Author Topic: Post your Topre Keyboard  (Read 2625876 times)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Post your Topre Keyboard
« Reply #3900 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:33:16 »
I don't understand the love for flipped spacebars... my thumb slides right off everytime I try it.  :-[

When I hit space I move my thumb forward and to the left more than I move it down, I basically sweep the key so it makes sense for me.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Moralless

« Reply #3901 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:36:53 »
I don't understand the love for flipped spacebars... my thumb slides right off everytime I try it.  :-[

When I hit space I move my thumb forward and to the left more than I move it down, I basically sweep the key so it makes sense for me.

What do you think of the 55g domes on the HHKB? I'm planning to get a HHKB and already entertaining the thought of installing 55g domes in it. Did you have a bit of a test with the realforce before you took the domes out? From what I've read, putting 55g domes in a stock HHKB isn't as good as the realforce but putting the domes on a dental banded/type - s HHKB feels great. How true do you think this is?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #3902 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:41:53 »

What do you think of the 55g domes on the HHKB? I'm planning to get a HHKB and already entertaining the thought of installing 55g domes in it. Did you have a bit of a test with the realforce before you took the domes out? From what I've read, putting 55g domes in a stock HHKB isn't as good as the realforce but putting the domes on a dental banded/type - s HHKB feels great. How true do you think this is?

Both feel great. I've tried 55g in four boards (hhkb, hhkb type-s, real force, and silenced real force) it feel snappy in the real force and slightly heavier/snappier in the hhkb.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3903 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:50:58 »

I didn't use the RF much, but 55g is definitely more tactile and heavier, if you like 55g I would recommend you do the change you'll be glad you did.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3904 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:51:29 »

Both feel great. I've tried 55g in four boards (hhkb, hhkb type-s, real force, and silenced real force) it feel snappy in the real force and slightly heavier/snappier in the hhkb.

I've tried 55g in a Realforce and an HHKB (exitfire's), and I feel the opposite.  xD  I found that the HHKB felt dampened and mushy and it wasn't as good as the stock HHKB.  Mushy in a non-traditional way; not MY mushy, but just not crisp and snappy like the 45g HHKB is, almost like the HHKB was holding it back somehow.

I'm just saying this to show that even with this mod that a lot of people like, it still comes down to opinion.  ;)  You'll just have to try everything to decide what you like.  :))

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #3905 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 22:04:55 »

I've tried 55g in a Realforce and an HHKB (exitfire's), and I feel the opposite.  xD  I found that the HHKB felt dampened and mushy and it wasn't as good as the stock HHKB.  Mushy in a non-traditional way; not MY mushy, but just not crisp and snappy like the 45g HHKB is, almost like the HHKB was holding it back somehow.

I'm just saying this to show that even with this mod that a lot of people like, it still comes down to opinion.  ;)  You'll just have to try everything to decide what you like.  :))

My deep. I just said it feels that way in the hhkb and not which one. The normal one feels snappier and the type-s feels mushier due to the dampening. I don't mind the feeling in my type-s, but for almost everyone else, I'd recommend with going wit the normal hhkb. It's a lot better for your money, and if you decide to silence it, you can do so for about $15. Overall, the type-s is just mushier.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 January 2015, 22:06:52 by exitfire401 »
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3906 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 22:17:09 »

My deep. I just said it feels that way in the hhkb and not which one. The normal one feels snappier and the type-s feels mushier due to the dampening. I don't mind the feeling in my type-s, but for almost everyone else, I'd recommend with going wit the normal hhkb. It's a lot better for your money, and if you decide to silence it, you can do so for about $15. Overall, the type-s is just mushier.

Oooooh, I had forgotten your HHKB is Type-S.

What I said above only applies to HHKB Type-S modified with 55g domes, just for the record.   :thumb:   Have never tried a regular HHKB 55g.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3907 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 22:23:43 »

What I said above only applies to HHKB Type-S modified with 55g domes, just for the record.   :thumb:   Have never tried a regular HHKB 55g.

I can help change that.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3908 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 22:25:23 »

I can help change that.

:-X  Uhhh.

My wallet.   :confused:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3909 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 22:28:01 »
Now with 55g domes, I'm actually excited to start my design brief for school now. Not sure how I feel about the flipped space but I'll give it a week.

(Attachment Link)

Flipped space is love. Flipped space is life.

weak. that's what. "oh no the spacebar is too high/sharp for my wittle fingers"
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #3910 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 22:37:13 »
Now with 55g domes, I'm actually excited to start my design brief for school now. Not sure how I feel about the flipped space but I'll give it a week.

