So, I have a few questions.  I am decent with a soldering iron and have no issues with physically building the keyboard, I just don't have that great of luck with firmware without a GUI.

Is there anywhere that you can get just a left side moonlander? 

Is there a way to make the thumb section of the ergo dox tiltable?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: Left side only Ergo Dox vs Moonlander
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 20:00:18 »
Are the left and right side PCBs for the ergo dox the same?  For instance, could I buy a PCB kit from mechanicalkeyboards.com and be able to build a pair of left side only setups?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 13:31:19 »
Long time no see :)

Most Ergodox PCBs are invertible and that includes the ones in the pics on MK.com - you can tell because there are 4 holes for each switch.

You could cut the PCB and run jumper wires from the switches/diodes on the thumb sections back to where they should connect to the main board, then you would just need to work out how to mount them.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 15:27:17 »
Are the left and right side PCBs for the ergo dox the same?  For instance, could I buy a PCB kit from mechanicalkeyboards.com and be able to build a pair of left side only setups?
The original ErgoDOX PCB has the same PCB design for both sides, yes.
Because the Teensy 2.0 microcontroller board is supposed to go on the right side, you would have to mount it upside-down.
Think of it as the right keyboard but upside-down and all components on the opposite side.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 20:21:15 »
Long time no see :)

Most Ergodox PCBs are invertible and that includes the ones in the pics on MK.com - you can tell because there are 4 holes for each switch.

You could cut the PCB and run jumper wires from the switches/diodes on the thumb sections back to where they should connect to the main board, then you would just need to work out how to mount them.

It has been a while.  Still using my OG Kishy as well.  Though I think I need to tear it down and clean it.  It sat for a while due to noise and the desktop being right outside the bedroom.  During that time I was using my wifes Filco MJ2 TKL with blacks.  Some keys ramdomly need to be pressed a bunch of times to begin to register.  Probably just a bit of dust or something in there. 

The original ErgoDOX PCB has the same PCB design for both sides, yes.
Because the Teensy 2.0 microcontroller board is supposed to go on the right side, you would have to mount it upside-down.
Think of it as the right keyboard but upside-down and all components on the opposite side.

Thanks for the replies.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 December 2021, 02:30:52 by suicidal_orange »

Offline Larken

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 11:04:58 »
The OG Ergodox is still my main daily driver but I'm pretty sure it'll be a pain to shift the teensy over to the left side.

You could look into the Lily58 instead for a left hand only keyboard. Cheaper and it'll save you effort of having to figure out how to shift the teensy to the left side and adjust the firmware accordingly. Another option is the Sofle.

For a tilted (not adjustable) thumb cluster, you could consider handwiring a left hand Dactyl Manuform (case needs to be 3d printed). One thing you'd have to look out for with all these keyboards is how fragile the micro usb are on the pro micros (the ports tends to shear off or just fail with repeated unplugging; I use a dab of epoxy on the ports before I solder them in, but usb-c breakout boards are great if the keyboard case has room for it).

| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline sanmiguel

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 September 2022, 03:53:05 »
Just wanted to reply here in case you never resolved this: you can now buy just the LHS of the Moonlander direct from ZSA, called the Half Moon: https://www.zsa.io/halfmoon