(Attachment Link)

I did it on my Poker 2 because I slouched when I sat, but then I tried it on my HHKB, and I kept hitting the case, and then I decided to sit more properly in my chair, so now there is no more need for the flipped bar.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3911 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 22:42:10 »

(Attachment Link)

I did it on my Poker 2 because I slouched when I sat, but then I tried it on my HHKB, and I kept hitting the case, and then I decided to sit more properly in my chair, so now there is no more need for the flipped bar.

well your first mistake is owning cherry.

but correctly placed spacebar on a hhkb saved you from going to keyboard hell.

praise topre.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3912 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 00:21:20 »
Trying some new color combinations today.  I kind of really like the way this looks.

10AE by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

I'm not proud of this photo, but I'm including it anyway.  My setup doesn't like these long distance shots.   :-X

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3913 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 00:26:07 »
I think Pea Soup and the red clash a bit. Do you have any other wasd sets or topre clacks?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3914 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 00:33:01 »
I think Pea Soup and the red clash a bit.

:'( 

I kid.   :-*

Do you have any other wasd sets or topre clacks?

I have red, lavender, yellow, and light blue WASD sets.  Lavender looks okay but seems to clash a bit with the blue mods.  Yellow is out because it looks goofy with the Clack and is too bright for the blue mods.  Light blue clashes way hard with the blue mods. 
I have the Unconcious Skull ("Unecessary White eyes on Historic Blue"), but that blue also clashes.  Too many conflicting blues...  :(

Maybe a purple bot would do the trick.  I'll be back SoonTM with that.

All this said, I don't think the red and green clash that bad, so I might just keep the Clack.  :P

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3915 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 00:36:21 »

I have red, lavender, yellow, and light blue WASD sets.  Lavender looks okay but seems to clash a bit with the blue mods.  Yellow is out because it looks goofy with the Clack and is too bright for the blue mods.  Light blue clashes way hard with the blue mods. 
I have the Unconcious Skull ("Unecessary White eyes on Historic Blue"), but that blue also clashes.  Too many conflicting blues...  :(

All this said, I don't think the red and green clash that bad, so I might just keep the Clack.  :P

It's your board so it's up to you, the current setup looks really clean. That being said you should try the Bliss. I'm always on board for more pictures of that Bot.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3916 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 00:47:03 »

It's your board so it's up to you, the current setup looks really clean. That being said you should try the Bliss. I'm always on board for more pictures of that Bot.

Haha, I know it's my board, but I definitely appreciate input.   :thumb:   (both on caps and pictures  :-[ )
Didn't mean for that to be so dismissive.  :P

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3917 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 00:51:34 »
Haha, I know it's my board, but I definitely appreciate input.   :thumb:   (both on caps and pictures  :-[ )

Show Image

Show Image

:)) Pea Soup looked better, but that BB deserves to be on a board.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #3918 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 00:54:16 »
Trying some new color combinations today.  I kind of really like the way this looks.

Show Image

I'm not proud of this photo, but I'm including it anyway.  My setup doesn't like these long distance shots.   :-X
Show Image

I like the contrast, and the red does look good with the grey and blue, but does clash with the Pea Soup. 

Show Image

Show Image

The lavender WASD cluster would look great with that Purple Bliss :D <3 Maybe I need to do that... seeing that I have both...

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #3919 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 01:04:54 »

Show Image

Show Image

Ohh I actually really like it, it does clash a little but still looks nice, especially like the Red WASD on there, I need to find one of those....
Hoff could I ask a favour, would you do a shot with the unconscious skull? I was thinking of doing that but you say it clashes  :-X

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #3920 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 19:09:53 »
HHKB in my AP Programming class

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3921 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 20:33:47 »
JOJ

Offline compgeke

« Reply #3922 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 20:54:07 »
Type Heaven 104 PCB anyone?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3923 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 20:59:35 »
Type Heaven 104 PCB anyone?

Show Image

Show me yours I'll show you mine?

87538-0

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #3924 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 21:01:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

purple bliss is impossible to photograph,

dat 10th anni though, drooool
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3925 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 17:47:24 »

stormtrooper w/ pink kwk fn, correct spacebar orientation.

basically, best keyboard ever.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3926 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 17:49:51 »
Show Image

That's an excellent pic but there seems to be a typo. You said "best keyboard ever" but I don't see a pic of a Realforce 55 anywhere :P

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3927 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 17:50:59 »
Show Image

That's an excellent pic but there seems to be a typo. You said "best keyboard ever" but I don't see a pic of a Realforce 55 anywhere :P

dude if we could get the 55g RF feeling in hhkb, it would be game over, for life.

but RF too big, and hhkb layout godly.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3928 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 18:11:15 »
Show Image

dude if we could get the 55g RF feeling in hhkb, it would be game over, for life.

but RF too big, and hhkb layout godly.

I swear the 55g RF feels lighter than the 55g HHKB I made, is that a thing?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3929 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 18:13:12 »
probably has to do with plate vs case mount

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #3930 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 18:14:02 »

Was just about to say this. Think it's because the plastic of the case is more rigid.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3931 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 18:18:15 »
Show Image

Hold on a second.. that pic isn't anywhere near a potato..

Demik, is that you? :eek:
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3932 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 18:23:04 »

Was just about to say this. Think it's because the plastic of the case is more rigid.

I think I like the 55g HHKB more than the RF but I didn't really use the RF for that long.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3933 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 18:35:31 »
Show Image

somebody noticed!!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3934 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 18:38:56 »
Show Image

demik got a big boy camera!  Did you miss his post in the mail thread when he got a lens too?   ^-^

We're all very proud.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #3935 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 18:45:44 »
Show Image

somebody noticed!!
Show Image

wut, wut WUT?  demik got a real camera and an hhkb and a PINK FN KEY?  he's going to get kicked out of his neighborhood.   #keepitreal 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3936 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 18:51:23 »
hhkb users rule their blocks bruh, aint nobody kicking me out.

PLUS I GOT A PINK FN BASICALLY UNTOUCHABLE.

Offline Valen

« Reply #3937 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 03:43:40 »
Here is my 2nd Topre.
Is there a way to remap those two keys beside the space bar and "Kana" key? I am using a Mac and they do not seem to output a key code.

Offline MessyCaps

• Stressed out cap maker taking a break :S
« Reply #3938 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 04:01:10 »
Here is my 2nd Topre.
Is there a way to remap those two keys beside the space bar and "Kana" key? I am using a Mac and they do not seem to output a key code.
Show Image

Dat SA profile

Offline BB__

« Reply #3939 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 05:36:31 »
Here is my 2nd Topre.
Show Image

You can use https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/seil.html.en to produce key code of KANA, MUHENKAN etc.
Also https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/index.html.en for remapping.

Offline Valen

« Reply #3940 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 08:01:14 »
Thanks BB__, I did not know that I had to install Seil to enable those keys.  :thumb:
No bumps? No problem, just get some stickers from your kids. Found these really small raised lettering stickers and they are perfect for the job.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3941 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 09:19:48 »
Here is my 2nd Topre.
Show Image

Dat SA profile
Show Image

SA profile caps are a signature plastics product for MX stems. Those aren't SA caps.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #3942 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 19:32:16 »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #3943 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 19:33:28 »
Thanks BB__, I did not know that I had to install Seil to enable those keys.  :thumb:
No bumps? No problem, just get some stickers from your kids. Found these really small raised lettering stickers and they are perfect for the job.
Show Image

Thats a great solution, the colors look great on there too!

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3944 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 20:11:25 »
Show Image

!!!!
10th Anniversary, congrats! Love the case color, and those caps. I look at those on ebay everyday, but then remember i'm too poor to afford them.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3945 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 20:15:14 »
Show Image

10th AE!!  :D  Congrats!  Which layout is that?

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #3946 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 20:17:28 »
Show Image

JIS :-X

Takes a little getting used to, and I'm still figuring out how to remap some of the Japanese keys

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3947 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 20:32:27 »
Show Image

JIS :-X

Takes a little getting used to, and I'm still figuring out how to remap some of the Japanese keys

JIS is the most baller layout

it's just such a pain at first
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #3948 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 21:07:25 »
Hey guys,
going to head off to tokyo for a holiday in a few weeks and was looking through the information about keyboard shopping on GH.
I was comparing the prices for the HHKB Pro 2(non blanks caps) in either white or black, doesn't really matter and apparently with the yen as it is right now, the HHKB costs about half in tokyo than what i can find it for in Singapore. This is only a preliminary check, going through Yodobashi Camera's site. Not too sure whether I'll get a tax rebate since i'm a foreigner. Or if i do get a rebate, how'd I go about doing that.

The half off is a very tempting deal. I guess my main question would be, should I just make a beeline to Yodobashi or would the smaller shops,if any, provide a better price?

The Realforces are even cheaper compared to the HHKBs but if i do get it, it'll be a lugging around keyboard so I'd want it as compact as possible. And I've read people raving about the layout of the HHKBs and keen to try it out myself.
ALi
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Browns | KC60 Gateron Browns

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #3949 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 21:16:19 »
Hey guys,
going to head off to tokyo for a holiday in a few weeks and was looking through the information about keyboard shopping on GH.
I was comparing the prices for the HHKB Pro 2(non blanks caps) in either white or black, doesn't really matter and apparently with the yen as it is right now, the HHKB costs about half in tokyo than what i can find it for in Singapore. This is only a preliminary check, going through Yodobashi Camera's site. Not too sure whether I'll get a tax rebate since i'm a foreigner. Or if i do get a rebate, how'd I go about doing that.

The half off is a very tempting deal. I guess my main question would be, should I just make a beeline to Yodobashi or would the smaller shops,if any, provide a better price?

The Realforces are even cheaper compared to the HHKBs but if i do get it, it'll be a lugging around keyboard so I'd want it as compact as possible. And I've read people raving about the layout of the HHKBs and keen to try it out myself.

I don't know about pricing or anything but half off HHKBs or even cheaper Realforces makes me made jelly.